Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Body Building and Nutriment

TalismanTalisman Veteran
edited June 2011 in Philosophy
Recently, in the last few months or so, I have begun working out regularly by myself and on occassion with my dad. I go to the gym about 3-4 times a week. I've also increased my calorie intake significantly and started drinking weight gainer. I have a very high metabolism and am trying to gain weight and muscle mass. It feels really good to work out, and my body feels healthier, stronger, and more attractive. I feel like I have more energy, and my confidence is improving. All good things in my book. I haven't started putting a whole lot of attention into my diet yet, since this is a fairly recent development. (I have never in my life been interested in diet or excersize until recently.)

I am reading about dependent and origination and nutriment in a book by Thanissaro Bhikkhu called "Shape of Suffering." He quotes the Buddha in one section:

“And how is physical food to be regarded? Suppose a couple, husband &
wife, taking meager provisions, were to travel through a desert. With them
would be their only baby son, dear & appealing. Then the meager provisions of
the couple going through the desert would be used up & depleted while there
was still a stretch of the desert yet to be crossed. The thought would occur to
them, ‘Our meager provisions are used up & depleted while there is still a stretch
of this desert yet to be crossed. What if we were to kill this only baby son of
ours, dear & appealing, and make dried meat & jerky. That way—chewing on
the flesh of our son—at least the two of us would make it through this desert.
Otherwise, all three of us would perish.’ So they would kill their only baby son,
loved & endearing, and make dried meat & jerky. Chewing on the flesh of their
son, they would make it through the desert. While eating the flesh of their only
son, they would beat their breasts, (crying,) ‘Where have you gone, our only baby son? Where have you gone, our only baby son?’ Now what do you think, monks: Would that couple eat that food playfully or for intoxication, or for putting on bulk, or for beautification?”
“No, lord.”
“Wouldn’t they eat that food simply for the sake of making it through that
desert?”
“Yes, lord.”
“In the same way, I tell you, is the nutriment of physical food to be regarded.
When physical food is comprehended, passion for the five strings of sensuality is
comprehended. When passion for the five strings of sensuality is comprehended,
there is no fetter bound by which a disciple of the noble ones would come back
again to this world.

-SN 12.63
The part that gets me is "putting on bulk." Do you think that working out like I am for the purpose of gaining weight and muscle would be considered wrong action? Perhaps more importantly, I should be focusing on my health rather than my physique, which I don't think would violate the message of this passage. I am working out and eating well in order to improve my health so that I may be fit for "crossing the desert" as it were. I'm not trying to make excuses or anything, I'm just curious what you folks think.

On a positive note, I started at 145 lbs and am up to 163. This is the most I've ever weighed. Lots of definition and strength improvment. I'm thinking of joining a martial arts lesson to improve my flexibility and reflexes as well. Since I quit smoking and drinking a couple months before starting to work out as well, my breathing excersizes and mind have felt clearer and more energetic. It feels great!
:)

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I interpret that passage to mean that Buddha is telling us we should be canibals. :eek:

But seriously, excercise can help us feel better and more energetic. From a Buddhist point of view maybe you'll feel happier and more motivated to meditate. In the end it all comes down to intention. If your motivation is to improve your health so you can be better able to help others, thats the ideal. Even with a lesser motivation I feel that exercise is a better use of your time than sitting around watching TV or whatever else you may be doing instead, plus the extra energy helps in the rest of your life. I say, keep it up. :thumbsup:
  • Yes right, there is nothing wrong with bulking up as long as you don't use steroids. It helps me with several things. Helps me take out aggression, helps me feel good, helps me look good, and of course it strengthens your body. So it's a good and healthy hobby to have.
  • You still could be world champion with vegetarianism such as:

American body builder, Mr. America Body Building champion
    Jhoon Rhee Korean-born Tae Kwon Do martial arts master
    Robert Hazeley British bodybuilder
    Stan Price American world weightlifting record holder, Bench Press
    Sixto Linares American world record holder, 24-hour Triathlon
    Scott Jurek American vegan ultra-marathon runner and record-setting winner of Badwater Ultramarathon
    Shih Hsin Chen Formosan Olympic Tae Kwon Do gold medal winner
    Eder Jofre Brazilian greatest boxer and council-man of San Paulo city
    Ridgely Abele American 8-time national champion, Karate
    cheers folks :thumbsup:

http://al.godsdirectcontact.org.tw/vg-vip/query/index.php?Page=2&nation=All&category=sport&keyword=
  • wow awesome
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    i think there is a middle path in everything. bulking up like a professional bodybuilder is one extreme and living the life of a couch potato is the other. so long as you fall somewhere in the middle area, i'd say you're probably fine. :)

as a side note, there are real reasons for having more muscle mass. strength is an attribute at times and i work to increase my upper body strength for my job. i enjoy looking fit, but the more muscular i am, the less i have to strain and possibly injure myself.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    I haven't started putting a whole lot of attention into my diet yet, since this is a fairly recent development. (I have never in my life been interested in diet or excersize until recently.)
    Just eat mindfully, slowly, with intent and awareness.

I think bulk in the sutta was fat.
  • Im amazed you gained 20 lbs of clean bulk without taking care of your diet.

• lol I've never been a very unhealthy eater to begin with, but I'm definitely not the healthiest eater either. Lots of mexican food and cheeseburgers. :rolleyes:
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    I do my best to remain physically fit for practical reasons. When an emergency happens I am not going to be one of those fat weak slobs that lets other people down.