Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Did buddha give dharma transmission to ananda

JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
edited July 2011 in Buddhism Today
Did buddha transmit all of the dharma to ananda?

1) Was it an oral list which ananda regurgitated?
2) Did ananda have enlightenment such that he knew which material to teach out of buddhas 80 years?
3) To what degree do WE know the answer to 1 and 2 factually granted that this occured 2500 years ago?

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited July 2011
    For lineage purposes, transmission is an important matter. It weaves a wonderful tapestry that may encourage (and also mislead) others.

But for practical (i.e. living) purposes, I think it is wise to remember the words of a Zen teacher whose name I have forgotten when he said to his transmitted student, "You must remember that there is something that cannot be transmitted."

• 3) To what degree do WE know the answer to 1 and 2 factually granted that this
    occured 2500 years ago?

To no degree:) We cannot even be sure if the bbuddha was a single person. We can be sure that the True Dharma was discovered and taught.

• 3) To what degree do WE know the answer to 1 and 2 factually granted that this
    occured 2500 years ago?

To no degree:) We cannot even be sure if the bbuddha was a single person. We can be sure that the True Dharma was discovered and taught.
    :thumbsup:
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

3) To what degree do WE know the answer to 1 and 2 factually granted that this
    occured 2500 years ago?

@thickpaper -- We can only be sure if we realize and actualize the True Dharma ourselves. Anything less is hopeful pipe-dreaming. Much-accepted, perhaps, but pipe-dreaming nonetheless.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Ananda was the Buddha's attendant, so Ananda listened to most of the Buddha's teachings. The Buddha taught in repetitive lists, for the purpose of retention and oral transmission. :)

If we actually take the time to study the Pali suttas, we may experience for ourselves how it is not too difficult to remember the teachings. Why? Because they were taught in a manner for easy retention. Thus, instead of getting caught up in speculations that hinder our spiritual life, we can learn for ourselves there is nothing contraversial about this thread. :)

There are many who can recite the entire Koran. If that is the case then to remember the Buddha's discourses is much more easy. Why? Because the Buddha was complete in compassion. He taught in a manner so we can easily remember his teachings. Yet many of us have so many doubts; so much resistence. :)

• There are many who can recite the entire Koran. If that is the case then to remember the Buddha's discourses is much more easy. Why? Because the Buddha was complete in compassion. He taught in a manner so we can easily remember his teachings. Yet many of us have so many doubts; so much resistence. :)
    Isn't this apples and oranges? I mean the sutras are much, much longer and you say that we can remember his discourses because he taught with complete compassion. I would say that you seem to be positing the Buddha's compassion as an outside power that makes the sutras easier to remember than the Koran. A Muslim may say that it's the grace of Allah that makes it easier to remember the Koran than the sutras.

Am I missing something here? It just doesn't make sense to me.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Dhamma Dhatu,

So your opinion is that the transmission was 1). Do you think that ananda would have been able to give teachings himself had he not been able to regurgitate the words of buddha?

Why did he select those words in particular? As opposed to different words in buddha's 80 years.

On what basis are you suggesting that buddha himself urged chanting of his words? How do we know that the sutras were not derived post mortum from monks understandings? How good is our archaelogical record to support that the sutras were chanted DURING buddhas life? At what date was it committed to writing that there was any such chanting? Couldn't a legend have arisen during that period of time? A written record as in legal matters is more convincing I find.

For example the first discourse. Nobody knew that anything was special about buddha. Was someone walking around with a casette recorder which they later committed the teaching to a chant?

edited July 2011
    Am I missing something here?
    yes...the buddha taught about...

the 1 goal; the 1 person
    the 2 bright protectors; the 2 kinds of happiness
    the 3 characteristics; the 3 defilements; the 3 fold training
    the 4 noble truths; the 4 brahma vihara; the 4 satipatthana; the 4 qualities of good marriage; the 4 modes of material (economic) happiness
    the 5 aggregtes; the 5 powers; the 5 contemplations; the 5 precepts;
    the 6 directions; the 6 elements; the 6 sense spheres; the 6 roads to ruin
    the 7 factors of enlightenment; the 7 kinds of wives; the 7 qualities of a wise person
    the 8 fold noble path; the 8 vicissitudes of life
    the 9 actions an arahant cannot perform
    the 10 factors of skillfulness and 10 factors of unskilfulness; the 10 foods of ignorance
    the 11 benefits of loving-kindness
    the 12 modes of dependent origination and 12 modes of dependent cessation
    the 16 stages of anapanasati
    the 18 contemplations of feeling
    the 37 bodhipakiyadhammas

these are not difficult to remember :mullet:
    edited July 2011
    @Jeffrey

definitely not. there is one sutta (from thousands) which states Ananda was a stream enterer but the evidence of his behaviour in the suttas, to me, would suggest otherwise. in fact the buddha declared the one person who could teach like him was Sariputta

select what words? the Pali teachings of the Buddha are extremely repetitive & uniform. the great standards state if a sutta stands out like a sore thumb, inconsistent with the rest, it is to be rejected as the words of the Buddha

i did not mention chanting...however there is a sutta that mentions recitation as benefical

how do we know that the Pali sutta were not derived post mortum from monks understandings? because of their uniformity & consistency. i suggested you read them for yourself rather than starting threads like without study

the first discourse is scientific fact. to question it is too declare ignorance. all beings from all traditions that have experienced suffering & its cessation do not question the first sermon

suffering = attachment or self-cherishing
    origin of suffering = craving/ignorant expectation
    cessation of suffering = cessation of craving & self-cherishing
    path = 8 fold path = mindfulness keeping the mind free from craving & self-cherishing

best wishes :)

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2011
    The first discourse may be scientific but that doesn't explain why it was recorded when beings did not know buddha was special. You glossed over that.

I thank you for your entreaty to enjoy the sutras.

Your argument is that because the sutras are uniform they must have originated from buddha. This reasoning is flawed because the sutras may have been composed uniformly hundreds of years post-mortem.