Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What are your personal thoughts on Enlightenment? What do you think it actually is??

zenmystezenmyste Veteran
edited July 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Do you think its something where one is in complete BLISS every single minute of every single day??

Or is it just more of an 'ahhhh ok i get it now' kind of thing...

Do you believe like ZEN it can be achieved in any moment?

And if someone is enlightened does that mean he never argues with anyone. or stands up for what he believes in?
what if a person murderd his wife or friend...would he not get angry???

of course i think they still would. my view of enlightenment is just understanding life. understanding things the way they are. But this doesnt mean we wouldnt still feel emotions. We would just know why we feel the way we do.
I think its impossible NOT to feel love, joy, anger, hate etc etc....whether enlightened or not..

ZEN SAYING: ''before enlightenment chop wood carry water, after enlightenment, chop wood carry water''
i love it.

what are your thoughts on enlightenment?
regards to all.

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    We are not attached to a self so all hte love joy anger and hate is sensitivity rather than a klesha
  • auraaura Veteran
    I regard enlightenment as the total merging with and non-differentiation of self from the light that becomes visible at the point of death and that pervades the universe.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Enlightenment is just seeing what is and through seeing what is there is no attachment towards all mental phenomena. And by no attachment I mean one is fully engaged. So anger arises and then passes just like the thunderstorm arises and passes.
    Enlightenment is a being who embodies infinite potential and infinite expression. Thus one is free from everything (thoughts, emotions, etc). That does not mean one avoids these things. In actually one feels such things even more fully, but since there is a radical awareness, one just accepts it all...and naturally like all things they arise and fall.

So there is the non dual awareness and then the realization of the emptiness of all things. Then realizing there is only truth. And then realizing how this truth functions in such world. For most people it is a sudden awakening and gradual cultivation.

So in one sense one is already enlightened and one is unenlightening themselves in every moment. Just seeing, tasting, hearing, smelling, feeling, and thinking = buddha.

But don't take my word for it. Find out for yourself.
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    edited July 2011
    And if someone is enlightened does that mean he never argues with anyone. or stands up for what he believes in?
    I think he wouldn't get angry because life is impermanent like all else. He would see that anger would only bring further despair. I believe he would mourn for the loss of life and move on.
    I think its impossible NOT to feel love, joy, anger, hate etc etc....whether enlightened or not..
    Feelings are optional. You can completely destroy your emotions and feelings. However, it is not wise to do so. Of those you mentioned, anger and hate tend to bring about only more dukkha. Love and joy are part of the happiness of living in enlightenment. However, all result in dukkha when we attach ourselves to these feelings.
    ZEN SAYING: ''before enlightenment chop wood carry water, after enlightenment, chop wood carry water''
    i love it.
    I believe this saying is talking about the functional self. Obviously, we cannot ignore what needs to be done. You can't say "I'm enlightened, therefore I do not need to wash dishes". Well... then you have nothing to eat on. Some things still need to be done regardless of enlightenment.

The quote doesn't say "before enlightenment, get angry and hate others; after enlightenment, get angry and hate others"

We learn about equanimity and the five hindrances and samsara and dukkha for a reason. Perfect cultivation of equanimity would be not to hate even the person who killed you. After all, your life is impermanent and death its certain end.

I don't know why you say "complete BLISS" when it's just happiness in every moment. "complete BLISS" has the connotation of sensory ecstasy to me, that's all. Happiness connotes something entirely different to me. It connotes satisfaction, fulfillment, contentment, peace, sound.
  • jlljll Veteran
    Buddha said it takes an enlightened person to know an enlightened person. AFAIK, nobody on this forum is enlightened.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Actually there are quite a bit of enlightened folks on this forum. Open your eyes it is pretty obvious.
  • jlljll Veteran
    I would not recognise them since I am not enlightened.
    Actually there are quite a bit of enlightened folks on this forum. Open your eyes it is pretty obvious.
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    Buddha said it takes an enlightened person to know an enlightened person. AFAIK, nobody on this forum is enlightened.
    Definitely. It all depends on how you define enlightenment after all. Also, I believe we may have small enlightenments. Like an "Aha!" moment where you realize a piece of the truth of reality.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Well I hope you see them soon! Because when you start seeing them, you're seeing yourself. As all things are a mirror to you.
  • Well I hope you see them soon! Because when you start seeing them, you're seeing yourself. As all things are a mirror to you.
    What if your being really generous to another, and they stabbed you in the back?? How are they a mirror of me?
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    Enlightenment => Old man :" Oh, there they were ! My glasses are there!"
  • Enlightenment => Old man :" Oh, there they were ! My glasses are there!"
    yes we all have these kind of moments. And thats exactly what i think enlightement is...I dont think its this AMAZING THING...X
  • Probably somewhere along the lines of... "I am happy and satisfied with not being reborn to this realm ever again".
  • Well I hope you see them soon! Because when you start seeing them, you're seeing yourself. As all things are a mirror to you.
    What if your being really generous to another, and they stabbed you in the back?? How are they a mirror of me?
    What taiyaki means is the traits which you see in another person are really traits you see within yourself.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Like it Nomad
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited July 2011
    i love it.
    why do you love it? is it because you imagine the things you love doing now you will continue to do after you are enlightened?

to me, this Zen saying is so ridiculous. after enlightenment, the view of the world and of life will change profoundly

that is why it is call 'enlightenment'. when the buddha gained enlightenment, in his first sermon, he said his mind discovered and experienced things never experienced before

sure, you will eat everyday and take a bath everyday but these things are not really important

:)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Because the unconditional nature of mind has not changed. Clarity Openness and Sensitivity.

The only difference is that grasping has ceased.
    edited July 2011

Enlightenment can be acheived in any moment but the mind must be free from love, joy, anger, hate, etc, etc

As the Zen Patriarch said: "The Supreme Way is not difficult, when one does not pick and choose, Neither love nor hate, and you will clearly understand"

:)

edited July 2011
    The only difference is that grasping has ceased.
    Everything changes (except eating food, going to the toilet, etc). :)

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Only grasping ceases.. anger is still there but there is no grasping so it is just a clear no or a clear yes.
  • Anger ceases...
  • Anger ceases...gobbledegook ceases...

• aMattaMatt Veteran
    Only grasping ceases.. anger is still there but there is no grasping so it is just a clear no or a clear yes.
    Some call the qualties you're pointing at as a one or none returner. When afflictive emotions arise, but they are worked with skillfully and put to rest.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2011
    anger is just a 'no' without grasping
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    anger is a distortion of the faculty to pass through obstacles.. It is distorted by thinking of a self who is getting rid of something 'out there'
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

>>>Do you think its something where one is in complete BLISS every single minute of every single day??

More like "equanimity", IMO.

>>>Do you believe like ZEN it can be achieved in any moment?

Yes.

>>>And if someone is enlightened does that mean he never argues with anyone.

Depends on what you mean by "argue".

>>>or stands up for what he believes in?

They would stand up for what they believed in if it was appropriate to do so.

>>>what if a person murderd his wife or friend...would he not get angry???

No they wouldn't.

>>>of course i think they still would. my view of enlightenment is just understanding life. understanding things the way they are. But this doesnt mean we wouldnt still feel emotions. We would just know why we feel the way we do.

Emotions that arise from grasping and aversion simply would not arise to begin with.

>>>what are your thoughts on enlightenment?

Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water (plus carrying all that other nonsense in your mind) After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water (minus all of that nonsense).

• lyndalllyndall Explorer
    G

>>>Do you think its something where one is in complete BLISS every single minute of every single day??

More like "equanimity", IMO.

>>>Do you believe like ZEN it can be achieved in any moment?

Yes.

>>>And if someone is enlightened does that mean he never argues with anyone.

Depends on what you mean by "argue".

>>>or stands up for what he believes in?

They would stand up for what they believed in if it was appropriate to do so.

>>>what if a person murderd his wife or friend...would he not get angry???

No they wouldn't.

>>>of course i think they still would. my view of enlightenment is just understanding life. understanding things the way they are. But this doesnt mean we wouldnt still feel emotions. We would just know why we feel the way we do.

Emotions that arise from grasping and aversion simply would not arise to begin with.

>>>what are your thoughts on enlightenment?

Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water (plus carrying all that other nonsense in your mind) After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water (minus all of that nonsense).

I agree with you seeker242,good post!

</blockquote Seeker242,i agree.
  • AmeliaAmelia Veteran
    That sounds more like it.
    Yes
    And if someone is enlightened does that mean he never argues with anyone.
    Krishnamurti felt that one could live completely without conflict. But he worded things very trickily. Krishnamurti was not Buddhist, either.
    This is one of my favorites.
    "complete BLISS" has the connotation of sensory ecstasy to me, that's all.
    Me too
    What taiyaki means is the traits which you see in another person are really traits you see within yourself.
    This is one of those phrases that I thought was ridiculous when I first heard it. Kind of like when my mom told me that some of the other girls at school were only mean to me "because they were jealous." Now I realize they are both right. Whenever I am complaining about someone, I realize in retrospect that I am hating the part of them that I also hate about myself... or secretly wish I had.
    i love it.
    why do you love it? is it because you imagine the things you love doing now you will continue to do after you are enlightened?
    I personally like it because it brings me out of my lofty ideas and back down to why I am practicing-- to enjoy daily life, even the chore parts. If I become enlightened, and suddenly my basic needs no longer need to be met, I'll let everyone know how it feels. :nyah:
  • either way... IMO, nirvana is the first huge step.
  • Do you think its something where one is in complete BLISS every single minute of every single day??

of course i think they still would. my view of enlightenment is just understanding life. understanding things the way they are. But this doesnt mean we wouldnt still feel emotions. We would just know why we feel the way we do.

i love it.

regards to all.
    So chopping wood, hate wood, chopping wood anger wood, would you do that and unlikely as well.
    How you pamper yourself even alone, you pamper others unconditionally, a peaceful in emptinessly calm, as the everything and every emergence is non other than from your mind of tranquility. :thumbsup:
  • I reckon it aint as special as the Buddhist Hegemony tells us it is, but it is still the highest, hardest and rarest state of experience.

I doubt I will get there, but I am sure I wont stop trying.

Oh Calamity!

• jlljll Veteran
    'I reckon it aint as special '
    I reckon it is.
  • edited July 2011
    Do you think its something where one is in complete BLISS every single minute of every single day??

It can be achieved in any moment. Also, “awakening”, such as from a dream, has always sounded more apt. “Enlightenment” reminds me of the “Age of Reason” in 18th century Europe.

In order to “wake up”, we have to stay mindful. It is with this mindfulness that we keep the mind grounded in the present moment for the purpose of awakening. The desire for awakening is not such a bad thing, because it is a desire which brings about the cessation of dukkha (stress, suffering, etc). Awakening is the destination, the “other shore”, and mindfulness keeps our focused attention on the path towards awakening - rather than being distracted from it.

The development of mindfulness is fourfold as it involves contemplation of the body, contemplation of feelings, contemplation of the mind, and contemplation of mental qualities/mind phenomena. This leads to investigation and eventually a sharp analytical knowledge of the Dhamma, which will bring about the mental qualities or properties of energy or persevering effort and happiness/joy/rapture. Of course, this leads to the calm and tranquility of the body and mind. With this, one develops a concentrated mind which sees things as they really are, resulting in equanimity. This equanimity is neutrality, or a mental equilibrium rather than indifference.

Being awakened means discerning from what is skillful and unskillful. Is arguing skillful? Is it a debate, or is it really a verbal attack?

Anger usually does more harm than good, usually to the point of being "blinded by rage". Would a clear, concentrated mind know what would be in one's best interest rather that one being overwhelmed with anger, frustration, or fear? You can not win with anger. If you killed the person who killed your best friend - would you still go to prison for it if you were caught? Reproach will not solve anything - it will not bring back friends and loved ones. It can only do more harm than good. It is only by enduring it with a sense of good will for all, including the offender, that one will ever see the benefits of a truly positive response.

i love it.
    regards to all.
    Yes, it is understanding. However, its not just the "why", its also the "how". If you know why and understand how you are having these conditioned emotional responses, then perhaps you could have more control over them - even to the point of their complete cessation.
  • Enlightenment is the realisation of no self, impermanence, emptiness and non duality. Basically ceasation of illusiory thoughts.
    In regards to seeing yourself in others etc that's not correct as there is no self nor other. In reality, while experiencing them, they are all there is of you. Literally. This needs to be realised non conceptually though.
    There is also no possibility of somebody killing your wife as there is no you, no wife, and nobody to kill anybody nor anybody to die.
  • I reckon it aint as special as the Buddhist Hegemony tells us it is, but it is still the highest, hardest and rarest state of experience.
    ...that we are aware of.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    The monkey is reaching
    For the moon in the water.
    Until death overtakes him
    He'll never give up.
    If he'd let go the branch and
    Disappear in the deep pool,
    The whole world would shine
    With dazzling pureness.
    Hakuin
  • Enlightenment? What do you think it actually is?

don't know - you know?
  • santhisouksanthisouk Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Wild guess: Not attached to self? Not having greed, hatred, or delusions?
    ...that we are aware of.

just as an FYI, my beliefs leading to the above statement:

I believe that when the Buddha said that he doesn't have anything secret, up his sleeve, all the cards are on the table, he meant it.

I believe that when he said that interdependence was the hardest deepest part to understand, he meant that too:)

I believe it seems reasonable to expect the buddhist orthodoxy would not want a doctrine that had a mundane and obtainable goal.

I believe that a buddhist orthodoxy would not want a central tennet the principle of the questioning of orthodoxies, lineages, teachers, authorities, doctrines......

• auraaura Veteran

I believe that when the Buddha said that he doesn't have anything secret, up his sleeve, all the cards are on the table, he meant it.

I believe that when he said that interdependence was the hardest deepest part to understand, he meant that too

I believe it seems reasonable to expect the buddhist orthodoxy would not want a doctrine that had a mundane and obtainable goal.

I believe that a buddhist orthodoxy would not want a central tennet the principle of the questioning of orthodoxies, lineages, teachers, authorities, doctrines......
    I believe that too. Yes.
    Enlightenment is not at all mundane, and it is an extremely literal term. It is to merge with the Light surrounding and beyond all, and those manifesting enlightenment both manifest that Light and are themselves a manifestation and extension of that Light, in addition to being engulfed by it.
    It is a state very much beyond what we are now, and very much beyond the dead, but visible at the point of death... where the astounding awesome interdependence of all also begins to become visible. At least that was what I observed the last time I died, and also with a near death experience in this life.
  • Freedom from extremes, and knowing directly without conceptual bondage, what is appropriate to be like in each moment referencing non-conceptual infinitude, on an intuitive level on so many levels people have written endless books about it.

Always compassionate though... ALWAYS! Man, I've got a lot of work to do. :D LOL!
  • Enlightenment is the living death. One can not reach it with all of the emotions, beliefs, or worldy involvement you mentioned still intact. All attachments must be severed completely and permanently as if one were to burn a hole through where one's self used to be. It is a permanent state of voided self that can be covered over (shielded) by new worldly involvement but never undone. When worldly involvement continues, (after enlightenment), the bliss becomes more and more diluted until eventually it can only be accessed via meditation or other concentrated action. This is because the world is the number one adversary to the bliss of inner peace (think Mara the demon Lord)and as long it exists, Nirvana must suffer its interruption. (But this is also why Buddhism exists in the first place)
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    I think it's bull.

Just a good selling point for spiritual teachers (keeps people donating to monasteries, sells books, etc..)
  • Buddhas don't achieve buddhahood by wanting to get enlightened. They achieve the impossible by cultivating their compassion to the level where they only care about saving everybody else before their own liberation.

• Buddha didnt serve anyone...He actually left his family friends and then left his four meditating friends...He then sat ALONE *WANTING* to get enlightened..he said: ''im going to sit under this tree until i find truth and become enlightened'

So it is not true that buddhas only become enlightened serving others..Buddha only served others AFTER his enlightenment..
  • jlljll Veteran
    Wanting is tricky.
    A sportsman who wants to win really badly will choke.
    But you have to be motivated to train hard & play hard.
    One of the obstacles to jhana is 'wanting' it.
    Buddha didnt serve anyone...He actually left his family friends and then left his four meditating friends...He then sat ALONE *WANTING* to get enlightened..he said: ''im going to sit under this tree until i find truth and become enlightened'

So it is not true that buddhas only become enlightened serving others..Buddha only served others AFTER his enlightenment..

• I think it's a lot about the view..... right view applied on daily lives... impermenance and emptiness, karmic connection, etc. and from this wisdom the mind is liberated from attachment due to false view.... a liberation from ignorance where the positive attachment (greed) and negative attachment (hatred) is no longer relevant... but the mind have to be so focus that we are in such wisdom throughout the day. and the feeling is full bliss where the mind is totally liberated.

that's my opinion.
    maybe there's more
  • GuiGui Veteran

My personal opinion on this is that the point is not enlightenment or not enlightenment but chopping wood and carrying water. And that is enlightenment. It's like this for me; when I meditate, I am not meditating...when I am just sitting, I am meditating. I don't think that being anything is really possible.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Meta, that is thirst for anhilation.
  • @aura

enlightenment is a western term.