Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Take notes!

conradcookconradcook Veteran
edited July 2011 in Meditation
Do you guys take notes on your meditation?

I encourage you to. I find it's useful, first, to look back later and figure out where you are. And, second, they may be very useful when aggregated with other people's notes, to find out what forms of practice are useful, to interpret events and experiences as benchmarks, for troubleshoothing purposes, and so forth.

Buddha bless,

Conrad.

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited July 2011
    At first, I used to want to take notes when there was a talk given in the zendo, or meditation hall. That wasn't possible, so I wrote down everything I could remember, both of the meditation periods and the talks after the fact. It filled a lot of paper. The exercise may have intensified my focus on practice, may have given me a sense of being part of something, may have pointed out errors to correct ... but in the end, it was worth bupkus. This meditation period is this meditation period. Period.

I'm not against taking notes, just sketching my experience.

• RodrigoRodrigo São Paulo, Brazil Veteran
    I like to take notes about many things that happen in my life, but I don't keep notes about meditation. I think it's because I consider mindfulness to be something beyond words. But, of course, each one of us can find the best personal way to practice.
  • Several years ago I was introduced to the concept of mind-mapping. It is an alternative to the linear note taking we are all familiar with. There is a book and cd's and training available - pioneered by the author Tony Buzan. It is a remarkable technique and a very creative approach to mind, memory, and the thought process. In the end - just another tool - but a cool one.....

• Do you guys take notes on your meditation?

I encourage you to. I find it's useful, first, to look back later and figure out where you are. And, second, they may be very useful when aggregated with other people's notes, to find out what forms of practice are useful, to interpret events and experiences as benchmarks, for troubleshoothing purposes, and so forth.

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
    Hi Conrad,

No, I don't.

I find its best just to relax and let go of concepts altogether...

kind regards,

D

• edited July 2011
    Several years ago I was introduced to the concept of mind-mapping. It is an alternative to the linear note taking we are all familiar with. There is a book and cd's and training available - pioneered by the author Tony Buzan. It is a remarkable technique and a very creative approach to mind, memory, and the thought process. In the end - just another tool - but a cool one.....

Mind mapping is also sometimes used as a revision technique in secondary schools.

• jlljll Veteran
    IMO, its definitely helpful. The act of writing in itself requires patience, discipline and concentration. Nobody can write as fast as they think. Also, if you write down all your thoughts, you will have an idea how 'crazy' your thoughts are. I was told that more than 90% of
    our thoughts are repetitive and useless.
  • I cannot where I heard this being said or who by, but I think to dwell on meditation after it has taken place is a form of attachment even if it is a slight form. What happens in meditation happens there. But there are no rules, taking notes has helped me in a variety of aspects in life and it is your life to do what you wish. Personally I don't like to put so much emphasis on what happened during my meditation, just be and let what happens happen and then after let it go
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I cannot where I heard this being said or who by, but I think to dwell on meditation after it has taken place is a form of attachment even if it is a slight form. What happens in meditation happens there. But there are no rules, taking notes has helped me in a variety of aspects in life and it is your life to do what you wish. Personally I don't like to put so much emphasis on what happened during my meditation, just be and let what happens happen and then after let it go
    i agree with this. most of what i find amazing during meditation are not the type of things one could appropriately describe with pen and paper. even if i was to write something like, "amazing sense of peace... calm... everyone is connected..." if i were to flip back to that page on another day, reading those words would not invoke the same feeling. at that point, they are just words describing something, but not the something itself. the moment has already passed.
  • Well, it can be argued that any customary behavior is a form of attachment. Going to a pagoda can be a form of attachment, IF you're attached to it.

I mean, that's true of any dimension of your practice.

But what I'm saying is different from this. There is a relationship between meditation, and what you do in meditation, and where you end up. For example, when you become more able to let go of your attachments, that's not random. It's a consequence of something you've been doing.

Reading your journal isn't meant to recapture prior states of mind. Rather, it allows you to survey them quickly.

This is useful, in my experience, because when I review my notes I'm able to see, "Ah, this state of mind that I'm working with lately is similar to this other one I was working with a few months ago."

Then I look for similarities and differences in my practice and circumstances. And, more often than not, find them.

It's just a way of showing up your patterns of thinking. If nothing else, it may help make clear where your attachments lay.

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
  • On the other hand, you should also know:

If you do take notes, it's always possible that someone could photocopy it and try to use its contents against you. I mean, a petty roommate or someone with a grudge, or someone who wants to lead you to a bad space for any reason.

--Which is funny, to me. I guess when people are heavily deluded they imagine it's easy to delude others.

Buddha Bless,

Conrad.

ps - Anyone want a copy of my journal?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    @conradcook
    Allan Ginsberg once attended a meditation retreat, and had next to him, his notebook and pen. Throughout the Meditation retreat, he would interrupt his sitting, and write a little something in the notebook beside him.

One evening, when all students and the Guru Master were relaxing around an open air fire, just quietly discussing matters in general, the Guru Master, sitting next to Allan Ginsberg, asked him what he had been writing.
    "Oh, just little thought bubbles that have come to me in the sessions...." he replied.
    The Master asked if he might be allowed to look. Allan Ginsberg handed him the book.
    The Guru Master promptly threw it into the flames of the fire.

"Bubbles burst!" he declared. "Bubbles appear on the stream, and then disappear. What use are bubbles? No substance, no form...just contained air and then nothing!"

Just an anecdote I thought might be useful.
  • Yes we throw away the raft - yet we never throw away the raft.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    @federica loved that story. thanks for sharing :)
  • IMO, it is better if they are mental notes, and only if something really interesting happens... I wouldn't want to add a notebook and pen to the requisites for practicing meditation :)
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    @conradcook
    Allan Ginsberg once attended a meditation retreat, and had next to him, his notebook and pen. Throughout the Meditation retreat, he would interrupt his sitting, and write a little something in the notebook beside him.

One evening, when all students and the Guru Master were relaxing around an open air fire, just quietly discussing matters in general, the Guru Master, sitting next to Allan Ginsberg, asked him what he had been writing.
    "Oh, just little thought bubbles that have come to me in the sessions...." he replied.
    The Master asked if he might be allowed to look. Allan Ginsberg handed him the book.
    The Guru Master promptly threw it into the flames of the fire.

"Bubbles burst!" he declared. "Bubbles appear on the stream, and then disappear. What use are bubbles? No substance, no form...just contained air and then nothing!"

Just an anecdote I thought might be useful.

Sounds like a good teacher. :)
  • What sort of fool interrupts just sitting to write something down?

Oh, you said it was Ginsburg.

Never got much out of him, myself. I know he was big.

In any case, I have said what I have said, and I have not said what I have not said.

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    The who and the when is irrelevant.
    The what, how and why, are what counts.
  • So don't date the entries or sign your name.
  • I don't take notes while I am meditating. But I am using new app on my Ipad for gongs, and it lets you add a journal entry when you are done. That is pretty cool....I can write something if I want or not. And I read it over from time to time. I asked a few teachers about taking notes "while" and noone recommended it. Just to mentally note "thought" just like everything else that arises, and go back to breath or sound or whatever. Ellen from Jerusalem
  • I keep an online Video Blog. (youtube)
    I speak on it once week. talk about how my weeks is going and my practice.
    (now and again i might upload if something specific happens. X
  • Eh.. I do not believe I ever said one should take notes while meditating.

Although I suppose one could meditate while taking notes.

Conrad.
  • I've found taking notes useful for shamanic practice esp dream walking... it is also useful for divination where the symbols are cryptic and require interpretation.

Meditation has no purpose or aim - to exist in the moment, in my mind, goes against the principle of note taking and analysis for sake of posterity - if you have purpose then perhaps taking notes will assist you in achieving that - there comes a point however where notes and analysis serve no purpose.
  • No, that's not it.

If your goal is to "exist in the moment," that's fine. Implicit in that is that you sometimes exist in the moment more than at other times -- perhaps when you're distracted by other stuff.

Then, during a week when you are more in the moment than normal for you, the question is what has caused that? If you are experimenting with different forms of meditation, and if you are taking notes, you can look back to see what you've been doing differently for that week or two leading up to this.

Not being emotionally attached to what you're doing does not mean you should not be paying attention to it. Taking notes allows to to pay attention to cause and effect in a practical way.
  • I agree with you...

In my mind still, all of that has limits - existing in the moment is not quantifiable so I dont see there being more or less of it - I dont see that there is deviation from it either - it sounds like a sound practical method you've described but at some point you'll have to come to terms with letting it go! As long as it works for you then keep it but one day, notes and analysis cease to have meaning - the joyful participation in the moment is in itself a form of note taking... your aim will then be to cease taking notes there also...
  • Ok, fine. That's not relevant, in the way that telling a medical student that when he does surgery he won't be reading a book or taking a test!

In terms of learning, have good study habits. In terms of meditation, take notes. They will help you, and perhaps help others too.
  • By dismissing it as irrelevant, you may point to your own attachment to analysis for sake of posterity.

The analogy you use infers a predilection to a linear path - i.e. that you learn, study, take the test and then its the main event where you put into practice - rinse and repeat until the main event goes more the way you studied for.

That analogy only goes so far.

A better analogy in my mind is a painting - you can study and work and practice but the painting is the painting - you can make notes on various of your actions both before and after and they may assist in your capturing the moment in a different way in your mind but the moment and the painting are unchanged by that - you may learn to express yourself in a way that makes sense to yourself more but again the paintnig no matter how unskillful is still the painting.

In my mind, the notes only take you so far - eventually, you will resolve doubt and live it more without the need for analysis - some may say that the Buddhist teachings themselves become irrelevant as they only deal with a finite degree of the awakening...
  • The notes don't take you anywhere. They're just there so you can notice cause and effect.
  • Do you guys take notes on your meditation?

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
    I wouldn’t encourage making notes for exactly those reasons: they make us look back, judge and compare; all of them futile.

I’d encourage anyone to just do the meditation and to trust their practice.
    Or in other words: practice for the sake of practice. When the period of meditation is over, you’re finished with it.
  • When a person is ready to stop comparing, they stop comparing. They "put away thought conception."

It's no good forcing it.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited February 2012
    It's no good encouraging it (the comparing) either.
  • have pondered some more and I guess that sometimes after meditation (as with life), I feel a sudden urge to write poetry - its not linked to anything that happened during meditation and I dont use it to compare but sometimes I have this desire to write something down - its generally pithy and means something to me... I categorise it as poetry and leave it at that - I guess this could be compared to notes... :)
  • Perhaps it can, Zero, if you look at note-taking as a taboo thing. If you look at it as a record of what meditation form you are practicing and what your state of mind is, I don't see a similarity.

Although, poetry is cool.
  • Op...I have always kept a journal since I was a child. When I started meditation to deal with ocd, anxiety, and normal depression, the journal became a new ground for reflection and positive thoughts....but I find that after a month, I go back and read and I a not the saw person anymore.

Now I get into habbit of writting a full notebook, reading it and burning it.

It's very cathartic
  • Typo...not the same person
  • weightedweighted Veteran
    edited February 2012
    I keep a daily journal that is apart from my practice, and I've done so for as long as I could write, really.

I view my meditation practice right now as a way to improve my every day experiences. Any insights I encounter in meditation I apply to daily life, and then these might work their way into what I journal for the day, for my own private eyes.

But I'm not sure that I think recording in words is necessary. So much of the changes and the progress can't be rendered in words.

Like someone else who said this above, I do appreciate that the timer I use gives me a journaling option if I should chose this in the future. For now, though, my writing and journaling is a part of my every day life. Meditation enhances this, and affects it of course, but I do not see the need to journal each meditation practice personally.

I would never discredit anyone who felt the need to do so, though!