Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Should I think about my death everyday?

jlljll Veteran
edited July 2011 in Meditation
I understand that monks are encouraged to think about their own death
at least once a day. What about laypeople?

Comments

• I thought the emo trend is already over! lol
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    you can think about it all you want, but it's not going to be in your subjective experience until it happens.
  • you can think about it all you want, but it's not going to be in your subjective experience until it happens.
    Agree!!

Although you can think of whatever you want, Not all Buddhist Monks think about Death. Death isnt here yet. And we should only concentrate on the present moment. Why would you think about something that hasnt happend yet. Of course we should all *know* that we are going to die, and accept this, But that doesnt mean we have to think about death EVERYDAY. Just Be.....
  • I understand that monks are encouraged to think about their own death
    Think about your life instead. Living right takes effort. Death happens no matter what.
  • For me, it's not o n l y thinking about death, but about i m p e r m a n e n c e in general. In that case, it maybe good to think about it every day. About how life is fragile, that we'll have to part from everything we have and love including our dearest one, and so on.
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    Ever read the Tibetan Book of Living and Dying? It's a good read, and I'd recommend it if you are looking into death related things. We need to come to terms with our death. Good living makes good death.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I imagine, if true, that monks' being encouraged to consider their own death just means that it is time to investigate an overactive imagination.

The Brit Christmas Humphreys once observed more or less, "The opposite of life is not death. The opposite of life is form." Every moment -- e-v-e-r-y moment -- there is birth and there is death. The two are so tightly wound as to be indistinguishable. This is not just fairy-dust talk. It becomes apparent in a patient practice and offers a different perspective on what is called "death."
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited July 2011
    I have never heard that monks should think of their own death once a day, correct me if I am wrong.. Your death is inevitable, yet undecided and impossible to see right now. One of the most basic and important aspects of buddhism, do not place too much emotion and hopes into the past or future, why would you consider your death if you have no control or idea of it?

When I had hypochondria I use to think about death all of the time, it only caused me to suffer a great deal and become one anxious young chap.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    Unless a layperson has cultivated some detachment from their emotions, I wouldn't recomend death contemplation. It could generate fear or apathy.

If we can let go of our emotion, contemplating how the organs die, the blood spills, the mind decays... can help to keep molehills just molehills, thoughts just thoughts, etc etc.
  • Very good question, I think it depends on how you think of it. Carl Jung said death is as important as life, he says some interesting things about it on youtube.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    I understand that monks are encouraged to think about their own death
    Mindfulness of death (maranassati) can be beneficial for anyone when used appropriately.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2011
    I have never heard that monks should think of their own death once a day, correct me if I am wrong..
    Mindfulness of death is one of the many topics of discernment the Buddha advised his followers to use, and not just once a day either. In AN 6.19 and AN 6.20, for example, the Buddha suggests using mindfulness of death continuously throughout the day as a type of motivational practice, i.e., to constantly reflect on one's mortality and whether there's still work to be done.
  • I stand corrected. Now thinking about it, I remembering seeing some buddhist art where it shows a time lapse of a baby going through life and in the end being bones, only to be decayed and dead. I guess it boils down to what exactly you think of death and how
  • It depends how you are thinking about death. Wishing that death were here and that you were dead is not healthy. but you also shouldn't think about it in fear. treasure the life you have. but itis ok to think about death. do not be ignorant of it, be aware of it. but try to be nuetral about it.
  • Well said, cherish life for what it is when it is, but do not think or hold delusions that death will not come or be too down when it does, it is a part of life
  • auraaura Veteran

...the Buddha suggests using mindfulness of death continuously throughout the day as a type of motivational practice, i.e., to constantly reflect on one's mortality and whether there's still work to be done.
    Yes! Mindfulness of the impermanence of life helps one to appreciate life and the necessity of mindfully and diligently keeping up with one's practice!

If one pauses momentarily to think of death....
    and realize that one's words (actions, thoughts, etc) could well be one's last and final words (actions, thoughts, etc) in life, one's epitaph...
    and that one's words (actions, thoughts, etc.) could well be the very last ever said to (done to) and affecting others in life, possibly adversely for the rest of their lives....
    The necessity of right speech (action, thought, etc.) becomes very clear indeed!
  • auraaura Veteran
    Wishing that death were here and that you were dead is not healthy.
    It is only a symptom of a being in tremendous pain from hanging onto something that needs to gently be let go of in life.
  • There is no death, there is no life.
  • Meditating on death helps you clarify your priorities in life, and lead a more purposeful life. But it's not necessary to do every day.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Not morbidly. My lama says it is a powerful practice. It is not oh well its meaningless I might as well die. It is "Everything that I believe is wrong and binding is an illusion. All my faults don't matter and I am free."
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited July 2011
    you appreciate the flower because it is alive and beautiful.

can you tell the difference between a plastic flower and a real one?
    the real one changes from birth to death.

if we must see death then it is important to see death as it is.
    and from there we can choose to accept it and move on. or reject and suffer.

but ultimately death is just an experience, there is no finality to it for there is nothing here that is permanent. just energy coming together to appear to be solid and fixed. this body is being rented out and will be given back to mother earth. and the grass grows all by itself.
  • edited July 2011
    idk about other traditions, but in Tibetan Buddhism the purpose of meditating on death is to help you lead a better life, and in so doing, eliminate the fear of death. Many people fear death, and get upset as that time nears because they feel they haven't lived life fully, or haven't made enough of a contribution to the world. "Wait! I still have unfinished work to do here!", the dying sometimes cry. But if you know you've done all you can with your life, you can face death with satisfaction of a life well-lived. You have equanimity. Besides, it's only death, a temporary state in a belief system like TB, where the consciousness returns for the next episode in tragi-comic series.
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited July 2011
    The way of the samurai is full acceptance of death. Every new day is a gift, as the only guarantee in life is death. That is basically how the samurai think, and it has been passed down to zen as well.

I don't meditate on my death, but I think about this philosophy just about everyday.
    When I buy clothes they're "bangin". When I dress up I look damn good. I weight lift religiously, run my ass off, and try to eat well, so I can continue to look good as long as I can. Because this is all I get. When I talk to people they get me, the real me, without hardly anything held back. Because I've been dead before, but now I am alive and it is a gift.

So there is not enough time in this life for cowards and liars. I will make the effort to not leave people guessing, to live with honor. I will not fear anything or anyone and I will be real. People can know that is who I am and remember me that way. So I do everything big. If I die tomorrow I will know I did my best and lived my life without any fear holding me back from what I wanted to do. Because death is guaranteed I will chase what I want till I get it, or till I die.

So this philosophy of accepting death has definitely helped me tremendously. It is who I am and it is where a lot of my strength comes from in order to try and build a better future.
  • edited July 2011
    i bring the fact of death to mind frequently - it _is_ a recommended practice according to the pali canon as mentioned above; i encourage you to look into the references. it is also one of the central preparatory practices of lojong (tibetan mind training). acceptance of the inevitability and the fact that _one_ _knows_ not _when_, it could be at any time and will likely be unexpected. at that time, all ones projects, quarrels, dreams, goals, desires, angers, aversions - indeed the senses, body, mind, personality .. dust in the wind.
    although frequently interpreted as motivation to enjoy life now while you have it - i believe this is an error; it is more of a motivating factor to get down to the tough task of _renouncing_ the enjoyment of life, seeing that it is impermanent and therefor leads to suffering when relied upon/clung to. also it lends a bit of urgency that one might stop procrastinating and make use of the immediate opportunity - _not_ to enjoy oneself but to practice the dhamma while there is a chance, understanding (or at least accepting as a working hypothesis) that enjoying the pleasures of life is transient (conventional happiness) while the pleasures of Release are reliable.
    for me it also, in an almost paradoxical fashion, also takes the pressure off - but with regard to the importance we tend to give to the mundane concerns of life. a wonderful sense of relief arises when truly accepting that, in fact, i really ain't so special and/or important - in 100 years i doubt that anyone will even know i ever existed. this puts everything into a clear, realistic perspective and the major concern becomes roughly "i will attempt to live such that in the moment before my death i have as little regret about this life as possible".
    i am convinced that, far from being morbid this is a very healthy practice that contributes particularly to dispelling delusion.

cheer - i wish you well.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Buddha said we should think about death always.

• dutangha?
  • This is good, MG. But it's not possible to literally think of death with every breath, when you're supposed to meditate on compassion or other topics, and perform other spiritual exercises. Nice film.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    I think the point is to be mindful in general, knowing that everything changes.
  • And bearing in mind that we could be gone tomorrow, so make the most of today. Stay focussed on the important things in life.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Stay focussed on the important things in life.
    for example??? :confused:

not only should we think about death but also about what exactly are we going to miss when we die

is it really worth 'missing'? :confused: what exactly are we 'losing' or 'leaving'? :confused:
  • I use to have the attitude that I am going to die, can't do anything about it, so why worry or give it any thought.
    A not so suddle form of aversion. Denial and avoidance are near enemies of acceptance and letting go.

Then I learned a death meditation technique.

When in a calm meditative state bring up the following 3 ideas -
    1. I am going to die
    2. I dont' know when I am going to die
    3. When I die everything that I have in this life will be gone

Treat this as an insight meditation. Do not try to figure anything out. Just observe the feelings and thoughts that arise and allow them to be and return to breathing. You may find this challenging at first as fear in some manifestation will likely arise. Simply return your attention to the breath till the next meditation session.

I sit daily and incorporated this into my daily practice for quite a while. Now not every time, but I will still do it. I would highly recommend everyone try this and see if you don't make some real progress.

Besides the obvious results of relieving irrational fear ( I use to suffer from anxiety.) there are other benefits.
    When you look at impermanence up close and personal, it allows you to see Anetta.

Best Wishes
  • Stay focussed on the important things in life.
    for example??? :confused:

not only should we think about death but also about what exactly are we going to miss when we die

is it really worth 'missing'? :confused: what exactly are we 'losing' or 'leaving'? :confused:
    Love.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    naw love is everything. when we die there is still love.
  • Love as an emotion or love as a compassionate state of mind?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    what do you mean by emotion, state, and mind?
  • What is meant by "Love"? Asking Karma and taiyaki.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I think they mean bodhicitta
  • jlljll Veteran
    To help you think about your own death everyday,
    here are some facts.
    About 2 persons die every single second.
    According to the CIA World Factbook, as of July, 2005, there were approximately 6,446,131,400 people on the planet, and the death rate was approximately 8.78 deaths per 1,000 people a year. According to our nifty desktop calculator, that works out to roughly 56,597,034 people leaving us every year. That's about a 155,000 a day.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    Life And Death

Life,death,-death,life; the words have led for ages
    Our thought and consciousness and firmly seemed
    Two opposites; but now long-hidden pages
    Are opened,liberating truths undreamed.
    Life only is; or death is life disguised,-
    Life a short death until by Life we are surprised.
    -Sri Aurobindo
  • That kind of death monks think is different from layperson as there is an underlying bodhi emerging along their "deathness". Death is normal for all beings as everything on earth has a lifespan. Think for Amitabha :p
  • isn't it better to think of the deathless?
  • That kind of death monks think is different from layperson as there is an underlying bodhi emerging along their "deathness". Death is normal for all beings as everything on earth has a lifespan. Think for Amitabha :p
    Amitabha Buddha!!!! :)
  • In Buddhism death / birth / survival never existed . We have life and will continue to have process of birth / survive / death simply because we still have awareness of emotions / love / compassion / ego etc as long as we still not free from these pollutants we will continue the life/death circle .
    All living and non-living evolved / change in their own speed / their own method according to their own awareness undergoing own purification process of knowning / elimating own awareness , to be pure , to be free of any pollutant , to be empty and to be Buddha - The Final destination for all.
    Be awake in whatever we do , accepting that bad is on lower awareness - more polluted , good is on higher awareness closer to Buddha but when we totally free of all desire / emotion of good or bad......we are in purity - The Buddha .
    Death / survival / birth is part of purification process .
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2011
    so we are purifying? cool.
  • All living and non-living in this world and beyond is actually helping each other
    to live and to death undergo own purification process of learning from each other , to understand own nature / awareness to be free of it , to be pure , to be empty , to be Buddha-The Final destination of all .
    for example , I have cancer cell in my brain and die , I die not because of cancer virus but simply because death is part of my own purification process and i die just to help cancer cell to survive .The cancer virus is not the cause of my death but only a factor of my death .
    but if I use medicion to kill the cancer virus and cancer virus die and i survive . Cancer virus dead not because of the medicion but death too is part of their purification process , they die to help us to survive . medicion is not the cause of virus death but only serve as a factor .
  • If human continue to learn good values from all living and non-living , accepting all even a pen could teach us buddhism......we will understand our awareness / our desire / compassion and perhaps the more we understand it the more we are free of it .
    This process of understanding own awareness is actual our "age" in Buddhism . The less we have all these 'attachment" the closer we are to purity and perhaps after undergoing a millions birth/death circle we will be free of all pollutant.....the Buddha,
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    "The cancer virus is not the cause of my death but only a factor of my death" what are you arguing? If someone falls off a cliff 1000 feet would you say colliding with the earth was only a factor. As in say they wanted to mountain climb to have excitement? Another factor and add more connections to infinity?
  • In my awareness of Buddhism , if I fall from a cliff and die , my action of climbing the mountain or even my fall is not the cause of my death is only a factor . I must die as I must re-born as I must survive to continue my own purification process . Death from fall or even from any mean in Buddhism is not connected . Whatever happens in our live / our death / our birth is only part of our journey in our own purification process . Nothing can or could be connected to Buddha .
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    have you ever read the heart sutra?