Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why do we focus on the Breath?

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited July 2011 in Meditation
There's something I've been trying to understand for a while.
I practice my own style of meditation that resembles shikantaza. I come to a point where I don't try to meditate or accomplish anything specifically, at which point I find I'm just sitting there, doing nothing. No goal. It's very filling. I'm trying to understand why we focus on the breath. I notice that my practice lacks structure. Philosophically, what is the purpose of focusing on your breath? How does that get you any closer to peace?
Bonus question: Is there anything after shikantaza or just sitting? What do you think?

Comments

• edited July 2011
    We focus on the breath because it helps us focus. Really. It helps us develop "one-pointedness of mind". And the breath slows down our nervous system to facilitate the focussing. But once you get good enough at focussing, you can switch to other images: the Buddha, HHDL, healing Light, metta, the possibilities are endless. Focussing on the breath is a beginner technique.
  • shikantaza is my second favorite after anapanasati... at third there's kundalini, but I don't practice it anymore.

philosophically, the breath has many meanings in indian culture. it is almost as a soul, one that goes in and out... towards all life. Prana, the sanskrit term for pana in anapanasati, means what in the west is known as qi or vital energy... but it means basically breath.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    sitting is the goal and means. you'll figure it out after a while.

we focus on the breathe because it is a neutral object. also we can learn a lot about emotions when we study the breath.
    it is a great anchor because we always breathe.

it's important to watch the breathe very carefully. there are two pauses. you breathe in and your stomach arises and then as the stomaches it hits the hara and then pause. then the breathe grows outwards and there is another pause.

when we breathe in we are breathing in the energy of inclusion or love/acceptance. when we breathe out we letting go.
    when we focus on the breath we realize
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Thanks everyone! So, we sit to focus and we sit to relax.
    But does it really help us reach inner understanding and inner peace? As well as inner understanding of reality around us? and in us? What did Budda practice?
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    It shows that everything changes, the fluidity of the universe - as well as other things.
    It shows that everything changes, the fluidity of the universe - as well as other things.
    Breathing and Air is energy/electricity and the like?
    That everything is an Illusion?
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Hmmm...? Leon, was that a question or a statement? They were phrased like statements, yet had question marks.
    Hmmm...? Leon, was that a question or a statement? They were phrased like statements, yet had question marks.
    Both...LOl.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Compassionate Warrior,
    Focussing on the breath is a beginner technique.
    Breath meditation is for anyone, not just beginners. Wasn't it the method used by the Buddha on the night of his Enlightenment?

Metta,

Guy
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Thanks everyone! So, we sit to focus and we sit to relax.
    But does it really help us reach inner understanding and inner peace? As well as inner understanding of reality around us? and in us? What did Budda practice?
    Yes it does. :)

"In this community of monks there are monks who remain devoted to mindfulness of in-&-out breathing.

"Mindfulness of in-&-out breathing, when developed & pursued, is of great fruit, of great benefit. Mindfulness of in-&-out breathing, when developed & pursued, brings the four frames of reference to their culmination. The four frames of reference, when developed & pursued, bring the seven factors for awakening to their culmination. The seven factors for awakening, when developed & pursued, bring clear knowing & release to their culmination."

MN 118: Anapanasati Sutta — Mindfulness of Breathing {M iii 78} [Thanissaro].
    One of the most important texts for beginning and veteran meditators alike, this sutta is the Buddha's roadmap to the entire course of meditation practice, using the vehicle of breath meditation. The simple practice of mindfulness of breathing leads the practitioner gradually through 16 successive phases of development, culminating in full Awakening.

Anapana Sati
    Meditation on Breathing
    by
    Ven. Mahathera Nauyane Ariyadhamma

"The Buddha laid special stress on this meditation, for it is the gateway to enlightenment and Nibbana adopted by all the Buddhas of the past as the very basis for their attainment of Buddhahood. When the Blessed One sat at the foot of the Bodhi Tree and resolved not to rise until he had reached enlightenment, he took up anapana sati as his subject of meditation."

"Let us then offer our veneration to the Blessed One, who became a peerless world-transcending Buddha through this meditation of anapana sati. May we comprehend this subject of meditation fully, with wisdom resplendent like the sun and moon. Through its power may we attain the blissful peace of Nibbana."

:)

• Focussing on the breath is a beginner technique.
    Only in some traditions. ;-)

Spiny
  • My view on breath meditation has been changing all the time. Initially I thought of it as a beginner's practice as a training for "the real thing" such as koans or shikantaza in Zen. Now I see that the breath is one of the simplest things that reminds us of life and the changing nature of everything. Of course it steadies the mind and all of that, but it's also an unending practice of right now. What is going on right now with your mind and your body and the universe around you? What is excluded?
  • This is my opinion for why the breath is such an important and potent focus of meditation.

The breath is constant
    -Although there is impermanence in all things, as long as we are living, we are breathing. The breath is with us at all times whether we are mindful of it or not.

The breath can be controlled
    -Unlike one's heartrate, which is similar to the breath in constancy, or an external source of focus, the breath is easily controllable. We can calm and slow our breath, we can control where we take in our breath (the nostrils or mouth,) and we can control where we place the breath in our body (abdomen or chest.)

The breath is easily noticed
    -There are many areas where the passing in and out of breath is noticable when focusing on its process. It passes our nostrils, through the sinus cavity, our throat, through the chest, and into the abdomen. We can feel our shoulders and back rise with the inbreath and fall with the outbreath. We can feel the oxygen energizing our body and fueling our brain.

The breath is simple
    -Unlike some of the other objects of meditation, such as metta or one of the elements or any other refined mental construct, the breath is simple, noticable, both gross and refined, easily recognizable, directly apprehended by all 6 senses, and familiar. The breath is not a complicated object to imagine or focus upon. It is in and out, in and out, in and out.

The reason that we need an object of focus, is so that we can attain the state of shikantaza/samadhi/jhana/right concentration. It is through this focused state that we may achieve insight and wisdom. The concentrated mind attains equanimity according the 7 factors of awakening. Equanimity is like a light that, when shone upon the multi-faceted phenomena of the world, illuminates the true nature of things to the concentrated mind. It is necessary that we achieve more than just relaxation when we meditate, we must achieve focus.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    @Leon -- Breath is intimate and has no edges. It is a concrete way to suggest to the rambling, gamboling mind that there comes a time when straight-from-the-shoulder intimacy is required if peace is to be assured.

Breath lacks philosophies and religions and angels on the head of imaginative pins. That is why it is called a "beginning practice" by beginners. The rambling mind can really get ticked off that there is nothing more sexy, more profound, more spiritual than the breath. "When do we get to the good stuff ... the bliss, the samadhi, the emptiness, the woo-hoo?!"

Breath works. If you doubt this, just stop breathing for 10 or 15 minutes.
  • we dont have to focus on the breath. Your doing the right thing. *your thing*
    Just sit and be....This is the way.

No goal is the way to achieve the goal. What is the goal? No goal! LOL its amazing. Good for you for practising your own style..Its what its all about. Finding what works for you.

• Thanks everyone! So, we sit to focus and we sit to relax.
    Buddha would have just sat.....Focused on nothing. Then answers came to him.
    Focusing on the breath is just what we begin with, but eventually the idea is just to SIT and do nothing. Think of nothing. (people have told me that thinking of nothing is thinking of something) but its not. Thinking of nothing just is...
    and life is all about just being.
  • @buddhacoe, The Buddha didn't "focus on nothing."

He focused on his breath.
    Mindfulness of in-&-out breathing, when developed & pursued, is of great fruit, of great benefit. Mindfulness of in-&-out breathing, when developed & pursued, brings the four frames of reference to their culmination. The four frames of reference, when developed & pursued, bring the seven factors for awakening to their culmination. The seven factors for awakening, when developed & pursued, bring clear knowing & release to their culmination.

MN 118
    Then the Blessed One entered the first jhana. Emerging from that he entered the second jhana. Emerging from that, he entered the third... the fourth jhana... the dimension of the infinitude of space... the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness... the dimension of nothingness... the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception. Emerging from that, he entered the cessation of perception & feeling.

SN 6.15
    There is the case where a monk, secluded from sensuality, secluded from unskillful qualities, enters & remains in the first jhana: rapture & pleasure born of seclusion, accompanied by directed thought & evaluation.

AN 9.36
  • edited July 2011
    How do you know he focused on the breath???
    I also dont *know* for sure what he did as it was 2500 years ago. But I know that the ultimate way is to just sit and meditate. You will not need to count breaths. You will be able to just BE......And this is what i personally think Buddha did.
  • AmeliaAmelia Veteran
    Breath works. If you doubt this, just stop breathing for 10 or 15 minutes.
    :lol:
  • AmeliaAmelia Veteran
    edited July 2011
    I also dont *know* for sure what he did as it was 2500 years ago. But I know that the ultimate way is to just sit and meditate.
    :screwy:
  • Just BE doesnt mean anything. There's no "just be." The purpose of meditation is to practice focusing the mind on a specific object of focus in order to break through the hindrances obstructing the mind from achieving liberation. Sure, after entering the second Jhana, there is the cessation of directed thought, but attaining the second Jhana is no simple feat, let alone the 3rd or fourth Jhana, or especially the arupa Jhanas. And in no way is meditation described as "just being."
    "There was the case where Sariputta — quite secluded from sensuality, secluded from unskillful qualities — entered & remained in the first jhana: rapture & pleasure born of seclusion, accompanied by directed thought & evaluation. Whatever qualities there are in the first jhana — directed thought, evaluation, rapture, pleasure, singleness of mind, contact, feeling, perception, intention, consciousness,[2] desire, decision, persistence, mindfulness, equanimity, & attention — he ferreted them out one after another. Known to him they arose, known to him they remained, known to him they subsided. He discerned, 'So this is how these qualities, not having been, come into play. Having been, they vanish.' He remained unattracted & unrepelled with regard to those qualities, independent, detached, released, dissociated, with an awareness rid of barriers. He discerned that 'There is a further escape,' and pursuing it there really was for him.

"Furthermore, with the stilling of directed thoughts & evaluations, Sariputta entered & remained in the second jhana: rapture & pleasure born of composure, unification of awareness free from directed thought & evaluation — internal assurance. Whatever qualities there are in the second jhana — internal assurance, rapture, pleasure, singleness of mind, contact, feeling, perception, intention, consciousness, desire, decision, persistence, mindfulness, equanimity, & attention — he ferreted them out one after another.[...]'There is a further escape,' and pursuing it there really was for him.

"Furthermore, with the fading of rapture, Sariputta — remaining in equanimity, mindful & alert, and physically sensitive to pleasure — entered & remained in the third jhana, of which the noble ones declare, 'Equanimous & mindful, he has a pleasant abiding.' Whatever qualities there are in the third jhana — equanimity-pleasure, singleness of mind, contact, feeling, perception, intention, consciousness, desire, decision, persistence, mindfulness, equanimity, & attention — he ferreted them out one after another. [...] 'There is a further escape,' and pursuing it there really was for him.

"Furthermore, with the abandoning of pleasure & stress — as with the earlier disappearance of elation & distress — Sariputta entered & remained in the fourth jhana: purity of equanimity & mindfulness, neither-pleasure-nor-pain. Whatever qualities there are in the fourth jhana — a feeling of equanimity, neither pleasure nor pain; an unconcern due to serenity of awareness;[3] singleness of mind, contact, feeling, perception, intention, consciousness, desire, decision, persistence, mindfulness, equanimity, & attention — he ferreted them out one after another. [...]'There is a further escape,' and pursuing it there really was for him.

"Furthermore, with the complete transcending of perceptions of [physical] form, with the disappearance of perceptions of resistance, and not heeding perceptions of diversity, [perceiving,] 'Infinite space,' Sariputta entered & remained in the dimension of the infinitude of space. Whatever qualities there are in the dimension of the infinitude of space — the perception of the dimension of the infinitude of space, singleness of mind, contact, feeling, perception, intention, consciousness, desire, decision, persistence, mindfulness, equanimity, & attention — he ferreted them out one after another. [...]'There is a further escape,' and pursuing it there really was for him.

"Furthermore, with the complete transcending of the dimension of the infinitude of space, [perceiving,] 'Infinite consciousness,' Sariputta entered & remained in the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness. Whatever qualities there are in the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness — the perception of the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness, singleness of mind, contact, feeling, perception, intention, consciousness, desire, decision, persistence, mindfulness, equanimity, & attention — he ferreted them out one after another. [...]'There is a further escape,' and pursuing it there really was for him.

"Furthermore, with the complete transcending of the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness, [perceiving,] 'There is nothing,' Sariputta entered & remained in the dimension of nothingness. Whatever qualities there are in the dimension of nothingness — the perception of the dimension of nothingness, singleness of mind, contact, feeling, perception, intention, consciousness, desire, decision, persistence, mindfulness, equanimity, & attention — he ferreted them out one after another. ]...]'There is a further escape,' and pursuing it there really was for him.

"Furthermore, with the complete transcending of the dimension of nothingness, Sariputta entered & remained in the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception. He emerged mindfully from that attainment. On emerging mindfully from that attainment, he regarded the past qualities that had ceased & changed: 'So this is how these qualities, not having been, come into play. Having been, they vanish.' He remained unattracted & unrepelled with regard to those qualities, independent, detached, released, dissociated, with an awareness rid of barriers. He discerned that 'There is a further escape,' and pursuing it there really was for him.[4]

"Furthermore, with the complete transcending of the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception, Sariputta entered & remained in the cessation of feeling & perception. Seeing with discernment, his fermentations were totally ended. He emerged mindfully from that attainment. On emerging mindfully from that attainment, he regarded the past qualities that had ceased & changed: 'So this is how these qualities, not having been, come into play. Having been, they vanish.' He remained unattracted & unrepelled with regard to those qualities, independent, detached, released, dissociated, with an awareness rid of barriers. He discerned that 'There is no further escape,' and pursuing it there really wasn't for him.

"If a person, rightly saying it of anyone, were to say, 'He has attained mastery & perfection in noble virtue... noble concentration... noble discernment... noble release,' he would be rightly saying it of Sariputta if he were to say: 'He has attained mastery & perfection in noble virtue... noble concentration... noble discernment... noble release.'

MN 111
  • I also dont *know* for sure what he did as it was 2500 years ago. But I know that the ultimate way is to just sit and meditate.
    Whats the matter my darling? For why do you think im screwy?
    And TALISMAN: There is a such thing as just being..When you realize this, you will awaken. Good luck x
  • I also dont *know* for sure what he did as it was 2500 years ago. But I know that the ultimate way is to just sit and meditate.
    Whats the matter my darling? For why do you think im screwy?
    And TALISMAN: There is a such thing as just being..When you realize this, you will awaken. Good luck x
    What are you saying? That you are a fully enlightened being? That you have fulfilled the path to liberation? That you have laid down the burden, finished the deed, crossed the shore, realized unbinding and awakening?

:bowdown:
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    its just a support to prevent the whole session from being a daydream about what it would be like if obi won kanobi had been in starwars 2.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Talisman the kind of meditatoin without an object is formless meditation. Not all the jhanas are useful for insight and its insight which brings liberation. Formless meditation opens outward into dzogchen. In that school it is believed that buddha practiced this way under the sycamore tree or whatever.
  • What do you mean "formless meditation?" Do you mean the first dimension of the infinitude of space?
    "Furthermore, with the complete transcending of perceptions of [physical] form, with the disappearance of perceptions of resistance, and not heeding perceptions of diversity, [perceiving,] 'Infinite space,' Sariputta entered & remained in the dimension of the infinitude of space. Whatever qualities there are in the dimension of the infinitude of space — the perception of the dimension of the infinitude of space, singleness of mind, contact, feeling, perception, intention, consciousness, desire, decision, persistence, mindfulness, equanimity, & attention — he ferreted them out one after another. [...]'There is a further escape,' and pursuing it there really was for him.
    I don't know much about Tibetan forms of meditation. From everything I have read, the Buddha orignally pursued asceticism in seeking liberation. He realized in the depths of his asceticism that this was not the way to enlightenment, and he remembered a time from his childhood where, concentrated upon his breath, he had achieves the first Jhana and discovered a pleasure not of the flesh leading to liberation and enlightenment. However, such a state of concentration could not be attained in his withered and sickly form brought about through strict asceticism, so he abandoned that path in order to continue his meditative practices (namely, pursuit of the meditative absorptions or Jhanas.) It was this form of meditation that he dedicated himself to before attaining enlightenment under a Banyan tree. As far as I know.
  • @ LeonBasin : Single-pointed focus on the breath, without interruption, improves concentration and will eventually give rise to a perfectly serene & still mind. Very usefull in combating distractions, especially the five hindrances. But that serene mind, by itself, cannot lead to liberation from dukkha. Sooner or later, we will have to widen our focus to be aware of "all" our experiences. I think the next step would be to practice "uninterrupted awareness" not only of the breath but of everything that enters through the six sense gates (eye, ear, nose, tongue, body, and mind). Maybe this is where you "just sit" and see what comes up. It is this uninterrupted awareness of all our experiences (seeing them as they are - without adding labels, views, opinions, etc..) that is supposed to produce the wisdom to understand dukkha and its cessation... so it says in some of the books I've read. ;)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Talisman, no the first dimension blah blah is book knowledge. Formless means that it is with a minimum of form experience just as it is tanha and all. You can't assume you have had the experiences in the book and can understand what the first dimension blah blah means. STick to your experience.

Consider what happens when you are meditating based on forms. Absorption. Ok your neighbor is having construction on his house and they are pounding hammers. In this form of meditation your enlightenment is dependent on controlling your neighbor or putting in earplugs. Even if a woodpecker comes he obstructs the enlightenment. This is because reliance on conditioned phenomena does not work.

Formless meditation is resting in the nature of mind as it is. You can say space. But space doesn't refer to the dimension x or outer space.

Jhana can arise during formless meditation but you welcome all experiences so jhana is not thirsted for. Well if it is then you welcome THAT ;)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    A student writes:

"How can I restart the practice? I read the book again, and tried to get the idea of spaciousness back. But the space is very hard to imagine, very hard."

Lama Shenpen:

That is because you are approaching it with some kind of anxiety - the important thing is to approach it fresh as if you had never experienced space before - just gently wondering what it could mean - as if you had no idea at all.

Student:

"My breath seems to come and go into such a small, confined space, and I cannot get any sense of a larger space, only this little claustrophobic space around me."

Lama Shenpen:

So gently explore that little claustrophobic space - how big is it actually? Three feet all round? Or just in front? Above? Then what? What is the other side of that boundary? What is that boundary in fact? Is it inside or outside?

Are you sure it is such a tight space? Or is it a feeling? Turn towards the feeling and be gentle and interested in how it relates to space - just keep wondering in a gentle and interested way
  • I have stated several times that I have not experienced Jhana. And this is not just "book knowledge." These are the words of the Buddha. I was asking you to explain what you meant by "formless meditation." What you described is ... well I'm not really sure what you were describing. Something about being destracted by your neighbors and outer space or something.

The dimension of the infinitude of space consists of the perception of the dimension of the infinitude of space, singleness of mind, contact, feeling, perception, intention, consciousness, desire, decision, persistence, mindfulness, equanimity, and attention. The Buddha is not vague or obtuse. He speaks to the point, describing with eloquence and detail the stages, methods, and signs of the path leading to liberation.

The advice you quoted from your Lama is good advice, but I'm not sure how it relates to this topic.
  • @Talisman

formless meditations, also called arupa-jhanas are:
    infinite space
    infinite consciousness
    infinite emptyness
    neither perception nor non-perception
  • okay thank you
  • @vincenzi

Is this what tibetan and other mahayana buddhist traditions mean when they say the "formless meditations?"
  • Thanks so much for clarifying that @vincenzi, you bring unity and harmony. I deeply appreciate it.
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited July 2011
    @Talisman

the arupa-jhanas are mostly from Theravada, but whichever Mahayana tradition acknowledges the Pali Tripitaka it includes the arupa-jhanas. they are not unattainable btw, but I'm trying not to be a jhana junkie... he

you are welcome :)
  • TalismanTalisman Veteran
    edited July 2011
    @vincenzi
    I don't have the time, privacy, or proper instruction for attaining the Jhanas at this time. I'm sticking to zazen for now, while continuing to educate myself as best I can. I have faith that as my practice improves, the fruition of my efforts will lead me to the conditions necessary for perfecting samadhi as a factor for awakening and to the benefit of all sentient life.
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited July 2011
    @Talisman

that's nice, don't put more pressure than necessary... it was mostly that I re-learned the jhanas in this life; I have had no direct teacher.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I have stated several times that I have not experienced Jhana. And this is not just "book knowledge." These are the words of the Buddha.

***I was pointing out that you can't just see something in a sutra "space" and assume that refers to the same thing that a lama is talking about when they say "space". The sutras are only of value when you have the experience to know what they are talking about. When you have experienced the formless blah blah blah it will be of more value to look back in the sutra. You are correct that book knowledge is valuable but you have to bridge yogic experience with book knowledge.. The book might say non-self, but if you meditate and find 'self' then that is your experience as it is. You shouldn't just negate your experience as wrong because the book says. Instead get curious and lightly examine the issue.

I was asking you to explain what you meant by "formless meditation." What you described is ... well I'm not really sure what you were describing. Something about being destracted by your neighbors and outer space or something.

***I was explaining that form meditaiton is opening to experience as it is. As opposed to an absorption which may or may not be obstructed by conditional phenomena. Since a formed meditation is conditional it does not bring enlightenment.

The dimension of the infinitude of space consists of the perception of the dimension of the infinitude of space, singleness of mind, contact, feeling, perception, intention, consciousness, desire, decision, persistence, mindfulness, equanimity, and attention. The Buddha is not vague or obtuse. He speaks to the point, describing with eloquence and detail the stages, methods, and signs of the path leading to liberation.

***thats interesting, I have heard others talk of a sense of infinititude of space. I don't think experiences should be avoided due to mention in the sutras as not producing enlightenment unless it says in the sutras that they are dangerous. Experiences are just experiences and perhaps a realization of infinitude could have some value. The actual formless practice would be to welcome ANY experience whether it seems limited or the contrary. Do you see?

The advice you quoted from your Lama is good advice, but I'm not sure how it relates to this topic.

*** apologies for tone of my post.. I think you can get from context in lama shenpens post what her instruction is for investigating space. It is a yogic experience rather than a description.. it is to be discovered.. Not all buddhists practice the formless meditation but my lama believes it is the practice leading to enlightenment..

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    A student writes:

"By whatever you call it shine, shamata, or just calm abiding, I keep coming across teachings that advise first developing stability of the mind by meditating on a form (usually an object of religious significance) then moving to a formless practice."

Lama Shenpen:

Yes this is very standard way of teaching. However there is a great deal of difference of opinion about how much stability is needed from meditation on a form before moving into formless practice.

In my experience one can introduce form at any stage and it can be helpful - and then when there is a bit of stability it is good to move on to a subtle form such as the breath or body sensations.

Then gradually we can move on to pure formless practice - but there is usually some kind of form in that - sometimes more on one day than on another.

It is best to keep in touch with a teacher to talk about your particular situation.

A lot depends on what is happening for the particular student.

Student:

"I actually do both the meditation on form and the formless practice that you teach and I decide on which to do depending on the restlessness of my mind - most often it is on form."

Lama Shenpen:

That sounds sensible.

Student:

"Am I incorrect in my practice?"

Lama Shenpen:

Possibly - it would be good to talk to me about it some time.

Student:

"Would I do best to stay on one only or just do form practice until I can achieve a lasting stability?"

Lama Shenpen:

No - that way you would just be stuck forever.

Student:

"Then move on to do only the formless meditation alone?"

Lama Shenpen:

No � it's not always easy to link into formless practice.

Student:

"Or is your finding that it is best for your students to just stick to the formless practice -restlessness not withstanding?"

Lama Shenpen:

It's best to talk to me about the restlessness - it depends what kind of restlessness it is.

Student:

"Your teaching speaks to me and I find myself understanding more little by little but honestly it is difficult to practice formless meditation when most of my readings tell me otherwise and those around me practice on form.

Or is it just my ego trying to defeat my practice?"

Lama Shenpen:

No it's not ego � it's a genuine and important question that deserves careful consideration.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Feel free to search the database. These are all from free biweekly excerpts of student questions and answers.. should you sign up you will receive them
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Jeffrey,
    its just a support to prevent the whole session from being a daydream about what it would be like if obi won kanobi had been in starwars 2.
    In my experience (although what you say may be one of the benefits of focusing on the breath) it is not "just" this - it is potentially much more profound than this.

Metta,

Guy
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Talisman,
    There is the case where a monk, secluded from sensuality, secluded from unskillful qualities, enters & remains in the first jhana: rapture & pleasure born of seclusion, accompanied by directed thought & evaluation.

AN 9.36
    FYI - The "directed thought and evaluation" is debatable as to the meaning of the words "vitaka" and "vicara" in the context of Jhana.

Metta,

Guy
  • Just being is an amzazing feeling, which cannot really be described in words. Alot of people ask me 'am i enlightened' But what is enlightened? I believe in being awake. Awake is just being...If your eating, eat. If your drinking, drink. If your writing, write. Whatever your doing, just do. Theres no magical experience or feeling. However that itself is magical. ;)
  • @buddhacoe

enlightened is a western term; awakened is the literal translation of buddha... so you are basically claiming to be a buddha.
  • edited July 2011
    In buddhism a Buddha is someone who has realized the enlightenment that ends the cycle of birth and death and which brings liberation from suffering. However although I considered myself a buddhist I don't actually believe in rebirth and reancarnation blar blar blar...so a becoming a buddha doesn't really interest me! What does interest me is finding the truth for myself and becoming awake! Am I awake? I believe (for me) I am yes!! I believe I have experienced many satori moments and finally found my own truth within me! Like I said, its all just about being....be completely in the moment.whether good bad, or ugly, just be. Life doesn't owe me anything so why should I complain about anything, again just let be....and live. And I don't owe life anything so I'm gonna throw everything at It before I die..

Am I a buddha? Hell no, because the explanation of a buddha is to far fetched for me. I honestly believe buddha would have still had emotions, angry, hate, etc etc but he just knew how to deal with them. Its all about accepting life. (I think anyway, don't take my word for it coz my truth will differ from others) we all have to experience our own truth.