Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Fear of Truth

edited July 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Hi All,

This is my first posting here. I've been drawn to Eastern Philosophy and Buddhism in particular because I think the perspective on life is much healthier and freeing than the typical notions held in the west. I have engaged the practice of focusing on the breath twice a days for 15-20 mins for about a week now and already feel a slight shift in how I view things.

As someone that deals with anxiety and formally panic attacks, I can honestly say that sometimes I'm concerned about what will happen should I continue the meditation practice. I've gotten mixed reviews here that some are happy that they started and it seems that some reach a great period of unrelenting darkness. I frightens me to think that I could be headed for a place where I relate to absolutely nothing, and am adorned with nihilistic tendencies. Is there any advice on making sure that I continue on the right path? I fear that I won't be able to truly feel human, as I guess I'm attached to this notion of a somber and stoic monk that does not display emotion. How does that monk feel on the inside? Could he laugh and crack jokes with his friends if he wanted to? Or does he feel that those things (jokes, spending time with friends) are trivial in the greater scheme of enlightenment?

Furthermore, if happiness is achieved by providing it to others isn't that contradictory to the teachings? Any happiness that one human can provide to another is nothing that would be able to last. Therefore our directing good deeds to others provokes delusion as they see us as a source of happiness?

I ranted a lot there and not necessarily in any one direction. So if anyone would like to provide clarity on any part of what I said, I'd appreciate it sincerely. I just want to be a provider of peace and happiness, and to be free and authentic myself.

Comments

• edited July 2011
    I don't know why some would go to a place of 'unrelenting darkness', but I know that fear of nihilism often tends to revolve around the doctrine of 'no-self', where nothing has an existence that is truly independent of the rest of existence, and where the goal of Buddhist meditation is to experience this truth in our moment-to-moment consciousness in order to be truly 'selfless', thereby ridding ourselves of the suffering that comes with the illusion of self: i.e., envy, greed, fear, anxiety, immorality.

But the point is that this doctrine of 'no-self' can be seen in one of two ways. Either it means we don't exist and meditation means extinguishing ourselves and experiencing being 'one with nothingness' (nihilism), or it means that we exist as an inseparable part of the greater whole that is nature, and meditation is about experiencing being 'one with everything' (which I see as the opposite of nihilism). Of course I believe that Buddhism should be about the second view. So the advice I'd give is to take this view on the matter.

I'd also say that any somber, stoic monk who cannot joke and laugh with friends is too attached to the idea of non-attachment. The true idea is not to get rid of sense pleasures, relationships, or interactions with others, but to recognize their impermanence so that if/when they change you remain content. And, as I seem to be saying often lately, you can use that concept of impermanence to treasure all those things all the more while they last.

Lastly, if the happiness being given to others is in the form of showing them that selflessness itself is the path to happiness, I don't see that there's a problem. It's only if the ONLY form of happiness you're giving is in the form of material goods that would be contradicting the teachings.

That's my ramblings anyway.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    My lama cracks jokes in her talks. I would recommend to be generous with yourself and gentle and not condemn self. To go towards a light touch slow and steady.

"Furthermore, if happiness is achieved by providing it to others isn't that contradictory to the teachings? Any happiness that one human can provide to another is nothing that would be able to last. Therefore our directing good deeds to others provokes delusion as they see us as a source of happiness?"

codependency doesn't provide happiness. by following the path you gain heartfelt good intentions and wisdom. To that degree you CAN value to others. But you can't liberate them from samsara, they gotta do it. You can give them material, show fearlessness, and give dharma teachings.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Welcome @justbe. Hope you find something useful here.

The situation you posed that caught my attention was the fear of what you seek ... let's tentatively call it the 'truth.'

Not that it's much consolation but I think you have an enormous amount of company among those who are serious about their practice. This has all sorts of precedents in spiritual history. In Vedanta, for example, the great Swami Vivekananda (1862-1902) was quoted as saying, when his teacher, Ramakrishna, was about to open him up with a finger placed against Vivekananda's forehead, "Not yet! Not yet!"

What happens if, at the end of all this effort, I turn out to be crazier than I already am? What happens if I turn into some no-affect zombie with a halo? What happens if, instead of loving and enjoying this life, I turn into some nihilistic nerd?

On the one hand, the truth, together with its attendant clarity and compassion, may be more enticing than chocolate. On the other hand, could you still play poker on Thursday nights, go out on a hot date, run a marathon, have pets, eat hot dogs, or cuss up a storm when you hit your thumb with a hammer? What would you do with the truth if you actually realized it? Would it embrace you or would it eat you for breakfast?

What eases such fears, perhaps, is the gentle firmness that is required in practice. Gently ... allow the fears to come and go. Firmly ... continue your practice. Check out with care the people alleged to have some 'attainment.' "With care" means digging into the particulars and not just being satisfied with the throngs which may applaud his or her name or deeds. Moreover, try to remember that Buddhism is for one person and one person only ...you. Without you, Buddhism is dead in the water -- a corpse. This is no joke. Buddhism is for you ... not the other way around.

Will you make mistakes along the way? Count on it. The person who makes no mistakes never has a chance to learn anything. Another name for a Buddhist practice might be Mistakes R Us. So, in one sense, you can relax. In another sense, the yearning for the 'truth' is not likely to be fulfilled while lying in a hammock. Patience, courage and doubt are brought to bear. People will tell you there is good stuff to be unearthed in Buddhism. They are right. People will tell you there is bad stuff to be unearthed in Buddhism. They are right too. But Buddhism that bases itself solely on what others assert is useless in the end. What counts, and what bears nourishing fruit, comes entirely from your patient practice.

Good luck and try not to fret too much. Nihilism is a cheap date, one that a Buddhist practice can easily defeat. And the same is true of some imaginary ascendant bliss ... practice tells a far more reassuring tale than the blissful woo-hoo's.

Just keep up your good practice.

And excuse my long-windedness.

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Awesome reply genkaku! :)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    yes enjoyed it genkaku, food for thought
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Does this look like the kind of person you are imagining? :)

• genkaku _/\_

Negation that is either affirming or non-affirming is merely conceptual emptiness, i.e. pre-equipoise. The real thing is in meditative equipoise.
  • thank you all for the assurance. When sensations/feelings of disconnect arrive.am I to meditate through it and just note it? or just take some time off. Please let me know up until I have a chance to consult a teacher
  • Nihilistic is right approach. You ought to relish in achieving a nihilistic mind for a start, and to continue to nihilistic away this nihilistic mind. While along this practice, you ought to maintain your loving-kindedness. Eventually, the negative emotional of non-lovingkindedness attachment & discrimination become an unconditional lovingkindedness, as all sentient beings having the same Buddha nature and the lovingkindedness heart in Buddha and sentient beings is equal :thumbsup:
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Buddhism isn't against having friends! (but there's some advice in having good friends)

don't worry about "dark nights of the soul" and similar; if you don't play with fire (basically tummo, kundalini and tantra).
  • "The condition of truth is allowing suffering to speak" Ardorno, I think thats how u spell his name.. :]
  • Thank you all for that

And @Vincenzi , when you say that, does that mean "dark nights of the soul" will not occur unless I engage tummo, kundalini or tantra practices? I have not heard that to be the case.
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited July 2011
    @justbe

if there are and you are not engaging in those three practices, they will be much "softer" and nicer.

however, after "dark nights" the improvement is faster...