Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"Meditation as an Escape" Jacque Fresco - Meditation

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited July 2011 in Meditation

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Letting go is bullshit, he seems to say. But he suggests we have to let go of letting go. No one can walk into the woods and know the future, but he seems unwilling to concede that no one, hard-working or otherwise, can ever know the future.

Generally, he seems to be on a useful track (no one can 'bring out' what is not already there), but is unwilling to follow his own Yellow Brick Road as far as I can see.

Basically, he seems to be pissed off at the navel-gazing, airy-fairy aspects of spiritual life. Can't say as I blame him.
  • Maybe his navel is not very pretty.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2011
    You let go of anxiety. You let go of false notions.. He's taking 'let go' quite literally. Also he is correct that meditation is not in isolation. I don't think any teacher says otherwise, all is relative correct? Meditation does not mean you turn your back on the world.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    "Shit and all they got is rap to listen to
    I let them know we missin you the love is unconditional
    Even when the condition is critical, when the living is miserable
    Your position is pivotal, I ain't bullshitting you
    Now why would I lie, just to get by? Just to get by, we get fly"

~Talib Kweli
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Oh no, the Venus Project! :rarr:
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    You think it's pure crap?
    "Shit and all they got is rap to listen to
    I let them know we missin you the love is unconditional
    Even when the condition is critical, when the living is miserable
    Your position is pivotal, I ain't bullshitting you
    Now why would I lie, just to get by? Just to get by, we get fly"

~Talib Kweli
    Veryy good song! I met Talib Kweli before he seemed interesting. I met Mos Def too.

You let go of anxiety. You let go of false notions.. He's taking 'let go' quite literally. Also he is correct that meditation is not in isolation. I don't think any teacher says otherwise, all is relative correct? Meditation does not mean you turn your back on the world.
    Some meditation is to be outside of this world and some here and now.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    this and that exist in the space of awareness
  • jlljll Veteran
    Well, Buddha 'navel-gazed' watching his breath, samadhi,
    vipassana and nirvana. Its better to conquer your mind than a thousand armies.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Leon,
    I think it sounds good on the surface - i.e. no money, no menial work, abundance of resources - sounds great!

...But...in this "resource based economy" who manages these resources? Who decides who gets what? No private property? I could easily see the management of this system become centralized into the hands of control-freaks and turn into an Orwellian nightmare.

Metta,

Guy
    Hi Leon,
    I think it sounds good on the surface - i.e. no money, no menial work, abundance of resources - sounds great!

...But...in this "resource based economy" who manages these resources? Who decides who gets what? No private property? I could easily see the management of this system become centralized into the hands of control-freaks and turn into an Orwellian nightmare.

Metta,

Guy
    Right!
    Great points!
    Yea to get to that level, it would definitely take a lot.