Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

thinking smart about our happiness

taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
edited July 2011 in Arts & Writings
what i've been realizing more and more is that i am happy when i am least self cherishing.
i find myself laughing and smiling more when i spread all the things i enjoy onto other people.
when others are happy around me, then i find myself naturally feeding off those happiness vibes.

so the bodhisattva makes it his/her duty to be enlightened, so that the bodhisattva can be happy by spreading it around.
the more we place the other's happiness onto a pedastal, the more and more happy we get.

but i suppose that isn't always the case. why is that? it is because of our self cherishing mind. this self cherishing even goes beyond mind.
sure we all know we need to help others, yet do we? the self cherishing nature is deeply rooted in our being, way beyond mind.

so it seems pretty obvious. either help others in their happiness by making resolve to wake up and start smelling the flowers.
your "self" interest can be transformed for "real" happiness, by directing such energy to desire enlightenment.

what is it that an enlightened fella has that i don't have? an unconditional contentment?
why am i not content? is it because i don't accept what is? contentment is totally accepting what is. it is saying yes to whatever happens, thus one's happiness isn't determined by external circumstances. one is always content.

but then why do we aspire for enlightenment in the future? why do we tell ourselves that we'll be content later on. when i get this then i'll be content.
it seems like that is just a cop out. if i need to become something then that means that it isn't here right now. but what the hell do i need to be content?

if i need something to be content then isn't my contentment dependent on that thing. doesn't that make my happiness conditional? is that true contentment?

contentment is simple. we either say no to life or we say yes to life. by accepting totally what is, we become free from becoming. meaning we become but we are content through acceptance.

thus contentment is a choice. why aren't you content?

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I think in part because we have negative thoughts about others. And we take those thoughts too seriously.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    lol well those projections are what is conditioning ourselves to be unhappy.

if we realize that then wouldn't it be easy to cut that shit out?
  • edited July 2011
    Yes your right, we cannot say 'when i have this or that then ill be content' thats implying *future* but we are not guaranteed 'this' future..What we have is RIGHT NOW. To be content is to just BE....to accept. Accept what? Accept LIFE. But people just cant seem to accept things. Even tiny things like having no milk left to make a cup of tea,they cant even accept this and suffer for little bit before eventually accepting, then just buying more..lol..BUT Accepting things doesnt mean if we dont like them we cant change them. quite the opposite actually.

To change something we first have to accept what is...then, act.
    We can still be content,for its within us. Even if we want to change something.

There is a quote i really like which is: ''accept the things you cannot change; Have the courage to change the things you can; and have the wisdom to know the difference...''
    If you Master this. you master your life.

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    yeah contentment is not complacency.
  • edited July 2011
    exactly!!! That comes down to the mind..another story!!!

content is just being 'satsified'
    And it is very very easy to be satisfied if we just let be..
    Life doesnt owe us anything, why do people assume life should go this way or that way..'we hear everyday 'he died too young' etc etc but no one said we were guaranteed to live till 100. We need to 'accept' this and just live each moment.
    Its an amazing feeling. just being....

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2011
    accept being discontent.. discontent is the energy which overcomes
  • accept being discontent..
    Yep!! :)
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    well all say yes in the end. why not do it while we are alive?

lol
  • zen_worldzen_world Veteran
    edited July 2011
    if there is happiness then there is sadness and suffering because of duality...happiness is impermanent...
    hapiness is attachment...being peaceful and being content are different than happiness. We can't let go and live NOW because peaceful mind is not enough, we want more, we want happiness because we are addicted to its vibrating energy...
  • Within the mind lies eternity...We've got eternity to reach a state yet to be described. :)
  • but then why do we aspire for enlightenment in the future? why do we tell ourselves that we'll be content later on. when i get this then i'll be content. it seems like that is just a cop out. if i need to become something then that means that it isn't here right now. but what the hell do i need to be content?

contentment is simple. we either say no to life or we say yes to life. by accepting totally what is, we become free from becoming. meaning we become but we are content through acceptance.
    naturally, i disagree

the path is certainly about freeing the mind from craving to become

but this does not infer contentment arises immediately

it still takes time for past conditioning to purify and deep real contentment to manifest

:)

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    you can be content and still life arises.

i suppose become is the wrong word. "shit happens" would be a better word.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited July 2011
    you can be content and still life arises.
    i actually do not understand what you are attempting to say here :confused:

superstitions can be about reincarnation, God, Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, etc

superstitions can also be about emptiness
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2011
    are you saying that becoming happens eternally? so if a war starts that would be an arising, a becoming?

I think becoming has to do with fabrications in response to the war.. Thinking that arises in response to the situation and the idea that we have to do something. And then in the progress whatever we were trying to do 'becomes'.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited July 2011
    sure...war is certainly becoming because it is the manifestation of greed, hatred & delusion

but "life" is not becoming, per se

"becoming" is mental constructs, mental concepts, mental proliferation, particularly, mental identification of "I", "me" and "mine"

when the Buddha freed his mind from becoming, life did not end

:)
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    yup, life goes on.