Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Confused.- Addiction

2»

Comments

• JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Knitwitch,
    I'll do anything I can to help ya. It's been One year, one month, one week, five days, 17 hours, 43 minutes and 37 seconds. 8174 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,634.95. Life saved: 4 weeks, 9 hours, 10 minutes. But I'm not attached to quitting smoking. LOL!
  • edited February 2006
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • edited February 2006
    I agree with the preference for speaking of dependency rather than addiction. If you refer to the DSM-IV-TR, there are specific criteria for dependency, abuse, withdrawal, tolerance, etc.. It think it is more accurate than "addiciton" which not only includes what is part of the DSM but also has many other emotional connotations.

Addicition used to refer to substances but now has been expanded to include so many behaviours that it loses specificity. I think that we all think that we are talking about the same thing but addiction might in fact have different meanings to each of us based on facts, emotions, experiences, etc.

:canflag:
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Mujaku,
    I hadn't gone back and read this thread but I just read your statement about searching people's personal affects and taking the alcohol out. First of all, isn't that stealing which we aren't to do? Why is it the action of a Bodhisattva? My understanding is that the Bodhisatva has forgone Nirvana to help others attain enlightenment. How does stealing show enlightenment? What my fellow nurse's and I were taught is to empty the person's belongings in front of them, make a written inventory of the items, and then lock them up if harmful, or give them to a family member. I know that option 2 isn't possible in the military, but I don't see where doing it secretively would be condoned. It's still stealing. By the way, did you drink it? If you did, you stole it and used intoxicating substances. How does that tie in with the idea of a Bodhisatva?

If I don't understand that brand of logic, please call me "profane". I have worked with a number of alcoholics and done what I could to help them get and/or stay sober. I would never dream of taking something that didn't belong to me. And those were days when I was seriously thinking I might be an atheist.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Jer,

That's why I got flustered and forgot Right Speech in my post. What he had written was filthy and I couldn't stay silent. Trash like that could get a guy banned. But I should have been mindful anyway. It was just the watching with glee part that got me...

Great post.

Love, Brigid