Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Metaphysics

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited July 2011 in Philosophy
The Buddha claims that nothing is truly permanent. Everything exists in dependence on something else. There are, however, some entities that are more fundamental than others, in the sense that they are not simply concepts. Staying close to the original teachings of the Buddha, we could here refer to skhandhas. Moving to abhidharma, we can say that only dharmas are fundamental entities (even though they exist only momentarily).
My question is this; are there different kinds of dharmas? Looking at the skhandhas we can see some kind of dualism; besides the rupa skhandha, the other four are obviously mental. For the dharmas, it looks to be the same; there is a different method to distinguish between a physical dharma or a non-physical dharma. We can not call this a substance dualism, because the dharmas should be regarded as qualities, and not as substances. Would we be right to call it another kind of dualism? Which different kind of entities does the buddhist claim to exist?

Comments

• You are right, the absolute realities (paramattha dhammas) may seem like a kind of duality - mental phenomena (nama) and physical/material phenomena (rupa). You are also right in that these are qualities or properties, rather than substanes.

Nama can be further divided into three categories, two of which are conditioned (arising due to past and present causes) and one which is unconditioned. These are consciousness (citta), mental factors or mental formations (cetasikas), and Nibbana.

These can also be further subdivided, such as 89 different types of citta, 52 different types of cetasikas, and 28 different types of rupa.

Nibbana is the one type of unconditioned reality as it doesn't have a beginning or an end, and does not experience anything although it can be directly experienced.

Therefore, it could be said that there are really four kinds of absolute realities:
    1. (89 different types of) Consciousness
    2. (52 different types of) Mental factors/formations
    3. (28 different types of) Materiality
    4. Nibbana
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    You are right, the absolute realities (paramattha dhammas) may seem like a kind of duality - mental phenomena (nama) and physical/material phenomena (rupa). You are also right in that these are qualities or properties, rather than substanes.

Nama can be further divided into three categories, two of which are conditioned (arising due to past and present causes) and one which is unconditioned. These are consciousness (citta), mental factors or mental formations (cetasikas), and Nibbana.

These can also be further subdivided, such as 89 different types of citta, 52 different types of cetasikas, and 28 different types of rupa.

Nibbana is the one type of unconditioned reality as it doesn't have a beginning or an end, and does not experience anything although it can be directly experienced.

Therefore, it could be said that there are really four kinds of absolute realities:
    4. Nibbana
    Can you expand a little bit on these:
    4. Nibbana
  • Dealing with all of the subdivisions is where Abidhamma can seem pretty confusing and tedious. Check out this article entitled Abhidhamma And Practice and its appendix for further explanation. The appendix actually lists all of the different subdivisions, so its worth checking out.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Dealing with all of the subdivisions is where Abidhamma can seem pretty confusing and tedious. Check out this article entitled Abhidhamma And Practice and its appendix for further explanation. The appendix actually lists all of the different subdivisions, so its worth checking out.
    Thank you!
    Will do!:)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    My teacher says that the skandas are confused perceptions of the reality and that that is part of the suffering of samsara.
  • my opinion:

About 7 years ago I tried very hard to make sense of the Ahibdharma, I think I have the kind of philosophical mind and training to give it a good shot - but now I think it is an intractable tangle that has no simple or clear relation to the four noble truths, the eightfold path or the three foundations.

Dharma is a metaphysically rich and consistent set of interconnected truths.

I think the Ahibdharma is an appendage added hundreds and hundreds of years after the teachings of Buddha. I cannot imagine the Buddha taught Ahibdharma.

I could very well be wrong and would love to have the Ahibdharma explained to me if anyone can.

Salome