Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Bushido Code

VincenziVincenzi Veteran
edited July 2011 in General Banter
who here's follow this code of conduct?

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    what is it?
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    1. Justice/Rectitude
    2. Courage
    3. Benevolence/Mercy
    4. Politeness
    5. Honesty
    6. Honor
    7. Loyalty
    8. Character/Self Control

More or less.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2011
    who follows that lol? I maybe try to but its kinda a high bar. Most anyone who claims that is pretty much automatically having problems with honesty.
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited July 2011
    I actually don't like to use the word Bushido because that was a word very much related to the Tokugawa rule in Japan. It was actually like a religion. It seems a bit political to me. But "the way of the warrior" can still be beneficial to ones life. The same way that Buddhism can. It's not really meant to be used as a set of ethics, a religion, or a code to dictate your life, but more it's supposed to be used as a psychological tool to strengthen yourself, to inspire.

It's all about inspiring and continuing to fight towards living a better life. To get rid of your fears, to take the bull by the horns, to face your demons in order to try and liberate yourself towards something better. I look at the Way of the Warrior as the fire that destroys in order to build, and Buddhism as the water that heals when there is too much fire. So in my opinion they're complimentary.

The Urban Samurai has really great articles related to this type of psychology. I highly recommend his stuff.
    http://www.urbansamurai.com/
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Have no idea why this was considered a 'Members Only' thread.
    Moved to General Banter.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    It is a nice code Vincenzi, I was just saying that it is hard to follow. Yeah its not really members only material though I agree.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Associatively, there is a small, off-beat movie called "Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_Dog:_The_Way_of_the_Samurai
  • i didn't knew where to put it!

i follow the bushido minus "rei" (obedience) and adding ahimsa as first one... but that's because of my life (prior abode) as a samurai.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    harmony maybe instead of obedience
  • @Vincenzi
    Rei actually means "respect". Whenever we bow to each other in "Budo" (Traditional Japanese martial arts) we're performing rei. It's a form of mutual respect, not obedience. The word samurai actually means "one who serves". So perhaps respect was the actual most important part of Bushido out of all the code.

Out of everything I remember, respect was the one that had the highest priority. During Kendo one time, we had a very old Japanese retired military who came to practice with us. He was our guest of honor. At the end of the class I took out my tenugui (my bandana I wear under the mask to prevent sweat from running down my eyes) and I lightly flicked it to straighten it out so I could fold it.

The yudansha sitting next to me then looked at me and whispered;
    "Don't flick it like that around these older Japanese military veterans. That sound reminds them of the many decapitations that went along with hara kiri back then in their warring days. That's exactly how it sounded to them."

So it's little things like this that we had to be aware of, even while practicing Kendo (the way of the sword/samurai). There were many little things that were acts of respect and etiquette that we had to remember.
  • harmony maybe instead of obedience
    that's nice, and compatible with ahimsa!
  • @Mr Serenity

"samsara ni rei, nirvana ni rei"

what about a buddha samurai?
  • @Mr Serenity

I would like to know how Buddhism squares with Samurai as well, if at all.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Welcome back sherab..
  • Welcome back sherab..
    Thanks. I was without a wireless signal for about eight days.
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited August 2011
    @Mr Serenity

Buddhism is a way of thinking that has the potential to work with everything. I only use it for useful psychology, not religion. Buddhism to me is a tool to help aid me when I need it. It's not my way of life. Even the way of the warrior is not my way of life. They're just tools that aid my individual psychology.

A knife can be used to stab someone, or to cut bread and serve the hungry. This is the same way the way of the warrior can be used, and it's the same with Buddhism. It's not about the "way or the religion" in general. It's about how they're used by that particular person.

• @Mr Serenity

some (or most) samurai were buddhist, at least nominally.
  • (...)

Buddhism is a way of thinking that has the potential to work with everything. I only use it for useful psychology, not religion. Buddhism to me is a tool to help aid me when I need it. It's not my way of life. Even the way of the warrior is not my way of life. They're just tools that aid my individual psychology.

A knife can be used to stab someone, or to cut bread and serve the hungry. This is the same way the way of the warrior can be used, and it's the same with Buddhism. It's not about the "way or the religion" in general. It's about how they're used by that particular person.

a knife was the first tool made by humans... a katana is basically a longer knife.