Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation 3 Ways: Way Number One– Thinkin' About Thinkin'

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited August 2011 in Meditation
By: Robert Kopecky

The goals of meditation are twofold: 1) to become a witness to our thoughts, and separate our true inner-self from thinking's imaginary fears and demands 2) to unite our true inner self with all Being, Love, and Life in the Universe. No problem, right?

The problem often starts when we sit down to clear our mind, and it doesn't just clear. We can't just turn off our thoughts and go straight to that calm, peaceful nirvana that meditation can and will lead us into, if we practice, practice, practice. Like how you get to Carnegie Hall.

So here are three ways to deal with the challenge of a noisy mind, culled from my experience, that I hope you'll find helpful. Nothing official - I pulled these categories out of the air, so they may be used elsewhere with a similar intention. They basically concern: what do we think about when we meditate, and how can it lead us to a serene and focused place?

Analytical Meditation

Thinking is an overlying process that demands movement. Our minds can be relentless, hopping from subject to subject. Stringing together seemingly unrelated topics, or often dragging us unwittingly into difficult and upsetting areas, like the antics of an Ex, or the politics of the office, or the world.

Full Article:
http://www.evolver.net/user/kokolion/blog/meditation_3_ways_way_number_one–_thinkin_about_thinkin

Comments

• True self? Is there such a thing in Buddhism?
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    True self? Is there such a thing in Buddhism?
    "True self" is just one tentative way of referring to a situation in which thought, word and deed are in peaceful accord. It's not a gold star you receive for being 'good' or an item that goes on sale at Walmart.
  • I see true self = to Buddha Nature...
    Just a thought.