Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Celibacy: Time for Reforms?

DakiniDakini Veteran
edited August 2011 in Buddhism Today
July 26 the NY Times published a letter to the editor on celibacy and the Catholic Church. These comments are relevant to celibacy in Buddhism as well.

"[referring to] sexual abuse by priests...the root of the problem is mandatory celibacy.
There is a reason religions with a married clergy have no comparable problem--not that they are problem-free. Celibacy is not a bona fide occupational qualification for ministry. To insist on it insults the institution of marriage, branding it as an impediment to religious service. Also, as recently publicized priestly scandals and crimes around the world attest, this attempted suppression of human sexuality in priests does not work and is arguably an invitation to pathology."
--by D. C. Maguire, professor of theology at Marquette University

The situation in Buddhism is arguably more complex; Zen and Tibetan Buddhism allow monks to marry in some sects, and in TB there are other classes of married teachers, such as Yogis, secular Rinpoches, etc. Some of these non-celibate teachers or clergy also abuse their positions of trust and power, just like some celibate lamas, so celibacy is not the only factor contributing to abuse by clergy.

Personally, I don't think celibacy should be eliminated altogether in Buddhism. There are some devoted individuals who are able to keep to the discipline. I think the monastic life should be freely chosen (children shouldn't be allowed to join monasteries or nunneries) and the monastic population should be limited to those who see monkhood/nunhood as a calling.

for an alternative opinion on whether or not celibacy is the cause of abuse by clergy, see:
http://www.thinkingfaith.org/articles/20100415_1.htm
abuse cases in Theravada in the US:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-07-24/news/ct-met-monk-sex-cases-20110724_1-thai-monks-buddhist-monks-paul-numrich

Is it time to reconsider celibacy, and the manner in which Buddhist monks arrive at their monastic status? Does Prof. Maguire raise some valid points?

Comments

• too late... there's already a school of Zen that allows for marriage of monks... nah, brahmis. (there are priestesses too).
  • It always amazes me how people want to change the rules
    to fit their own preferences. It is a form of attachment.
    If you want to play soccer, you dont start arguing with the referee
    that you should be allowed to use your hands.
    If you want to be a buddhist monk or catholic priest, why do you still
    want to have sex?
    Why is sex so important?
    Sex is a sensual pleasure, it does not lead to liberation.
    If you cant give up sex, do you think you can free yourself
    from other attachments?
  • @hermitwin

the only "rule" i follow is the Dharma... next argument.
  • Maybe the best way to combat sexual misconduct is to have a good ole' romp in the hay every now and then. I think requiring celibacy is essentially asking for problems. Certainly some people can pull it off just fine, but that clearly isn't the case with the vast majority of people. It leads to sexual abuse or personal mental/emotional problems. I think celibacy should be an optional vow for those who choose to undertake it, but I do not think it ought to be required. If a monk and a nun who share a mutual attraction want to get it on sometimes then what harm is done? I'm sure it happens more often than we'll ever realize anyway.
  • There are some devoted individuals who are able to keep to the discipline. I think the monastic life should be freely chosen (children shouldn't be allowed to join monasteries or nunneries) and the monastic population should be limited to those who see monkhood/nunhood as a calling.
    Celibacy does not require "discipline". Monkhood is not a "calling".

Celibate people are celibate because nature (or 'God') made them that way.

:)
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited August 2011
    If you want to be a buddhist monk or catholic priest, why do you still want to have sex?
    Many become monks & priests due to supersitious views

It is difficult for superstitious views to be the foundation for extinguishing natural instinctual sexual urges and developing samadhi bliss

• Hence good Buddhist organisations will only accept people who are ready.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2011
    @NOTaGangsta, until you can communicate in a mature and ordinary way, where appropriate, I'm just going to delete any subsequent inane banter of yours.
    you have been warned.

Celibacy in theological callings is mainly implemented because carnal knowledge is deemed to be sinful.
    Celibacy in Buddhism is seen as a discipline of detachment form wordly desires.

The two forms of celibacy are quite diffeent.

celibacy is not implemented across the board, in either Theological callings or Buddhist ones.

I really don't see your problem, Dakini.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Theres not really a problem with celibate monks and nuns. However I will say this it would be easier for some schools who practise Karma mudra as a method of tantra to allow for easy transition from one set of celibate ordained vows to the vows of a ngagkpa practitoner. In the west the distinction needs to be made any Lama encouraging students to part of orgies or sexual relations with them to hasten their enlightenment is abusing such for their own benefit, One should be a skilled practitoner for many years maintaining perfect morale discipline and gaining deep inner experience of Tantra before any lama decides one is ready for Karmamudra with an equally qualified partner...Besides there are methods of Higher yoga tantra that dont require Karmamudra at all consider the example of Je tsongkhapa whom still attained Buddhahood practising tantra even though he never took a consort, Tantra doesnt have to be physical it is a mental training after all, Its wise to check into what type of tantra is being taught.
  • Religious service (monkhood, priesthood) is indeed a calling. Celibacy is a discipline in the same way as keeping any of the vows involves discipline. Many people in Asian traditions become monks for the wrong reasons, aren't suited for the monastic life, and problems result.
    Hence good Buddhist organisations will only accept people who are ready.
    This is my view. Would introducing a selection process and other reforms, such as eliminating child monastics, eliminate some of the abuse problems in Buddhism?

Is marriage an "impediment to religious service"? Some Zen and Tibetan traditions don't see it that way. They don't see marriage as an impediment to reaching enlightenment, either. Nor did the Buddha, if it's true that some of his householder followers reached enlightenment. Or did he?

I think there's a place for celibacy in any religion, but requiring it for large numbers of people tends to cause problems and to make a travesty of the tradition if monks are sneaking around to break the rules.

• ThaoThao Veteran
    There is no problem with celibacy, Caz? I think you should read the book, Lust for Enlightenment. The author talks about how Soto Zen monks were allowed to marry, finally, because they couldn't remain celibate. Very few can, even as Jack Kornfield noted in his book, A Path With Heart. Then there is another new book out titled, Sex and the Spiritual Teacher.

I think all teachers should be allowed to marry if celibacy is an issue for them. This would include monks and nuns as well. What they found in Japan is that monks were sleeping with monks. In China the character for hemorrhoids is "temple illness." --Lust for Enlightenment.

Also from this same book: "Most young men who keep themselves strictly chaste find themselves visited by sexual fantasies and torturing longings which are worse for them than occasional visits to the flower-houses..."
  • The discipline in the monasteries seems to be pretty loose, at least in Tibetan Buddhism and Zen. "Jumping the wall" at night isn't punished. A friend of mine who was in Rumtek, Sikkim, said that the monastery there, seat of the Karmapa, was surrounded by brothels. I fail to see the point in keeping up the pretence of celibacy. The pretence introduces dishonesty and corruption into monastics' lives.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    The monastic tradition is dead.
    We need forms of organized lay practice instead.

Celibacy is okay.
    Having a mature and healthy sexual relationship is fine too.
    In modern times we can have such a relationship and not have twelve children as a result of it.
    Having twelve children is an obstacle in practice – I think.

• jlljll Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Let's consider this.
    Why does a person want to become a monk?
    Because he wants to devote himself to the goal of nibbana.
    None of the people I know want to become a monk.
    "why would a person in his right mind want to become a monk?'
    my friend asked.
    we live in affluent societies where we can choose to be
    anything we want to be.
    So, if i choose to become a monk, i will be celibate.
    if i want to have sex, i wont become a monk.
    if i become a monk and decides that i want to have sex.
    i will disrobe and then have sex.
    in the old days and in poor countries, people become
    monks to escape poverty, etc. not all of them, of course.
    that is why they still want to have sex.
    a study of the sex scandal in the catholic church found
    that the offending priests were sexual predators
    who entered priesthood with the agenda to sexually abuse
    boys.
    No problem with celebacy...So long as they are celebate :)
  • I only have very vague and general knowledge on these subjects, so I can't speak with any great authority.

However, it is my impression that the general quality of Catholic monasticism has in some respects improved since the cessation of child monasticism or forced monastic vows. In the medieval period, many monastic orders had a reputation for unseriousness and corruption, which often prompted break away orders composed of serious, voluntary monks (I.E, the Carthusians, who were both revered and despised for their extreme dedication).

I have had almost no contact with Buddhist monasticism, but I do get the impression that it is harmed by a lack of 'quality control' in terms of recruitment. I suspect that there would be no need to change policies regarding celibacy if monastic institutions were much more picky about their membership. Regarding child monasticism... On one hand, I like to think that there are aspects of monastic life which are probably very good for a young child's development, but it seems to me that graduation to full monk-hood should not be a given.

One problem I can see with shifting Buddhist monasticism to a voluntary-only policy is that the tradition might shrink to the point of irrelevance. While I mentioned that I think that Catholic monasticism has been improved qualitatively by the cessation of forced monasticism, it has certainly diminished quantitatively. This might not be such a big deal for Catholics since the Church is still wealthy enough to support the monastic life in those instances where monasteries are not totally self-sufficient. But Tibetan Buddhism seems like it is already in such a fragile state that a drastic decrease in the number of active monks could constitute a death blow.
  • So again, the problem are really due to people joining the monastry for the wrong reasons. Modern temptations are more common and stronger than ever. People have lesser karmic root to practice.

So the problem really doesn't lie with celebacy and monastic rules. THe problem lies with people these are more prone to their own greedy desires. So changing the rules just because people are more defiled will just cause BUddhism to be more diluted and less effective. Especially when it comes to reducing Monastic discipline.

Federica, either one of you modes or someone must have hacked my account, because every time I post, comments like "ladies and gentlemen" etc and "Indubitably" automatically gets attached to my message without my consent.
    Perhapes you homeboys need to sort ya sheet out first know wat im sayin?
  • Let's consider this.
    None of the people I know want to become a monk.
    "why would a person in his right mind want to become a monk?'
    my friend asked.
    we live in affluent societies where we can choose to be
    anything we want to be.
    So, if i choose to become a monk, i will be celibate.
    if i want to have sex, i wont become a monk.
    if i become a monk and decides that i want to have sex.
    i will disrobe and then have sex.
    a study of the sex scandal in the catholic church found
    that the offending priests were sexual predators
    who entered priesthood with the agenda to sexually abuse
    boys.
    I was raised Mormon and I can tell you that many people are encouraged to focus on religion as a means to control their urges. This doesn't address the problem and only puts them in a place to fail. For instance I know many gay mormons that went on a mission (missionary work) to help them work on their homosexual feelings. Many failed and had sex while on the mission and were subsequently sent home. Some made it through and then dropped the faith when they returned two years later. The worst is when they return, marry, have kids, and then when they are 50 decide to cheat on their wife or sleep with underaged kids. From a sexual/mental perspective they probably are 16 years old, but they never gave themselves a chance to learn those things about themselves when they were actually that young. Not only do they disrupt their own life, but they cause a lot of pain and suffering for their family. They need to be true to themselves, but cheating, lying, etc isn't the way.

If our society encouraged honesty, we wouldn't have as many of these celibacy issues. Instead we feel shame and hide things. This is why compassion is so important.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Great posts, everyone! :)@Jll Just to clarify: I realize that Westerners do join Buddhist monasteries, and usually give their decision much thought before acting on it. I wouldn't want to discourage those devoted people, including a few among our membership, from committing to monastic life. Rather, I'm examining the phenomenon of monasticism in Asia, where the reasons that people enter the monkhood are many and varied (children given to monastery and held against their will, prestige, escape from poverty,social duty to spend a period in young adulthood as a monk (Thailand), etc.), and the results quite mixed and sometimes problematic.

Jll, what study was that, that concluded many sexual predators had entered the priesthood due to easy access to children? The study performed by the Catholic church itself concluded that the loose mores of the 1960's were to blame. :wtf: But I came across this quote online from the book: "The Sociopath Next Door"; the #1 career choice of pedophiles is religious leader. #2 choice is law enforcement.
    I don't think this applies to Buddhism, but it likely hasn't been studied.
    edited August 2011
    Let's consider this.

Many view Nibbana superstitiously

Also, many enjoy sex but view Nibbana is something better than sex

For example, I recently watched a video of a European man who decided to become a monk but said he would miss his girlfriend & sex

Monks come & go. Generally, the strong lasting monks lost interest in sex prior to ordaining

They ordained because they were dissatisfied with worldly life

They were not looking for something "better" than worldly life. Instead, they were searching for something that could bring happiness because they saw no happiness in worldly life

Regards :)

• jlljll Veteran
    It was on a bbc documentary when the scandal broke. 'panorama' if memory
    serves me right. "many sexual predators had entered the priesthood due to easy access to children?"-not many but a few cases. they mentioned that very
    few people wanted to become priests, so the standard became lax.
    Great posts, everyone! :)@Jll Just to clarify: I realize that Westerners do join Buddhist monasteries, and usually give their decision much thought before acting on it. I wouldn't want to discourage those devoted people, including a few among our membership, from committing to monastic life. Rather, I'm examining the phenomenon of monasticism in Asia, where the reasons that people enter the monkhood are many and varied (children given to monastery and held against their will, prestige, escape from poverty,social duty to spend a period in young adulthood as a monk (Thailand), etc.), and the results quite mixed and sometimes problematic.

Jll, what study was that, that concluded many sexual predators had entered the priesthood due to easy access to children? The study performed by the Catholic church itself concluded that the loose mores of the 1960's were to blame. :wtf: But I came across this quote online from the book: "The Sociopath Next Door"; the #1 career choice of pedophiles is religious leader. #2 choice is law enforcement.
    I don't think this applies to Buddhism, but it likely hasn't been studied.
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    The problem is not the people who join the monasteries but the rules themselves. How can you control the winds? You can't, which is why celibacy doesn't work for most people unless they have a very low libido. Monks are given soy products to help with this, but anyone who has taken soy products will know that they don't do much, outside of now given you thyroid problems, which may in turn make you too tired to even be interested in sex.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Somewhere I read recently that the sexual energy can be sublimated and channeled into spiritual energy, and that this works well for some monks and priests, but not for most.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    What an awesome thread!
    Thanks everyone!
  • There are some devoted individuals who are able to keep to the discipline. I think the monastic life should be freely chosen (children shouldn't be allowed to join monasteries or nunneries) and the monastic population should be limited to those who see monkhood/nunhood as a calling.
    Celibacy does not require "discipline". Monkhood is not a "calling".

Celibate people are celibate because nature (or 'God') made them that way.

that's Asexual not celibate.

Celibacy is Dogma.

There Is No Place For Dogma In The Dharma.
  • If an adult chooses to join a monastery then they choose to give up sex as a way of freeing themselves from attachment. Children on the other hand should be allowed to be brought up in monasteries (I was lead to believe it is a better life than the regular orphan/abandoned child gets) and then given encouragement to experience the outside world as teens and decide upon whether to stay or not.
    edited August 2011
    that's Asexual not celibate.

Celibacy is Dogma.

There Is No Place For Non-Sense In The Dharma :mullet:

Non-Returners and Arahants are Celibate :om:
    Celibacy refers to a state of being unmarried or a state of abstinence from sexual intercourse or the abstention by vow from marriage.

The English word celibacy derives from the Latin caelebs, meaning "unmarried". This word derives from two Proto-Indo-European stems, kaiwelo- "alone" and lib(h)s- "living".

• Celibacy is Dogma.

This is also dogma. Anytime you organize ideas into a self-referential whole and derive logical normative statements from them, it is dogma. You just did it.
  • great point bhoga.

BUddhism is dogma.

dogma-an official system of principles or tenets concerning faith, morals, behavior, etc., as of a church. Synonyms: doctrine, teachings, set of beliefs, philosophy.

Celibacy is Dogma.

This is also dogma. Anytime you organize ideas into a self-referential whole and derive logical normative statements from them, it is dogma. You just did it.
  • Does looking at rapist and peadophiles makes one's own sex addiction more noble?

• Does looking at rapist and peadophiles makes one's own sex addiction more noble?

Sorry, old chap, I didn't quite understand the relationship between what I said and this question. Care for a nifter of brandy?
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    I have been reading, The Struggle for Modern Tibet by a man who was a boy in the dance troupe of the Dalai Lama. Soon after he chosen to be a lover of one of the official monks. He said they get around the issue of celibacy by not penetrating orifices. He had a wonderful monk for a lover, but he was often sought out by other official monks and raped by them, which infuriated his lover, but nothing was be done about it. But this is how they solved the problem in Tibet so that the precepts would not be broken. He also tried running away a few times but was beaten, but not by his kind lover.
  • rapists should have one of their gonads replaced by a sphere of silicon... with anesthesia. (note: if equality is what most are after... then, it is not even in discussion; women can rape).
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited August 2011
    I just learned that celibacy was not part of the priesthood in the early Catholic Church. I'm told that some researchers say it was instituted in order to protect church property from legal claims by widows ( on behalf of a child fathered by a priest). The justification offered the parishioners may have had to do with dogma relating to sin, but the ulterior motive was otherwise.

@Thao Even the mutual masturbation technique that evolved in Tibetan monasteries is against the Vinaya. But they say it's a lesser downfall than penetration of any sort, so it's a common practice that's tolerated by monastic authorities. But child molestation, not to mention outright child rape, would not only break sexual prohibitions, it would break the "do no harm" principle on which the precepts are based. Certainly, overpowering and abusing children, normalizing abuse in the monastic context, would desensitize monks to suffering, rather than foster the development of compassion. What an upside-down environment!
  • I just learned that celibacy was not part of the priesthood in the early Catholic Church. I'm told that some researchers say it was instituted in order to protect church property from legal claims by widows ( on behalf of a child fathered by a priest). The justification offered the parishioners may have had to do with dogma relating to sin, but the ulterior motive was otherwise.

@Thao Even the mutual masturbation technique that evolved in Tibetan monasteries is against the Vinaya. But they say it's a lesser downfall than penetration of any sort, so it's a common practice that's tolerated by monastic authorities. But child molestation, not to mention outright child rape, would not only break sexual prohibitions, it would break the "do no harm" principle on which the precepts are based. Certainly, overpowering and abusing children, normalizing abuse in the monastic context, would desensitize monks to suffering, rather than foster the development of compassion. What an upside-down environment!
    Yeah, the celibacy issue in the Catholic Church is seen as an issue of human-derived law, and is thus subject to possible change.

Out of curiosity, how common is child abuse in the Tibetan monastic environment? I've heard mention of it a number of times, now, but never with reference to any body of evidence. Not expressing skepticism here, just a desire to get acquainted with the facts and a sense of the scale on which this occurs.
    Everyone is an individual and what lacks here is evidence. I dont think there is an accurate scale monastic discipline is very strict seeing the disciplinarian aint fun :)
  • an anagami or buddha doesn't need, care or memorize the vinaya.
    edited August 2011
    rapists should have one of their gonads replaced by a sphere of silicon... with anesthesia. (note: if equality is what most are after... then, it is not even in discussion; women can rape).
    an anagami or buddha does not get involved in worldliness

an anagami is a non-returner, never returning to the world

have we ever read that the Buddha, like Moses or Mohamed (PBUH), prescribed punishments?

:rant:
    Even as a mother protects with her life
    Her child, her only child,
    So with a boundless heart
    Should one cherish all living beings;
    Radiating kindness over the entire world:
    Spreading upwards to the skies,
    And downwards to the depths;
    Outwards and unbounded,
    Freed from hatred and ill-will.
    Whether standing or walking, seated or lying down
    Free from drowsiness,
    One should sustain this recollection.
    This is said to be the sublime abiding.
    By not holding to fixed views,
    The pure-hearted one, having clarity of vision,
    Being freed from all sense desires,
    Is not born again into this world.

Karaniya Metta Sutta :)
  • It always amazes me how people want to change the rules
    to fit their own preferences. It is a form of attachment.
    If you want to play soccer, you dont start arguing with the referee
    that you should be allowed to use your hands.
    If you want to be a buddhist monk or catholic priest, why do you still
    want to have sex?
    Why is sex so important?
    Sex is a sensual pleasure, it does not lead to liberation.
    If you cant give up sex, do you think you can free yourself
    from other attachments?
    The point you need to understand is that this is really about renunciation and its nature. Few priests or monks or nuns have real renunciation. If they had it there would be no urge to have sex. Let me try to explain.

When a young child becomes fascinated with dolls or toy soldiers there's nothing you can do to make them voluntarily give up that activity long term. You can bribe them short term with ice cream or a visit to the zoo or something; when that event is over they will still have desire, craving for and attachment to dolls or soldiers.

At some point, however, almost all of us go through a transition wherein these things that seemed to be essential for our happiness are no longer desirable; it's a natural process; the kid who played with dolls starts reading Harry Potter books and stops playing with dolls. It's not a type of deprivation; it's that something more meaningful has replaced that which used to be meaningful.

In that way monks who are truly energized and excited by practicing the dharma, if they make progress in their practice (and I think that's really a key here) and have realizations (which are, in and themselves extremely blissful, as is a stable meditation practice) will naturally value their practice higher than mundane samsaric activities.

I used to watch baseball games on tv religiously; I couldn't imagine not being able to watch these games. A few years ago I gave up my cable service, effectively making my TV useless. I no longer follow sports online or in print, except for an occasional perusal of the headlines to see if anything interesting has happened. So that's real renunciation.

It's NOT the practice of restraining yourself from something you really want. It's what happens when, after contemplating what samsara brings deeply day and night, you achieve the realization that the answer is---suffering and more suffering; and you decide to (as Pabongka Rinpoche put it) "give up on this life" meaning, not to stop enjoying food, friends, books, etc. but rather to stop trying to acquire happiness through them; to realize that NOTHING in samsaric existence brings more than brief pleasure. When you see sex the same way and you see how meditation is superior in its difference (it can bring lasting pleasure/happiness/non-suffering) you naturally want to meditate. Have many Buddhist monks reached that state....probably not; but should there be a place for them to practice where they can support each other in that endeavor? I think so and so did the Buddha!

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited August 2011
    @bhogakapala Public Television in the US did a report on sexual abuse of child novices in Tibetan monasteries back in the late 1990's, and there's a report by a lama in the Tibetan tradition at:
    http://lamashree.org/dalailama_08_childabuse_tibetanbuddhistmonasteries.htm

This is a problem in any environment where children are housed with celibate adults. From time to time there are lawsuits by boy novices in Taiwan and Sri Lanka against monks or abbots, but the charge is always "molestation". I don't know if that means that the treatment in Tibetan monasteries is worse, or if in the other two countries rape is subsumed in "molestation". There was sexual abuse of children in the church-operated Native American boarding schools in Canada and the US, back when the government delegated to the churches its reponsibility to provide a free education to indigenous children.
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    According to Tashi Tsering in his autobiography, it was common for official monks to take male children for lovers. they got them from the dance troupe that he was in and then there were the dobdo monks, and "all schoolboys in Lhasa were fair game for these dobdos, and most tried to return from school in groups for protection against them." And then, "other monks were also attracted to me, and for a period of time I was in almost constant danger of being kidnapped. On seeral other occasions these attempts were successful." So I would say it was common.
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    Now these "official monks" are more than likely not the lamas, and the dobdo monks certainly are not, but they are in the system. But when Tashi talks about getting around celibacy he is talking in general, i.e. all monks.

For example, the dobdo monks were the warrior monks who were aggressive. But when the Chinese invaded and wanted to make changes it was the land owners and lamas who took up arms, and in turn monasteries were burned down and many people were killed.

It was either in this book or another where I read that children fathered by the lamas were sometimes given back to the monasteries.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited August 2011
    That's interesting testimony, Thao. It shows that the sexual abuse extended to children outside the monastery as well as those living in the monastery. If children were in danger of being kidnapped on their way home from school, I wonder why one of their parents or another older relative didn't make a point of walking the kids home from school. Among all the parents in the group, uncles, etc. one would think there might be someone available to escort the kids home, but maybe all the adults were busy with work.
  • I believe most or all Japanese sects no longer require celibacy.
    This began with Shinran, the founder of Jodo Shinshu.
    Shinran became a Tendai monk at an early age, and ultimately felt that he was no closer to enlightenment after 20 years, left Mount Hiei monastery, and became a follower in the exclusive Nembutsu practice of Honen Shonin.
    Now at this time, it was sort of an open secret that many monks were managing to "get a little action" shall we say, and Shinran felt this was hypocrisy, and there was no purpose in taking a vow if you intend to break it, or will spend much of your time wishing you could break it. On Honen's advise Shinran married and had a family. This of course fits very well with Jodo Shinshu's reliance on Tariki "other power" rather than any contrived effort of the ego "jiriki" for attaining enlightenment.
    In the Late 1800's Japan had an anti-Buddhist government who basically outlawed celibacy as a requirement in Buddhist monasteries. I doubt that this law is still on the books...I don't really know though, however I do not think most sects went back to requiring celibacy. As a result, sometimes when Buddhists of varying denominations get together in Asia, the Japanese "monks" are not considered to be monks at all by other sects.

Personally I think that the problem of sexual abuse is more tied to certain types of teacher-student relationships than it is to celibacy. You can find examples of this in Soto Zen for example, where there is no celibacy requirement.
    I mean any sect could have it occur (and I would be shocked if it has not occurred in every sect!). It could be consensual affairs that are questionable solely due to the position of the teacher, or it can be outright abuse. I think it is more about human nature than any particular rules.
    However where the importance of the teacher-student relationship is more emphasized, I think it creates a situation where it is much more likely that there could be sexual interaction. I'm not sure this occurs often enough to throw the baby out with the bath water though.

For myself, I think celibacy makes sense for most sects of Buddhism for the purpose of non-attachment, but it does not make sense for Jodo Shinshu.

edited August 2011
    buddhism does not need to promote celibacy

however, it needs to offer a vehicle of liberation for those who are celibate

religions such as Islam and Protestant Christianity strongly denounce celibacy

thus if you are a celibate person seeking another way of life, there must be examples of this in the world

Buddhism offers an example of the joy of no sex

as "Buddhists", we are "guests" of the Buddha in his celibate tradition

the Buddha was kind & compassionate enough to teach for both the celibate & non-celibate

• buddhism does not need to promote celibacy

however, it needs to offer a vehicle of liberation for those who are celibate
    I strongly agree with this. I can understand why one would want to address problems associated with a certain activity, simply by eliminating the activity, but I worry about the kind of world which would result from unchecked application of these sorts of solutions. It would be a world strangely dominated by the lowest common denominator of human behaviors, in the sense that the attempt to police these behaviors would lead to the loss of so many other avenues of human activity and freedom.

In the case of celibate monasticism, tantric practices involving actual sexual activity, the guru/student relationship.... These are areas of Buddhist practice which are clearly vulnerable to acute abuse, but at the same time, I believe they have merit. They may even be critical to the liberation of some practitioners.

There has got to be a way to preserve the practices while preserving the the unwitting or powerless from harm. In the case of child abuse in monastic environments, maybe the solution is simply to remove children from the environment. But then I start to wonder, should we also remove Physical Education from public schools, given the relative frequency of abuse of students by P.E instructors, sports coaches, etc?
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited August 2011
    I disagree with the premise of the original article, in that celibacy does not encourage pedophilia and the cases of sexual abuse by Priests are not, I repeat not, caused by celibacy. Being horney does not cause men to lose control of their actions and hurt other people. What causes sexual abuse by Priests is a culture where power and secrecy are held as virtues and the Priest has power over people. The rest is everyday self-centered desire and capacity for evil that everyone, married or not, getting laid regularly or not, has. If it was just lack of sex, a quiet visit to the bathroom to be alone with a tissue would solve the problem.

Yes, some schools of Zen allow married monks, especially in Japan, by government decree. What is ignored, is the unfortunate truth that Buddhism has been on the decline in Japan ever since then, and now the temples are often passed down from father to son and the people use them only for burial ceremonies and have little regard for the Buddhist Priests. So allowing marriage and family for monks who are supposed to be dedicated to the temple and Sangha creates a big conflict of interest.

The entire structure of the temple has to change, for the monks to enter a more full life. In the West, we're doing that. In Kwan Um, we've changed the temple focus so the mission is to teach and minister to the lay population, not a small closed group of monks. Monks are not required to move into some temple boarding room and be celebate; they can have families and home lives although their busy schedules mean that most choose to remain single. In other words, it's the familiar model of a church with a married Pastor.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Ah, we can always count on Cinorjer for the frank and truthful view! : ) I wholeheartedly agree that power and secrecy are prime culprits. However, I can't dismiss celibacy as irrelevant. The fact that married "clergy" in Zen and Tibetan Buddhism abuse their students is evidence of the fact that power and secrecy alone are one of the causes. But celibacy also plays a role. If "a quiet visit to the bathroom...would solve the problem", then our younger members who have occasionally started threads on the subject of "not getting any" wouldn't be climbing the walls. One could explain the child molestation as a crime of opportunity. But that doesn't explain the routine visits to brothels, and other circumventions of the celibacy vow.

The author of one of the articles I posted a link to agrees with you, Cinorjer. As a Catholic monk-turned-psychologist, he knows a thing or two about celibacy. But I'm not convinced. Perhaps your point is that celibacy doesn't cause people to commit crimes (except when power, secrecy and lack of accountability allow them to get away with it)? It may cause some to be miserable, but not to commit crimes? Well, ok, but that still doesn't address the hypocrisy of allowing monks to visit prostitutes. (Speaking of Zen and TB, again.) If people are sincerely called to devote their lives to spiritual study, but can't handle the celibacy, they should either be allowed a secular venue in which to pursue their interest (in an academic setting, for example), or be allowed to marry, IMO.

@Bhogakapala I think children should be removed from the residential monastic environment. This wouldn't necessarily preclude the opportunity for religious study, however. In old Tibet monks would come to the homes of those who could afford private instruction for their children. Alternatively, monasteries could offer weekend instruction, like Christian "Sunday schools". There would still be some risk involved in the latter case, but it would be lessened considerably. Interesting point about P.E. teachers and coaches, I wasn't aware of that problem. I think it goes back to the need for accountability structures. Sad world. :' (
  • I do go back and forth on the celibacy thing. On the one hand, celibacy isn't natural and there's nothing inherently bad about sex. Simply not having an orgasm doesn't stop someone from feeling the urge, either.

But on the other hand, I can't see where the harmony and sense of shared dedication in a temple could survive the dynamics of family and romantic relationships.

So beyond insisting that being a monk is a life only adults are allowed to chose, and not something forced upon children, I pretty much have to shug my shoulders.