Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I can't escape

TalismanTalisman Veteran
edited August 2011 in Buddhism Today
I feel like I have these goals for who and what I am trying to "become." Specifically, I imagine great thinkers and writers and poets and philosophers of whom I have learned and read, and I wish to live my life with the same sense of purpose, integrity, conviction, confidence, and vigor by which they seemed to have lived their own lives. I want to do away with the superfluous bullshit in my life, like my obsession with video games, and sex, and worrying what others think of me, and trying to impress others.

I feel like I have been putting some effort toward making change in myself, but I still haven't reached a point where it's like, "Today is it!" "Today, I am going to get up and nothing will be the same." "Today I am going to live my life the way it was meant to be lived!"

Instead its like there is this sense of hesitancy. Like I'm afraid to change too much out of fear of losing friends or being viewed as different or strange beacause I suddenly lose interest in what used to interest me. My girlfriend already says I change "all the time," and that she can't keep up with me. But, that's the way I think it should be. Constant evolution. No stagnation.

I'm just kind of word vomitting here. Anyone else ever feel this way?

Comments

• Anyone else ever feel this way?
    All the time. Just keep going

• You imagine these people you admire to be somehow perfect in some sense of the word. Trust me, no matter what sense of purpose they may appear to you to have had, no matter how much integrity, no matter how much conviction, confidence, or vigor, they all felt the same way you do at some point. They too had superfluous bullshit in their lives. Just different superfluous bullshit than yours :)

• I hear you @mountains
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Once having dipped the toe in Buddhist waters, it is difficult not to get wet. And the way forward seems littered with dreams of being something or someone else. Gonna get enlightened, gonna get serene, gonna get holy, gonna be compassionate, gonna stop worrying, etc. And, perhaps, lurking in the background, gonna wow the pants off everyone.

This is where meditation comes in handy. Not overnight and not by tomorrow morning, the experience that meditation provides through patient and courageous and constant application is that bit by bit the something-else's and the someone-else's recede. Who else could you possibly be? What else could you possibly be? Where else could you possibly be? How else could you possibly be? You're right -- you can't escape, but since you cannot escape, the need to escape dwindles with meditation practice.

Many people spend their whole lives pipe-dreaming about some lottery-sized shazzam (look out heaven, here I come!) and what they end up with is a mind blurred with dust. It's not necessary, but it is common enough.

Best wishes.

• good point @genkaku

I suppose what I'm really trying to explain is that I feel drawn to spend a lot of time hanging out with friends who like to party and smoke and gossip and whatnot, when I am losing interest in those things. I don't want anyone to feel like I look down upon them at all or that I don't enjoy their company or companionship, but it's difficult at times.

I get where you are coming from and I completely agree. Thanks for the response.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Strange to think how many people fear the loneliness of spiritual endeavor without bothering to recognize how lonely they already are.
  • And, perhaps, lurking in the background, gonna wow the pants off everyone.
    Awww... man. You mean I'm not gonna? :)
  • genkaku!!

_/\_

(allinone here)
  • Read Pema Chodron's book When Things Fall Apart. She talks about this feeling. Talisman, we never get all our ducks in a row thats what compassion is for. We let go of judgements and wake up to compassion. Its compassion and clear seeing that allows transformation.

The second comment you made if you recall my talking about the party I went to with everything drinking. Its the setting sun mentality that Trungpa Rinpoche talks about and we are waking up to the great eastern sun rather than living in the setting sun 'cacoon' world. Its falling apart on you (ego) and you are getting nervous. Smile.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I am in the same boat. Or at least I feel this way.
  • A miner tunnels while searching for gold. After years of digging he becomes lost. He digs up to the surface only to discover that he is a dandelion.

I often use the term "tunneling" in my own life to mean "nose to the grind stone". It is necessary to control your focus into the areas of thought leading your forward in your tunnel. When you come up for air, things are not as you left them, and you will find yourself reinvented.

If you've made your mind up about something, there isn't anything left but to do it. Doubts, fears, and disbelief in your own capabilities do nothing. They exist only to confuse a self who is already confused. Wanting is different from being. If you want without being, you are dead. If you be without wanting, you are saved.
  • I feel the exact same way, and I came to a realization in my own discussion, and here is part of it, that should make you feel better about your obsession to things.

"The concept of Buddhism is to follow one's own path, and the decisions that follow whether they be skillful or not, in the end, whether this is my final life or not, all actions continue on the path of Nirvana, so one could be enlightened while being unenlightened, the 5 precepts could be a guideline, if anything I view "Enlightenment" as an earthly view of Nirvana, and the 5 precepts are used as a guide to view it, if everything exists, and doesn't exist at the same time, then, we have all, already reached Nirvana, and in theory, whatever we do now, would only matter in the current moment, which is the only thing we are guaranteed, everyone is clouded and everyone is enlightened, we live, and yet, don't. Food for thought, Buddha once said,"Don't accept anything unless it completely agrees with you and your beliefs, even anything I say or do." (Paraphrased, but the general idea remains.) I appreciate and respect all of your ideas, views, and lifestyle choices, in fact, whether I walk away changed or not, the fact that we had this conversation, we have all gained knowledge, if nothing else, of each other's existence, and that, in the end has brought us closer together, and even further, to Nirvana, where we are all one."

Be at peace, brother.
  • As far as what you wish to "become", has been, and hasn't been decided yet, nothing is certain, I have dreams of being a famous speaker, such as Martin Luther King Jr., or someone who is "nobody", but I feel better knowing, that whatever happens, that we are all together, even those great people, they are a part of us as much as we are a part of them.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    The great irony of life is the more knowledgable you become, the less you feel you know.

When you feel like you're not getting anywhere, especially in your profession or even hobby, it's helpful to talk to a beginner and remember you used to be them.
  • An activity I do periodically is to run through my lists of everything I need to, and want to, spend time thinking about. The amount of time I expect to spend on it defines the size of the circle. I can easily compare these blueprints to determine what aspects of my life are balanced, or if something is growing in importance without allocating thought-resources to required topics.

When you find yourself thinking about something that has a small circle, stop. Refocus yourself on what you've planned your proportions of thought-time to be. Control yourself in the direction you wish to go.
  • My stages of meditation are to slowly put those circles away until there are no circles.
  • I like that advice lincoln. In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    The great irony of life is the more knowledgable you become, the less you feel you know.

When you feel like you're not getting anywhere, especially in your profession or even hobby, it's helpful to talk to a beginner and remember you used to be them.
    Yea, so true!
    Just been really understanding this!
    Working on detoxing information/knowledge!