Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Your favorite koan and why

edited August 2011 in Arts & Writings
Pretty self explanatory. What is your favorite koan and why?

I like 'Non Attatchment' by Muju (Japanese zen teacher) http://www.ashidakim.com/zenkoans/98non-attachment.html
because it shows that you shouldn't stop doing something great for fear of attatchment. Just live your life.

Comments

• http://www.ashidakim.com/zenkoans/91thetasteofbanzossword.html

The story of banzo the swordsmen. He let go of strivings to succeed and just faced every challenge in the moment.
  • Mine was one that I read about a man who was sick and stayed by a fire, but later, when he was cured, the heat was unbearable. I don't remember the rest. But if someone else could point me to it I'd greatly appreciate it!
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    My favourite is the one about the flag from the Mumonkan

http://www.ibiblio.org/zen/gateless-gate/29.html

It seems easy on the surface but understanding it is just out of my grasp...
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2011
    "Two hands clap and a sound is heard. What is the sound of one hand?"

I've heard answers like snapping fingers, fingers clapping against a palm, no sound, and the sound of wind moving (i.e. the hand pushing the wind).
    None of those are an acceptable answer of course. ;)
  • A monk asked Joshu, “What is the meaning of Bodhidharma’s coming from the west?”

Joshu said, “The oak tree in the courtyard.”

• "The sound of one hand clapping" is the favorite. It's bottomless, helps you get rid of so many delusions.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    "I love you."

It's simple, common, requires no spiritual training and, upon examination, will fry your circuits. :)
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    "The sound of one hand clapping" is the favorite. It's bottomless, helps you get rid of so many delusions.
    @Cloud also mentioned this, I have googled it and admit to being a bit lost! Can someone explain this? (sorry for my ignorance)

:banghead:

Dandelion
  • @dandelion

That's the point of koans. You have to figure it out yourself.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2011
    @Dandelion, Koans defy logic and reason. They force the mind to break down such barriers and reveal the truth directly. They aren't riddles that have a set answer; it's really the state of mind that penetrates the koan that is the goal, and a koan's answer will vary by individual.

(Also it might help to know the question is "the sound of one hand", not "the sound of one hand clapping".)

Koans rewire your brain. ;)
  • My favourite Koan that finally opened my eyes about life and zen was this:

''A girl is crossing the road. Is she the younger or the older sister?..''

After reading this Life and Zen finally made sense.
    @Dandelion, Koans defy logic and reason. They force the mind to break down such barriers and reveal the truth directly. They aren't riddles that have a set answer; it's really the state of mind that penetrates the koan that is the goal, and a koan's answer will vary by individual.

(Also it might help to know the question is "the sound of one hand", not "the sound of one hand clapping".)

Ahhhh-ha.

Well, my answer to the sound of one hand clapping (and the sound of one hand) is that there is no answer but it's fine to ask the question 'what is the sound of one hand clapping?'....

(I think I understand now, thankyou :) )

@Talisman what does the 'sound of one hand clapping' mean to you?

:) Dandelion
  • The sound of "one hand clapping" doesn't mean anything to me. Like cloud said, the statement is "the sound of one hand." ... Which also doesn't mean anything to me.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    "Two hands clap and there is a sound; what is the sound of one hand?" Perhaps, silence; the pure silence that permeates the universe?

Koans are a fun and interesting way to train the mind. But not an easy path.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited August 2011
    "The sound of one hand clapping" is the favorite. It's bottomless, helps you get rid of so many delusions.
    @Cloud also mentioned this, I have googled it and admit to being a bit lost! Can someone explain this? (sorry for my ignorance)

:banghead:

Dandelion

:clap: too bad this little guy does not make the clapping sound. :)
    A monk asked Joshu, “What is the meaning of Bodhidharma’s coming from the west?”

Joshu said, “The oak tree in the courtyard.”

I like this one :)

Not all koan answers vary, some have a very specific answer and that specific answer is what the teacher is looking for.

• Man Gong's Net is my favorite.
    http://www.buddhism.org/board/read.cgi?board=KwanumZen&y_number=329

The deeper I get into answering it and correcting my answer, the more expansive my understanding becomes of just how detached I have been from my true self.
  • What is the sound a rhinocerus makes when you give it a bath?
  • ZelkovaZelkova Explorer
    I'm not exactly sure if this is a koan but I always liked this Zen story.

During the civil wars in feudal Japan, an invading army would quickly sweep into a town and take control. In one particular village, everyone fled just before the army arrived - everyone except the Zen master.

Curious about this old fellow, the general went to the temple to see for himself what kind of man this master was. When he wasn't treated with the deference and submissiveness to which he was accustomed, the general burst into anger.

"You fool," he shouted as he reached for his sword, "don't you realize you are standing before a man who could run you through without blinking an eye!"

But despite the threat, the master seemed unmoved.

"And do you realize," the master replied calmly, "that you are standing before a man who can be run through without blinking an eye?"
  • @Zelkova that made me laugh. What an awesome story :)
  • @Dandelion, Koans defy logic and reason. They force the mind to break down such barriers and reveal the truth directly. They aren't riddles that have a set answer; it's really the state of mind that penetrates the koan that is the goal, and a koan's answer will vary by individual.

That is correct, the koan asks, "You know two hands coming together make a clapping sound. What is the sound of one hand?" not "one hand clapping"

So what is the sound of one hand?

It's very amazing that it takes the beginning student so long to answer this koan. Our minds go in circles, and we slap the floor and shout and treat the simple question like it's some sort of mystical doorway to an alternate reality.

There's only reality. It's not even a secret. You don't even have to guess. You have a hand! You have ears! Look at your hand. Listen to it. What sound is it making? It's that easy to answer. THAT is the secret to Zen. The only secret. Zen has nothing special to teach you but to look at the world with a clear mind.

So what is the sound of one hand? Hold out your hand. You have just made the sound of one hand. That is the answer to the koan. Do you understand? No? Then sit down and meditate some more on the sound of one hand.

• That is correct, the koan asks, "You know two hands coming together make a clapping sound. What is the sound of one hand?" not "one hand clapping"

It's very amazing that it takes the beginning student so long to answer this koan. Our minds go in circles, and we slap the floor and shout and treat the simple question like it's some sort of mystical doorway to an alternate reality.

There's only reality. It's not even a secret. You don't even have to guess. You have a hand! You have ears! Look at your hand. Listen to it. What sound is it making? It's that easy to answer. THAT is the secret to Zen. The only secret. Zen has nothing special to teach you but to look at the world with a clear mind.

So what is the sound of one hand? Hold out your hand. You have just made the sound of one hand. That is the answer to the koan. Do you understand? No? Then sit down and meditate some more on the sound of one hand.

Is that so?
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Man Gong's Net is my favorite.
    http://www.buddhism.org/board/read.cgi?board=KwanumZen&y_number=329

The deeper I get into answering it and correcting my answer, the more expansive my understanding becomes of just how detached I have been from my true self.
    That's a good one I hadn't heard before. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to c/p for those who didn't click through:
    The Eleventh Gate - Man Gong's Net

One day, Zen Master Man Gong sat on the high rostrum and gave the speech to mark the end of the three month winter retreat. "All winter long you monks practiced very hard. That's wonderful! As for me, I had nothing to do, so I made a net. This net is made out of a special cord. It is very strong and can catch all Buddhas, Patriarchs and human beings. It catches everything. How do you get out of this net? Some students shouted, "KATZ!" Others hit the floor or raised a fist. One said, "The sky is blue, the grass is green." Another said, "Already got out; how are you, great Zen Master?" From the back of the room a monk shouted, "Don't make net!" Many answers were given, but to each Man Gong only replied, "Aha! I've caught a BIG fish!" So, how do you get out of Man Gong's net?

---

This is a very famous kong-an. Zen Master Man Gong always taught his students not to make anything. If you practice strongly, don't make anything and don't want anything, then you can attain no hindrance. Then this kong-an is not a problem. But if you are thinking, if you still have I, my, me and checking mind, then you cannot get out of the net. This net is life and death and includes everything. Even if you are a Buddha, if you have thinking, you cannot escape the net.

Man Gong's net is an attack kong-an. "I caught a big fish" is a strong teaching style. It drops down a large (000 size) hook for you. If you touch this fishing hook ,you will have a big problem! It's just like a boxing match: hit, hit, hit... then you must defend yourself. So, how do you hit Man Gong's net? How do you take away Man Gong's idea? Man Gong's idea made the net. So, you must hit that.

Kong-an practicing is very important--it means, put it all down. In Zen, we say if the Buddha appears, kill the Buddha; if an eminent teacher appears, kill the teacher; if demons appear, kill them. Kill everything that appears in front of you. That means don't make anything. If you make something, then you have a hindrance. If you can completely put it all down, then you have no hindrance and your direction becomes clear. So, our practicing direction is to make our situation, function, and relationship in this world clear. Why do you eat every day? If that is clear, then our life is clear and we can help this world. Moment to moment our job is to do bodhisattva action and help all beings. Man Gong's net makes our direction and its function clear. Only help all beings. But that is just an explanation. Explanations can't help you! An answer is necessary.
    :)
  • Cijorner the koan isn't the sound of one hand. It is the sound of one hand clapping. So you could say it is like asking how long are a rabbits horns.
  • Does the "sound of one hand clapping" at all allude to dependent co-arising?
  • Cijorner the koan isn't the sound of one hand. It is the sound of one hand clapping. So you could say it is like asking how long are a rabbits horns.
    No, I'm sorry but if you do some digging around, you'll find the koan is only "sound of one hand". No "one hand clapping". That does make a difference.

Hakuin initiated koan study with a new student with a koan he created -- "what is the sound [or voice] of one hand?" Often incorrectly translated as "the sound of one hand clapping," Hakuin's "one hand," or sekishu, is probably the most famous Zen koan, the one people have heard of even if they have no idea what "Zen" or "koans" are.

And people in the West have also been fed misinformation about Koans being nonsense questions like the example you list, about rabbit horns. According to the conventional wisdom, koans don't have an answer or actually everyone gets to come up with their own answer. If your answer to "sound of one hand" is to cluck like a chicken, and if your clucking is from your deep understanding, then that's the right answer. If that were true, any nonsense string of words would be a koan, and that's just not true. "How far is down?" "Why is the moon made of green cheese?"

The problem is that when Japanese Zen was first introduced, the idea was somehow propagated that Enlightenment meant throwing away rational thought and conventional logic and suddenly "Wow, everything is One and words mean nothing, Man! I am the walrus!"

Koans actually have meaning and individual koans are designed to teach specific lessons. The trouble with saying everyone gets to find their own answer is, there is actually only one correct understanding. How you express it, is up to you. But the expression has to illustrate the same correct understanding.

What is the sound of one hand? The koan teaches a specific lesson to the student. It's a basic truth of Zen that helps the student. Cutting through all that expectation of finding some alternate reality is an important first step. Zen is seeing the situation with a clear mind. You have a hand. You have ears. What is the sound of one hand? Don't tell me. Show me. Why does your mind insist on making it any harder than it is?

That's Zen, and what koans do. They cut through your expectations and force you to simply be. Show me your hand. What sound is it making? That is the sound of one hand. It really is that simple. But even when you are told, your mind insists on ignoring the reality in favor of some idea of something else out there.

• @Cinorjer

What is your source for this info? There have been many proper lineage western teachers who utilize the word clapping in the koan, so forgive me if I take your explanation with a grain of salt.
  • Cjorner, I always thought the clapping was meaningful. I thought it meant that there was dependent origination because there couldn't be a clap with only a self entity. So I think a new koan was born in the west ;)
  • and yes, it is framed in the following way a lot:

"In clapping both hands a sound is heard: what is the sound of the one hand?"

By taking your explanation as is, it sounds like you are simply saying the koan is a semantic trick, a mere riddle. When framed in the above sense, "what is the sound of the one hand?" is still in the context of clapping. By oversimplifying the 'answer' to this question, you miss it's power. Sorry, but I have to disagree with your approach here.
  • A Cup of Tea

Nan-in, a Japanese master during the Meiji era (1868-1912), received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen.

Nan-in served tea. He poured his visitor's cup full, and then kept on pouring.

The professor watched the overflow until he no longer could restrain himself. "It is overfull. No more will go in!"

"Like this cup," Nan-in said, "you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?"

Reminds me that I need to keep an open heart and an open mind, without prejudice or judgement, and that there are true teachings in all things that are presented.
  • No, koans aren't semantic tricks. In fact, trying to say the words don't mean what they are supposed to mean is playing semantic tricks. The words convey a deep message but Zen is about clear mind, clear situation, clear understanding.

Add the clapping if you'd like, and the answer remains the same. The power of the koan's words is in the clear pointing to reality.

The problem with talking about koans is that the answer has to be shown, not told. Your mind, clap or not, insists on treating the question on the level of abstract words. You have to show the Master the sound of one hand, or one hand clapping, not tell him. So what do you show him? Your mind keeps running in circles, trying to find some hidden meaning to the koan. It's the same with life. Look at the sky, only blue. Stick your hand in the water, only wet. Now look at your hand. What sound does it make? Where does the sound exist?

No, not semantics. Clear mind and clear situation.
    edited August 2011
    Cijorner the koan isn't the sound of one hand. It is the sound of one hand clapping. So you could say it is like asking how long are a rabbits horns.
    No, I'm sorry but if you do some digging around, you'll find the koan is only "sound of one hand". No "one hand clapping". That does make a difference.

Dae Kwang Sunim asked me this question once and he said "what is the sound of 1 hand clapping"? :) Perhaps that is not historically correct according to Hakuin himself, but it really doesn't need to be if the teacher knows what he is doing IMO. :)

Zen Master Bon Haeng also told me a story once about how Seung Sahn dealt with people who just answer a question without addressing the specific issue presented in the koan. The "clucking chicken" example you gave. He said answers like that "are like taking a shit without wiping your ass" Therefore, not correct "you must wipe your ass!" :lol:
  • I'm not exactly sure if this is a koan but I always liked this Zen story.

During the civil wars in feudal Japan, an invading army would quickly sweep into a town and take control. In one particular village, everyone fled just before the army arrived - everyone except the Zen master.

Curious about this old fellow, the general went to the temple to see for himself what kind of man this master was. When he wasn't treated with the deference and submissiveness to which he was accustomed, the general burst into anger.

"You fool," he shouted as he reached for his sword, "don't you realize you are standing before a man who could run you through without blinking an eye!"

But despite the threat, the master seemed unmoved.

"And do you realize," the master replied calmly, "that you are standing before a man who can be run through without blinking an eye?"
    When I read that, I couldn't help but think: "ohhh diss!"

That is correct, the koan asks, "You know two hands coming together make a clapping sound. What is the sound of one hand?" not "one hand clapping"

Why is it amazing that it takes a beginner 'so long' to understand something that is new to them?

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2011
    I still am pretty postive the hand clapping is about dependent origination. Maybe there are different levels to the koan. It occurs to me that it would be hard to have a quite broad experience just from one teacher.
    I still am pretty postive the hand clapping is about dependent origination. Maybe there are different levels to the koan. It occurs to me that it would be hard to have a quite broad experience just from one teacher.
    That is the thing about koans. You will never know if you have the right answer unless you have a teacher to check it!
  • How do you know the teacher is right?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2011
    @Jeffrey, How do you think a teacher is judged competent to teach koans and know if a student understands correctly? They have themselves already understood all of the koans given them by their own teacher. That's part of why it's a tradition, because you always stem off from someone who knows. It's the same with any teachers; first they themselves learned, then mastered, and then were recognized for their mastery to pass it on to others.
  • Yeah in my sangha the teacher doesn't ask me questions. Its the other way around; I ask her.
  • edited August 2011
    For me the koan about "sound of one hand clapping", or "one hand", has been a bottomless koan. As people say here - it's about dependent origination, it's about a simple truth of no sound, it's about the sound of the universe and it's about many other things. The first realizations that this koan brought me were:
    What do you call sound? Aren't silence or sound just names? Isn't silence is defined only by word sound, and silence doesn't exists without a sound, where do you draw a line?
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    andyz said: "where do you draw a line?"

----

When you stop drawing lines, it's easier to go to the movies.
    edited August 2011
    For me the koan about "sound of one hand clapping", or "one hand", has been a bottomless koan. As people say here - it's about dependent origination, it's about a simple truth of no sound, it's about the sound of the universe and it's about many other things. The first realizations that this koan brought me were:
    What do you call sound? Aren't silence or sound just names? Isn't silence is defined only by word sound, and silence doesn't exists without a sound, where do you draw a line?
    It's impossible to know if that is correct or not unless you ask a teacher who is skilled in koan teaching. :)

• From one perspective its all just thinking in any case. It is like the traffic in a city. At first you pay attention to the sounds of the cars and buses go by. Eventually its all just chatter.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    Koan practice is an ineffective way of communicating a point.
    Like for instance the koan of “the sound of one hand “.
    I can lift my hand if that’s the question.
    A teacher shouldn’t play stupid games with students.

My take at koans is that they’re like empty sheets of paper.
    We can make drawings on them or fold them into a little airplane or leave them as they are.

Just sitting (shikantaza) or counting the breath may seem like not very challenging practices; so students can be given something to “achieve”. They can “work” with a koan; which is really just like playing with an empty sheet of paper.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Hahaha, I got a serious laugh out of that, @zenff! Seriously I laughed out loud like my 7 year-old nephew said something any adult would know is completely and utterly wrong. Thank you for that. :D

For those not in-the-know, koans are anything but ineffective or "playing games". They're not non-sensical paradoxes or gibberish like some people think, but are actually a means to make the mind break through its routine and see a specific truth of reality. That is, if koan practice is understood correctly and the koans are administered and tested by a Zen master (likely Rinzai, as Soto Zen doesn't use koans).

Some koans have the same meaning and lead the mind to the same place, but there are a variety of different types of koans to bring the mind to realizations about emptiness, selflessness and other aspects of reality directly. The koan is not just the question, but the very search for the answer, which forces the mind to change in a very unconventional way. That is the beauty of koan practice.

There can be multiple answers to a single koan, but it's the understanding and state of mind that the master looks for. If someone says "a frog in a pond" as an answer to a koan, but hasn't themselves penetrated the koan, the master can easily tell with further questioning and will dismiss the student until they do penetrate the koan. Too many look up answers to koans that are published on the 'net and take them to actually be the answer to the koan.

It is easy for people to get confused about koan practice. The remedy is to become a student under a recognized Zen master (and be wary especially in the West where the teachers can be anything but masters).
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    @Cloud
    I’m glad you had a good laugh.
    I was serious though.

Get over the “frog in the pond”.

;)
  • It's not a 'real' koan as such, but I love Terry Pratchett's take on them in Thief of Time (a must-read book for all Buddhists):

The disciple asks, essentially, what the difference is between an apparently nonsensical system of questions and answers that has the purpose of helping one to develop wisdom, and a load of old b****cks. And the master answers, "A fish!"

It still makes me giggle years after first reading it. And yet, on some level, it does actually make sense.
  • @zenff

Skikantaza is plenty challenging. I've heard the analogy that meditation is like putting a snake in a pole. You put your body into a pose while sitting in silence and just watch your snake of a mind attempt to writhe about. It's a claustrophobic experience, not giving your mind a thing to do, lol. But what comes out of the practice is a knowledge of the mind and an ability to relax in an attentive state. As the surface levels calm, you get to see the deeper, more profound movements of mind and eventually a glimpse of something even 'deeper'. So yeah, shikantaza may be simple in form, but it is plenty challenging.

In regard to koans, you give the mind a problem and let it throw everything it has at it. Problem is that the normal bag of tricks don't work. At some point, if you remain attentive enough, the mind will see that the nature of the whole question itself and be done with it. From there, the answers arrive.
    koans... just this
    Same thing! :)

• I think koans appeared as this new teaching tool after a lot of sutras were just memorized at the time and understood intellectually. In a sense, koans are dealing with the same subjects as sutras do, they just do it in a more "engaging" way. To pass a koan is to be intimate with it, something that is hard to do, by just memorizing a sutra. They're just a teaching tool anyway, and should be viewed as such. Just my 5c.