Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Religion

shanyinshanyin Novice YoginSault Ontario Veteran
edited August 2011 in General Banter
Do you think most people don't know what religion is?

I heard the Dalai Lama say that he thinks it is very important for a political leader to have religious faith...

But what about someone who's religion is just a set of bassically empty beliefs about events in history, things that may or may not exist, miracles? So far many politicians with these sort of religions seem to be lying, killing, being complete hypocrites.

Are some people just talking about different things

a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

I've been watching Richard Dawkins talking very much and he just said keep the religion out of politics...

I've read Buddha saying the phrase "preach my religion" don't remember the context.

What does religion mean to you? What is the Buddha's religion?

Just puttin that out there if someone can sort of pick up on my thought process right now. Probably not too logical but I'm bored. :P

Been up all night. :D

Edit, tried to sort of re-write this but failed. Hope it makes sense.

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    To my mind, the sticky wicket revolves centrally around the willingness/need/insistence on beliefs. All beliefs, which can give some a useful impetus to a beginning practice, center on something else ... some concept, some god, some new and improved way of being, some teacher ... something else. Buddhist practice, once the beliefs and concepts have settled down a bit, concerns itself with what is ... right now.

Note, for example, the Dalai Lama's oft-quoted remark, "My religion is kindness." Kindness is not something else. Kindness is what it is, right now. Others may praise or wish for it as if it were something else. Kindness doesn't complain about the baubles attributed to it. It just waits ... and then expresses itself.