Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What does it mean when a Lama slaps your face?

2»

Comments

• it means that the lama has unresolved trishna issues.
    Could you please tell us what "trishna" means? I tried to look it up, and only found references to a film by that name.
  • It means you need to stop grabbing his/her butt! Haha!

I think it all depends on what we are really talking about - light pat, slap, backhand, or a slap like my mom used to give me when I smarted off. If it was one of those, I would DEFINITELY be looking for a new lama. My personal mantra on this is

"Drop the lama who slaps like your mama."

Kwan Kev
  • Bodhisattvas training to liberate all sentient beings should learn to take a compassionate slap.

Unless the teacher is a fake and is only slapping your for the "lolz". Then find a new Sangha!
  • Hi TJ,
    This is not something the Buddha would do to teach any of his disciple. I would run away and never turn back if any of his disciple try to use this " technique" on me.
    I disagree. If the Buddha intuited that forceful action would result in someone's enlightenment why would he hesitate to do this? I'd beg for such a slap if it moved me one micron closer to the achievement of my spiritual goal..
    Can you provide just one example of the Buddha actually using force in the Pali Suttas?

Metta,

Guy
    I think this is from from Jataka basket so it concerns the Bodhisattva who became the Buddha, but it is presented as a skillful act under the circumstances.

In a previous life the Buddha he was the captain on a boat with 500 passengers. Because he had gained some of the siddhis by that point he was able to know what others were thinking. He therefore became aware that one of the other passengers planned to kill everyone aboard the boat and steal the cargo (and belongings of the passengers). He killed the would-be mass murderer before he could carry out his plan. The allowed him to avoid the heavy negative karma that would have been generated from such an act (it's far less severe when not completed).

Those beings who use violence to help another do so because they know the mind of the other being and they know that the particular action taken is a skillful means to enable that being to progress on the path. If they do it because it's part of their nature to be violent, then they are engaging in very harmful behavior, even worse if they profess to have some spiritual reason for doing it when they have no clue whether it will help or hurt. That's the very worst kind of teacher.

• it means that the lama has unresolved trishna issues.
    Could you please tell us what "trishna" means? I tried to look it up, and only found references to a film by that name.
    tanha, literal translation: thirst, most common translation: craving.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    Yes, I am sure he has trishna issues over my 235-pound 63-year old body!!!! Don't most men, after all?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2011
    I think he'd just mislaid his hitting stick. I forget its name, but it's an habitually-used Zen tool for hitting meditating monks on the back with to bring their concentration to the fore..

EDIT: It's called a 'keisaku'.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2011
    @Vincent, you're projecting...