Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

interplanetary reincarnation

edited August 2011 in Philosophy
I was curious as to why it is often assumed that one could only be reborn on earth. After all there are likely hundreds of millions of planets that are capable of supporting life (even if the life form in question is not immediately recognisable as such) in this galaxy alone and there are hundreds of trillions of Galaxies. Taking this into consideration, the odds of being reincarnated on earth are literally astronomical. Yet in the vast majority of cases where people claim to be able to recall past lives, it is always in the form of an earth being. Is this because as humans we are unable to comprehend any recollections of lives as beings so drastically different? As well, I am aware of the concept of other "realms" and do realize that they could be interpreted as other planetary bodies. However, people generally only seem to recall being an organism on earth, which brings up the question of whether beings are drawn to certain planets and are fated to be reincarnated there until attaining enlightenment.

So any ideas?

MOD EDIT: Moved to Advanced Ideas

Comments

• This is a very good point. I'm not sold on the idea of reincarnation yet
  • I think it all depends on how literally one understands reincarnation.
  • There is no reincarnation.

There is Birth

Birth takes place in many worlds.

Time and place are concepts created by the mind, and the fruits of one's actions actions are unhindered by either. The effects are karma are universal. Becoming will lead to birth in a time and place that is determined by the skillfulness/unskillfulness of prior actions.

There is no "re"-birth. There is "birth." There is no "you" or "I" or "me" reborn.
  • disregard my previous post ... it goes against a recent vow to myself to discuss anythign regarding rebirth on this site

PRETEND IT DIDNT HAPPEN!!!
  • haha! OK, it didn't happen, Tal. ^_^

to the OP: I've read that rebirths can happen intergalactically, but I'm not sure where I read that--not sure if it was from a Tibetan source, or a bit of New Age fancy. But if they can occur in different realms (hell realms, god realms, etc.), why not on other planets? Very good question, though, about past life memories being limited to Earth-based lives. It's hard enough for people to accept the idea of rebirth/reincarnation. Imagine the reaction if there were people going around saying they remembered a past life on a planet in another galaxy! : 0
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited August 2011
    'The Buddhist cosmology (or universe) is distinctly different from that of other religions which usually recognise only this solar system (Earth) as the centre of the Universe and the only planet with living beings. The Buddhist viewpoint of a Buddha world (also known as Three Thousand-Fold World System) is that of one billion solar systems. Besides, the Mahayana Buddhist doctrines expound that there are other contemporary Buddha worlds like Amitabha's Pure Land and Bhaisajyaguru's world system.'

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/snapshot01.htm

'The Buddha described a 10,000 world systems, which was to say that there are literally an innumerable amount of solar systems. A world system was the description for a sun or star with several planets revolving around it. We now know that there are several solar systems through direct evidence with high powered space telescopes. Nearly one hundred planets have been identified in the known universe up to this point. The Buddha stated that "the infinite world spheres are incalculable" (KN, Buddhavamsa 1.64).'

http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?title=The_science_of_Buddhism

to the OP: I've read that rebirths can happen intergalactically, but I'm not sure where I read that--not sure if it was from a Tibetan source, or a bit of New Age fancy. But if they can occur in different realms (hell realms, god realms, etc.), why not on other planets? Very good question, though, about past life memories being limited to Earth-based lives. It's hard enough for people to accept the idea of rebirth/reincarnation. Imagine the reaction if there were people going around saying they remembered a past life on a planet in another galaxy! : 0
    Maybe thats where George Lucas got the Star Wars Characters from

:scratch:
  • Thank you for this, zid. Some people maintain that the Buddha didn't dabble in cosmology, that it was considered an "imponderable", or speculation. But clearly, he did.
  • I was curious as to why it is often assumed that one could only be reborn on earth
    Who assumes that? I sure never have. Infinite lifetimes on infinite worlds in infinite universes. Makes the debt ceiling debate look pretty insignificant, doesn't it? :)
  • I was curious as to why it is often assumed that one could only be reborn on earth
    Who assumes that? I sure never have. Infinite lifetimes on infinite worlds in infinite universes. Makes the debt ceiling debate look pretty insignificant, doesn't it? :)
    That's one way of putting politics in perspective! But I still don't want my future Social Security and Medicare cut back, and public services, federal college scholarship funds, etc. eliminated, infinite worlds or not. : s
  • However, people generally only seem to recall being an organism on earth, which brings up the question of whether beings are drawn to certain planets and are fated to be reincarnated there until attaining enlightenment.
    So any ideas?
    Generally, it is much more closer with one another in view of people attachment over earth and earth beings. For a toddler without being shown and brought to other country, they will not even know there is another "earth" existed over the other corner. As for fate, it is subjected to change, so there is reincarnation, and the good news of reincarnation is that life never end called eternity, until one is noble enough to appreciate four noble truth and be liberated from reincarnation.

• auraaura Veteran
    edited August 2011
    People gravitate together in time and place because they have the same karmic issues and need to experience those karmic issues from various standpoints in order to gain perspective and release of those karmic issues. It would not make sense to be bound to a certain karmic issue and experience rebirth a planet away from that karmic issue.
    However, with that said, I have met a very few individuals who do appear to have issues/karma and history that is not from what we recognize as our world, and they are really quite rational, sober, extraordinary.... and vaguely lonely in a very difficult to define and nagging spiritual manner here on this earth.

• People gravitate together in time and place because they have the same karmic issues and need to experience those karmic issues from various standpoints in order to gain perspective and release of those karmic issues. It would not make sense to be bound to a certain karmic issue and experience rebirth a planet away from that karmic issue.
    However, with that said, I have met a very few individuals who do appear to have issues/karma and history that is not from what we recognize as our world, and they are really quite rational, sober, extraordinary.... and vaguely lonely in a very difficult to define and nagging spiritual manner here on this earth.

Exactly :thumbsup:
    However, people generally only seem to recall being an organism on earth, which brings up the question of whether beings are drawn to certain planets and are fated to be reincarnated there until attaining enlightenment.
    So any ideas?
    Generally, in a lighter note, it is much more closer to bridge with one another in view of people attachment over earth and earth beings. For a toddler without being shown and brought to other country, they will not even know there is another "earth" existed over the other corner. As for fate, it is subjected to change, so there is reincarnation, and the good news of reincarnation is that life never end called eternity, until one is noble enough to appreciate four noble truth and be liberated from reincarnation. The concept of realm can and cannot be interpreted as interplanetary. Some can be seen, while some are not as human eyes is limited in its capability - human can't even see x-ray. I do not think that you find your love seeable. :p
  • natureofreality: "Yet in the vast majority of cases where people claim to be able to recall past lives, it is always in the form of an earth being. Is this because as humans we are unable to comprehend any recollections of lives as beings so drastically different?"

It's probably more due to the limited imagination of humans when making stuff up...

• DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Mathematically, it's a good point.

Consider the number of sentient beings on Earth. Over time, this number fluctuates hugely, so there simply cannot be a 1:1 correlation of rebirths on Earth. This leads one to speculate on interplanetary rebirth as a way of 'balancing' the equation. However, this is also an ultimately fruitless exercise - because what are the chances that the number of sentient beings in the entire universe is constant? Next to zilch. Which begs the question - in cases where the total number of sentient beings decreases rapidly (imagine a large meteor hitting a life-sustaining planet), where do all the those 'extra' sentient beings go?
  • edited August 2011
    Thank you Daozen, you beat me to it. We might also wonder what happens to cherished notions of free will, for in order for the number of sentient beings in the universe to be constant, either all deaths or all births or both must be determined beforehand so that they coincide?
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited August 2011
    @Prometheus

My point exactly. The thing is, this is true of the universe as a whole too (eg if a planet is swallowed by an expanding sun, we can assume there isn't a magical burst of new births of exactly equal number on another planet), so all in all, it's hard to see how the numbers add up.

Hmmm.
  • // 'read only the OP
    I was curious as to why it is often assumed that one could only be reborn on earth. After all there are likely hundreds of millions of planets that are capable of supporting life (even if the life form in question is not immediately recognisable as such) in this galaxy alone and there are hundreds of trillions of Galaxies. Taking this into consideration, the odds of being reincarnated on earth are literally astronomical. Yet in the vast majority of cases where people claim to be able to recall past lives, it is always in the form of an earth being. Is this because as humans we are unable to comprehend any recollections of lives as beings so drastically different? As well, I am aware of the concept of other "realms" and do realize that they could be interpreted as other planetary bodies. However, people generally only seem to recall being an organism on earth, which brings up the question of whether beings are drawn to certain planets and are fated to be reincarnated there until attaining enlightenment.

So any ideas?

my prior life was in Devanamanarati, known in this earth as Pleadi star cluster.
    the specific star (a habitable planet in that star) is Pleione.

the life prior to that life, was in this earth; in Italia.

the life prior to that life, was in this earth; as a tree.

the lives prior to that lives are countles, and there was a decision on my part to partially forget those memories in my prior life.

there is no recollection of ever being an asura, but... in devanamanarati, there is the recollection of slaying asuras with Frænthir.

after my death, what could be termed a wife in this earth... decided to be reborn here... she doesn't remember enough. my allies/friends of devanamanarati, adviced me to be reborn in the country that 'am now; and not in Italia as was my wish.

in norse, rebirths of Devanamanarati (it is a more common skill there; to choose a rebirth) are basically visitors of Alfheim.

Buddhist Cosmology is an astral chart to chose rebirths and to interpret past life memories... for those with Dharma Chakkhu.

"One who knows and sees that these phenomena are this way is called a stream-enterer, steadfast, never again destined for states of woe, headed for self-awakening."
  • 'The Buddhist cosmology (or universe) is distinctly different from that of other religions which usually recognise only this solar system (Earth) as the centre of the Universe and the only planet with living beings. The Buddhist viewpoint of a Buddha world (also known as Three Thousand-Fold World System) is that of one billion solar systems. Besides, the Mahayana Buddhist doctrines expound that there are other contemporary Buddha worlds like Amitabha's Pure Land and Bhaisajyaguru's world system.'

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/snapshot01.htm

'The Buddha described a 10,000 world systems, which was to say that there are literally an innumerable amount of solar systems. A world system was the description for a sun or star with several planets revolving around it. We now know that there are several solar systems through direct evidence with high powered space telescopes. Nearly one hundred planets have been identified in the known universe up to this point. The Buddha stated that "the infinite world spheres are incalculable" (KN, Buddhavamsa 1.64).'

http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?title=The_science_of_Buddhism
    thanks.

"world spheres" are universes... as (fractal?) nodes
  • Thank you for this, zid. Some people maintain that the Buddha didn't dabble in cosmology, that it was considered an "imponderable", or speculation. But clearly, he did.
    "many æons of cosmic expansion, many æons of cosmic contraction" refers to both anapanasati and to a model of the universe that is superior to the childish big bang hypothesis.
  • It's already been pointed out that your premise is incorrect; you can be reborn anywhere at all that sustains sentient beings. Where you're born depends on a number of factors, according to classical abhidharma texts. The most important factors are your habit energies accumulated during this (and previous) lives and, in particular, your "projecting" karma at death. That is to say, the kind of mind that you bring to your last moments in this body have a disproportionate effect on where you end up. That's because the mind you carry forward to the "in between" period (BARDO in Tibetan) becomes a very powerful force when the opportunity to be reborn occurs (traditionally it's said to happen within 7 weeks after death). So, if you meditate on loving kindness in your last months of life and on the suffering that others are forced to go through when they are approaching death (since you can relate to that quote well by then), your chances of rebirth as a being capable of having compassion and love are higher than if you meditate on, say...wishing to destroy those who have harmed you.

As for where you are reborn, there's a simple formula for that---we tend to be drawn to similar situations; karmically we have experienced a whole range of births and probably have been born in many different areas of the universe (to the extent that it has true physical location); however we tend to be attracted to similar situations to what we're used to and, more specifically, to beings we have karma with. We tend to transmigrate together with those people, though the nature of our relationship with them undoubtedly undergoes vast changes from one life to the next. And why to I use the word "attraction" here; isn't there some being sending us on to our rebirth destination? Nope; you choose your rebirth; however the mind that makes that choice is one that's extremely sensitive to all the negative mental factors; it's a mind that exaggerates them 100 fold or so. If you have some slight resentment towards another you may experience perhaps a burning desire to harm them; if you prone to slight paranoia look out in the BARDO; it's filled with mind-created monsters, high cliffs, and accidents waiting to happen. It's of a similar nature to dream state.

It's very unlikely for any being to be born a human. That's what's important to know. It's said that the chances are the same this probability: Imagine a sea turtle, that swims around under the sea randomly and comes up for air once in a hundred years or so. Then imagine that you throw a life preserver, in the shape of a ring, with a whole in the middle in any of the oceans of the world. That chance that the turtle will emerge into the ring is the same as the chance that any sentient being will be reborn as a human. Now once born as a human, if one continues to create the same causes and conditions that resulted in that rebirth, it's likely that they will continue to be reborn as a human; however, that isn't the least bit certain, nor is place of birth.

• MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Trees are sentient? Not that whole debate again.... That means I can't eat a salad (or anything else) without incurring negative karma.
    edited August 2011
    Mathematically, it's a good point.

Consider the number of sentient beings on Earth. Over time, this number fluctuates hugely, so there simply cannot be a 1:1 correlation of rebirths on Earth. This leads one to speculate on interplanetary rebirth as a way of 'balancing' the equation. However, this is also an ultimately fruitless exercise - because what are the chances that the number of sentient beings in the entire universe is constant? Next to zilch. Which begs the question - in cases where the total number of sentient beings decreases rapidly (imagine a large meteor hitting a life-sustaining planet), where do all the those 'extra' sentient beings go?

Why did you think that it is zilch ? What makes you rule this out, when we know very little about the size of the universe (we only know about the observable universe) or if there is only one universe. Also do not forget not every sentient being goes to rebirth, some reach the end of the path and leave samsara.
    :scratch:
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited August 2011
    This discussion seems to be based firmly on the notion that there is someone or something that is transmigrating here and there, coming and going from place to place. While this idea goes against understanding of emptiness of form and of self, I find that this type of thread goes to the heart of of what Buddhism is for me. That is, it puts into relief the craving that I have to believe that I am a permanent feature of a real and fixed universe. While imagining that I have always and always will exist in one form or another is comfortable, it does not cut off suffering the way that realization of emptiness does however short lived that experience is.
    edited August 2011
    This discussion seems to be based firmly on the notion that there is someone or something that is transmigrating here and there, coming and going from place to place. While this idea goes against understanding of emptiness of form and of self, I find that this type of thread goes to the heart of of what Buddhism is for me. That is, it puts into relief the craving that I have to believe that I am a permanent feature of a real and fixed universe. While imagining that I have always and always will exist in one form or another is comfortable, it does not cut off suffering the way that realization of emptiness does however short lived that experience is.

I know what your saying robot, still if the concept of rebirth was not an vital part of Buddhist teachings, why did Buddha teach and talk about it so much ?
  • P

I know what your saying robot, still if the concept of rebirth was not an vital part of Buddhist teachings, why did Buddha teach and talk about it so much ?
    Probably for the same reasons that other world religions believe in things that aren't true. Information has been edited, exaggerated, filtered, and lost as it has been passed down through thousands of years. Reincarnation is about as likely as two people being the parents of the entire human species.
    edited August 2011
    P

Probably for the same reasons that other world religions believe in things that aren't true. Information has been edited, exaggerated, filtered, and lost as it has been passed down through thousands of years. Reincarnation is about as likely as two people being the parents of the entire human species.
    The Buddhists texts are littered with stories of Buddha teaching rebirth, if we are to doubt this, then should we not also doubt that Buddha taught kamma or emptiness, or dependent origination or are you just picking and choosing to believe in the things that your ok with (which would be fair enough), even though rebirth is a major part of Buddhist teachings in all Buddhist schools.

p.s I could also say that rebirth is as likely as it is unlikely, i.e know one knows for sure.

• Trees are sentient? Not that whole debate again.... That means I can't eat a salad (or anything else) without incurring negative karma.
    animals are sentient?
  • auraaura Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Trees are sentient? Not that whole debate again.... That means I can't eat a salad (or anything else) without incurring negative karma.
    It does not mean that at all.
    A "tree" is a naturally occurring physical form that metabolizes the energy of both heaven and earth in order to engage in and support a myriad of life and growth all around it. All human beings manifest pandimensionally rather like "trees," (not unlike that leafy thing in the back yard) with each growth ring representing a separate lifetime "self." The Buddha taught rebirth. He knew what he was talking about. It is observable reality. Everybody observes it eventually.
  • This discussion seems to be based firmly on the notion that there is someone or something that is transmigrating here and there, coming and going from place to place. While this idea goes against understanding of emptiness of form and of self, I find that this type of thread goes to the heart of of what Buddhism is for me. That is, it puts into relief the craving that I have to believe that I am a permanent feature of a real and fixed universe. While imagining that I have always and always will exist in one form or another is comfortable, it does not cut off suffering the way that realization of emptiness does however short lived that experience is.
    Mixing emptiness discussions with discussions about appearance aren't productive when discussing method. Method is necessary to achieve wisdom because wisdom, though it is the natural state of our mind (mind is nothing other than emptiness; it arises from it and therefore is primordially pure and stainless) does not appear to suffering beings; it is blocked by karma and kleshas. We're working 24/7 with faulty minds. The things we see and experience, the 3 sufferings, and, in particular the pervasive suffering that you refer to, is the result of just that.

The fact that those minds area totally empty of even the slightest existence from their own side, and that there is no path, no realization, no attainment, no Buddha---ultimately don't negate the necessity of following a path, gaining realization, attainment, and ultimately, Buddhahood, because all of the causes and conditions for the appearance of Buddhahood to manifest to a sentient being araise out of the cesspit...the shit...that is Samsara. Like the loutus arises out of the muck.

So, in the end we USE completely faulty minds, minds that see absolutely nothing in accord with reality, to penetrate and eviscerate them. The only difference between what a Buddha experiences and what we (those of you who are not already Buddhas) experience is that a Buddha makes no error; his mind is correct. Our cognition is erroneous all the time, even when we do virtuous things right up until we see emptiness directly. Since so much of what we do to get to that point relates to working with a totally erroneous mind, why point it out? Thinking only about emptiness gets you absolutely nowhere without cultivating a very stable and pliable mind filled with virtue, aspiring to achieve a result, vigilant, having a view of non-harm, practicing compassion and loving kindness, having little attachment to samsaric pleasure, having great patience, having equanimity, and making joyful effort towards the goal. Every one of these minds, from the standpoint of ultimacy, is an erroneous mind; yet they function to propel practitioners who achieve them to stainless enlightenment or nirvana (whatever their goal).
  • robotrobot Veteran
    Mixing emptiness discussions with discussions about appearance aren't productive when discussing method. Method is necessary to achieve wisdom because wisdom, though it is the natural state of our mind (mind is nothing other than emptiness; it arises from it and therefore is primordially pure and stainless) does not appear to suffering beings; it is blocked by karma and kleshas. We're working 24/7 with faulty minds. The things we see and experience, the 3 sufferings, and, in particular the pervasive suffering that you refer to, is the result of just that.

I don't think that this is a discussion about method. It seems to be a discussion about wild speculation about when and where rebirth might occur. It is the opposite of method, which in my view would include a practice of distinguishing truth from fantasy. Seeing what is in front of you and establishing whether or not it is a valid cognition.
  • almost 300 years of lifetime experience... Rebirth is a one concept Dharma.
  • This discussion is about rebirth. Rebirth is a topic the Buddha spoke about, alluded to, etc. So for the Buddha, at least, it was part of his method for establishing his disciples in the dharma. He encouraged them to think about their future lives in the context of the certain suffering it will bring if behaviors are unchecked, and the karma that produces these results. He taught the 12 links of dependent origination to contextualize the process of the gathering and ripening of karma in both this and the next life. Those disciples, who practice in order to avoid bad rebirths may be the lowest scope of Buddhists but they are, nevertheless Buddhist, so long as they take actual refuge in the Buddha to help them achieve a better rebirth (that is they actually believe the Buddha's teachings can help them to achieve it).

Not only that, in my lineage of practice, at least, we're taught that, even though our goal is gaining complete enlightenment for the benefit of all sentient beings, we MUST do what's called the "common" Buddhist practices (those shared by every type of Buddhist practitioner) such as those related to securing a better rebirth, in order to have the authentic experience of all the of possible scopes of all practitioners---because it forms a logical progression from one scope to the next. If you try to pretend you really are only thinking about enlightenment to help all beings at the beginning of your spiritual journey you're probably fooling yourself . So, the topic of rebirth IS a skillful means to bring about a mind which rejoices in virtue and gives up unskillful actions in order, initially, at least, to secure a nice spot in a God realm, perhaps, and then, later, is able to undertake the really hard work of achieving the most profound view, the view that you'd like to be discussing.

So rebirth is a valid topic related to means, and the person who posted this topic was engaging, or at least trying to engage in a valid dialog about it.

So, OK, some discussion here is speculative; it's good to disabuse people of silly notions or unsupportable ones. However emptiness is a completely different topic. That was my only point.

I love to engage on the topic of Emptiness. Please start a thread on it!
  • robotrobot Veteran
    @tjhampel, thank you. In my first post I said that this type of discussion hits home for me. As I said it exposes entrenched clinging to self. I have benefited from rebirth threads more than any other. For some reason the debate that these threads cause is seen as unsettling to some and they often get sunk or closed. What is there to be said about emptiness?
  • for someone that understands anatta... rebirth is a non-issue, and undeniable part of the Dharma.
  • Why did you think that it [the chances that the number of sentient beings in the entire universe is constant] is zilch?
    Pure probability. I said 'next to zilch'.

• Since there is no 'I', there won't be rebirth....
  • for someone that understands anatta... rebirth is a non-issue, and undeniable part of the Dharma.
    Since there is no 'I', there won't be rebirth....
    and no suffering, no production of suffering, and no one to suffer...but still hurts like hell

and so...the Buddha taught about suffering...

• Why did you think that it [the chances that the number of sentient beings in the entire universe is constant] is zilch?

Still don't know why you think it would be next to zilch, there could be a countless number of planets that could be out there that could have life. So it could be zilch but it is just as likely that it could also be 100% certain that the number of sentient beings that exist is constant.

Still don't know why you think it would be next to zilch, there could be a countless number of planets that could be out there that could have life. So it could be zilch but it is just as likely that it could also be 100% certain that the number of sentient beings that exist is constant.
    Well, just think about it. There are trillions of stars in the universe, and no doubt there are countless forms of life that have independently evolved out there. But these lives exists on planets that are physically separated by massive stretches of space. There is no physical connection. So what are the chances that, at the EXACT MOMENT a massive asteroid hits one planet, instantly killing millions of creatures, that the exact same number of lives are created throughout the rest of the univese - purely by coincidence? Answer: next to zilch. Hence, my assertion rebirth doesn't add up on a universal scale.

Of course you can simply believe that the number of lives is constant, and that consciousnesses are zipping all over the universe, defying the laws of physics and balancing the numbers perfectly. But that is blind faith, not rational thought. I leave it up to you to decide.
    Namaste
    edited August 2011
    Since there is no 'I', there won't be rebirth....
    This would only be true if you viewed life force/ life energy or whatever you want to call it as something which is independent from any other part of your being. It is of course not
    Why did you think that it [the chances that the number of sentient beings in the entire universe is constant] is zilch?
    Well, just think about it. There are trillions of stars in the universe, and no doubt there are countless forms of life that have independently evolved out there. But these lives exists on planets that are physically separated by massive stretches of space. There is no physical connection. So what are the chances that, at the EXACT MOMENT a massive asteroid hits one planet, instantly killing millions of creatures, that the exact same number of lives are created throughout the rest of the univese - purely by coincidence? Answer: next to zilch. Hence, my assertion rebirth doesn't add up on a universal scale.

Of course you can simply believe that the number of lives is constant, and that consciousnesses are zipping all over the universe, defying the laws of physics and balancing the numbers perfectly. But that is blind faith, not rational thought. I leave it up to you to decide.
    Namaste
    Your assuming that we know the laws of physics without any doubt. This is of course not true. Read the article below for an example of what we thought was the correct description but in fact it seems it may not be as we had thought.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14680570

I do not know and neither do you how the life force/energy would transmigrate from one body to the next. So in my opinion to say it is near zilich is ruling something out without any evidence or rational reasoning to do so, apart from arbitrary assumptions on your behalf. :)

• Your assuming that we know the laws of physics without any doubt. This is of course not true. Read the article below for an example of what we thought was the correct description but in fact it seems it may not be as we had thought.

I do not know and neither do you how the life force/energy would transmigrate from one body to the next. So in my opinion to say it is near zilich is ruling something out without any evidence or rational reasoning to do so, apart from arbitrary assumptions on your behalf. :)
    No. Not arbitrary assumptions. Science. Which is generally correct. (And when it is not correct, we only know this because of - guess what - more science! Not superstition.) Your logic is: just because we can't prove it's not true, then it must be true? This doesn't make sense to me, sorry.

• robotrobot Veteran
    Is it possible for an infinite number to be constant? Is infinite a number?
  • The math is easy- all sentient beings combined equal one, no matter how many there are.
    edited August 2011
    Your assuming that we know the laws of physics without any doubt. This is of course not true. Read the article below for an example of what we thought was the correct description but in fact it seems it may not be as we had thought.

No. Not arbitrary assumptions. Science. Which is generally correct. (And when it is not correct, we only know this because of - guess what - more science! Not superstition.) Your logic is: just because we can't prove it's not true, then it must be true? This doesn't make sense to me, sorry.

Who says that the laws of physics which are observed in our observable universe will be the same laws of physics in another part of the universe or in another universe ? What we observe in our little corner of the universe may not be the universal laws that are obeyed by each and every part of the universe / or universes. So our science that we observe may not be universal to each and every part of the universe/universes. There is a bigger picture to look at when talking about rebirth a picture that encompasses each and every part of the universe/universes not just the part we can observe directly.

I suggest you should read up on some of the major (and minor) cosmology theories and you will see that the full description of the universe may not be as straight forward as your trying to say.
    Here is a brief article to point you in the right direction.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/09/100909004112.htm

And by the way my logic is that you cant rule anything out until you have at least reasonable proof to disregard it. I don't believe there is such a proof for rebirth, unless you can provide it, and I don't mean your reasoning based on biased assumptions that you have chosen to support your view.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited August 2011
    My 'assumptions' are current science and maths.

Your assumptions are 'current science might be wrong, therefore they are wrong, and my unscientific belief is true'.
    edited August 2011
    My 'assumptions' are current science and maths.

Your assumptions are 'current science might be wrong, therefore they are wrong, and my unscientific belief is true'.
    Im not saying what is right or wrong. All I am saying is that there is not enough evidence/proof or understanding of the full workings of our full universe/universes to say with any certainty that your view of a near zilch chance of life being constant in the universe is backed up by science, which you claimed it to be. Your view is not backed up by science, it is backed up by your assumptions which are exactly that, assumptions, not real proof/evidence.

Now if your telling me that its your gut feeling, then fine no problem no one would argue with you, especially me as I have a gut feeling that rebirth is an integral part of the workings of our universe, but I do not have proof to back it up, only my own logical reasoning and faith.

I would however, concede that there is a big chance I may be wrong, However, I certainly would not say the chance of rebirth being correct or incorrect is zilch, especially when I have no proof/evidence to back that up, scientific or otherwise.

Basically our current understanding of the universe is in its infancy, and in my opinion its a bit early to be completely ruling out concepts such as this when we do not know the full facts, and its definitely a waste of time saying science or statistics goes against the concept of rebirth or a constant number of sentient beings as

1:We can only speak for the observable universe in which we live not the full massive expanse of our universe/universes- rebirth if it is real may extend to each and every part of the full universe/universes.

2:Statistics is a waste of time also as we can again only account for the observable universe, who knows how many stars with planets, with life on them exists in the full universe/universes. So any statistical model that you have will fail to account for this when talking about a concept such as rebirth which may cover the full universe/universes.

Do you see my point about it, that saying a near zilch chance is just not true ?

• It's already been pointed out that your premise is incorrect; you can be reborn anywhere at all that sustains sentient beings. Where you're born depends on a number of factors, according to classical abhidharma texts. The most important factors are your habit energies accumulated during this (and previous) lives and, in particular, your "projecting" karma at death. That is to say, the kind of mind that you bring to your last moments in this body have a disproportionate effect on where you end up. That's because the mind you carry forward to the "in between" period (BARDO in Tibetan) becomes a very powerful force when the opportunity to be reborn occurs (traditionally it's said to happen within 7 weeks after death). So, if you meditate on loving kindness in your last months of life and on the suffering that others are forced to go through when they are approaching death (since you can relate to that quote well by then), your chances of rebirth as a being capable of having compassion and love are higher than if you meditate on, say...wishing to destroy those who have harmed you.

As for where you are reborn, there's a simple formula for that---we tend to be drawn to similar situations; karmically we have experienced a whole range of births and probably have been born in many different areas of the universe (to the extent that it has true physical location); however we tend to be attracted to similar situations to what we're used to and, more specifically, to beings we have karma with. We tend to transmigrate together with those people, though the nature of our relationship with them undoubtedly undergoes vast changes from one life to the next. And why to I use the word "attraction" here; isn't there some being sending us on to our rebirth destination? Nope; you choose your rebirth; however the mind that makes that choice is one that's extremely sensitive to all the negative mental factors; it's a mind that exaggerates them 100 fold or so. If you have some slight resentment towards another you may experience perhaps a burning desire to harm them; if you prone to slight paranoia look out in the BARDO; it's filled with mind-created monsters, high cliffs, and accidents waiting to happen. It's of a similar nature to dream state.

It's very unlikely for any being to be born a human. That's what's important to know. It's said that the chances are the same this probability: Imagine a sea turtle, that swims around under the sea randomly and comes up for air once in a hundred years or so. Then imagine that you throw a life preserver, in the shape of a ring, with a whole in the middle in any of the oceans of the world. That chance that the turtle will emerge into the ring is the same as the chance that any sentient being will be reborn as a human. Now once born as a human, if one continues to create the same causes and conditions that resulted in that rebirth, it's likely that they will continue to be reborn as a human; however, that isn't the least bit certain, nor is place of birth.

@tjampel, how do you know this for certain?