Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

who is your teacher?

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
edited August 2011 in Buddhism Today
Reading LeonBasin's topic entitled, "Zen Master Lou Nordstrom...." (http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/11924/zen-master-lou-nordstrom-alan-watts-didnt-understand-zen-or-buddhism.#Item_7) made me wonder what anyone (personally) thought a "master" or "guru" or "venerable" or "teacher" was. Is it someone you revere? Is it someone to whom you ascribe a greater understanding than your own ... and if you do, how could you possibly know that without being personally privy to what the teacher knew? Does the master serve as a role model? Does s/he exhibit what you think is a knock-out compassion, serenity understanding? Etc. I just wonder what aspects anyone might attribute to a teacher, guru, Buddha or whatever. What do you personally think constitutes a master?

Comments

• Shakyamuni...
  • My current teacher is a Thai prostitute whom I've been seeing for the last few months.

She helps me see my fears, desires, hopes & emotions directly.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited August 2011
    You know that the teacher has a greater understanding than your own because he's gone through years of study and training, usually. Most Westerners haven't taken years of courses in buddhist philosophy combined with years of meditation practice. The master should serve as a role model, but some don't measure up. I've never seen or met a teacher who exhibits any compassion, kindness, serenity or emotional understanding. The one's I've observed come across as guys with a lot of book learning, that's all.

What constitutes a master is someone who understands all aspects of the Dharma and can interpret texts and make them accessible to the uninitiated, for one thing. But also someone who is not ego-driven, someone compassionate, someone with a kind heart who is not swayed unduly by emotions and who practices non-discrimination in the application of compassion. In short, a Master is someone who practices what he preaches.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited August 2011
    This guy. :) A good master is one that makes you feel like a fool without actually calling you a fool. Why, because you actually are one! :p

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Someone who gives teachings. You know they are helpful because your mind has the quality of clarity. Thus it recognizes when a teaching is helpful. Your teacher also can answer questions.

Genkaku, the answer to your question is in Gampopa's Jewel Ornament of Liberation for a more complete answer than I can give. The chapter is entitled, the Spiritual Master.
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited August 2011
    @Dakini

don't put all westerners on the same pitaka (basket)... some have chosen to be reborn in a western country.

maybe the dharma teachers wannabes in the east have a polluted mind? maybe they don't really get an iota of what Tathagata taught.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    Life itself, with the teachings of the Buddha as included experiences that lead the mind toward awakening.
  • I think different teachers can deliver different lessons at different times. My forst teacher on the Buddhist path was Buddha himself, when he said "If you offer me a gift and I do not accept it, to whom does the gift belong?" A kind lady at the local Buddhist centre taught me about concentrating on my breath when meditating. @StaticToybox summed up attachment so beautifully in the Buddhist video games thread ("I'm not so attached to the idea of non-attachment that I avoid things I would enjoy out of fear of attachment") that I am thinking of getting them printed up and framed for my wall. And my children teach me endlessly about patience, tolerance and compassion - even when I don't always want to receive the lesson! :D

Whether it is always important or even practical to have just one teacher from whom you learn everything about Buddhist practice is questionable (although I think Shakyamuni is the obvious choice if one should want this). From where I'm sitting at the moment, teachings are more important than teachers.
  • For me integrity would be one of the most important aspects of a teacher. If a teacher lives by what he preaches and what he preaches is in line with core Buddhist values - it's good enough for me.

I think there's a koan in Zen where a monk visits 2 hermits and they say exactly the same thing to him yet he chose one over the other. So finding your teacher is like falling in love – you just know it.
  • existence and myself and the dharma are all the same.
    problems arise when i believe otherwise.

so what isn't my teacher?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Sheng-Yen, a master in Chan Buddhism who lived in the 20th century, said this:
    "It should be remembered that the mind of the master is ever pure... and even if the master tells lies, steals and chases women..., he is still to be considered a true master as long as he scolds his disciples for their transgressions."
    I can't think of a better definition of hypocrisy! But maybe that's just my "mundane" mind talking. :s

I really don't get this bit about masters getting a free pass on vice. That's not what the Buddha exemplified, nor taught. I do understand the Mahayana principle of the rare necessity of breaking a vow to serve a higher good. But vow-breaking shouldn't be a routine behavior, and I fail to see how chasing women could serve a higher humanitarian good.
  • Nature.
  • @Dakini - well said. I too have never quite understood that. If there is one exception for me, I guess it is Chogyam Trungpa : I really like his teachings, but from what I have read, he was quite the character.

As far as answering the question, "who is my teacher?", it is anyone and anything that I open and humble enough to learn from. For me personally, humility is the key. If I think I am smarter, wiser, better than someone else, then I put up a barrier to learning from them, which could very well prevent me from learning something I may not otherwise learn. It's all about being - and remaining - teachable.

Namaste'

Kwan Kev
  • Nature.
    Kill what you eat? Don't do dat homeboy!!!
  • @Dakini

don't put all westerners on the same pitaka (basket)... some have chosen to be reborn in a western country.

maybe the dharma teachers wannabes in the east have a polluted mind? maybe they don't really get an iota of what Tathagata taught.
    U da one wid da polluted mind nigga!

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2011
    @Dakini

U da one wid da polluted mind nigga!

@NOTaGangsta Not only is this kind of response completely unacceptable here, but you've already been warned about this before. So long, and thanks for all the fish.
  • Kill what you eat?
    See, we learn from nature not to kill, such as extinction etc. We still can learn a lot more.

• andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited August 2011
    My thoughts are very similar to what vixthenomad has shared earlier .... in order of greatest impact on my learning, today, I would say the Pali canon suttas from the Lord Buddha, my children and my current formal teacher comes in third.
  • Aside from family, partners, and the like...

One who, having both a greater knowledge of the dharma than I, and great compassion, points out where I'm going wrong...again and again, until I get it right.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited August 2011
    One who, having...great compassion, points out where I'm going wrong...again and again, until I get it right.
  • Sakyamuni Buddha