Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

If I don't believe in reincarnation, where does sentience go?

edited August 2011 in Buddhism Basics
I know the un-importance of this question, but the answer is something I think about often.

I don't think I believe in reincarnation, especially as it seems in Buddhist teaching and from what little I know about neurology, there is no such thing as a "soul". However, what the hell happens to self-awareness when we die? Is everything sentient? Even plants, rocks, dirt, etc.? Does sentience from this human form transition to the dirt, grass, etc. what ever the old body parts constitute in their new form?

I know this isn't very well-expressed, and I apologize. It's kind of an abstract concept for me... anyway... thoughts are appreciated. I'm not really sure in what category this belongs.

TIA!

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    We all have to answer the question sometime in our life, "where was my consciousness, what was I, before I was born?". Some of us answer that a soul was created upon conception and lives forever there after, some others than a "spark" of some kind travels from body to body in rebirth/reincarnation, and yet others that consciousness arises due to conditions and ceases due to conditions.

There's no satisfying answer for everyone, only satisfying answers for the individuals who finally put their own minds to rest. No one can say how that will happen, or when, but it's a deeply personal experience.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Are you aware of the difference between reincarnation and rebirth? Most people tend to think they're one and the same thing, but they're not. Reincarnation implies that there is a "you" that assumes a new body. Rebirth just means that the energy that is the root of your being returns as a new person, but not the personality/soul that is "you". The idea of rebirth is a very basic part of Buddhism (IMHO). Otherwise the law of kamma (karma) is meaningless, as is the path to enlightenment.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    I assume by 'sentience' and 'self awareness' that you mean our personality; our sense of 'I' or 'me'? Buddhism teaches that our sense of 'I' is imputed on our aggregates; that means we have a body and mental formations that when they come together, we get a really good feeling of their being an 'I' or 'me'.

I don't really understand 'the emptiness of self'; I've meditated on my aggregates and went looking for my 'I'; and it was kinda weird not being able to find an 'I'.

It's not like we don't exists; something is there (otherwise it would be pointless trying to develop compassion for others); my teacher says 'it is like an illusion' (rather than 'it is an illusion').

And when we die, our egoic personality disappears forever; since it depended on our aggregates! I once asked a Buddhist teacher why I should be bothered about any future rebirth, since the sentient being that would be reborn wouldn't be 'me' (i.e. not my egoic personality with my memories) and he asked me who would I be if I lost my memory in an accident or suffered with alzhiemers; and he asked me if this 'subsequent no memory person' would still be worthy of care. It gave me some food for thought.
  • We all have to answer the question sometime in our life, "where was my consciousness, what was I, before I was born?". Some of us answer that a soul was created upon conception and lives forever there after, some others than a "spark" of some kind travels from body to body in rebirth/reincarnation, and yet others that consciousness arises due to conditions and ceases due to conditions.

There's no satisfying answer for everyone, only satisfying answers for the individuals who finally put their own minds to rest. No one can say how that will happen, or when, but it's a deeply personal experience.
    Yes, the only answer to "Where do I go after I die?" is "The same place you came from before you were born."

• Yes, the only answer to "Where do I go after I die?" is "The same place you came from before you were born."
    Nicely put!!!

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Hi Tia!

If you really think it's unimportant, then why do you frequently ponder the answer? It seems to me that pondering things that are unknowable, will just make you go crazy. :)
  • If you don't believe in rebirth then you must believe that sentience (literally---the ability to feel...to have feeling), which is a component of mind (one of the 5 heaps)emerges, in some manner, from the activity of the body) If the brain is the place from which consciousness emerges this view makes sense. When there is no brain there can be no sentience, when you die, and the brain stops functioning, sentience ceases as well.

If this is true then it calls into questions many of the Buddha's teachings and, additionally, the extent of any realizations he may have achieved (and it's fine to question that, IMO). The Buddha was trying to teach sentient beings how to achieve a mind which was "beyond" death, beyond nothingness, and certainly not subject to rebirth. I think this is in the Parinirvana Sutra (Skt). He stated numerous times that ordinary sentient beings are forced to be reborn due to the karma generated by their clinging to existence. Existence, in this case, means Samsara rather than some form of pure awareness.

The Vaibashika school interpreted the Buddha's teachings to imply that the mind/awareness of an arhat, when they passed away, simply went out like a light, leaving absolutely nothing, no awareness, no trace. If they were correct (and I think they were clearly wrong), then, if there is no rebirth we all achieve the level of Arhat when we die. So...rejoice? This "great anesthesia" hypothesis of death, as Robert Thurman puts it, is definitely NOT something I aspire to. When I have destroyed this "I" that is every appearance which reifies the existence of THIS working basis (what we generally refer to as me), it's totally unpalatable to think that absolute nothingness is what remains (including no awareness). The Buddha said it's NOT nothingness; so I will defer to Him on this one; whatever it is, I have some degree of faith that He was experiencing "it". If attaining Nirvana is extinction of awareness then the goal of Buddhist coincides with the deepest fears of atheists---that great nothingness that awaits all who die.

I grew up in a Western country with a tradition of non-faith in rebirth. I have studied logical proofs of future lives and have never been sold, due to the fact that they don't factor in genetics; they make assertions which were quite plausible in the 4th Century CE but which can be attacked today, based on what we know about how genes determine many characteristics of our development, so it's more difficult to maintain the argument that consciousness must continue in order to explain habit energies, capabilities, intelligence, creativity, etc. of beings. Yes, they do have these tendencies at birth; but some of that is attributable to the specific genes they carry. This is provable.

I am more persuaded by anecdotal evidence of rebirth, especially the documented behavior of tulkus. There are far too many accounts of them recognizing past teachers or attendants at age 3 (Matthew Ricard has an astonishing story about his own teacher who recognized his attendant from his previous incarnation at this age. He was being enthroned and this old man that no one seemed to know started to approach and the young boy shouted to everyone "That's so and so...let him come here" or words to that effect. Turned out this was one of his personal attendants from his past life. These stories aren't probative but they help me avoid ever being in a situation where I develop non-faith in a key doctrinal area. It's best to always keep an open mind and just look at the evidence as it appears.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited August 2011
    I don't think I believe in reincarnation, especially as it seems in Buddhist teaching and from what little I know about neurology, there is no such thing as a "soul". However, what the hell happens to self-awareness when we die?
    Does sentience exist independant of a physical body & nervous system?

Does sentience exist independant of physical sense organs?

Can physical drugs, such as anesthesia, influence sentience?

Do mental capacities change due to changes in the physical body, such as senile dementia?

If so, what's the issue here?

:confused:
    edited August 2011
    If this is true then it calls into questions many of the Buddha's teachings...
    If this is true then it does not call into question many of the Buddha's teachings...

The Buddha himself taught there can be no origination of consciousness independent of sense organs

The Buddha himself taught there can be no origination of consciousness independent of namarupa (mind-body)

If this is true then it only calls into question your personal idiosyncratic interpretations of the Buddha's teachings

:buck:
  • I am more persuaded by anecdotal evidence of rebirth, especially the documented behavior of tulkus...
    this is just blind faith... :facepalm:
  • What did the Buddha or Buddhist masters ever say about why we necessarily come back as another human? If you live a certain life and your karma is a certain way, is it possible for your spirit/essence to come back as a bear? If there is no soul, no I, that goes from one body to another after death, how is this new person able to recall things from the previous life? So our spirits carry memories? I'm just curious about this as well because I would like to have a full understanding. I try not to engage the thought too much because that is engaging in thoughts about the future and takes me away from the present moment. But my insanely curious mind seeks answers.
  • I am more persuaded by anecdotal evidence of rebirth, especially the documented behavior of tulkus...
    this is just blind faith... :facepalm:
    I think you misunderstood my words or else I did not express them properly.

"I am more persuaded by" this than that does not mean, and was not intended to mean that "I am persuaded". I am NOT persuaded at all...yet. I find such anecdotal evidence more persuasive than theory found in the writings of Dharmakirti, for example. I find those writings unpersuasive. I find anecdotal evidence regarding this to be interesting and to provide some credible evidence for establishing rebirth. I wish I could say that I did have faith in rebirth. I believe that it's necessary, if one is to engage in practices designed to affect their mind stream in future lives.

Blind faith is faith in the object itself, not faith based on the statements of reliable beings. Matthew Ricard, for example, is someone that I consider to be a reliable being. He was awarded a PHD in biology and was accepted into the Pasteur Institute, France's most prestigious biological institution; he chose to become a monk instead. He's also been instrumental in facilitating research on brain activity at during one-pointed meditation, at Univ. of Wisconsin; this has yielded some very exciting results. So when he provides anecdotal information of this type I find it credible. I have no blind faith in Matthew Ricard, having never met him (I've read one of his books but have never attended any of his teachings or presentations).

Examples of proper reliance on anecdotal evidence

If 20 people tell a blind person that there is a wild elephant in front of him in the direction he's currently walking, though he has absolutely no way of knowing this himself, and though no scientific or logical evidence has been presented to prove this point, it's wise to believe them. Anecdotal evidence is relied on, properly for a whole host of differnt behaviors. For example, if a pilot tells another pilot that there's turbulence on the flight path they're both flying the pilot receiving this briefing is wise to take evasive action to avoid it, even if no air controller has found evidence of this. Same thing for a scout reporting back to his CO that there are enemy soldiers in quadrant A and not in quadrant B, where there's no other date to determine this.

There may be other explanations for this type of evidence. I have an open mind. I don't believe in rebirth in the sense of having developed strong conviction about it. I don't know one way or the other. I believe that the anecdotal evidence regarding it should not be ignored.
  • If this is true then it calls into questions many of the Buddha's teachings...
    If this is true then it does not call into question many of the Buddha's teachings...

The Buddha himself taught there can be no origination of consciousness independent of sense organs

The Buddha himself taught there can be no origination of consciousness independent of namarupa (mind-body)

If this is true then it only calls into question your personal idiosyncratic interpretations of the Buddha's teachings

:buck:
    I shouldn't have used the word "sentience" as it refers to the feeling heap; that's not something that survives death. Thanks for correcting me. The Buddha did teach that mental actions and the resultant karmic imprints in our mind bring about rebirth. This is taught in his 12 stages of dependent origination. Sorry if I mislead anyone.
    edited August 2011
    This is taught in his 12 stages of dependent origination.
    the 12 stages of dependent origination describe how suffering originates

in dependent origination, 'suffering' is described as 'sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief & despair'

:bawl:

have we considered learning from the Buddha rather than our so-called "masters"? :buck:
    There is the case where an uninstructed, run-of-the-mill person — who has no regard for noble ones, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma; who has no regard for men of integrity, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma — assumes form... feeling...perception...fabrications...consciousness to be the self. That assumption is a fabrication. Now what is the cause, what is the origination, what is the birth, what is the coming-into-existence of that fabrication? To an uninstructed, run-of-the-mill person, touched by that which is felt born of contact with ignorance, craving arises. That fabrication is born of that. And that fabrication is inconstant, fabricated, dependently co-arisen. That craving... That feeling... That contact... That ignorance is inconstant, fabricated, dependently co-arisen.
    "Now, how is one afflicted in body & afflicted in mind?

"There is the case where an uninstructed, run-of-the-mill person — who has no regard for noble ones, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma; who has no regard for men of integrity, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma — assumes form (the body) to be the self, or the self as possessing form, or form as in the self, or the self as in form. He is seized with the idea that 'I am form' or 'Form is mine.' As he is seized with these ideas, his form changes & alters, and he falls into sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair over its change & alteration.

"He assumes feeling to be the self, or the self as possessing feeling, or feeling as in the self, or the self as in feeling. He is seized with the idea that 'I am feeling' or 'Feeling is mine.' As he is seized with these ideas, his feeling changes & alters, and he falls into sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair over its change & alteration.

"He assumes perception to be the self, or the self as possessing perception, or perception as in the self, or the self as in perception. He is seized with the idea that 'I am perception' or 'Perception is mine.' As he is seized with these ideas, his perception changes & alters, and he falls into sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair over its change & alteration.

"He assumes (mental) fabrications to be the self, or the self as possessing fabrications, or fabrications as in the self, or the self as in fabrications. He is seized with the idea that 'I am fabrications' or 'Fabrications are mine.' As he is seized with these ideas, his fabrications change & alter, and he falls into sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair over their change & alteration.

"He assumes consciousness to be the self, or the self as possessing consciousness, or consciousness as in the self, or the self as in consciousness. He is seized with the idea that 'I am consciousness' or 'Consciousness is mine.' As he is seized with these ideas, his consciousness changes & alters, and he falls into sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair over its change & alteration.

"This, householder, is how one is afflicted in body and afflicted in mind.
    edited August 2011
    What did the Buddha ever say about why we necessarily come back as another human? If you live a certain life and your karma is a certain way, is it possible for your spirit/essence to come back as a bear? If there is no soul, no I, that goes from one body to another after death, how is this new person able to recall things from the previous life? So our spirits carry memories? I'm just curious about this as well because I would like to have a full understanding.
    hi CtS

The Buddha did not say anything about a spirit/essence/soul/consciousness/etc, that comes back

The Buddha only taught one is "born again" due to their karma

However, over time, as Indians & other rooted in Hindu views wished to define some mechanism of transference, they invented "re-linking consciousness" in the Buddhist teachngs, especially in the 12 stages of dependent origination, despite the Buddha himself ever teaching such a thing

The Buddha did not teach meta-physics. The Buddha taught about suffering.

If you perform karma, you will be "born again" in a state you need to resolve.

Kind regards

DD:)

• This is taught in his 12 stages of dependent origination.

in dependent origination, 'suffering' is described as 'sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief & despair'

One of the 12 stages is "becoming", which, as you know, is a reference to the process of rebirth. The 12 stages describe the cycle of birth and death and, yes, they are intended to teach students about the causes of suffering and...yes, suffering carries over from one life to the next. You state this yourself below.
    "The Buddha only taught one is "born again" due to their karma".

I'm referencing this teaching to show that the Buddha considered rebirth to be an accepted fact and taught it as such. I'm not sure we even have a disagreement. But I feel I should answer a criticism when I find fault in what I say and when I don't.
  • edited August 2011
    Hi Tia!

If you really think it's unimportant, then why do you frequently ponder the answer? It seems to me that pondering things that are unknowable, will just make you go crazy. :)
    That's exactly why I prefaced it with that! I can't chase off every unanswerable question. In any case, if I don't find an answer that satisfies me, I may be liable to discard Buddhism the same way I discarded evangelical Christianity.
  • OK, so, is sentience an illusion?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2011
    There is awareness of thoughts, of decisions, of actions and experiences. It is only when we believe that we are a central controlling agent that evokes those to arise that we fall into delusion. When we believe that there is an agent that tells the brain and the body what to do, rather than there is the awareness of decisions and actions made due to conditions.

Will is a process dependent upon all conditions, not independently arisen.
    There is a measure of control, but no independent/separate "I" that can claim it.

The delusion of "self", when penetrated, takes nothing away.
    It only reveals how things have been from the very beginning.
    It is a "paradigm shift" in thinking, but once made, completely natural and obvious.
    edited August 2011
    One of the 12 stages is "becoming", which, as you know, is a reference to the process of rebirth.
    becoming is a mental formation

to become angry, to become sad, to become a mother, a father, a doctor, a nurse

this is "becoming"
    There are these three fermentations (asava): the fermentation of sensuality, the fermentation of becoming, the fermentation of ignorance. This is called fermentation.

Sammaditthi Sutta: Right View
    And he discerns that 'Whatever is fabricated & mentally fashioned is inconstant & subject to cessation.' For him — thus knowing, thus seeing — the mind is released from the effluent of sensuality, the effluent (asava) of becoming, the effluent of ignorance.

With release, there is the knowledge, 'Released.' He discerns that 'Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world.'

He discerns that 'Whatever disturbances that would exist based on the effluent of sensuality... the effluent of becoming... the effluent of ignorance, are not present. And there is only this modicum of disturbance: that connected with the six sensory spheres, dependent on this very body with life as its condition.'

Cula-suññata Sutta: The Lesser Discourse on Emptiness
    :)
    edited August 2011
    The 12 stages describe the cycle of birth and death and, yes, they are intended to teach students about the causes of suffering and...yes, suffering carries over from one life to the next.

I'm referencing this teaching to show that the Buddha considered rebirth to be an accepted fact and taught it as such. I'm not sure we even have a disagreement.
    Of course we have a disagreement.

We are speaking two different languages.

I am speaking the language of the mind, spiritual experience and of the Buddha.

You are speaking the language of meta-physical speculation and faithful obedience to post-Buddha sects.

The last link of Dependent Origination is: "aging-death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief & despair". It means to suffer due to aging & death; to suffer due to change & loss.

"Birth" (jati) means 'self-identification'; it means to take possession or appropriate the five aggregates as "I" and "mine".

Now, please consider reading again what I quote above :)
    "Now, how is one afflicted in body & afflicted in mind?

There is the case where an uninstructed, run-of-the-mill person — who has no regard for noble ones, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma; who has no regard for men of integrity, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma — assumes form (the body) to be the self, or the self as possessing form, or form as in the self, or the self as in form. He is seized with the idea that 'I am form' or 'Form is mine.' As he is seized with these ideas, his form changes & alters, and he falls into sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair over its change & alteration.

Nakulapita Sutta
    Jāti (in Devanagari: जाति Tamil:சாதி) (the word literally means thus born) is the term used to denote clans, tribes, communities and sub-communities in India. It is a term used across religions. In Indian society each jāti typically has an association with a traditional job function or tribe, although religious beliefs (e.g. Sri Vaishnavism or Veera Shaivism) or linguistic groupings define some jatis. A person's surname typically reflects a community (jati) association: thus Gandhi = perfume seller, Dhobi = washerman, Srivastava = military scribe, etc. In any given location in India 500 or more jatis may co-exist, although the exact composition will differ from district to district.
    Now this word jati has many meanings.

For in the passage 'he recollects one birth, two births, etc', it is becoming.

In the passage 'Visakha, there is a kind (jati) of ascetics called Niganthas (Jains)', it is monastic order.

In the passage 'birth is includes in two aggregates', it is whatever is formed.

In the passage 'his birth is due to the first consciousness in the mother's womb' (Vin.i,93), it is rebirth-linking.

In the passage 'as soon as he was born (sampatijata), the Bodhisattva' (M.iii,123) it is parturition [childbirth].

In the passage 'one who is not rejected and despised on the account of birth', it is clan.

In the passage 'sister, since i was born with noble birth', it is the Noble One's virtue.
    Men are farmers by their acts;
    And by their acts are craftsmen too.
    Men are merchants by their acts;
    And by their acts are servants too.

Men are robbers by their acts;
    And by their acts are soldiers too.
    Men are chaplains by their acts;
    And by their acts are rulers too.

So that is how the truly wise
    See action how it really is,

Seers in Dependent Origination
    Skilled in actions and results.

Majjhima Nikaya Sutta 94
    These five aggregates subject to clinging are the self-identification described by the Blessed One. The craving that makes for new becoming — accompanied by passion & delight, relishing now here & now there — i.e., craving for sensual pleasure, craving to be, craving not to be: This, friend Visakha, is the origination of self-identification described by the Blessed One.

This, monks, is the path of practice leading to self-identification. One assumes about the eye that 'This is me, this is my self, this is what I am.'One assumes about forms... One assumes about consciousness at the eye... One assumes about contact at the eye... One assumes about feeling... One assumes about craving that 'This is me, this is my self, this is what I am.'

Majjhima Nikaya Sutta 148
  • edited August 2011
    and...yes, suffering carries over from one life to the next
    The Buddha said that the precise working out of the results of kamma was unconjecturable.

AN 4.77 - Acintita Sutta: Unconjecturable

"There are these four unconjecturables that are not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about them. Which four?

"The Buddha-range of the Buddhas is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it.

"The jhana-range of a person in jhana...

"The [precise working out of the] results of kamma...

"Conjecture about [the origin, etc., of] the world is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it.

"These are the four unconjecturables that are not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about them."

edited August 2011
    One of the 12 stages is "becoming", which, as you know, is a reference to the process of rebirth. The 12 stages describe the cycle of birth and death..
    The quote below from another thread is the perfect response to your unverified speculative interpretation of Dependent Origination :coffee:
    There's a simple basic rule that is applied in some Buddhist traditions, at least; what hasn't been personally experienced or shown to exist through reasoning can't logically be asserted. Classic example? "There are ghosts in this house", from one who has never encountered a ghost nor reviewed evidence from which one could establish their existence within a reasonable certainty.

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/11650/do-you-believe-in-gods#Item_66
  • This is taught in his 12 stages of dependent origination.

One of the 12 stages is "becoming", which, as you know, is a reference to the process of rebirth. The 12 stages describe the cycle of birth and death and, yes, they are intended to teach students about the causes of suffering and...yes, suffering carries over from one life to the next. You state this yourself below.
    "The Buddha only taught one is "born again" due to their karma".

I'm referencing this teaching to show that the Buddha considered rebirth to be an accepted fact and taught it as such. I'm not sure we even have a disagreement. But I feel I should answer a criticism when I find fault in what I say and when I don't.
    I also don't see that there is disagreement ( more accurately, I would say any important disagreement - plenty of irrelevant disagreements, which make for colourful online spats and can lead to world wars) - for a more subtle reason than believing the teachings of the Buddha support any kind of post mortem rebirth - from the result of understanding reality based on practice.

edited August 2011
    I also don't see that there is disagreement...
    That may be so but I saw 100% disagreement & continue to see 100% disagreement :D
  • Why does sentience have to go anywhere in particular (when you die)?

Sentience arises with your body, and dissolves with death like a wave breaking on a beach.

Namaste
  • Yep, yep, yep ....
  • Why does sentience have to go anywhere in particular (when you die)?

Sentience arises with your body, and dissolves with death like a wave breaking on a beach.

Namaste
    I mean, that sentience, like everything else, does not become nothing upon death... it has to become something else.
  • Hi pht, is this what we can not know for sure and what we therefore need not become concerned with, do you think?
  • Hi pht, is this what we can not know for sure and what we therefore need not become concerned with, do you think?
    Yes. That is most likely, but that doesn't stop me from being curious.
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited August 2011
    yes, as the saying goes though curiosity killed the cat .... as I have heard HHDL say, ask good questions, science does not have the answer for everything , as yet.
    edited August 2011
    What we can ever really know is only in the present.
    This view is described as impermanence - every thing is known only in that of the moment.
    This moment of any object depends upon a criteria of reality called
    " efficiency ".
    It is the "efficiency" of any object that ensures it reality, but that quality must always be changing since time is a flow and not a series of discrete moments.
    So, any real object is constantly changing: Impermanence is the very nature of existence.

• What we can ever really know is only in the present.
    This view is described as impermanence - every thing is known only in that of the moment.
    This moment of any object depends upon a criteria of reality called
    " efficiency ".
    It is the "efficiency" of any object that ensures it reality, but that quality must always be changing since time is a flow and not a series of discrete moments.
    So, any real object is constantly changing: Impermanence is the very nature of existence.

I still have questions. Impermanence is both the simplest and most difficult concept to grasp. It is easily visible in the material world, but the implications of impermanence are mind-boggling.
    edited August 2011
    I just don't go " there " .... in terms of the mind boggling, kind of if the stars ever line up that way it will happen, if you know what I mean. Meanwhile, I keep on keeping on. Questions are not always able to be answered ... as Clint Eastwwod said to Meryl Streep in the film of Bridges of Madison County ( hey, I am a Aussie Chick after all - lol ) , old dreams are still our dreams, whether thay come true or not, we can still be glad we had them :)
  • Hi Tia!

That's exactly why I prefaced it with that! I can't chase off every unanswerable question. In any case, if I don't find an answer that satisfies me, I may be liable to discard Buddhism the same way I discarded evangelical Christianity.
    Good, if you're unsatisfied with the answers so far, then you're doing it right. In Zen, we call it the "don't know" mind. And, your question is very important. It's another way of asking, "What am I?", because the answer to where you go when you die depends on the nature of the "you" sitting here and reading this. Does that make sense so far?

The answers will always be unsatisfactory, no matter what you get in reply, until you understand the mind that is asking the question. What is your true nature right now? Unless you can answer that, how do you expect to know which answer to what happens after death is correct?

So begin with this "don't know" mind. Ask youself, "What am I?" or "What is my mind's true nature?" Once you begin to comprehend the emptiness of the skandhas, the answer to what you were before you were born and what happens after your body dies will become clear. Until then, there is no answer in the world that will satisfy your "don't know" mind. We all start at the same place. When your mind gets tired of running in circles, you will find your answer.

Hope that helps.

• Dhamma Dhatu
    I'm not sure that we both benefit by this conversation. I assume that you are responding to me for
    One of the 12 stages is "becoming", which, as you know, is a reference to the process of rebirth. The 12 stages describe the cycle of birth and death..
    The quote below from another thread is the perfect response to your unverified speculative interpretation of Dependent Origination :coffee:
    There's a simple basic rule that is applied in some Buddhist traditions, at least; what hasn't been personally experienced or shown to exist through reasoning can't logically be asserted. Classic example? "There are ghosts in this house", from one who has never encountered a ghost nor reviewed evidence from which one could establish their existence within a reasonable certainty.

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/11650/do-you-believe-in-gods#Item_66
    When I refer to The Cycle of Birth and Death I am referring to the Mahayana literature. According to the Mahayana the Buddha himself draw a chart, later referred to as "The Cycle of Birth and Death" as a visual aid to help explain his teachings on dependent origination.

When I refer to the classic example of a ghost and whether or not one can assert the existence of something where there is an absence I am asserting something from translated directly from a debate textbook. It may be that the textbook is wrong.

However, logically, from any standpoint. If one has no direct experience/perception of something which is not demonstrably present for others to verify) and they are unable to make a case based on reason that it exists, what's left....blind faith. You are not a big fan of blind faith, I gather, based on your previous assertions. Nor was the Buddha; he asked his followers not to accept his words out of respect for him and asked them, more specifically to test them as one might test a material asserted to be gold. So, I don't understand your bringing up my point about not saying there's a ghost in this room made simply because that person has heard that this is a ghost or assumes there are ghosts based on reading something.

In fact, given your statement that I was engaging in blind faith for asserting that the anecdotal evidence of rebirth is stronger (for me) than the proofs I've read, this current assertion (your objection to my claiming that asserting ghosts despite having neither foundation in experience nor reasoning is improper) makes even less sense now. I don't assert rebirth as a fact. One who claims there are ghosts in the room having perception of them or conviction based on reasoning does.

I think that perhaps you feel that the Mahayana presentation lacks credibility. You are entitled to assert that point of view, naturally.

edited August 2011
    I am referring to the Mahayana literature.
    the word "literature" sums up your views very well.

however, in regards to Dependent Origination:
    Whoever sees dependent co-arising sees the Dhamma; whoever sees the Dhamma sees dependent co-arising.

Maha-hatthipadopama Sutta
    lit·er·a·ture (ltr--chr, -chr)
    n.
    1. The body of written works of a language, period or culture.
    2. Imaginative or creative writing, especially of recognized artistic value: "Literature must be an analysis of experience and a synthesis of the findings into a unity" (Rebecca West).
    3. The art or occupation of a literary writer.
    4. The body of written work produced by scholars or researchers in a given field: medical literature.
    5. Printed material: collected all the available literature on the subject.
    6. Music All the compositions of a certain kind or for a specific instrument or ensemble: the symphonic literature.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/literature

regards :coffee:
    edited August 2011
    You are not a big fan of blind faith...
    Was the Buddha a fan of blind faith, when he spoke of Dependent Origination as follows? :confused:
    Yet bhikkhus, you who know and see thus would you say, we have reverence for the Teacher. We say it out of reverence to the Teacher?

No, venerable sir.

Yet bhikkhus, you who know and see thus would you say. Our recluse said it, these are the recluse's words. We do not say that?

No, venerable sir.

Bhikkhus, you who know and see thus would you seek another teacher?

No, venerable sir.

Bhikkhus, isn't it that you by youself knowing, seeing and experiencing say it?

Yes, venerable sir.

Good! O! bhikkhus, I have led you up in this Teaching. It is here and now. Time does not matter. It is open to inspection, leads to the beyond and is to be experienced by the wise, by themselves.

Bhikkhus, if it was said the Teaching is here and now. Time does not matter, is open to inspection, leads to the beyond and is to be realised by the wise by themselves, it was said on account of this.

Mahàtanhàsankhaya Sutta
    Do you think millions of Buddhists are merely giving 'lip-service' to the following words when they chant them twice a day? :confused:
    (LEADER):

Handa mayaṃ dhammābhithutiṃ karoma se:

Now let us give high praise to the Dhamma:

(ALL):

[Yo so svākkhāto] bhagavatā dhammo,

The Dhamma well-expounded by the Blessed One,

Sandiṭṭhiko akāliko ehipassiko,

to be seen here & now, timeless [immediately effective], inviting all to come & see,

Opanayiko paccattaṃ veditabbo viññūhi:

leading inward, to be seen by the wise for themselves:

Tam-ahaṃ dhammaṃ abhipūjayāmi,
    Tam-ahaṃ dhammaṃ sirasā namāmi.

I honor most highly that Dhamma,
    To that Dhamma I bow my head down.

(BOW DOWN) :bowdown:

• Each second I am born and reborn. The term "I" is used loosely. Functionally, I = This being/construct/sentience that moves through time and space, subject to suffering and all tenets of reality.

I can see this movement through time and space. When you assume that you can die, and reappear elsewhere, then you just stopped existing in "space". There must be a mode of transit from life to life. But this all isn't very important. The Dhamma is now, not later.
    edited August 2011
    nothing is ever "reborn", as though the same thing is born twice

"I" is not reborn but it is "born again"

the "I" belief continues to be born in the mind; it continues to arise

but each birth (jati) is a new birth; it is a new sense of "I"

the "I" angry at the rainy weather today is not the same "I" that was happy with the sunny weather yesterday

"I" is born again but not reborn (imo)

regards :)
  • mediocre western mind will not find the mind on the brain.

it is rebirth, not reincarnation.

anatta, anicca, dukkha.