Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Too old and stiff to go sitting cross legged...

ToshTosh Veteran
edited September 2011 in Meditation
I struggle putting my socks on in the morning; that's how stiff I am!

I can sit 'zazen' using a stool, but I prefer to just sit upright in a comfy chair; however, do any of you lot think it's worth making the effort to get a bit stretchier and sit cross legged while meditating?

If so, have you any tips on being able to sit cross legged? I've recently started running (again); and stretch off after each run; so are there any stretching exercises?

Thanks.

Comments

• It's fine to meditate by sitting in a straight-backed chair and if possible keeping the spine straight if one has physical problems.

:)
  • You can even meditate lying down if you have to.
  • Hi Tosh, I'm pretty bendy and do yoga but still prefer to meditate in a hard-back chair sometimes. As long as your spine is fairly erect (without forcing it) and chest is open so you can breath easily and stay alert it should work well. I try to avoid any major pressure points that will start to ache over time or cut off circulation. For e.g. on the chair I'll elevate my feet a bit so my thighs aren't pressing into the seat at all.
  • Cheers, guys, if there's no advantage in sitting cross legged, I'll not do it. But what about if I wanted to go on a retreat somewhere (which I'm thinking about) are chairs always provided?

I don't think sitting cross legged is beyond me; I can do most things with practise; but I will only do it if there's value in doing it.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I sit propped up by a wall, with my legs loose in front of me.
    It's not the how, it's the why.
  • Cheers, guys, if there's no advantage in sitting cross legged, I'll not do it. But what about if I wanted to go on a retreat somewhere (which I'm thinking about) are chairs always provided?

I don't think sitting cross legged is beyond me; I can do most things with practise; but I will only do it if there's value in doing it.
    I don't think there is much benefit to sitting in lotus. I've heard it's the most stable position to meditate in, but I do just fine with seiza or a chair. There is a reason why it's called the "Middle Way" and not the "You must do it this way or else" way. lol Do what's right for you!
  • I don't think there's necessarily any benefit specifically for meditation, but for general health I absolutely do (RN talk here). Becoming more flexible means less stress resident in muscles and ligaments. Releasing that stress is only healthy for you overall. I recommend *very* gentle beginner's yoga to help begin to get you limbered up a bit. But go slowly if you've never done it before. Within a few weeks you'll start to see positive changes though, and you'll feel better. Many of those little aches and pains that are *caused* by your lack of mobility will begin to lessen and go away.

Peace
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    @Tosh,

I've always been sitting cross-legged and recently starting more to sit in full-lotus rather than half and I am amazed how that affects my sitting - I definitely feel more stable and centered. Having said that, I don't know if it's to do with cross legged position itself, or just my body gets into meditation mode when I do it.

I think you can equally meditate well kneeling, on a chair or otherwise, the thing is to keep the spine straight and be able to relax. But if you can do some gentle yoga/stretching, I'd say it's worth experimenting with cross-legged position. But don't push yourself.
  • Hi Mountains,

I've just been checking yoga classes out on-line, and there's quite a few to choose from within easy driving distance.

But my ego tells me it's going to be full of wimmin, and I'm going to turn up in my ex-army PT kit (ron hills and sraggy tee-shirt) and make look like a right idiot.

Sounds like fun!

Thanks.
  • I switched to a seiza bench a few months ago and it has worked wonders for me.
  • Yoga may or may not be full of women, but I'll tell you, some of those women will kick your yoga butt :)
  • I meditate lying down on bed, and sometimes I can't even lie on my back due to injury, so I just lie in whatever way and I still am able to meditate very well. As long as you can breathe well enough to pay attention to stuff without being distracted by you lungs being constricted in some way I think it's fine to meditate in whatever way.

What matters is that you are reaping the benefits.
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran

After a horrendous motorcycle accident many years ago, in which it's easier to name what wasn't broken, I can neither bend my back nor sit cross-legged. I use a chair, and it works just fine.

As Fede says... it's not the how...
  • I too lay on the floor. Works great for me. I agree, what ever way is comfortable. :)

• Depends.

Consider this: Many teachers say that if you use a chair, your back should NOT rest on the back of the chair (leaning into the chair is not considered an "alert" posture). But if you use a normal chair but don't use the backrest, your back may become sore from supporting your body. Hence, the advantage of sitting cross-legged on the floor with a cushion: that posture will keep your back naturally straight without putting as much strain as sitting in a chair without using the backrest.

However, there are other ways to achieve a strong back position without sitting cross-legged. These include using a bench, or straddling a double cushion.

One position I like that is not often mentioned is using a regular chair, but putting a few books under the rear legs so that the chair leans forward a bit. This will raise the tailbone in relation to the knees and produce a strong back position similar to sitting cross-legged on a cushion.

Finally, you may want to begin experimenting sitting cross-legged on a cushion. Burmese and tailor positions are pretty easy.

• Prostration is excellent for stretching exercises.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Yoga may or may not be full of women, but I'll tell you, some of those women will kick your yoga butt :)
    They do. I've been to three yoga lessons; I go every Thursday now; and they're really good. I also do some of the stretches after I exercise.

Thank you for your excellent suggestion, Mountains.

• Nice video @spaceless. I was wondering about prostrations.