Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Have you ever read A book that was just so true and Blew you away and transformed your life??

edited September 2011 in Buddhism Basics
(Doesnt necessarily have to be a buddhist book)

However, Is there a book which just made you think 'YES!, THIS IS IT' and you would re-read over and over!

Does one exist for you?

(P.S, I wasnt sure which category this should go in)

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    One book, no. But I found a number of books by Norman Vincent Peale and Robert Schuller -- as a whole -- to be quite inspiring.
  • The book called Alcoholics Anonymous, affectionately known as the Big Book.

First time I read it I was two days sober; I thought it was complete madness. It's a spiritual program of recovery, and that wasn't the sort of spirits I was interested in.

Once I got myself a sponsor (a mentor) who took me through the Big Book, and we followed the directions, my life really did change. It showed me how to get a more accurate picture of my past by investigating my resentments, harms I'd done to others, and fears. It helped me clear up my past, so I could live more comfortably in the present; it showed me what to do to to have my obsession to drink myself to oblivion removed.

It also gives some good advice at 'working with others'; i.e. helping and showing compassion to alkies who're still drinking; the spiritual program is heavily weighted towards helping others.

It has also led me to Buddhism.

I love the Big Book, and I'm sure many Buddhists could relate to much of it.
  • As a matter of fact, I was just discussing this with my SO yesterday, and came to the conclusion that "Learned Optimism : How to Change Your Mind and Your Life" by Martin Seligman is just such a book for me.

I have struggled with depression for much of my life, and my therapist suggested it. I was so blown away to realize that while I always thought of myself as an optimist, I had A LOT of pessimistic, negative internal dialogue plaguing me.

What I really liked about the book was that it not only described the issues, it gave actual real world examples of people and how they progressed using the teachings of the book, as well as some "workbook" type exercises to serve as practical tools for changing the way I think, or talk to myself inside.

Fantastic book - highly recommend it.

Kwan Kev
  • The book length poem, Sunstone, by Octavio Paz. I read this aloud to myself from cover to cover one night. The poem is one big run on sentence that circles back on itself. It was something like a mystical experience for me, way back in 1994.

Thich Nhat Hanh's The Heart of Understanding, which is a very brief commentary on the Heart Sutra and emptiness. It was one of the first books on Buddhism I read and helped me to get past all the negative misunderstandings I previously had of Buddhism. It immediately led me to studying Buddhism more deeply and to do zazen. TNH explains emptiness with such clarity it blew my mind. Its a great introduction to an understanding of emptiness.

In a similar vein, but with even more depth: Jay Garfield's translation and commentary on Nagarjuna's The Fundamental Wisdom of the Middle Way. I am not finished reading this very dense text, but it has helped me to understand emptiness even more deeply. I still have only realised a very tiny glimmer of emptiness (a slight ontological re-orientation actually is the best I can currently describe it), but it has been largely because of this book. Its definitely a book I want to re-read and re-examine.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited September 2011
    I agree The Heart of Understanding is a beautiful and inspiring book.

The book that has most blown my mind is called Straw Dogs by the english philosopher John Gray. The title is a reference to the Dao De Ching. It is a book that seriously challenged my view of the world in many ways. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
  • @Tosh -

I totally agree, 100%, with everything you said. Always great to see a post from another friend of Bill W. :)

Namaste'

Kwan Kev
  • As a matter of fact, I was just discussing this with my SO yesterday, and came to the conclusion that "Learned Optimism : How to Change Your Mind and Your Life" by Martin Seligman is just such a book for me.

i'm gonna check this one out. thank you. :)

• the book of secrets by osho.

this book is just insane. osho is very articulate and very straightforward.
    it is a great book to understand the technology of meditation and how it relates on every single level of human existence.
  • @Kwan Kev,

Namaste to you too! ;-)
  • I forgot to mention: a handful of books by E.M. Cioran, but especially The Trouble With Being Born. Not that I would recommend it to anyone. But in a really painful time I went through some years ago, I would actually say that reading him literally saved my life.
  • ZelkovaZelkova Explorer
    edited September 2011
    There's a lot that did that for me. The Road by Cormac McCarthy. 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. Life of Pi by Yann Martel. 1984 by George Orwell. And especially anything by Nietzsche. Every one of these books has led me to some insight about life and the world. Plus they are all really great books.
  • Lots of people here poo-poo his work, but given where I was at in life at the time I read it, "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle really touched me.
  • 35 years ago i picked up Journey to Ixtlan by Carlos Casteneda with no idea what it was about. For a week after I finished it I felt like I was in a different place. The world looked different. It really never went back to what it was before. More recently, The Five Houses of Zen by Thomas Cleary had the biggest impact for me.
  • I have a few that really were influential for me:
    "His Dark Materials series" by Philip Pullman (first exposure to religious critical thinking)
    "Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro (ignore the film...)
    "Death With Interruptions" by Jose Saramago
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Just a heads-up everyone, in case you hadn't noticed:
    Thread starter 'Within' has been banned. It's a case of a previously (multi-)banned member trying to creep in - yet again.
    Sorry 'bout that.
    keep on posting though.
    It's good stuff....

For my part, the book that absolutely hit me square between the eyes and set the ball rolling was "The Tibetan book of Living & Dying".
  • What the Buddha Taught first but over and over The Dhammapadda
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Peter Singer's book "Animal Liberation". Not Buddhist and I didn't say "this is it!" it was more like "this is despicable!" but it was very transformative because it showed me how humans actually treat animals. Pouring drain cleaner into a bunny rabbit's eyes to see if it will go blind... Selfish would be an understatement...

• Lots of people here poo-poo his work, but given where I was at in life at the time I read it, "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle really touched me.
    I'm a fan of Eckhart Tolle.

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    http://www.tharpa.com/uk/book-Transform.Your.Life-47.html

Funnily enough it was called Transform your life :)
  • For me it was The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. Metaphorically, I could relate to a lot of the book when I read it at the time. I had come to a fork in the road in my life, and that book inspired me and it gave me the courage to take a risk and take the right path.
  • I don't read much fiction these days, but I'd like to add two novels and one short story as books that moved me deeply (to tears actually) because of the deep compassion expressed in them:

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky,
    Beloved by Toni Morrison,
    and Raymond Carver's short story "Cathedral."

• @riverflow I LOVE Fyodor Dostoevsky's books. The idiot is another excellent book, but a bit long and difficult to get through. I would recommend it if you like his books.

I have struggled with depression for much of my life, and my therapist suggested it. I was so blown away to realize that while I always thought of myself as an optimist, I had A LOT of pessimistic, negative internal dialogue plaguing me.

What I really liked about the book was that it not only described the issues, it gave actual real world examples of people and how they progressed using the teachings of the book, as well as some "workbook" type exercises to serve as practical tools for changing the way I think, or talk to myself inside.

Like you I had been depressed for 13 years of my life. the book that changed my life was Seth Speaks by Jane Roberts because there was a line in the book that caused me to become optimistic and cured my depression. It was this, "It is your thoughts that depress you and not the other way around." from that day on I began changing my thoughts and in less than a month my depressionw as gone and it never returned. Sounds like you found a great book.

Fantastic book - highly recommend it.

Kwan Kev
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    I absolutely love The Glass Bead Game by Herman Hesse. Over the course of many years, as I get older and gain wisdom and experience (lol WIS and EXP) I keep finding situations and philosophies which recall the book for me.

The Glass Bead Game: (Magister Ludi) A Novel
  • @riverflow I LOVE Fyodor Dostoevsky's books. The idiot is another excellent book, but a bit long and difficult to get through. I would recommend it if you like his books.
    Oh yeah, when I first began reading Crime & Punishment (in 2007) it seemed sluggish at first, but a few chapters in, and I couldn't put the book down. I ended up re-reading the book again that same year!

I've read a few other books of his (The Bros. K, Demons, Notes from the Underground) but I haven't yet read The Idiot. It is on my list of "to read" books however! What you say sounds encouraging too! :-)
  • The Power of Now by Tolle.

Helped a lot in my understanding of the importance of mindfulness and meditation on the path to freedom.
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited September 2011
    3 books have had a massive impact on my life.

1st, Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda. I came upon this book due to the fact that as a musician I noticed the three groups or artists I was most influenced by at the time (The Beatles, Yes, and Gary Wright) all made some mention of him on album covers (his picture along with his line of Gurus appear on Sgt. Pepper, All Gary Wright Albums are dedicated to him, and Yes' "Tales from Topographic oceans" was based on a foot note in the book)
    At the time I was a daily drug abuser. However I was looking for musical inspiration, so I got the book. Before I completed it I had stopped using drugs, become a Vegetarian, and changed the direction my life was headed.
    Today I would not be impressed with it due to it's emphasis on miracles and things that are now beyond my level of credibility, but I will forever be grateful that I encountered it when I did. It was perfect for that moment.

2nd, "Peace is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh. Especialy the description of "inter-being" showing it was a demonstratable physical truth, not just a nice poetic idea.

3rd. "Tannisho" which is a collection of Shinran Shonin's teachings. Very good understanding of Karma, and reliance on Amida Buddha. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to understand Pure Land Buddhism. This book almost singlehandedly converted me from Zen to Shin.
  • I'm reading the Lotus Sutra right now.
  • 1. The way of zen by Alan Watts. The book that set me on the path.
    2. Lieh tzu. Classical wisdom for everyday life.
    3. Tao te ching.
    4. Yoga sutras of Patanjali. Meditation totally explained.
  • bravehawkbravehawk Explorer
    edited September 2011
    does the Sookie Stackhouse series count? :)

lol j/k, actually one of my favorate books is "someplace to be flying" by charles de lent. over all the storyline construction lacks something, but the plot and the thought process the main character goes through is something worth reading.