Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

mentioning the unmentionable ... defeat

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
edited September 2011 in Buddhism Today
As part of the run-up to the commemoration of the tragedy of Sept. 11, 2001, I liked this opinion piece about mentioning the unmentionable topic of defeat.

I particularly liked the reminder from an earlier Vietnam war:

This argument about Al Qaeda is reminiscent of Harry Summers telling an NVA [North Vietnamese Army] colonel: "You know you never defeated us on the battlefield." To which Col. Tu famously replied, "That may be so. But it is also irrelevant."

Comments

• Defeat is inevitable and the designers, engineers of the "war on terror" know this. They knew it from the start. As well, victory is not the goal and it never was. The goal was/is perpetual war. Perpetual war keeps the populace in fear and compliant. Our rights and freedoms are gleefully surrendered as we celebrate the criminal and morally perverse that is clothed as patriotism. And the money just rolls into the coffers of the puppeteers. The defence industry has their new boogie-man after the end of the cold war. The oil industry has control of middle east and south asian supply lines and the bankers have their military arm sitting right next to the fastest developing nations on the planet. They will only stop when they have devoured everything or their modus operandi are rendered ineffective. As long as there is war, they have won and everyone else has lost.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Gui strong words that I am inclined to agree with.
    All the best,
    Todd
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Genkaku,
    Thanks for posting this.
    All the best,
    Todd