Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

My first visit to a real-life sangha

edited September 2011 in Sanghas
Yesterday I attended a meeting of the Pebbles Sangha in Brighton (England).

It's a Zen group, which suits me well as so far I feel most drawn towards the Zen way. There were no ordained monks or nuns but several practitioners of many years' standing. We did a guided meditation, a walking meditation, took turns reading from a text and then shared some ideas that had arisen from the readings. Then it was just free meditation and we all shared a veggie lunch afterwards.

I also borrowed some books from them, and ended up going home with a bag full of windfall plums and apples off someone's tree. Not bad considering that my contribution was a box of herbal tea bags! The other members came cross as very normal, not new-agey like I've found some Buddhists to be, but with a certain peace about them - just ordinary people trying, in a very quiet and unpretentious way, to live a good life.

All in all, a lovely, friendly and informal group that I will almost certainly frequent again.

Comments

• Sounds good Vix ! I hope you have many more fruitful get-togethers with the
    group. :)
  • That's great Vix! Happy to hear it.

Ah, Brighton :)
  • I'm glad the experience was a positive one.
  • It was nice to read about your first experience; it's interesting isn't it!

At my first experience, I never took my shoes off, and I had two Tibetan monks (who frightened me 'cos I'm ex army and they look like Gurkhas) shout 'Shoes off!! Then they giggled and one said, "There, first lesson!"

Made me smile.
  • I am starting to get to know my local zen shrine and I also had nothing but positive experiences. A little bit of an anxious or weird feeling going on the first day. But, the first plunge has been taken and I am genuinely happen to have such a group so near.
  • zen + jam! thats a nice outcome.. fresh plum jam. unless you ate them all on the way home :D
  • Ah, Brighton :)
    You've visited, then? :)

• when I lived in London for 5 years all I remember of Brighton is when the west pier burned down in 2003.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Good for you @vixthenomad! There's nothing like a little empirical investigation to put meat on the Buddhist bone.

Go once, go twice, go three times ... just keep on going and keep on practicing. Will you find things to like? Count on it. Will you find things to dislike? Count on it. Will you be elevated or despair? Count on it. Just keep up your determined and constant practice.
  • zen + jam!
    Didn't they put out several albums in the 1980s and '90s? :)
  • There's nothing like a little empirical investigation to put meat on the Buddhist bone.
    Spoken like a true vegetarian :)
  • zen + jam!
    Didn't they put out several albums in the 1980s and '90s? :)
    I think they toured roanoke with the wiggles