Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Atheist to Buddhist?

edited September 2011 in Buddhism Basics
The other day I went to a temple in Leicester (UK) and spoke with a brother monk for an hour about Buddhism. For years I have strongly defined myself as an atheist, feeling a lot of anger against religion, mainly Christianity. I was not happy in my life and I was full of suffering. I wanted to find out about Buddhism so I asked for some information and I was invited to the temple for a talk. So much of what we talked about made so much sense and touched me on a human level. I was given a CD with photos, Dhamma talks by Ajahn Brahm and ebooks on Buddhism. Since then I have become fassinated by all the Dhamma talks of Ajahn Brahn and Ajahn Chah. As a philosophy on life I feel Buddhism isn't something for me to learn, but something to live buy. Already I feel happier and calmer every day. Maybe something to do with working through the guided meditation for 30 minutes every day included on the CD?

There is one thing though

I agree with the philiosophy of the 4 noble trueths and opening my heart and mind to stillness and acceptance, but I cant say I believe in 'energy'. I can't say I believe in karma as a 'force', or the concept of reincarnation.

I am a PhD student in Human Factors Design and as a result I question everything. Just because someone says something is 'true' doesn't mean I will just accept it without reason. The reason why I am/ was an atheist is because to believe in God/ Jesus/ Muhammed (etc.) required to suspension of thought and rationality in order to just accept it. Also they never gave me any inner joy. Buddhism has already filled me with so much joy I can not believe it! I walk around with a smile on my face and peace in my heart and I know I have only touched the edge of this universe. But again, how can I begin or continue my path in Buddhism is I don't in my heart believe in the fundermentals of Karma, past lives and reincarnation?

Sorry this post is so long, but I wanted to open up my heart and mind to this forum to be truethful to you all and open to recieve your thoughts and opinions wholly.

Comments

• Hello and welcome! I think most Buddhists would agree that it's not so much what you believe as how you live your life. Past lives and rebirth are a very small part of Buddhism from what I've seen, and in fact many Buddhists don't seem to believe this in a literal sense. Even belief in karma takes a back seat to the Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha. If you've taken refuge in those things, then you're pretty much a Buddhist (although I fully expect @Mountains to chip in at some point to let you know about the secret handshake :D).

Spiritual discovery is a pretty amazing and intense thing, but it's not an easy way to live your life - hence, I think, why so many people choose to opt out of religion/faith. I'm on the first steps of the path myself and finding it very hard at times. Having said that though, the benefits do seem to outweigh the difficulties - most of the time, at any rate.
  • Hi Design the World,

In my opinion, to practice the core teachings of the Buddha, it isn't necessary to 'believe' in anything that you can't verify such as rebirth/reincarnation.

with kind wishes,

D.
  • You cannot be a Buddhist unless you verify personally everything that you believe. You have to find your own truth just as Buddha did his.
  • Karma, at it's simplest is just cause and effect (the word itself means 'action'). I'm sure anyone can agree with that. Karma comes into play when we have an emotion; so if we think or do something that creates an emotion, then karma has been produced. But I'm taught that Karma is so complex that only an Enlightened being can fully understand the effects of karma, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I think the main thing to take from karma is that it's not about accepting a bad situation (Oh, it must be my karma to suffer this), but it's about using karma to change and create a good situation.

And neither do you have to take on board rebirth - just keep testing and developing your meditation practise. As a relative newcomer to Buddhism myself, that's all I'm doing. I try to keep an open mind, and I remember listening to Pema Chodron saying that we can have faith by thinking, "Well, the Buddha was right about 'this', so maybe he was right about 'that'". I liked that.

And there are 'atheist Buddhists'; you may want to google for some talks or books written by Stephen Bachelor.

I hope that's been some help; though take what I say with a pinch of salt; I really don't know an awful lot about Buddhism (and this isn't false humility here; I really don;t!).
  • @DesignTheWorld,

As you are investigating an offline Theravada Forest Tradition group at the moment, I would suggest that you read/listen to more of their teachings and have a look at some of the resources here,especially those from Ajahn Chah and Ajahn Sumedho. You will find them clear and informative and free from superstition and speculation.

http://www.amaravati.org/abmnew/index.php/teachings/eArticles

with kind wishes,

D
  • I too am/was atheist, because the notion of god - an invisible all-seeing,all-knowing entity seemed like a fairy tale to me. Hard to swallow, much less worship.

Buddhism appeals to me because, as you said (not in so many words) it's a way of life. not a a religion per se. Like Jesus (which many intermingle with god as a concept), Buddha was a man - a very wise one! He had realizations, insight,experiences, epiphanies, whatever you want to call them, that were indeed incredible, and that spoke to the essence of human kind and how we relate to each other and the larger picture. To me it is a road map of how to navigate life and the complexities that are mankind.

Worship....well, no, however I revere the teachings and wisdom of the Buddha, The Dalai Lama, and the others that have come along who are willing to take time to teach. Each perspective offers knowledge and insight into the human experience.

There is more to it than that, however if one only takes away from Buddhism how to treat each other with kindness and compassion, then we're doing a good job to ease the suffering of the world.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    You guys on newbuddhist ALWAYS get this wrong. Buddhists typically are Atheists.

Buddhists = Atheists. More specifically, Agnostic-Atheists or even Apatheists if you want to go that far.
  • You guys on newbuddhist ALWAYS get this wrong. Buddhists typically are Atheists.
    Well, that's told us...

:whatever:
  • Words. Labels. They're all empty anyway.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Buddhist doesn't mean atheist, doesn't mean agnostic, and doesn't mean otherwise. One can call themselves a Buddhist based on many criteria. One definition of a Buddhist may be one who, like the Buddha and based on his teachings, is seeking liberation from suffering. To seek liberation doesn't mean we begin with a true view of reality... we can have any views/beliefs, whether they're true or not. That's in fact how we all begin, and it takes a long while to get right view or else enlightenment would be quick and easy.

For instance let's say a former Christian turns to Buddhism. They learn what they need to know and begin to practice, even have a teacher, and practice for 3 years (for maybe 2 years they've felt comfortable calling themselves a "Buddhist"). After this time, they still haven't dislodged their belief in a Creator. That doesn't make them any less a Buddhist! They are a Buddhist because of the path they've chosen (and their effort to walk that path), not because of their beliefs. We don't define a Buddhist by how far they've walked on the path.

It helps to take the Buddha's teachings as a working theory, but that does not automatically free us of our existing beliefs. If our existing beliefs are a source of suffering, then through the practice they will be replaced with clarity of our reality. If we cling to defining a Buddhist very specifically, to always say they must be this or must be that, this too will be a source of suffering. It's all "not sure".
  • I can't remember the Pali C sutra offhand but I read in one sutra that buddhism is towards liberation from views. This is consistent with what trungpa rinpoche taught regarding the lords of materialism: things, beliefs, and states of mind. We crave all of those things and buddhism is a path of liberation.
  • Buddhism is not there to make you believe in anything. I would actually even say that the opposite is much more "true".
    Buddhism could be guidance on the path of letting go of all beliefs. A way to the seeing, that no concept or phenomena is certain/permanent.

Do not worry about all these concepts. In the end they don't mean anything, but noise in the mind. It's a very natural 'mind made obstacle' for a very rationally thinking person.
    Many of the westerners have had it in the 'beginning'. (Me too).
  • You guys on newbuddhist ALWAYS get this wrong. Buddhists typically are Atheists.

Buddhists = Atheists. More specifically, Agnostic-Atheists or even Apatheists if you want to go that far.

Okay, so being a teenager, on what worldly experiences do you base this statement?

Also, how can you speak to the experiences of a group of people, especially those who come from diverse views and backgrounds? Moreso because the majority of us were not born into Buddhism, and were likely exposed to other "religions". Cloud makes this evident in their post.

It may be a "pet peeve" of yours, however it's no reason to make broad generalizations when you do not have intimate knowledge of the groups of which you speak.
  • @DesignTheWorld, here's a quote you might like:

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

~Buddha

As someone has pointed out above, karma is just cause and effect. Rebirth is harder to rationalise and does require a degree of faith to accept, but it's not necessary to beleive it to get the full benefits of buddhist practice. Many buddhists choose to discard the notion of rebirth altogether.

@Mindgate buddhism is an atheistic philosophy, but that doesn't mean that all buddhists are atheists.
    edited September 2011

@Mindgate buddhism is an atheistic philosophy, but that doesn't mean that all buddhists are atheists.
    I NEVER said all Buddhists were. I NEVER said that. I said most are. At least western ones and the ones that I've encountered.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

I NEVER said all Buddhists were. I NEVER said that. I said most are. At least western ones and the ones that I've encountered.
    Please do us a favor, go to your OP on the other thread you started, reread how strident your language is. Then you'll understand why you are upsetting people.
    edited September 2011
    Don't see anything wrong except for "Surprising, I know." and "Understand?" Although, when I said understand, I wasn't said in a demeaning manner. I didn't know how else to end it, so I said "Understand?" to make sure people understood the message I was trying to get across and that I made sense. I see nothing "strident" about my post except how I just said things bluntly, as how I usually speak.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Holding to and defending views is based on craving (sometimes).

"Because There is Nothing to Be Attained,
    The Bodhisattva Relying On Prajna Paramita Has
    No Obstruction in His Mind."

~heart sutra
  • Don't see anything wrong except for "Surprising, I know." and "Understand?" Although, when I said understand, I wasn't said in a demeaning manner. I didn't know how else to end it, so I said "Understand?" to make sure people understood the message I was trying to get across and that I made sense. I see nothing "strident" about my post except how I just said things bluntly, as how I usually speak.
    You came across as sarcastic and rude. You could have said "do you see what I'm trying to say?" instead of that abrupt, condescending "Understand?" Perhaps one day you will come to understand the importance of what academics call 'hedging' - the deliberate softening of the way you word things so that ill-informed opinions don't come across as fact.

But, you know, that's just me speaking bluntly. Get it?

• shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    Buddha had a Pali word for his teachings which means, come and see!

how silly would it be for him to expect you to believe in karma/rebirth upon hearing some words.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    *EDIT can we please have more than 6 minutes to fix posts lol

Buddha had a Pali word for his teachings which means, come and see

I don't think blind faith has a part in the come ---> see.

• You don't have to believe in karma, past lives, or reincarnation. Just believe in doing good in this life, and at this present moment. :)
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    You guys on newbuddhist ALWAYS get this wrong. Buddhists typically are Atheists.

Well, I'd personally say that A LOT of Buddhists are atheists, A LOT of Buddhists are Agnostic and maybe A LOT of Buddhists don't care.

My own understanding is that Buddhism is non-theistic as the Buddha refused to answer if there was or wasn't a God/dess/Creator/etc.

If we ALWAYS get it wrong, why are you still here?

In metta,
    Raven

In metta,
    Raven
    I'm so tempted to say mean things right now...
    edited September 2011
    Don't see anything wrong except for "Surprising, I know." and "Understand?" Although, when I said understand, I wasn't said in a demeaning manner. I didn't know how else to end it, so I said "Understand?" to make sure people understood the message I was trying to get across and that I made sense. I see nothing "strident" about my post except how I just said things bluntly, as how I usually speak.
    You came across as sarcastic and rude. You could have said "do you see what I'm trying to say?" instead of that abrupt, condescending "Understand?" Perhaps one day you will come to understand the importance of what academics call 'hedging' - the deliberate softening of the way you word things so that ill-informed opinions don't come across as fact.

But, you know, that's just me speaking bluntly. Get it?

Not ill-informed. It is a fact that the Buddha taught Apatheism (which could roll over into Atheism). Most Buddhists, *at least* in the West, are Apatheists or Atheists or Agnostic-Atheists. Not all, but many many.
    edited September 2011

In metta,
    Raven
    Okay, I'll say it. You pushed me. Lets say I was being a condescending asshole, or whatever you'd like to call me. Sure, lets say I'm all these negative things. Then why do you keep fueling the fire? Why the hell (for lack of another word...) are you still here? Aren't Buddhists supposed to be "compassionate, caring, and understanding?" Don't keep fueling the fire to this jerk-fest. I certainly am not caring or understanding, so that's why I so rarely call myself a Buddhist anymore and go rather with the term Agnostic-Atheist. Maybe you guys should all stop too, damnit. I'm so fed up.

@vixthenomad

And the whole Understand thing was completely taken the wrong way. You may have took it as demeaning, but I stand by the fact it wasn't meant that way. I could have said it different, but I didn't. I simply didn't. I didn't think of anything else to say at the time. I though a simple Understand? would suffice, but I guess not. Understand?
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited September 2011
    @DesignTheWorld -- My experience is that one of the nice things about Buddhist practice is that you can believe or disbelieve anything you like as long as you practice.

If a spiritual persuasion were something that agreed 100% with our views, how useful could it be? Don't worry about what you don't understand or don't agree with: If there is enough meat on the bone to get your attention, then eat that meat and let the inexplicable or disagreeable stuff fend for itself. You want to be a believer ... go ahead. You want to be a disbeliever ... go ahead. You want to count angels on the head of a pin ... go ahead. You want to become Christopher Hitchens and search out applause ... go ahead.

Gently but firmly, bring what makes sense to you into your life and nourish that. There is nothing saying you can't use your brains, but if Ph.D.'s had the real answers, we'd all be in clover. Fortunately or unfortunately, Swami Vivekananda had it right when he wrote, "The mind [he meant intellect] is a good servant and a poor master." So ... employ the servant but use practice to seek out the master. Don't get sidetracked by the ever-popular masters of intellect or emotion. Just practice and see what actually happens.

Just my take.
  • @mindgate - I think you need to seriously examine why this is so important to you that you are desperately clinging to the idea that you *have* to be right on this, and the rest of us *have* to be wrong. That's the impression I'm getting from every one of your postings. So besides coming across as a complete troll, you only seem to be interested in being right, which if you know anything at all about Buddhism ought to give you pause...

Whether I'm an atheist or anything else is a) none of your business (it has no effect on you or your practice), b) is irrelevant, and c) is nothing but a label you're putting on people, which is meaningless.

My advice is to get on with your practice. Ask questions relevant to *your* practice, and leave the rest of it for someplace else.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Okay, I'll say it. You pushed me. Lets say I was being a condescending asshole, or whatever you'd like to call me. Sure, lets say I'm all these negative things. Then why do you keep fueling the fire? Why the hell (for lack of another word...) are you still here? Aren't Buddhists supposed to be "compassionate, caring, and understanding?" Don't keep fueling the fire to this jerk-fest. I certainly am not caring or understanding, so that's why I so rarely call myself a Buddhist anymore and go rather with the term Agnostic-Atheist. Maybe you guys should all stop too, damnit. I'm so fed up.

And the whole Understand thing was completely taken the wrong way. You may have took it as demeaning, but I stand by the fact it wasn't meant that way. I could have said it different, but I didn't. I simply didn't. I didn't think of anything else to say at the time. I though a simple Understand? would suffice, but I guess not. Understand?
    I want to say two things.

First, I would like you to stop cursing and using language that is inappropriate to a religion-moral website.

Second, in my profession of school administrator, I often had to give talks to groups of people -- civic, parent, colleagues, etc. I learned one of the most important ways of speaking to have people remember the most important points I was trying to make was to be careful about "bookending". They would almost always remember most what I said at the beginning and ending of a talk. I also learned that if I alienated my audience, I lost...without exception.

• Isn't the time now that we stopped further discussion on this thread and other sub-issues that have arisen in the course of this discussion?
    edited September 2011

First, I would like you to stop cursing and using language that is inappropriate to a religion-moral website.
    I have wants too.

@mountains

Relook up the term troll. I'm afraid you are using it incorrectly.
    edited September 2011
    I'm not acting like a troll. I am merely asserted what I said and getting disgruntled at all the negativity. But now I refrain from talking about this anymore.
  • I'm not one for knowing what you call yourself. I'd rather see how you act.

• I'm not sure, but this quote of a Zen master, Línjì Yìxuán(?∼867) might do some help for you. And it's also one of my favorite Zen quotes.

""" Followers of the Way [of Chán], if you want to get the kind of understanding that accords with the Dharma, never be misled by others.

Whether you're facing inward or facing outward, whatever you meet up with, just kill it!

If you meet a buddha, kill the buddha. If you meet a patriarch, kill the patriarch. If you meet an arhat, kill the arhat. If you meet your parents, kill your parents. If you meet your kinfolk, kill your kinfolk. Then for the first time you will gain emancipation, will not be entangled with things, will pass freely anywhere you wish to go. """

• I once would've called myself an atheist (since about 2001). However, atheism per se doesn't really tell one much of anything beyond the fact that one has serious doubt about the existence of a deity or deities (or, by extension, the "supernatural"). Existentialism, communism, humanism, and a host of other philosophical, political an ethical "-isms" may posit atheism as a part of a larger view. These are ideas that may draw different kinds of conclusions from the notion of a world without god(s). But "atheism" just by itself doesn't say much of anything.

Today, I still do not find any reason to believe in the existence of supernatural beings, but MORE IMPORTANTLY than that, in light of emptiness, I think the ENTIRE QUESTION itself of whether a god exists or does not is simply irrelevant.
  • As regards karma, it is not a retributive system to punish people for "being bad" (at best "retribution" is a metaphor, and a very misleading one). Its too easy for westerners to compare this to the idea of divine punishment, but its just simple cause and effect, with no anthropomorphic ideas attached.

Karma is like creating ripples which affect the beings in the world around you. Those ripples may go out indefinitely into the future. Everything you think, say and do creates these ripples. Many of the effects can be experienced directly as well. In a sense, "I" am the karma that I create, for good or for ill.

From the understanding that "I" was never really born (previously did not exist and now do) and don't really die (previously existed and now I don't), rebirth is something that makes sense, but it isn't "me" that is being reborn, just like one wave rises and subsides and another rises up-- the same water, but a different wave.

Insofar as good or bad things occurring in one's life that might be carried over from a "previous life," I do wonder if its truly possible to refer to "my karma" or "your karma," but rather just "karma" in a general way. How do you demarcate on set of ripples from another? And how could you really know?

That's the only way I can say I find karma and rebirth helpful in my practice. That may or may not be an unorthodox perspective on the matter, but so far it works for me.
  • edited September 2011
    The same happened to me, I was an atheist (well, I cant say I'm not anymore) and I felt a bit empty, until I discovered Buddhism. Your story is a lot like mine :)

I still do not believe in any God nor do I feel the need to, Buddhism gave me a lot of answers and I'm glad it did. I do not think of it as a religion, it's more like a philosophy :P
  • I do not think of it as a religion, it's more like a philosophy :P
    Actually, in many ways, the Buddhadharma would not have been too out of place in the Hellenistic world, where "philosophy" was often coupled with certain meditative practices (the Neo-platonists, Stoics, Epicureans, etc.). These philosophies were primarily concerned with how to live. Sadly, this aspect of philosophia has been forgotten, and has been, for centuries afterward, more a purely intellectual pursuit.