Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Should Buddhist wear amulets?

2»

Comments

• I don't see what the big deal is. If a Buddhist wishes to wear an amulet, so be it. As for the precepts and whether or not amulet wearing breaks them, then according to the precepts as quoted above, I break them every time I wear deodorant or perfume. I think as the old Tibetan saying goes "Don't mention the flea on your neighbour's shoulder when there is a yak in your eye" (quoted by Lama Surya Das in "Awakening The Buddha Within") - I love that saying.

In metta,
    Raven
    It is not a big deal then. It should be the Dhammma which matters.
  • I wear one like I said. The question maybe should be, 'can I wear an amulet without being attached to it?'

If I wanted to, I could wear mine and no clothes, I often have for short periods of time around my house before or after a shower, but I could go outside like that if I wanted to as well. Do what you wish, but be mindful of what you are doing and what impact it will have on your well being.
  • I wear one like I said. The question maybe should be, 'can I wear an amulet without being attached to it?'

Maybe, it is important to consider attachment here and in any other thing we do. And if I am not mistaken, you mention mindful too. Thanks!
  • Buddhism places emphasis on path of enlightenment and enlightenment is emptiness free from the concept of emptiness or the ultimate democracy. it is pleasant towards anyone wearing amulets. Wearing amulets aint harmful to buddhists or anyone. If there is reservation for wearing amulets on buddhists, i think all clothing has to be unified to one standard outfit. Democracy is about a garden of flowers in resplendence on each and every flower on its very own, according to the Flower Ornamental Sutra :D
  • Some of you may have no need for Buddha Magic Beads.
    I used to be happy to wear mala/ prayer beads as a form of reminder and means of practice. Others carry tiny Buddhas in bags around their neck and take them out for a bit of reverential kissing from time to time.
    On occasion I will generate a mind amulet (a conjuration or visualisation) and entangle it with the reality of a certain location.
    One day I hope the Buddhas will use me as an amulet to spread the dharma.
    OM YA HA HUM
    zsc
  • Buddhism places emphasis on path of enlightenment and enlightenment is emptiness free from the concept of emptiness or the ultimate democracy. it is pleasant towards anyone wearing amulets. Wearing amulets aint harmful to buddhists or anyone. If there is reservation for wearing amulets on buddhists, i think all clothing has to be unified to one standard outfit. Democracy is about a garden of flowers in resplendence on each and every flower on its very own, according to the Flower Ornamental Sutra :D
    It is not a matter of 'should wear' or 'should not wear'. Wear it if you want. It ain't harmful to anyone. That's the thing that matters.
  • Should Buddhist wear amulets?

Only if, like Wonder Woman, they deflect bullets.

I think there should be a Buddhist bullet just for that. At least, some people here seem to think so. The bullets do not get deflected though - they can't just penetrate the body. Buddhism had come a long way!

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Should Buddhist wear amulets?

I think there should be a Buddhist bullet just for that. At least, some people here seem to think so. The bullets do not get deflected though - they can't just penetrate the body. Buddhism had come a long way!

Although I can't remember the details, there is such a legend about some kind of government representative in Thailand (an ambassador) who was saved from a bullet by a Buddhist amulet.

• I think it's hard to know a lot about physical objects and the energies they may or may not--manifest, for lack of a better word.

We haven't exactly been open to the idea (in western science, anyway) of objects being in any way affected by mental/psychological/emotional energy. For that matter, we're only just getting to the point of acknowledging that mental states have an energy component at all. So with that lack of research as a starting point, I think we can't assume that just because it hasn't been studied/proven, doesn't mean it won't be studied/proven.

My bro-in-law, a complete and utter atheist/hard-headed scientific type, visited the Wright-Patterson air museum. "Bockscar," the plane that dropped the bomb on Nagasaki, was there. At some point he went over to look at it, and spontaneously reached out to touch one of the tires. He said as soon as his fingers touched it he felt like his arm was buzzing or vibrating, very uncomfortably, and he felt physically ill. He called my sister over, and said, "Touch the wheel." She did, and yanked her hand back, asking "Why did you say that?? What was that?" To this day, they have no idea what it was--we thought of everything we could, maybe a strange mild electric shock (except it was a rubber tire, so...), but couldn't really come up with anything. I think in our hearts we all feel that it's at least possible that the sheer horror of what happened is somehow connected to that plane--even thought we'd never thought such a thing about any other object until that moment.

So...amulets? I don't know. I personally think it's not possible to say with certainty that we know all their is to know about physical objects.
    zsc
  • I think it's hard to know a lot about physical objects and the energies they may or may not--manifest, for lack of a better word.

We haven't exactly been open to the idea (in western science, anyway) of objects being in any way affected by mental/psychological/emotional energy. For that matter, we're only just getting to the point of acknowledging that mental states have an energy component at all. So with that lack of research as a starting point, I think we can't assume that just because it hasn't been studied/proven, doesn't mean it won't be studied/proven.

blockquote>

Was it Buddha who said that the vast knowledge in our world is just like the leaves in the forest? What we know is probably a leaf or two-
  • If the amulet prevents suffering, real or imagined, then I believe it to fall within the precepts. I wear a necklace given to me by my parents before my mother passed away. It is made from their wedding rings. I never take it off because that way she will always be with me. For similar reasons, I have purchasedsome simple prayer beads that I will wear to help me focus during meditation and keep me mindful of my path.
  • If the amulet prevents suffering, real or imagined, then I believe it to fall within the precepts. I wear a necklace given to me by my parents before my mother passed away. It is made from their wedding rings. I never take it off because that way she will always be with me. For similar reasons, I have purchasedsome simple prayer beads that I will wear to help me focus during meditation and keep me mindful of my path.
    I suppose it is the good thoughts that counts.
  • Its just superstition. However it might make people feel that they're protected/blessed or whatever.

The best way of benefiting self and others is to practice the Dhamma.

Dhamma should be better than amulets or holy water.

You need a bullet proof vest!
  • shoulda woulda coulda :)

I sometimes carry around some healing mineralrocks, I lay tarot, sometimes runes, I read western philosofers, eastern filosophers, I meditate, sometimes ZEN (preferred tough), sometimes this style and sometimes that style. I go to the gym, do a bit of yoga in the morning to get things started, will start a martial arts again soon, walk as much as I can instead of my bike or public transport, don't own a car,

I just go with ....the mindfull flow.

• correction...

My mindfull flow.
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    shoulda woulda coulda :)

I sometimes carry around some healing mineralrocks, I lay tarot, sometimes runes, I read western philosofers, eastern filosophers, I meditate, sometimes ZEN (preferred tough), sometimes this style and sometimes that style. I go to the gym, do a bit of yoga in the morning to get things started, will start a martial arts again soon, walk as much as I can instead of my bike or public transport, don't own a car,

Amulets made of mineral rocks would be better than normal amulets!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    correction...

My mindfull flow.
    double correction:

mindful. ;)

• footiamfootiam Veteran
    Some of you may have no need for Buddha Magic Beads.
    I used to be happy to wear mala/ prayer beads as a form of reminder and means of practice. Others carry tiny Buddhas in bags around their neck and take them out for a bit of reverential kissing from time to time.
    On occasion I will generate a mind amulet (a conjuration or visualisation) and entangle it with the reality of a certain location.
    One day I hope the Buddhas will use me as an amulet to spread the dharma.
    OM YA HA HUM
    I suppose if we are not wearing amulets, we would be wearing crosses, some lucky stones or anything!
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    I think it's hard to know a lot about physical objects and the energies they may or may not--manifest, for lack of a better word.

My bro-in-law, a complete and utter atheist/hard-headed scientific type, visited the Wright-Patterson air museum. "Bockscar," the plane that dropped the bomb on Nagasaki, was there. At some point he went over to look at it, and spontaneously reached out to touch one of the tires. He said as soon as his fingers touched it he felt like his arm was buzzing or vibrating, very uncomfortably, and he felt physically ill. He called my sister over, and said, "Touch the wheel." She did, and yanked her hand back, asking "Why did you say that?? What was that?" To this day, they have no idea what it was--we thought of everything we could, maybe a strange mild electric shock (except it was a rubber tire, so...), but couldn't really come up with anything. I think in our hearts we all feel that it's at least possible that the sheer horror of what happened is somehow connected to that plane--even thought we'd never thought such a thing about any other object until that moment.

So...amulets? I don't know. I personally think it's not possible to say with certainty that we know all their is to know about physical objects.
    I suppose if Buddha knew about that and did not talk about it, that's all just because it would not help one to attain Nirvana.
  • I_AM_THAT said:

Of course... but only with the understanding of what they are, an image of an icon and that they don't hold any special powers. I'm wearing one now...

Amulets are not Dhamma. What you say probably is.
  • shoulda woulda coulda :)

Reading this now, I think amulets made of healing mineral rocks would work wonder!