Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Your Religious Past

2»

Comments

• edited January 2012
    According to Buddha, living beings have been running around from faith to faith in their previous life and in this life, it never stopped until one become totally bliss and happy like Buddha, known as almighty in hinduism, God, Allah, Mother Mary, pure kindness from confucius :D:D:D
  • I am actually very appreciative that my family decided to leave the decision up to me when I was old enough to decide for myself what religion to follow, if any at all. I am now the most religious person in my entire family, them all being 'christian', and I use that term very loosely indeed. They had water poured on their heads when they were babies, but that is about it.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Like most, grew up Christian (Baptist). I also attended a private Catholic primary school (my parents figured any Christian education is better than secular education, even if it wasn't their denomination). When I left the religion, I was very bitter, angry, and resentful. I became a very militant atheist. Now I'm much more chill and open to interfaith dialogue. I can't particularly pinpoint any lessons or values drilled into me that I carry into Buddhism, though I'd have to say that being able to draw parallels between the Bible and the Dharma is really interesting.
  • Grew up lazy roman catholic but took it seriously from 21 to25 yo....then concentrated studies in abrahamic faiths...converted to Islam, more sufi liberal than sunni.

Still muslim, still believe in the supreme God but use Buddhism's practice to enrich my core faith. I think Buddhism adds to any belief and wish they would teach children the benefit of meditation in public schools.
  • I was agnostic for most of my life but curious about nature of our existence.
    I've being quite adventurous during high school and university. First I was into UFO, extraterrestrials. Then I got into astral travel/Gnosticism, It was quite an interesting experiences.
    I briefly touched Fa Lun Gong's book. I am glad I didn't get too deep into it. Now its teaching seems quote absurd.
    I saw some christian article. It felt nice and warm that God loving all of us. After saw the text from Bible, it changed my impression. Finally I took the refuge in the Three Jewels and became a Buddhist.
    After all these experiences, I gained valuable perspective on different ideas.
    And I think anything is possible.

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    I was born into Buddhism, Fortunate rebirth :)
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    I was born Catholic and went to a Catholic school although my parents were not devout Catholics at the time. This was at the height of the "troubles" in Northern Ireland and my school were very pro-IRA and anti-English despite being in the very centre of England. I didn't have any links to Ireland and felt English so I rebelled by declaring myself either Pagan or Hindu depending on what I thought I could get away with. Looking back it wasn't a very mature way to rebel but I was only thirteen. I moved to a better school and discovered Buddhism.

My Grandfather had been interested in Buddhism through his work with the British Celanese company which occasionally saw him travelling to Ceylon (now Sri Lanka). Despite his brother hating all things eastern from his truly horrendous time on the infamous Burma Railway I suppose I developed a liking for the images and culture before the ideas and doctrines. Since then I have gone from Tibetan Buddhism (which I left behind at the time of the FPMT/NKT unpleasantness), to Zen, Chan, Atheism and back to Tibetan Buddhism (Kagyu this time, I must have had a yearning for controversy all along).
  • My family comes from a Zen Buddhist background of Soto Shu, although I personally do more Esoteric Buddhist practices. I attended a Christian high school when I lived in America.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    My family comes from a Zen Buddhist background of Soto Shu, although I personally do more Esoteric Buddhist practices. I attended a Christian high school when I lived in America.
    Curious to know why your Buddhist parents sent you to a Christian school?
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    I was raised conservative Southern Baptist and fell from it when I entered high school. I was a strong Atheist during high school, but have since become more of an Agnostic. I have since grown to have a slight disdain for those "open-minded" Atheists who are just as dogmatic and judgmental as any fundamentalist.

Currently going through a spiritual and philosophical journey and while Buddhism does greatly intrigue me, a part of me wishes to return to Christianity, but I'm not sure if I can.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I was raised conservative Southern Baptist and fell from it when I entered high school. I was a strong Atheist during high school, but have since become more of an Agnostic. I have since grown to have a slight disdain for those "open-minded" Atheists who are just as dogmatic and judgmental as any fundamentalist.

Currently going through a spiritual and philosophical journey and while Buddhism does greatly intrigue me, a part of me wishes to return to Christianity, but I'm not sure if I can.
    I just try to look at various teachings, whether it be Buddhist or Christian or something else entirely...and look for the wisdom, no matter where it comes from.

• Raised Roman Catholic, I was captured hook line and sinker - choir boy - acolyte (altar boy) - seminary aspirant. Steeped in ritual and ceremony - engulfed in incense - bedazzeled by candles and stained glass - trained extensively in guilt and shame.

At fifteen a co-worker on a part time job after school introduced me to "The Three Pillars of Zen" by Philip Kapleau, An Introduction to Zen Buddhism" by D.T. Suzuki and "The Way of Zen" by Alan Watts. That was it for Catholicism. Grateful for the somewhat slanted spiritual influence - the tradition and ritual - altars, candles, robes, incense, temples (well, cathedrals) - I moved on - quite naturally to Buddhism.

As for the saying about taking the boy out of the church but not the church out of the boy - as a Buddhist with no ground to stand upon I must ask, "Where is the boy or the church in emptiness?"

Nowhere and all together - in equanimity....

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I was brought up in the religion of the intellect ... which can be every bit as sanctimonious and stifling as the rarefied air of the Bible Belt.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    'rarefied air'...?

odd that should follow on from IronRabbit's post & photo.....

I have lost count of the Altar boys i have seen fainting at the excessive inhalation of incense smoke.....
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited March 2012
    I was practically raised in the little country churches back in the Appalachia hollers. My mother played the guitar and I played the mandoline starting when I was 8 or 9 years old, and we had a traveling gospel singing act. My grandmother was a preacher, and she'd jump up and down and wave that Bible and "get happy" as they called it. Wonderful times.

But when I got a little older and actually thought about the beliefs, I quickly learned I could not be a part of that anymore. But to this day, it did create in me a deep conviction that religion is not a philosophy or set of beliefs or even list of rules; religion is a deep, transforming experience. I saw people get "saved" and miracles happened when they let go of a lifetime of accumulated baggage. That's also possible with Buddhism if you let it.
  • i was brought up as a methodist but found that there were many questions which christianity could not answer. When i discovered Buddhism, it was just a lightbulb going off. I was very attracted to Gelug school of Buddhism, especially the protector practices. So now i am a Dorje Shugden practitioner which brings a host of wonderful experiences!
  • I was raised Roman Catholic and also attended Catholic School from 1st through 8th grade. However I stopped going to church while in high school, when during confession the priest wanted to know how many times a would masturbate during the week. That's when I got up and left the church and never looked back. (By the way, that same priest was later removed from that church and moved to an accounting job, it was rumored that he was molesting the alter boys.)

Over the years I have lost all respect for the Roman Catholic Church and the pope. Not sure where that leadership is or what it is supposed to be doing. In my opinion; it seems like the Dalai Lama is doing more work towards world peace; while the pope sits back in his palace counting his riches.
    I was raised Roman Catholic and also attended Catholic School from 1st through 8th grade. However I stopped going to church while in high school, when during confession the priest wanted to know how many times a would masturbate during the week. That's when I got up and left the church and never looked back. (By the way, that same priest was later removed from that church and moved to an accounting job, it was rumored that he was molesting the alter boys.)

Over the years I have lost all respect for the Roman Catholic Church and the pope. Not sure where that leadership is or what it is supposed to be doing. In my opinion; it seems like the Dalai Lama is doing more work towards world peace; while the pope sits back in his palace counting his riches.
    I had a somewhat similar situation...I was probably 17 and went to Confession for masturbation, and the priest actually said (direct quote), "Next time you get the urge, take a piss and forget about it." That was the last time I ever went to Confession.

i was brought up as a methodist but found that there were many questions which christianity could not answer. When i discovered Buddhism, it was just a lightbulb going off. I was very attracted to Gelug school of Buddhism, especially the protector practices. So now i am a Dorje Shugden practitioner which brings a host of wonderful experiences!
    Cool, but, you seem to imply that now you have all the answers?
  • Uh... I was a Jehovahs witness... I am having a really hard time getting over my resentment. I am still having to pretend to be one :( I have to go there with my family. If they found out I was even considering buddhism I wouldn't be talked to when I go. It is really itching at me.
  • One time when I accompanied my mother to the hospital with hours of waiting time I just used the opportunity to meditate (since it is not obvious on the outside)

This is a great thread by the ways, thanks for initiating it.
  • My father was and still is a passive Christian .... he never encouraged me to be religious, but was and still is a very gentle creature, who sometimes wont close a door until he is sure it is free of little creatures! My mother is, as she calls herself an antagonistic agnostic, with slight Jewish, Kabbalah tendencies ..... we did however / still do have a Buddha made of a mixture of metals, from some historic tribe, sat in my parents Bedroom .... so maybee my Love of Buddhism was always meant to be ^.^ ..... Buddhism is just me .... i couldnt be any other religion, with such natural ease and understanding x
  • FireSongFireSong Explorer
    I was raised Baptist, and was very much an active part of the church until I was around fourteen when my youth pastor cussed me out. After that, I found Wicca, which over the course of the last ten or so years evolved into what I can only call Pantheistic Witchcraft. That, however, is still not quite what I feel calls my spirit, so I've recently taken to studying Buddhism. What little (on the whole) I've applied to my life has already very much so helped me, so I intend to continue with my studies.
    I was raised Baptist, and was very much an active part of the church until I was around fourteen when my youth pastor cussed me out.
    Care to share what happened there?? :-/
  • FireSongFireSong Explorer
    edited May 2012
    Care to share what happened there?? :-/
    I asked "too many f-ing questions." It's comical to me now. I must have been a bit of a pill. :D