Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sick of Zen

TalismanTalisman Veteran
edited September 2011 in Philosophy
Not so much the history or focus upon meditation. I'm sick of Zen because there is no structure. There are no answers. It's all "go with the flow," "stop searching for an answer," "you are already enlightened you just don't know it yet." None of that makes any sense to me. I understand where they're coming from, but when you tell a person that "there is no path," that defeats the entire purpose of FOLLOWING A PATH.

I don't trust this tradition any longer. Perhaps I have not met the right kind of teachers or practitioners. In any case, in my opinion delegating the monumental task of achieiving self-attained awakening and liberation to some "non-issue" or "mental concept" completely undermines the purpose of taking refuge in the Buddha. If the Buddha was no different than any other man, why pay any attention to the teachings at all. You might as well just go about your life, doing what you were doing, when you want, what you want, how you want.

I literally had a master with Dharma trasmission from the D.T. Suzuki lineage tell me that "there is no Dukkha." That is literally the opposite of what the Buddha taught!

Not to mention the sutras as well. The mahayana sutras are, for the most part, very beautifully written, and the characters and concepts are interesting. But once again, there is no structure. And it seems like one of the themes is to explicitly deny the validity of the Sravaka path while praising the Bodhisattva path. The Buddha taught the Sravaka path. This just does not sit well with me.

In my opinion, I don't even think the Bodhisattva path could ever be taught. That's the whole point! The Bodhisattva discovers and realizes the path through their own efforts, without the help of any other. The Buddha's enlightnement is called self-attained for a reason. He was on his own, without instruction regarding the 3 characterisitcs or 4 noble truths or 12 nidanas. He discovered these truths for himself, by himself and because he had personally exerted himself toward perfection of faculty and understanding, he was capable of instructing others in a way that exeeds all others. He is the self-mastered, self-taught, self-perfected, self-awoken, self-liberated.

I'm not completely writing Zen off, especially since zazen is a comfortable form of mediation for me. However, the more I interact with other zen practitioners and become more aquainted with contemporary teachings and methods, the less I trust that this tradition continues to uphold the virtues of the true path to liberation. Even when other teachers and students describe the purpose and practice of meditation, it doesn't resonate with me any more.

Has anyone else felt disenchanted with Zen or any other tradition in this way before?
Invincible_summer

Comments

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    "If the Buddha was no different than any other man, why pay any attention to the teachings at all. You might as well just go about your life, doing what you were doing, when you want, what you want, how you want."

Right. The Buddha was no different than any other man. He wasn't magic, or anything different. Buddhism isn't about being different or special. Its about being perfectly fine where you are now. Its a strange concept to grasp, and if it wasn't so hard to truly understand then we'd all be enlightened. The Buddha was just fine with everything. He still felt emotions, happiness, sadness, but that was okay. Bad things still happened to him, but that was okay. He enjoyed every minute because everything was okay.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited September 2011
    If dukkha were existent then the self would also. The only possibility of release is that dukkha is essenceless. Enlightenment is simple. So simple that we cannot live it. It takes ages for the habit of grasping to wear out and that is what all this 'sitting' is about. It is a longshot for even a moment of non-grasping but that is what we are going for. In the mean time meditation has benefits in the here and now.

There are three levels of practice traditionally in the mahayana. Practicing to live a better life. Practicing to escape the wheel of rebirths. And practice to the enlightenment of all beings.

The sravaka path is a noble path as said in Khenpo Gyamptso Tsultrim Rinpoches book progressive stages of meditation on emptiness. The different views on emptiness come about for different levels of practice. It is not wrong to see the five skhandas as empty.

I recommend that book as a read for you since you are longing for structure. Five views on emptiness are spelled out for you in that text. The sravaka is included. It is a wonderful thing to become a hearer. Most of us are actually not attained that level.
  • I love your logic, Talisman! You're running into what Stephen Batchelor reported from his experience as a Zen monk. There wasn't much in the way of teachings, and when he had questions, his roshi would just tell him to sit. Meditation will reveal all.

So, if that doesn't work for you, try a different Buddhist tradition. Or study on your own for awhile. No harm in that. One isn't bound for life to one's first choice in Buddhism. You tried Zen, it didn't work out. It wasn't a good fit. Maybe another tradition, or home study for awhile, will be a better fit.
    Invincible_summer
  • Has anyone else felt disenchanted with Zen or any other tradition in this way before?

Yes, quite frequently. But I try not to worry about it any more. Zen makes no sense and perfect sense at the same time. All contradiction and no contradiction. It doesn't seem to be something that should be thought about. I exhausted myself trying to figure it out. My main issue was (and still is) subjectivity. Anyway, most days now I prefer to just float downstream. I try not to figure out what makes gravity or the origin of water.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited September 2011
    My teacher says (said IIRC) she is not even explaining anything about buddhism. She is just giving a 'taste' that will encourage her students to practice.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Being sick of Zen is a common thing. I for one know how it feels.
    The funny thing is that these feelings are embraced in zen-practice, like anything else.
    They probably call it Great Doubt or something and feel happy for you. Haha.

Stick to Therevada if that feels better.
    But Therevada can make people sick too, I’m sure.

And yes, I’m with Mindgate. The Buddha that you worship (as it seems) is a huge projection.
    We are who we are, we will never match this projection of our religious fantasies.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Trungpa Rinpoche calls this stage 'hot boredom'... which you have to go through. You are trying to find an out. Trying to see how buddhism can get you off the dot. And if it doesn't your going to do something better.

If you keep practicing with it (this happens in theravada too though you might resonate better with that?)... If you keep practicing with that it becomes cool boredom. Boredom where you are like a lake. People appreciate a lake for what it is. It does not have to do or be something.

This boredom is necessary to find 'buddhism without credentials' and without hope or fear. The boredom is antidote to spiritual materialism.
  • I don't worship the Buddha, but I do honor and respect that which he attained. I take refuge in the knowledge that the Buddha was real, that he in fact did attain perfect self-awakening and liberative insight. I have faith that he was the teacher to excel all teachers of gods and men. It is with this conviction that I go to the Dharma and the Sangha for refuge as well.

In my opinion, Gotama was a man, but the Buddha was not.
    Invincible_summer
  • @jeffrey

I understand where you are coming from. I'm not so much "hot" or "cool," I'm just talking about my disenchantment with zen. I do appreciate your input.
  • This is turning into an interesting thread about boredom. I didn't realize it was so widespread. (Hey! It's not just me! ;) ) This is great.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited September 2011
    The structure of Zen is in the actual practice, not in thinking about stuff. :) For example, if you attend a zen monastery for retreat or something, everything is VERY structured.

>I literally had a master with Dharma trasmission from the D.T. Suzuki lineage tell me that "there is no Dukkha." That is literally the opposite of what the Buddha taught!

That is according to ultimate reality. People have a hard time with Zen sometimes when they can't differentiate between conventional truth and absolute truth. Zen only speaks of the absolute, the truth of emptiness. He is saying the same thing as the Buddha said. Did the Buddha say there is dukkha in emptiness? No, the Buddha said there is no dukkha in emptiness. There is no dukkha in emptiness! Since everything is inherently emptiness, how can there be dukkha, according to the absolute? There can't be! However, zen does not deny that you mind makes dukkha, which is the whole point of the practice but the truth of it does not come from words and ideas, it only comes from the actual practice. Zen appears to have contradictions, but when you understand that there is conventional truth and absolute truth, there are no more contradictions.

>However, the more I interact with other zen practitioners and become more aquainted with contemporary teachings and methods, the less I trust that this tradition continues to uphold the virtues of the true path to liberation.

Don't mistake the practitioners for the practice, they aren't the same thing. :) The Buddha himself practiced Zen sitting under the tree. :)
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    After a while of practising Zen, I kind of became sick of it too. I craved structure, goals, something to direct my feelings of devotion to, something that would give me explanations of everything. So I veered towards Tibetan Buddhism and enjoyed it for a while. Until I became overwhelmed by it. It became too complicated and cluttered. So now I am re-discovering zazen and the simplicity of Zen.
  • zen_worldzen_world Veteran
    edited September 2011
    You are looking for structure and answers, or a goal because you are trying to feel the void inside you. This void is real! Some try to fill it with jobs, marriage, hobbies etc. And some, like us, try to fill it with religion/spirituality.
    You want progress in your life, so you feel satisfied, and so your void is filled.

The reason you have the void is because it is your true nature, emptiness.
    Actually, the more you progress, the more you will notice the emptiness/void. So your doubt will rise to your practice because the void in you become more and more appearent and it is not pleasent. So you are doing fine actually. The problem is not Zen or any other tradition, the problem is the void in you. Notice that.

Everything is going to be okay...

See, emptiness is not bad. It is actually a gift, a miracle It means you can fill it with anything you want when you ready. You need to learn how...
    The glass is empty...Fill it with wine, coke, you name it.

• Talisman, all the contradictions and "non-answers" in Zen have a crucial purpose which doesn't become crystal clear until one has practiced for a very long time. There are unskillful ways of presentation, though, which can be maddening, frustrating, and unhelpful to the student. To have to "go with the flow" of discouragement and distrust to the extent that one leaves the practice, is not helpful.

May I ask (apologies - I'm new here), are you working with a teacher on a regular basis, or is your experience primarily with books? A good teacher will take all of this drive and energy that you have (in it's current mask of frustration) and direct it in a skillful way that will give you more than enough structure and "path".

gassho,
    Daemyo

• I don't really 'get' Zen either. I appreciate its aesthetics, but some (most) of the teachings are beyond me.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Zen might not be for you :)
  • Read some Sheng Yen. He'll whip you into shape. None of this "just go with the flow" stock answer stuff.

Although, truth be told, I don't really recall any of the Zen material I've read go into that sort of stuff. That's more a sort of Dao-like idea more in the line of western popularizers.

I've skimmed over things like that in popular Zen literature, but not in actual Chan or Zen writings like Huang Po, Bodhidharma, countless koans, Dogen, or more modern material such as Katagiri, David Loy, John Daido Loori, Taigen Dan Leighton, Shohaku Okumura. No light weight "just go with the flow" here.

Zen is hard work and requires a concentrated effort and requires discipline. "Stop searching" be damned. There is a time for that, but there is a time for self-discipline as well. It annoys me to no end for unthinking zennies to say "Don't cling to the raft" when it has not occurred to them that first one must get ON the raft to begin with. Its sheer laziness for people to think enlightenment is just going to show up without doing anything. Its a mis-application of a very important Zen doctrine I think. There is a time for "letting go of the raft," but not prematurely (the Diamond Sutra is a dialogue that takes place between the Buddha and Subhuti, not the Buddha and some novice).

It is true, IN A CERTAIN SENSE, that there is no dukkha. But just parroting Nagarjuna or the Diamond Sutra is no help. One must realise it (I haven't!). The dosctrine of the two truths must be handled carefully, otherwise its all unskillfully taught and handled anyway.

As far as wanting a systematic structure to go by, I don't think Buddhism has evry really had that anyway. You can't approach the sutras like you would the Bible-- they don't even *work* the same way the Bible does.

Unfortunately, where I currently live, and because of my work hours, being part of a sangha is not possible for me. So I don't have any face-to-face experience with fellow zennies. So through lots of reading and research, I've had to learn through reading, and creating a structure for myself.

Certain sutras and other classic writings (not necessarily Zen material) are a part of my personal study, including quite a lot of commentary on Dogen. In the meantime, I read a lot of Sheng Yen to keep myself grounded in some basic discipline.

"go with the flow," "stop searching for an answer," "you are already enlightened you just don't know it yet." is an easy way of rationalizing the idea "I don't want to make the effort to practice so I'm going to invent some idea so that I don't have to". Not very skillful. :)
  • Exactly. "No dependence on letters and words" does not mean one refuses to USE letters and words. That's just an cheap excuse for laziness. There's a time for words, and there's a time to go beyond words.
  • But don't you think that letting go in it's most profound way is what it's all about? Isn't Buddhism itself of the mind? I'm not studied in this but I think that at some point one lets go of even Buddhism. Then Buddhism becomes what we are and not what we do or think. I accept that zen can be years of hard work and as easy as washing the dishes. IMHO.
  • Yes, "letting go" is, but there is a time for it. Just parroting a phrase at the wrong place at the wrong time is merely unskilful, even if its "true."

As I mentioned before, I think its significant that the Buddha addresses Subhuti, an advanced practitioner (not a novice!) in the Diamond Sutra. Ultimately its ALL just skilful means, the Buddha, the Four Noble Truths, everything. But parroting enlightened masters who realised this in their own lives is pointless and ultimately unskillful.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    I love Zen precisely because it shuts up and gets out of the way.

I don't want long answers and philosophies. I just want a road sign. If I don't understand the sign - well then I suppose I'll be passing it again soon for another look. :)
  • Exactly Lincoln I think that's the reason i'm drawn to Zen Simplicity.
  • What is Zen? Is it a thing to be possessed? What is practice? There seems to be so many types of practice, how does one choose what to practice? Isn't just being yourself without all the doubt about life the point of Buddhism? Everyone has advice on what Zen really IS, but is that really practice? I can see how one would become "sick" of something that makes no sense and tells it followers to do this an that so that it is supposed to help the person be better. Why do we have to be better than what we really are?
  • I must say that I was very fortunate to start my "real" Zen studies with teachings of Daido Loori Roshi, who came up with a very solid structure of Zen training at his monastery.
    http://mro.org/zmm/training/eightgates.php
  • When you're tired of Zen, you're tired of life.

:coffee:

(Probably.)
  • I must say that I was very fortunate to start my "real" Zen studies with teachings of Daido Loori Roshi, who came up with a very solid structure of Zen training at his monastery.
    I read the url link you provided. This Roshi changed the original eight fold path of the Buddha, to a modern "westernized" "eight gates of Zen". What if every teacher changed the original eight fold path to what they thought would communicate to the western mind? Actually it seems that is what really happens. There are as many interpretations of Zen as there are people who redefine original Buddhist concepts. They seen to do that to make it easier for westerners to understand what the Buddha really meant. But doesn't that create a tremendous amount of varied teaching ( and then confusion ) on some of the most basic tenets of Buddhist thought?

• When you're tired of Zen, you're tired of life.
    (Probably.)
    Because Zen is so ill defined in the west, the opposite of what you say might be more true. "When your tired of Zen, you're INTERESTED in life". :)
  • Because Zen is so ill defined in the west, the opposite of what you say might be more true. "When your tired of Zen, you're INTERESTED in life". :)
    Now THAT'S Zen! :lol:
  • I read the url link you provided. This Roshi changed the original eight fold path of the Buddha, to a modern "westernized" "eight gates of Zen".

I've read John Daido Loori's booksand listened to some of his dharma talks-- I'd say he's pretty hardcore. He may have helped to communicate Zen to westerners to a great degree, but he's not one to water down actual practice. The "Eight Gates" is a program for Zen training, but it isn't a substitute for the Eightfold Path. Definitely no lightweight, Loori started one of the better Soto Zen monasteries in the US.

• I read the url link you provided. This Roshi changed the original eight fold path of the Buddha, to a modern "westernized" "eight gates of Zen". What if every teacher changed the original eight fold path to what they thought would communicate to the western mind? Actually it seems that is what really happens. There are as many interpretations of Zen as there are people who redefine original Buddhist concepts. They seen to do that to make it easier for westerners to understand what the Buddha really meant. But doesn't that create a tremendous amount of varied teaching ( and then confusion ) on some of the most basic tenets of Buddhist thought?

It's not about the eighfold path the question was really about the structure in Zen. As for "making it easy for western students to understand Buddhism" argument I think the whole thing started as soon as the first commentary on a sutra appeared long time ago. As long as Buddhism moved from one place to another it had to be adapted to the local culture and explained to the locals in a language they can understand the best.

• wonderingwondering Veteran
    edited September 2011

There are so many people who think that there is no structure in Zen. As soon as it is conceived as some perfected structure, you loose the essence of freedom that Buddhism is supposed to provide. That seems to be the great conflict with Zen. Why do most Zen folk always say one has to sit Zazen, and have a teacher? Isn't the Buddha nature in all of us human beings? Maybe the Buddha never taught you HAD to do this or that. It was only those who needed a religious leader that turned his teaching into rules, and strict observance. Didn't he give up all the ascetic practices and teach the middle way?

• You may find some resources for thinking through these matter at the blog Speculative non-Buddhism. For instance, see the piece called "Buddhists of Oz?"

http://speculativenonbuddhism.wordpress.com/
  • edited September 2011

There are so many people who think that there is no structure in Zen. As soon as it is conceived as some perfected structure, you loose the essence of freedom that Buddhism is supposed to provide. That seems to be the great conflict with Zen. Why do most Zen folk always say one has to sit Zazen, and have a teacher? Isn't the Buddha nature in all of us human beings? Maybe the Buddha never taught you HAD to do this or that. It was only those who needed a religious leader that turned his teaching into rules, and strict observance. Didn't he give up all the ascetic practices and teach the middle way?

I'd say that Zen is very practical and nobody says that it's perfect. Indeed nothing can ever be perfect as it's always changing.

As for zazen - there's no better way of calming one's mind and yet keeping fully alert than zazen type meditation. Buddha did it himself. Yes you're correct – he chose a middle way between ascetism and indulgence. I think to this day Zen is advocating the same. You don't have to give up your job or your family to practice it. Your family and your job is the practice.

As for the Buddha nature in everyone – yes it's there but one must realize. There's nothing in this life that comes by itself…one must apply some effort.

May be Buddha didn't teach those thing, may be Buddha didn't even exist, you don't have to believe in anything, but what's important is that there's a very practical teaching that helps people to this day, even if only a small number of them.
  • A relevant koan:

A monk had been at Fayan's monastery for some time, but had never gone to see the master for an interview. Fayan asked why. The monk said, “Didn't you know that when I was with Ch'ing Lin's place I had an entry?”

Fayan said, “Try to recall it for me.”

The monk said “I asked, 'What is Buddha?' and Lin said, 'The Fire God comes for fire.'”

Fayan said, “Good words, but I'm afraid you misunderstood. Can you say something more for me?”

The monk said, “The Fire God is in the province of fire; he is seeking fire with fire. Likewise I am Buddha, yet I went on searching for Buddha.”

Fayan said, “Sure enough, you have misunderstood it.”

The monk became angry and left the monastery. But once he was on the road and had cooled down a little, he had second thoughts. He knew that Fayan was a highly respected teacher and so he decided to return to the monastery. I think this was a very important moment – the moment when he cooled down and decided to go back to the monastery. He had to let go of his pride and sense of accomplishment, but his desire to learn the truth was strong so he turned back and called on Fayan again.

Fayan said, “Just ask me and I'll answer you.”

The monk asked his question again, “What is Buddha?” and Fayan answered, “The Fire God comes looking for fire.”

At these words the monk was greatly enlightened.

What is he difference? The monk was simply parroting words, and had a purely intellectual understanding of "The fire god comes looking for fire." This is why Fayan said he misunderstood it. But then when Fayan says the same words later, the monk has an awakening. What is the difference? The difference lies beyond the words themselves. The monk now realized existentially that he was a Buddha searching for Buddha.

Just saying "I am a Buddha" is not the same thing as actualizing it.

edited September 2011
    Isn't just being yourself without all the doubt about life the point of Buddhism?
    I would say no because yourself naturally wants to have and cling to pleasantness and naturally wants to avoid and run away from unpleasantness, which is by definition samsara.

>Why do most Zen folk always say one has to sit Zazen, and have a teacher?

Because that is how Zen is properly practiced.

>Didn't he give up all the ascetic practices and teach the middle way?

Yes he did. Sitting zazen, following the precepts, having a teacher, etc. IS the middle way.

• There are so many people who think that there is no structure in Zen. As soon as it is conceived as some perfected structure, you loose the essence of freedom that Buddhism is supposed to provide. That seems to be the great conflict with Zen. Why do most Zen folk always say one has to sit Zazen, and have a teacher? Isn't the Buddha nature in all of us human beings? Maybe the Buddha never taught you HAD to do this or that. It was only those who needed a religious leader that turned his teaching into rules, and strict observance. Didn't he give up all the ascetic practices and teach the middle way?

but what's important is that there's a very practical teaching that helps people to this day, even if only a small number of them.
    Helps them how? This is the same self-help Buddhism that has captured the western mind. Maybe it is not about helping people be a better person. Maybe it just happened, and the egotistic, self-centered western mind who believes in a personal self has turned all the teaching into personal benefit teaching. Aren't you supposed to lay down the teaching and practice, once you reach the other shore? Buddhism could just be one of thousands of tools to sail on the rough waters of life until one matures enough to discard the raft?

• Isn't just being yourself without all the doubt about life the point of Buddhism?
    I would say no because yourself naturally wants to have and cling to pleasantness and naturally wants to avoid and run away from unpleasantness, which is by definition samsara.

Yes he did. Sitting zazen, following the precepts, having a teacher, etc. IS the middle way.
    Well of course you would give me or others room to disagree with this interpretation. :) For me it is not so simple as believing "Sitting zazen, following the precepts, having a teacher, etc. IS the middle way. " The reason is because there are thousands of different manifestations of Buddhist practice. None of them are the best, or the "correct" method. They just ARE. It is interesting to talk with Jehovah Witness people who have every answer to questions you ask them, and they come straight from the Bible. WOW! Once we find closure to our dilemmas, what ever method that cures us becomes our cause. :)

• What is he difference? The monk was simply parroting words, and had a purely intellectual understanding of "The fire god comes looking for fire." This is why Fayan said he misunderstood it. But then when Fayan says the same words later, the monk has an awakening. What is the difference? The difference lies beyond the words themselves. The monk now realized existentially that he was a Buddha searching for Buddha.

Just saying "I am a Buddha" is not the same thing as actualizing it.

There are many ways for a person to actualize their life and not all of them Buddhist. That is why there is Hinduism, Sufism, Christianity, etc..... Maybe what is really important is that one finds a group of people that agrees with what one believes to be true. Then the actualization process can unfold. When believing that one's religion is the only way to human actualization, it causes great division between people, and often ends up in violence. What a shame.

• riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Who is asserting that "believing that one's religion is the only way"? I'm addressing the issue of Zen specifically, not religion in general.
  • I appreciate the feedback people have given to my OP. It helped me put some things into perspective. Thanks everyone.
    Isn't just being yourself without all the doubt about life the point of Buddhism?

Well of course you would give me or others room to disagree with this interpretation. :) For me it is not so simple as believing "Sitting zazen, following the precepts, having a teacher, etc. IS the middle way. " The reason is because there are thousands of different manifestations of Buddhist practice. None of them are the best, or the "correct" method. They just ARE. It is interesting to talk with Jehovah Witness people who have every answer to questions you ask them, and they come straight from the Bible. WOW! Once we find closure to our dilemmas, what ever method that cures us becomes our cause. :)

Of course people can disagree with it. People can believe whatever they want. However, to believe that Zen practice is "whatever you want" is simply not correct. Zen practice is Zen practice and it involves doing zazen, following the precepts and having a teacher, etc. If you're not doing those things then you are not doing Zen practice, you're doing some other thing. :)

• Helps them how? This is the same self-help Buddhism that has captured the western mind. Maybe it is not about helping people be a better person. Maybe it just happened, and the egotistic, self-centered western mind who believes in a personal self has turned all the teaching into personal benefit teaching. Aren't you supposed to lay down the teaching and practice, once you reach the other shore? Buddhism could just be one of thousands of tools to sail on the rough waters of life until one matures enough to discard the raft?

I probably shouldn't say things for other people :). It does help me and I believe it also helps people around me, my family, for example. But I'm pretty sure it was always about the "self". Look at the example of Buddha. He was looking for the answers to his own questions and for himself. He didn't do it for anybody else he had a very "selfish" goal to help only himself.. Buddhism is about saving yourself first and then helping others or helping others and saving yourself in the process :) depending on how you look at things. We're all connected here.

Yes you can get rid of the raft, but first you have to at least get on that raft and take some effort to reach the other shore.

Yes you're right Buddhism that it's just another tool. You can do whatever you want with your life, but if you have doubts and questions about your self nature and such other things, Buddhism may offer you answers. But it's up to you to find it out.

• I like the "KISS" method of Buddhism... Life and your practice can be this easy... IMO

• johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    I am currently reading Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki and he points out what Zen is and what it is not... If this book is credible (And I believe it is without doubt) then by his account I agree that Zazen is necessary to "practice" Zen but from what I've read so far (and skimmed through the rest) he does not implicitely state that a teacher is necessary to "practice" zen. All one needs is oneself and their own mind... I can agree that a teacher would be beneficial but I would dissagree that if you do not have a teacher you cannot claim to be "practicing" Zen.

I placed perenthesis' around practice because from what I understand of Zen is that one does not practice Zen so much as one simply is Zen. To practice something implies to seek an outcome that one feels they cannot currently reach, and Zen, I believe, is not about achieving anything or seeking any kind of outcome. It is simply to express our true nature... To simply be...

Specifically to the OP, it is possible you are sick of Zen because you are expecting to achieve something. That is not the purpose of Zen. Zen is the opposite... Non-achievement... To want to achieve something, you attach to some result. Buddhism is about letting go of attachments. Zen seems a perfect "practice" to me in learning through experience of what it means to truely let go of the desire for expected results... The desire for anything and just simply being... Breathing... Sitting... Being in this moment... Now...

Well, I'm just guessing here, most of my study to date has been around Therevada and am just now revisiting Zen with a deeper understanding and appreciation for its simplicity. (Note: not implying it is by any means easy)
  • Within these replies there is quite a variety of what Zen Buddhism is or entails. For instance "Alan Watts" wrote a book called "The Way of Zen", and though he talks about meditation ( of which most all Hindu's practice and the Buddha came from a Hindu background ) he doesn't stress the idea of sitting "Zazen" ( of which there is many definitions of that word, some of which don't exclusively mean sitting, but everything one does in their life ) and has done extensive studying of the original beginnings of Buddhism of which he finds many similarities to Taoism.
    The OP speaks of being "Sick of Zen". If this gulf exists in the understanding of Zen Buddhism one can understand why one would become sick of it. :) I am not sure of how many different schools of Buddhism there are, but it is a whole bunch. Which makes finding out what Buddhism really is quite difficult. Maybe Buddhism is going through a phase of redefining what it is for the western mind.
    If what Buddhism comes down to is following what a special school of Buddhism says it is, it somehow seems that the whole thing is subject to much debate, and frustration in knowing what the Buddha originally taught.
  • If what Buddhism comes down to is following what a special school of Buddhism says it is, it somehow seems that the whole thing is subject to much debate, and frustration in knowing what the Buddha originally taught.
    I wouldn't confuse the many schools of Buddhism with something like the hundreds (thousands?) of Christian denominations, many of which try to claim their denomination is THE church. The different schools of Buddhism are different approaches to the same thing, but not hung up on "the historical Buddha" in the same way many churches are hung up on "the historical Jesus."

All the schools of Buddhism are skilful means to awakening. They all have in common the Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path. The rest is just different ways of understanding and practicing this, which is, to a large degree, shaped by the culture with which it contacts.

Think of the different schools of Buddhism as playing a particular melody, but some play that melody using a flute, others a violin, and others a trumpet. Different instruments, but the same melody, and they all play together, but each with their own particular sound.
  • I'm with Mountains, I don't "get" Zen, precisely because of what people here describe as Zen being mostly about sitting, or one doesn't "do" Zen, one "is" Zen, and so forth. Doesn't one need a basic understanding of the Buddha's teachings, at the very least? The 4 Noble Truths, etc.? An explanation of what it is to "be" Zen? Or is one supposed to somehow arrive at all that mysteriously via meditation? Or is knowing the basic tenets of Buddhism irrelevant in Zen, the main thing is insight into the workings of one's own mind via meditation? What is Buddhism without the teachings of the Buddha? Is Zen a radical type of Buddhism that reduces everything to meditation? Just trying to understand...

From what I understand of the different Chan schools (from which Zen evolved), they offer plenty of teachings and guidance to students of various sorts, not limited to instruction and guidance in meditation.
    Invincible_summer
  • That is a great post "riverflow". I WILL contemplate on your description. What do you do when you encounter a Buddhist that tries to convince you that there school or practice is the right and true way? That has been bothering me for quite awhile. People who insist that they have THE REAL understanding of Buddhism and are totally inflexible? It bothers me that some people seem to actually PUISH their own understandings on to other people. It has kinda of turned me off to Buddhism in general, because of these dogmatic approaches. I guess I could say "I am sick of Buddhism" and all religious righteousness.
  • What do you do when you encounter a Buddhist that tries to convince you that there school or practice is the right and true way?
    I haven't... yet. No one can force you to follow one particular school or practice, with the claim that their school is the "correct" one anyway. If I were in such a situation, I'd just walk away. I don't like salesmen.