Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Save Troy Davis! Urgent!

MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
edited September 2011 in Buddhism Today
In the 80's, a police officer was killed. 9 people claimed they saw Troy Davis commit the murder. Now, years later, 7 of the 9 have taken back what they said (some of them even claiming police coercion!). There is little to NO physical evidence that Troy is the killer. He is sentenced to be executed on the 21st. Today (Monday), Georgia was supposed to decide if there would be clemency for Troy, but they still have not made a decision. Tomorrow will likely be the day. Within the next hours, we need as many people to sign this petition and make an effort to show Georgia that we do not want this most likely innocent man KILLED. So far, nearly 1 MILLION people have signed the petition. Read more and sign here:

http://takeaction.amnestyusa.org/siteapps/advocacy/ActionItem.aspx?c=6oJCLQPAJiJUG&b=6645049&aid=516510

Hopefully Lincoln won't mind the link. I'd ask, but its urgent. I should have made this earlier, but I just found out that they haven't made a decision yet. So, c'mon! Fight for liberty, Peace!

Comments

• LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    Signed.
  • HondenHonden Dallas, TX Veteran
    Signed.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    An hour ago... they denied his plea for clemency. Troy Davis is set for execution tomorrow.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Signed.
    edited September 2011
    Keep signing! We still have time. Join us in calling on the Board to reconsider its decision, and on the Chatham County (Savannah) District Attorney Larry Chisolm to do the right thing. They have until the final moments before Troy's scheduled execution to put the brakes on this runaway justice system.
    edited September 2011
    Or, if any of you feel inclined to call Georgia's governor's office, PM me for their number. Or the DA.

New petition: (edited/changed by request) http://action.naacp.org/page/s/petition-larry-chisolm
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    signed
  • signed
    Its so sad... hopefully the DA will reconsider. He is Troy's only chance.
    edited September 2011
    Wait, wait, I made a mistake when I asked a mod to close this! Troy WAS NOT killed.

US SUPREME COURT STOPPED IT! For now. YAY. He was supposed to have been murdered 28 minutes ago. BUT ITS BEEN STOPPED.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    I deleted your premature flagging, not that I was gonna close anything anyway. :p
  • What do ya know. We raised our voices and saw a result. That's empowering. Now let's hope that the supreme court issues a stay of execution. Need more mercy in this world. It's kind of revolting.
  • Just to add: I don't think he should be pardoned, but I do believe there should be no execution. If there is any kind of doubt, then there should never be execution. Although, I don't believe in execution at all.
    Just to add: I don't think he should be pardoned, but I do believe there should be no execution. If there is any kind of doubt, then there should never be execution. Although, I don't believe in execution at all.
    I agree.
    edited September 2011
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    If he is actually innocent, he won't suffer. That is good. :)
    edited September 2011
    If he is actually innocent, he won't suffer. That is good. :)
    But his family is suffering. His death has achieved nothing. The officer is still dead and his family is still distraught. It has not brought him back, nor has it or will it give the family peace. It has just caused more suffering in the world. It has done nothing. All I can think of is this mans lifeless body and his crying family, and the million other people who were hoping for the best.

If anything good comes out of this, it will be the movement to stop the death penalty.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    That is true, but no one can change what happened. It's already past. Wanting it to not have happened to him, after it's already happened to him, only makes more suffering.
    edited September 2011
    War was endemic in the Buddha’s age, ravaging northeast India again and again. Violence, the Buddha taught, always leads to more violence:

Although kings and their ministers sought his council, the Buddha offered no grand political vision. He was powerless to stop the killing and the fighting. Even the men, women, and children of his former kingdom were massacred by a marauding king, forced into pits and trampled by elephants.

It was said that the Buddha received the news in silence.

Hundreds of them killed. So that day the Buddha was sad. Buddha is human being. So he acted like a human being. So sometimes he also you see failed. He failed to perform miracle. The Buddha failed, but we, as the Buddha, fail constantly, and part of our suffering is our failure, our recognition of our failure.
  • Thanks for bringing this issue to my attention, MG. I just read an article about it in the NY times today, and there was nothing about his being executed. The article must've gone to press before that happened. The article said most of the witnesses in the original trial eventually recanted, and there was extremely flimsy and limited physical evidence. You're not supposed to condemn someone to death on flimsy evidence. This is sickening.
  • http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/troy-davis-execution-sparks-anti-death-penalty-backlash-protests/2011/09/22/gIQAQawOoK_story.html
    (“If one of our fellow citizens can be executed with so much doubt surrounding his guilt, then the death penalty system in our country is unjust and outdated,”)
  • Wow--very good, 300hj! T.Davis' death will not have been in vain (unjust though it was) if it sparks a successful movement to do away with the death penalty, and if it exposes some of the gross injustices in the so-called "justice" system.

Welcome to NB, btw. :)
  • “If one of our fellow citizens can be executed with so much doubt surrounding his guilt, then the death penalty system in our country is unjust and outdated”
    Y'think?? And let's not even get into the imprisonment of foreign nationals at Guantanamo Bay without carges, trial, access to lawyers, etc, etc, etc.

It's not the America that I grew up in, that's for sure. More like an Orwellian nightmare.