Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Scary image and shock awakening whilst meditatibg

edited September 2011 in Meditation
Can I just ask if anyone else has seen disturbing images whilst meditating? I was just meditating, all fine as normal. My breath had shallowed and all I could see in my mind was dark grey with some red here and there. Then out of nowhere came this rabid skeletal dog. I can't say I felt threatened but he wasn't pleasant to look at. I noticed him then continued to re focus on my breathing. Then I came out of meditation rapidly, like someone had just punched me in the back, and I just took this deep breath, almost like I was desperate for air! I've gotta say, it wasnt very nice. This has never happened before!

Anyone else had something similar?

Comments

• happened to me occasionally...don't worry...they are normal. All will pass eventually if you sit still.
    They are distractions of your mind. You will get used to it.
    However, I suggest taking refuge before you start your meditation. And don't meditate when you are full of negative feelings. And also do not meditate in dirty/nasty places...
  • Thank you zen world. I'm at home so it's clean plus i don't have any negative feelings at the mo, as far as I'm aware of anyway. The thing that shook me most wasn't the image, but the rapid exit from meditation. I feel a bit jumpy now, and not relaxed at all :( I would normally feel relaxed and energised afterwards. I suppose it's like waking up halfway through a dream!

B
  • Well, there are the "low" stages of meditation where the ego does anything it can to make you stop. Usually, people get bad images, depression, etc.
  • Hi MrsWigs,

According to David Brazier in his book The Feeling Buddha he states that even the Buddha Himself experienced this sort of thing.

"He meditated all night and watched everything that arose in his mind. Many fantasies and emotions assailed him: some violent, some lustful, some terrifying and some tempting. It is both reassuring and illuminating to discover that someone who was only a matter of hours away from becoming a Buddha was afflicted by all the same mental perversions that the rest of us suffer from whenever we stop censoring ourselves."

Hope this helps
    With Metta
    Natty
  • I'd say you responded to the images perfectly. If someone has intrusive images of a trauma is the only time I advise them to discontinue meditation (for the time being) and seek help from a DBT therapist or a therapist trained in Prolonged Exposure therapy.