Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"The Wounded Platoon"

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
edited September 2011 in General Banter
For those who haven't seen it and for those with the patience and courage to watch, "The Wounded Platoon" -- a PBS "Frontline" production -- is a compelling and careful depiction of what happens when people are encouraged to set aside the human values of right and wrong in pursuit of a fabricated and sometimes lethal "enemy."

Watch the full episode. See more FRONTLINE.

Comments

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    uggh... even the description makes me want to cry.
  • There was a similar documentary on UK TV recently - about the mental health effects of fighting wars. Dreadful. As if it were not bad enough seeing formerly fit young people coming back from Iraq or Afghanistan minus limbs and sight, we have created a generation of the mentally scarred.

My father was in the Falklands years ago. He concluded it was a pointless war for a pointless goal (on both sides) and left the military as soon as his contract was up. He's suffered from problems with his nerves ever since, even though he was not actively involved in the fighting.

Still, my grandfather had PTSD (as we'd call it now) from WWII, from being a fireman in London during the Blitz. He didn't shoot anybody but the experience scarred him.