Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The science of morality

tmottestmottes Veteran
edited September 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Where does our sense of right and wrong come from? This hour of Radiolab, we peer inside the brains of people contemplating moral dilemmas.

Plus, we watch chimps at a primate research center sharing blackberries, observe 3-year-olds fighting over toys, and tour Eastern State Prison--the country's first penitentiary. And we hear a story of of land grabbing, indentured servitude, and slumlording in the fourth grade.
Here is the podcast: http://www.radiolab.org/2007/aug/13/

Comments

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited September 2011
    From what I've read and inferred and so forth:

Our morality comes from the society we grow up in. Of course, nowadays we have the internet and are no longer confined to interactions with only small groups of people or certain information (why my thoughts are so different than my parents, for example). I've heard that 50% of our personality comes from our genes and 50% comes from our experiences (a lot during childhood). Killing is okay for some cultures (death penalty is widely accepted in Iran, for example) while not so much in others (Canada, for example). I don't believe there is an ULTIMATE ethical code because everyone has their own views on stuff, which is conditioned by who taught them to be that way (or in some cases, free thinkers). But why a general consensus on most stuff? Well, turn to evolution for that.

So.. yeah. Just my thoughts.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Love Radiolab :thumbsup:
  • From what I've read and inferred and so forth:

Our morality comes from the society we grow up in. Of course, nowadays we have the internet and are no longer confined to interactions with only small groups of people or certain information (why my thoughts are so different than my parents, for example). I've heard that 50% of our personality comes from our genes and 50% comes from our experiences (a lot during childhood). Killing is okay for some cultures (death penalty is widely accepted in Iran, for example) while not so much in others (Canada, for example). I don't believe there is an ULTIMATE ethical code because everyone has their own views on stuff, which is conditioned by who taught them to be that way (or in some cases, free thinkers). But why a general consensus on most stuff? Well, turn to evolution for that.

So.. yeah. Just my thoughts.
    Did you get a chance to listen to the podcast?