Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dharma the Cat

SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
edited April 2006 in Buddhism Basics
Alongside the book discussion, this thread is for those who woul like to reflect on the Buddhist ideas expressed in the cartoons of
Dharma the Cat

The first cartoon is called "Time". I'm not sure whether it is proper to copy it here as I can't find a copyright statement. Shall I email them to ask permission?

For the time being, you might like to follow the link and look at the strip. There are also commentaries.

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Wow...

I was reading the commentary for the first cartoon, "Time" - and the authors actually take some time to really detail some interesting thoughts regarding the comic.

These could be really fun and educational at the same time!

Just from this first commentary - I've found a bit of myself that would read a teaching of Buddha and think, "Oh cool! That will suit me just fine!" - when that is actually, most probably NOT what Buddha intended. Doing something simply because it meets our needs or desires is NOT the lesson. Nor is using the teachings to gain our cravings the teaching of Buddha either.

-bf
    edited February 2006
    Please ask permission, Simon!

-bf

P.S. why you ignoring me on yahoo messenger?
  • edited February 2006
    Great idea, Simon. I am interested in this discussion. I really like this quote from the authors commentary:

"and craving is bound to create karma and eventual suffering". It really makes me think about all of the different cravings we all face in our daily lives, without even realizing it. This cartoon is also a good lesson in living in the present moment, rather than worrying about the past or the future, which the Buddhist commentary goes into great detail about. What a great lesson!
  • edited February 2006
    This is a great teaching tool, Simon! Thanks!
    What a good first lesson! How many times I have heard...'Well, everybody is doing it, so it doesn't matter if I do'...

It is so easy to manipulate a situation to serve our own needs and wants, regardless of others.
  • edited February 2006
    SO who do you most identify with?

Dharma - manipulating the present to gain what belongs in the future OR

Bodhi - the novice monk who pays little attention to the present moment whilst meditating and falls for Dharma's trick?

[This was nicely timed (lol) as I've been spending the last week observing time and my preconceptions about it, having read over some of Master Dogen Zenji's teachings on it.]
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    When I first saw this comic two weeks ago I was reminded of how Einstein once explained his theory of relativity as it concerned time. He said "When one is sitting on a hot coal, a minute seems like an hour. But when one is talking to a pretty girl, an hour seems like a minute. That's relativity."

Brigid
  • edited February 2006
    Cynical old me - I took it as a warning not to be so wrapped up in our practice that we are unaware of the present and get fooled into wrong perception.
    edited February 2006
    SO who do you most identify with?

Dharma - manipulating the present to gain what belongs in the future OR

Bodhi - the novice monk who pays little attention to the present moment whilst meditating and falls for Dharma's trick?

[This was nicely timed (lol) as I've been spending the last week observing time and my preconceptions about it, having read over some of Master Dogen Zenji's teachings on it.]

Unfortunately, I would have to say that most of the time, I'm Dharma. Manipulating the present to gain what belongs in the future.

But, I believe that recognition is the beginning of learning. At least that's what I tell myself. Recognize what I'm doing and then change it.

I believe that, whether we like it or not, the road to Enlightenment is through adversity. Having something that we cling to or crave - recognizing it - and then ridding ourselves of that desire - no matter how much we don't want to...

-bf
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2006
    I love the Rabbi's take on Dharma's actions:
    Dharma The Cat is gradually understanding the concept of holy time. Time may be an illusion, but once we invest time with holy acts -- and eating is one of the holiest of acts in Judaism -- then time ceases to be an illusion and become an opportunity to serve God. In fact when there is a choice between prayer and allowing one's pets to suffer, pray(er) must give way to relieving suffering.
  • edited February 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:

I believe that, whether we like it or not, the road to Enlightenment is through adversity. Having something that we cling to or crave - recognizing it - and then ridding ourselves of that desire - no matter how much we don't want to...

-bf

And how, brother, and how! Hurts dunnit?
    edited February 2006
    An interesting cartoon, this...

I don't know that the commentary covered very much except for the fact that Dharma is 1) doing what is instinctual to him and 2) has learned to use this to get exactly what he wants... more food. The author also makes a good point about how Dharma is more sly and wily than most monks!

The first thing that I thought about this was, "That damn cat is just using that poor sucker - and Bodhi doesn't even KNOW IT!?!?!?!"

I was kind of stricken by the thought that there is definitely a difference between compassion and helping -vs- enabling.

Right Mindfulness and Right View should encompass the actions of "blind compassion". I think, in some areas, Right Mindfulness and Right View could also be viewed as "tough love".

Right View and Right Mindfulness should also teach us that we shouldn't always give someone what they want - but what they need.

-bf
    edited February 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    An interesting cartoon, this...

I don't know that the commentary covered very much except for the fact that Dharma is 1) doing what is instinctual to him and 2) has learned to use this to get exactly what he wants... more food. The author also makes a good point about how Dharma is more sly and wily than most monks!

The first thing that I thought about this was, "That damn cat is just using that poor sucker - and Bodhi doesn't even KNOW IT!?!?!?!"

I was kind of stricken by the thought that there is definitely a difference between compassion and helping -vs- enabling.

Right Mindfulness and Right View should encompass the actions of "blind compassion". I think, in some areas, Right Mindfulness and Right View could also be viewed as "tough love".

Right View and Right Mindfulness should also teach us that we shouldn't always give someone what they want - but what they need.

-bf

O reason not the need! Our basest beggars
    Are in the poorest thing superfluous.
    Allow not nature moe than nature needs,
    Man's life is cheap as beast's.

Shakespeare - King Lear
    edited February 2006
    O reason not the need! Our basest beggars
    Are in the poorest thing superfluous.
    Allow not nature moe than nature needs,
    Man's life is cheap as beast's.

Shakespeare - King Lear

I was never any good at Shakespeare...

-bf
    edited February 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    I was never any good at Shakespeare...

-bf

Lear is saying that we can't judge "need"; that it is entirely situational. I also read it as saying that we all have more than we 'need' as animals but that, as humans, we must go beyond.
  • edited February 2006
    "A good way of understanding the difference between concentration and mindfulness is to consider the case of a man, standing in front of a large tree in some field, waving a red rag at a bull. The bull, endangered by the red rag, begins to charge. At the last minute, the man steps smartly to one side, and the bull collides with the tree. This is because his mind, wholly concentrated on its goal, has become devoid of the balancing power of mindfulness, which would have allowed him to notice that the man had moved."

-From #3- Mindfulness

Before I became acquainted with Buddhism, I was usually focused on one particular thing (person/relationship, career, school), that I hardly noticed what was going on around me, what experiences I was passing by and missing. Sometimes I still get caught up in something. But I will often catch myself and slow down.:bigclap:
  • edited February 2006
    The mind is very hard to check
    and swift, it falls on what it wants.
    The training of the mind is good,
    a mind so tamed brings happiness.

The mind is very hard to see
    and find, it falls on what it wants.
    One who’s wise should guard the mind,
    a guarded mind brings happiness.

from Treasury of Truth- An Illustrated Dhammapada
    edited February 2006
    Lear is saying that we can't judge "need"; that it is entirely situational. I also read it as saying that we all have more than we 'need' as animals but that, as humans, we must go beyond.

Good point, Simon.

I'm the least of people who should be defining "who needs what".

But, in regards to this "comic" - that one should not just end up being "used" when one has come to the realization they are being used.

I think that was my only point.

-bf
    edited February 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    But, in regards to this "comic" - that one should not just end up being "used" when one has come to the realization they are being used.

I think that was my only point.

-bf

A very interesting point it is too, BF, because I am not sure if it is "black-and-white". My children and grandchildren 'use' me as do those pilgrims who make use of my Spiritual safari services. The question is, for me, how I decide to be used because I cannot make any decisions for others.
    edited February 2006
    True.

MY girlfriend uses me and I absolutely have NO issues with that in some circumstances ;). In others, it does bother me.

My son uses me. But I feel that it is so little and the time we have together is so small - it doesn't bother me. And that's a decision I've made.

But, I've also had friends who used me to get by. I know one guy in particular who's wife up and left. He was raising a 4 and a 2 year old - and just couldn't seem to get his priorities straight. He couldn't realize he was now a paycheck short and couldn't spend like he used to. He'd go out and spend money (that he needed for other things) to buy a certain CD he wanted, or game, or whatever. And then suddenly realize he didn't have enough money to keep groceries in the house for the next two weeks.

I don't know how much money I've given him for food, or Thanksgiving dinners or Christmas dinners or Easter Dinners or just dam dinners! He can't learn, but I can't see him or his two darling little girls go without food. So... I'm used.

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    I've wondered about this question - being compassionate and caring we lay ourselves open to being taken for a ride and used. Does it matter? Is the answer that it is better that we are taken for a ride a few times but in general we help alleviate others' suffering because if we start getting cynical and suspicious it is possible that genuinely needful people will slip through the net?

And if we are taken for a ride, what is hurt - our Ego? As long as we are not depriving our own family for the sake of other people's needs maybe it is good for the suppression of ego to be used sometimes.
    edited February 2006
    I received the following email today:
    Hi Simon, That's a nice site -- congratulations.

Yes, you may post 1 or 2 cartoons at a time, with a link to my site. If you
    can get the book from www.Amazon.com, you will find "Dharma The Cat Says" commentary for each toon, which is succinct and pithy, when not ironic, and
    that commentary is not on the web site.

Best wishes,
    David Lourie
    lourie@comcen.com.au
    get Philosophy With Fur at www.DharmaTheCat.com

I hope I didn't offend protocol by going direct to Mr Lourie. Here is the first toon:

toon-1.gif
    edited February 2006
    Good point, Knitwit.

I think in my case, I'm sure it's ego. I don't like to feel like I've been used when I didn't wittingly agree to being used.

I'm sure it's Ego and "self" that cause the the unpleasantness I feel when things like this happen.

-bf
    edited February 2006
    Actually, Simon...

I think you used very "Right" actions by doing it the way you did. You didn't use what wasn't yours without asking first.

Yet another lesson taught!

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    Or maybe the cat is just a representation of those who know all the teachings but quote them only for the gratification of their own ego and justification of their self indulgence.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2006
    knitwitch,

Like me?

>^..^<

*meow*

:lol:

Jason
  • edited February 2006
    CERTAINLY NOT .... some people maybe, but no, not you.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Knitwitch and BF,

You bring up good points. It was Dr. Phil who cleared up this question for me. He said we teach people how to treat us. It was significant for me at the time because I was in a relationship with someone who didn't treat me well. I tried and tried to make him change but nothing I did or said made any difference. As long as I stayed in the relationship I was telling that person that it was O.K. to treat me like that. Every time I made myself available to him I was implicitly telling him it was O.K. by me if he treated me like that. Eventually I wised up, gathered what dignity and self-respect I had left, and I walked away. I knew I had done the wise thing.

I think this goes for all our relationships. Now that I live with my parents again, it's taken a couple of years to retrain them to treat me like an adult because the last time we lived in the same house I was 17. I had to teach them how to treat the adult Brigid. And it's working. I also had to teach the woman who doles out the dole, or welfare, how to treat me. During our first meeting she tried to bully me. A voice in my head told me to nip that one on the bud. And I did, in no uncertain terms. A few years ago I never would have known if I had the right to do that. But today I know that not only do I have the right, I have the obligation to myself.

I think that's why the Buddha used the term "skillful" when it comes to our actions. It's a combination of open hearted compassion and loving kindness with wisdom. Like you reminded me, Knitwitch, I was treating myself in a way I would never dream of treating others. So, it's the same when it comes to our own self respect. As in treat others the way you wish to be treated and teach others to treat you in the way you wish to treat others. Round and round and round.

I didn't explain it very well but I hope you get the gist.

Love,
    Brigid
    edited February 2006
    knitwitch,

I know, I just thought it was funny because I often quote Suttas, and my nickname in Michigan is Jiji the black cat. Just a coincidence, right...?

;)

Jason
    edited February 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    Knitwitch and BF,

You bring up good points. It was Dr. Phil who cleared up this question for me. He said we teach people how to treat us. It was significant for me at the time because I was in a relationship with someone who didn't treat me well. I tried and tried to make him change but nothing I did or said made any difference. As long as I stayed in the relationship I was telling that person that it was O.K. to treat me like that. Every time I made myself available to him I was implicitly telling him it was O.K. by me if he treated me like that. Eventually I wised up, gathered what dignity and self-respect I had left, and I walked away. I knew I had done the wise thing.

I think this goes for all our relationships. Now that I live with my parents again, it's taken a couple of years to retrain them to treat me like an adult because the last time we lived in the same house I was 17. I had to teach them how to treat the adult Brigid. And it's working. I also had to teach the woman who doles out the dole, or welfare, how to treat me. During our first meeting she tried to bully me. A voice in my head told me to nip that one on the bud. And I did, in no uncertain terms. A few years ago I never would have known if I had the right to do that. But today I know that not only do I have the right, I have the obligation to myself.

I think that's why the Buddha used the term "skillful" when it comes to our actions. It's a combination of open hearted compassion and loving kindness with wisdom. Like you reminded me, Knitwitch, I was treating myself in a way I would never dream of treating others. So, it's the same when it comes to our own self respect. As in treat others the way you wish to be treated and teach others to treat you in the way you wish to treat others. Round and round and round.

I didn't explain it very well but I hope you get the gist.

Love,
    Brigid

"Be cunning as serpents and yet as harmless as doves."
    edited February 2006
    Brigid,

That is a tough one.

I know from the other end of the spectrum, I've been in relationships where the other person thought they needed to change me which always confused me.

Why would someone get into a relationship with me if I wasn't the person they wanted to be in a relationship with? Instead of trying to change me into something I'm not - why not just go find a person that meets all of their needs?

I never understood that.

The relationship I'm in now - well, it's been made brutally apparent that no one needs to be changing anyone. We're either in this togther for who we are - or we're free to call it quits at any time.

Now, mind you, I'm not talking about your relationship in any way - I'm just talking about mine. My relationship doesn't have issues concerning abuse or mistreatment - my issues at this point mostly have to do with broken trust and seeing if someone is willing to repair that destruction of trust.

Which is why that "forgive and forget" thread made me think so much ...

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    I know about feeling "used and resentful". All my life I've tried to help, been there and quite often put myself out to lend a hand. Because my ole Ma used to say that if you were able to help someone who was down and didn't, it was as bad as kicking them when they were down.

And yes, quite often people have taken my help and been ungrateful or just used me for what they could get out of the situation. And I've thought "B****r it, that's the last time, I am NOT going to be bothered any more etc etc etc". But if it's in your nature, then it's in your nature and you just go back and do it all again.

Just sometimes you do something little - comfort a friend on the phone, reassure them and the relief in their voice is enough. You hold a door for an old lady and help her out with her shopping bag and the smile you get back is enough.

Yes there are some right sh**s out there but I can't let them win.
  • edited February 2006
    Elohim wrote:
    knitwitch,

I know, I just thought it was funny because I often quote Suttas, and my nickname in Michigan is Jiji the black cat. Just a coincidence, right...?

;)

Jason

:smilec: No, don't be sensitive - my nickname used to be Little Bear and I didn't take the Smokey the Bear Sutra personally. I feel a song coming on

Jiji, my funny little, sunny little Jiji - Maurice Chevalier (see - I do reference my sources :hiding:
    edited February 2006
    If everybody is ready, I shall post a second toon tomorrow (Monday).
  • edited February 2006
    Looking forward to it Simon - this is fun
    edited February 2006
    knitwitch,

No sensativity at all. If you can't laugh at yourself, then who can you laugh at?

:)

Jason
  • edited February 2006
    My feelings exactly Jason, which is why I take the micky out of myself all the time - that and beat everyone else to it! mmwwwuhhahhahah
    edited February 2006
    Here, as promised, is the next toon:

edited February 2006
    So, I wonder what the lesson is. I haven't read the comments yet but I am struck by the question: is it compassionate for cats to spare mice?
  • edited February 2006
    Off the top of my head, first reaction - two things. One - perhaps it is a lesson that only humans have sufficient reasoning to accept the Dharma and we must accept their nature too. It is of no use expecting an animal to behave other than in its nature (like me expecting mice to take the food I left for them and leave mine alone - they don't have the capacity to do that)

And yet again, the dear sweet wee monk is taken for a ride through his kind compassionate nature.
  • edited February 2006
    Well, that's one sneaky little cat, isn't it? Too cute...almost makes me want a cat.

I think Knitwitch is making a good point about how animals just can't be expected to be as compassionate as humans.
    edited February 2006
    I can't say because I've already read the commentary - but it is something that we've discussed on this thread already!

-bf
    edited February 2006
    Perhaps there is nothing more to say, yet. So here's another toon:

edited February 2006
    And, once again before reading any commentary, I am reminded of Arcanum Zero of the Tarot: The Fool. And the place of the 'holy fool' in enlightenment stories.
    edited February 2006
    Again, I'll have to refrain because I read the commentary a couple of days ago.

But, oddly enough, look who is on the Path... and who is not!

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    Don't get carried waway....keep your feet on the ground, don't stray form the Eightfold, and don't be so wrapt in yourself that you overlook the basics;...

Maybe.....? :lol:
  • edited February 2006
    BF - stop cheating!

I'm with Fede on this one....don't get so carried away that you forget to stay on the Eightfold Path!
    edited February 2006
    I do not see this as a "boy/wrong", "cat/good" toon but one with a much more important message: both are unskillful in their own way. The mystery is to be both at once.
    edited February 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    BF - stop cheating!

I'm with Fede on this one....don't get so carried away that you forget to stay on the Eightfold Path!

I wasn't cheating, ya big meany.

When this thread first started - I was looking at new cartoon each day. I did this for 3 days. So stop yer whining.

I'm good to go on the fourth cartoon.

-bf
    edited February 2006
    I think one thing about Dharma...

If you'll notice, Dharma is on the "path" this time and Bodhi is not.

Sometimes, it's easy to be on the path, especially when it meets our needs/ego/desires.

I used to know Christians like this. It was easy for them to condemn a person who, oh let's say, had an affair - because they had personally never done this thing. So, it was very easy for them to be judgemental.

But!, they were liars and cheaters. This topic was never brought up so there was no reason for them to feel "singled out". Would these same people be so quick to throw stones if the topic at hand was "lying and cheating" versus "adultery"?

-bf
    edited February 2006
    Which would you prefer to be?