Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

meditation posture (specifically corpse)

edited October 2011 in Meditation
Posture issues frustrate the crap out of me. I wanted to use full lotus because supposedly it is the most stable but it doesn't seem that way. I have tried two different cushions and neither works for me. Without a cushion it is a constant strain to keep my back straight. In full lotus with a pillow my legs want to slip apart and the lack of symmetry of the legs makes me crazy (that i know is not that important). I'm going to keep trying but I spend twenty minutes or more just trying to get comfortable... and it's not even the pain of full lotus any more... that's also really irritating. I finally transcended the pain and now the lack of stability is bothering me... I always feel off center because one leg is higher than the other...

Anyway, has anyone used corpse posture extensively? I guess I'm going to try that next..

Comments

• I always feel off center because one leg is higher than the other...
    Well, you can use a heavy object to sit on the higher leg or probably secure with a rope to positiion squarely :buck:
  • The problem with a full lotus is that unless you've been doing it since childhood, your hips are unlikely to be sufficiently flexible without a lot of work (and sometimes even then). But since I developed this dreadful joint condition and was forced to learn to meditate in non-traditional postures, I have realised that posture is probably one of the least important things.

I used to use a seiza bench - it enables you to kneel without cutting off the circulation to your legs, so that's something you could try. Or kneel on your zafu if you prefer. It is nice if you can get into a traditional "meditation posture", but don't get hung up on the idea. I became aware that I was using posture as an 'excuse' not to get on with the job of meditating. Actually, it is possible to meditate in almost any position! (it's just a little trickier, I find).

The important thing about posture is that you do need a straight back (that is more important IMHO than what your legs are doing) and you need to be in a posture that isn't putting a strain on anything. Another skill I've had to learn is to change position in meditation, without losing my focus - that can be very useful if your body isn't used to being still.
  • I love half lotus position, because it generates pleasant, calming, and energizing sensations which really motivates me to sit down and meditate (probably, it's my main motivation, although the whole meditation experience is interesting to me). It feels pretty symmetrical, so I have no problem there.
    I had to do more than 10 years of yoga before half lotus became comfortable, which was a big effort, but on the other hand, yoga is a great gift in itself, so it could be a worth wile path.
  • I almost forgot. I don't have a zabuton... anyone think that would cause significant comfort issues when using a zafu?
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    My morning meditation is done in the tailor position - I find that pretty stable for me, and I enjoy being seated on the floor in front of my altar.

My night meditation is done in the corpse position, since I do this session just before retiring for the night.

If The Buddha had been born in Japan, we'd all be talking about kneeling positions. Or Burmese, etc.

Most importantly... whatever is comfortable for you, and works, is the "correct" position.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I used to sit cross legged on a zafu, but my bottom foot usually fell asleep after 20 minutes or so, so I recently switched to burmese and am finding it very comfortable.

Here's a link to a good site that covers the ins and outs of proper posture

http://www.wildmind.org/posture
  • Think I was just thinking too much about it... I decided to just sit down in full lotus and do it without over thinking it today and it worked just fine...
  • hey shays, I think honestly any position that you can maintain for a long time and not go to sleep or have to keep shifting to be comfortable is fine. just my opinion.
  • I actually sit on the couch or in a chair. I need back support, I think. Kneeling works ok for me too, but I feel back strain after a while. If I sit cross-legged on the couch, I'm usually ok. :)

In the evening, I'll sit cross-legged on my bed, and near the end I'll transition to corpse pose. I've even meditated in the fetal position before without going to sleep. lol Anyway...

The point is that you'll find something that works for you. I try not to be dogmatic or inflexible about anything, even physical activity or meditating. Just doing it is beneficial.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    @Shays860 try sitting in burmese posture with your zafu. i find it the most comfortable and natural feeling. i can do full lotus, but just the nature of the posture makes me feel a tightness where my legs compress each other. after a while it can become uncomfortable and eventually i just realized that it was counterproductive for me (plus, i worry a bit about my knees and hips sometimes).

but as an aside note, i usually sit on my zafu on top of my futon because i don't have a zabuton either. although, you can very easily use a blanket to replace a zabuton. but realistically, i know people sometimes make a big deal out of the postures and the mundras, but those things aren't the point of meditation. :)

http://www.bisbeelotussangha.org/sittingpostures.htm
  • A zabuton will definitely help. Sitting directly on a hard floor is a killer.

As for corpse posture, it may work, but most teachers recommend against lying down, as it's far too easy to fall asleep. But whatever position works for you is fine. There's no magic about positions. Don't sweat it too much.
  • I actually have come to sort of believe that there IS a certain amount of 'magic' about positions. I notice that sitting in different postures or simply conducting different motions has a significant impact on my mental space, even if I'm not necessarily meditating. I can't pull off full lotus without experiencing a distracting level of discomfort, but I have come to enjoy half-lotus so much that I adopt it whenever I can do so inconspicuously.

I'm not sure what it is, but the whole 'tone' of my headspace seems to change based on the position of my body. It's something I'm definitely looking forward to experimenting with more.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I actually have come to sort of believe that there IS a certain amount of 'magic' about positions. I notice that sitting in different postures or simply conducting different motions has a significant impact on my mental space, even if I'm not necessarily meditating. I can't pull off full lotus without experiencing a distracting level of discomfort, but I have come to enjoy half-lotus so much that I adopt it whenever I can do so inconspicuously.

I'm not sure what it is, but the whole 'tone' of my headspace seems to change based on the position of my body. It's something I'm definitely looking forward to experimenting with more.
    this could have to do with the fact that when one's spine is straight, the chest can breathe much more easily and thus obtain more oxygen. oxygen can keep one feeling more alert and lively. plus, with the spine aligned properly, it's less strain on the body, so it does make you feel better as well. slumping always makes me feel sore and crappy if i do it for too long.

but on a side note, i actually sit in half lotus more than any other posture (not talking about meditation here). i always have ever since i was a kid. i remember getting yelled at in school because i used to sit at my desk like that. i used to meditate in half lotus until i got my zafu. i find burmese more comfortable when i use my cushion.