Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Knee injury - sitting posture

edited September 2011 in Meditation
I am new to practice and experimenting with posture. I find with a regular bed pillow (folded) or a zafu (at sangha) my knee hurts (I have an old ligament injury). I'm looking for suggestions for other postures that don't require quite as much "bend" in one knee. I am sitting in a burmese position. I've looked at benches (my, they're costly!) and at gomden cushions (which I could probably make fairly inexpensively). I don't want to invest a ton until I've found a position that is comfortable.

I welcome your suggestions.

Comments

• MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited September 2011
    I just bought a seiza bench and it makes a HUGE difference, both for my knees and for my back. I know a bench is an investment, but you can also get $10 worth of lumber and some wood screws and make a perfectly functional one yourself.

Seiza position with a bench (which raises you butt up and doesn't flex your knees as much as sitting on your heels) is *much* easier on your knees than any kind of a cross-legged posture. If you have an old ligament injury I'd be very careful about doing any at all. Nothing wrong with sitting in a chair to meditate.

I do highly recommend a bench though. It will be much easier on your knees.
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    Here's what the doctor ordered:

http://www.embody.co.uk/blog/post/how_to_make_a_meditation_stool

Looks pretty simple... Haven't made one yet but plan too.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Just linked this site in another post but I find it very thorough on the in and outs of posture.

http://www.wildmind.org/posture
  • Great link there @johnathan! That's about the simplest building project I can imagine.
  • If you've lost some range of motion in your knee, you can meditate sitting in a chair, sitting on the floor with one leg straight, or lying on your back. The important thing is maintaining a straight back, not bent knees.
  • Sit on the edge of bed with a big pillow below you so that your knees bend just a little and you stay awake too.

• If you try using a chair, experiment with propping up the back two legs with some books so that the seat tilts forward. Then sit, not using the backrest.
  • I sat on the edge of a (lower than your average) outdoor lounge chair today and that worked - with my legs loosely crossed and my pelvis tipped slightly forward - worked for my back and my knee. Makes me think a bench may work equally well. Any thoughts on a gomden cushion? Anyone tried it?