Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Osho Rajnesh have you heard about him? Crazy or half Crazy half enlightened or what?

edited October 2011 in Faith & Religion
Hello people. This man respects buddhism and uses a lot of buddhist principles altough i dont know if he is crazy
half crazy or very wise xD

Here is the Documental

Comments

• Ive been a fan. Keke
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Akex: he's crazy. He was deported from the US. Before he came to the US, India considered his "movement" or whatever it was, to be a sex cult.

There are a lot of people who can learn and spew the right lines. It's their own behavior they can't control, and that gives them away.
  • Akex: he's crazy. He was deported from the US. Before he came to the US, India considered his "movement" or whatever it was, to be a sex cult.

There are a lot of people who can learn and spew the right lines. It's their own behavior they can't control, and that gives them away.
    Thanks for the answer Dakini.

Am i wrong if i take care of his words when he talks about love, posseivness and desire although he haves a flaws?

Can he he is speak words of great wisdom and at the same time be dumb in others aspects?
  • Ive been a fan. Keke
    He seems to speak great words but some times dont you put him in doubt as a person or contradictory some times?
  • Osho died in about 1990, I think ... this Youtube video is from an interview I saw him do in the late 1980's with an Australian journalist - gives a different glimpse of what he was. I think his approach is similar to some of the individuals who I see post in online Buddhist discussion forums - for example, trying to use harsh, shock treatment to get a message across ( doesn't work well for me ).
  • whether he is good or bad it doesn't matter! Use what works or makes sense based on your experience
  • edited September 2011
    His teaching is excellent that against (let go) the humanity of past - have the bliss of present that is inherently in everyone. The urgency of its disciples is crucial in order to reach the center. It sees the goodness of everyone. For enlightened being, there should not have any allergy especially against perfume. This video clearly identified that there are so many repressive people emotionally from all walks around the world. They are enjoying themselves, this is so wonderful and amazing. He has a terrorised insight on enlightenment that it is knowing himself and not bothered whether his room is wirely-tapped (it means that he is living beautifully at present while the people who implanted gadget is cultivating severe karma for themselves). He is extremely powerful in entertaining and on speaking the truth that he was percieved as dangerous for against God because he is against all fictions. His signature is so uniquely magnificent - the energy. So lovely :p Om
  • He may be entertaining, but he is as far from a buddhist as you can get.
  • edited September 2011
    The guy was a cult leader. He was behind the first bioterrorist attack in United States history back in 1984: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/bioterror/hist_nf.html#cult

There have been a number of other allegations made against him and his followers including arson, drug trafficking, child abuse, attempted murder, the list goes on. He was deported from the US in 1985 after pleading guilty to immigration fraud.
  • Akex: he's crazy. He was deported from the US. Before he came to the US, India considered his "movement" or whatever it was, to be a sex cult.

Am i wrong if i take care of his words when he talks about love, posseivness and desire although he haves a flaws?

Can he he is speak words of great wisdom and at the same time be dumb in others aspects?
    This is an excellent question, deserving of its own thread. Chan Master Sheng Yen said that the students shouldn't be concerned if the master "lies, steals and chases after women", as long as he scolds his students for doing the same, and as long as his teachings demonstrate "right view". This has been a very controversial position. Some students feel that if a teacher can't walk his/her talk, and abide by the precepts, such a person isn't going to be a very inspiring model. But it's an individual choice.
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Agree it is a good question. I have, recently again - in a different country and culture from my own, spoken with individuals who believe that in order to have faith and confidence in teachings it is necessary to have complete certainty about the teacher .... a slippery slope when dealing with human beings I think.
  • Osho died in about 1990, I think ... this Youtube video is from an interview I saw him do in the late 1980's with an Australian journalist - gives a different glimpse of what he was. I think his approach is similar to some of the individuals who I see post in online Buddhist discussion forums - for example, trying to use harsh, shock treatment to get a message across ( doesn't work well for me ).
    Good clip man. Very radical form of talking but entertaining
  • whether he is good or bad it doesn't matter! Use what works or makes sense based on your experience
    Yes! I feel that a lot of his words cotain a lot of truth dont you think?

Example is his view of love is taking from the buddhist love of loving withouth attachment and no posseivness.

In my experience that brings a lot of peace.
  • His teaching is excellent that against (let go) the humanity of past - have the bliss of present that is inherently in everyone. The urgency of its disciples is crucial in order to reach the center. It sees the goodness of everyone. For enlightened being, there should not have any allergy especially against perfume. This video clearly identified that there are so many repressive people emotionally from all walks around the world. They are enjoying themselves, this is so wonderful and amazing. He has a terrorised insight on enlightenment that it is knowing himself and not bothered whether his room is wirely-tapped (it means that he is living beautifully at present while the people who implanted gadget is cultivating severe karma for themselves). He is extremely powerful in entertaining and on speaking the truth that he was percieved as dangerous for against God because he is against all fictions. His signature is so uniquely magnificent - the energy. So lovely :p Om
    Yes he is quite an interesting dude.
  • He may be entertaining, but he is as far from a buddhist as you can get.
    But his view of love its like non attachment love.

or in not caring the opinion of others and many other advices sound with a great wisdom and in experience they seem to work.

He have flaws thats something i dont deny.
  • The guy was a cult leader. He was behind the first bioterrorist attack in United States history back in 1984: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/bioterror/hist_nf.html#cult

There have been a number of other allegations made against him and his followers including arson, drug trafficking, child abuse, attempted murder, the list goes on. He was deported from the US in 1985 after pleading guilty to immigration fraud.
    He said it was his secretary and that didnt know about it wich i find trouble to belive.

This is an excellent question, deserving of its own thread. Chan Master Sheng Yen said that the students shouldn't be concerned if the master "lies, steals and chases after women", as long as he scolds his students for doing the same, and as long as his teachings demonstrate "right view". This has been a very controversial position. Some students feel that if a teacher can't walk his/her talk, and abide by the precepts, such a person isn't going to be a very inspiring model. But it's an individual choice.

Yes Exactly that!!!!

How can we know that. Maybe our best lab is ourselfs. Our minds our emotion react in some ways but when the srouce seems flawed you kinda loose some of the "power". Its like you have to find your own way and that lives you completly in charge of you.
  • Agree it is a good question. I have, recently again - in a different country and culture from my own, spoken with individuals who believe that in order to have faith and confidence in teachings it is necessary to have complete certainty about the teacher .... a slippery slope when dealing with human beings I think.
    Yes thats a good word "confidence" If the guys who knows all that is bad are you loosing your time.

Maybe knowledge is for all but taking the next step to practice it is another deal.

• Yes! I feel that a lot of his words cotain a lot of truth dont you think?
    Example is his view of love is taking from the buddhist love of loving withouth attachment and no posseivness.
    Very convenient if you're running a sex cult. :p
  • Yes, the words used to describe truth can be also be used to manipulate others ... not unlike the idea of living in the moment to support procrastination, or to avoid having to make a commitment or to act upon something.

• Maybe knowledge is for all but taking the next step to practice it is another deal.
    Well, this is certainly true, and I think some spiritual leaders just don't care about practicing what they preach.

Here's the thing, Alex. I don't mean to step on your toes. When you're new to some of these religions or spiritual movements, it can be exciting to find teachings that really speak to you. To find revelations, words that inspire and make you think. Some of us have been around a long time, though, so we've seen what "unpleasant surprises" (such an understatement!) can lurk behind the wonderful words. There can be hidden agendas. So, enjoy the teachings, but keep in the back of your mind that someone warned you that teachers aren't always what they seem. "Stuff" can happen. It's good to be aware. If, someday, you do find a teacher you can trust completely (it's recommended to spend years checking out the teacher thoroughly, before handing over your trust), then go for it, learn all you can learn and be all you can be. :)

The Dalai Lama on teachers who don't practice what they preach: "If a teacher's actions are unethical, then, even if they have practiced for many years, their practice has been wrong-footed. Quite simply, they lack a proper understanding of the Dharma. There is a gap between the Dharma and their lives." Don't fall into the gap.
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Also, despite what behaviour becomes or is generally accepted part of social custom, convention and/or the social norm, rather than accepting all tradition as being " right ", my understanding is that Buddhist principles suggest that each individual needs to develop the ability to critique what we see from an ethical viewpoint and reject the application of any social practices which violate ethical principles in our own behaviour and lives.
  • I watched the clip with the Australian journalist, and enjoyed it. It seems to me that the discussion about his value of a teacher is completely in line with his own message in the video: he feels no obligation to anybody, nor does he think that he SHOULD feel any obligation. I think there is a value in this stance: as a student, the help of other people is very useful (and probably essential) in order to grow, but you also need to stand on your two feet. So if you would take the message in the video to heart, you would NOT follow him.
  • the buddha himself said do not take my word for it, or well he didn't say it like that obviously-I've heard monks say it too, it is down TO YOU. The path is there, find out where it goes, this is my opinion anyway
    ;p
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Crazy.
  • Thanks for the youtube; seemed pretty unorthodox to me - very new agey feel good stuff; but I guess you would need to look into this guru a lot more to get an accurate picture of what the documentary showed.

• tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Its funny I was thinking about starting a thread about this very thing. I find that Osho's words are fairly powerful, especially his stance on the ego/self. I have been doing a bit more research about him and his teachings. Here are a few things I have learned.

First off, he isn't a Buddhist, but he seems to recognize that buddhism is a path that leads to the non-goal of which speaks. He follows Tantra, which is based on a set of texts that were apparently Shiva's answers (they are actually techniques since the answers are truly ineffable) to his lovers questions. He says that every person in existence can find one of the answers which will awaken him/her. The buddha used the first technique, breath watching. There are something like 112 techniques provided by Shiva. He seems to stress the fact that these aren't Hindu, Vedic, Buddhist, or any other religion. They may exist in those religions, but they are independent of them.

Tantra is strongly rooted in non-dualism and is amoral. Osho has said that you don't need to change your morals to be spiritual, you already are spiritual. You cannot become what you are not, therefore you are already spiritual. He says that by mastering one of the techniques that works for you, you will be changed. So, there is no reason to change before the technique is mastered.

He also speaks of the oppression of sex and how it is based in fear and ignorance. I haven't read too much about that so I can't comment much, but there is a lot of fear around sex. He says that even our breathing habits show our aversion to sex. He says that most people breath from their chest, not their stomach which is apparently allowing the breath to reach the sex center.

From what I can tell he is about acceptance/love of all things, including yourself (knowing it is a false center created by our existence). He is about clear sight through the moment. I am not an expert, so anybody who knows more feel free to correct me.

For me, I am not super advanced in concentration at this point so his information and teachings are helpful to me. When/If I am more advanced I will test them, the same way I test Buddhist teachings. If you are open to it, then read his teachings, try his techniques, and use them until they don't work for you any longer.

• When I was very new to Buddhism I read 'The Buddha Said' by Osho. Not really knowing much about him I thought it was quite good but then I looked into some of his videos on YouTube and quickly changed my mind about him.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited September 2011
    A practitioner I met, a leader of a discussion, once said that osho was fine and it was his followers who were dangerous. He gave him a B minus for buddhism and an A for yoga.

My teacher says that there should be a sign outside of each building: Sleep with the guru at your own risk.
  • I like the chaotic breathing part! Haha! That looks like fun. On some basic levels some of this stuff makes sense. He was certainly not Buddhist. I don't think he was crazy. Enlightened? Only he would know that.

Great video. I never heard of the guy. He died when i was three. Interesting stuff.
  • Thanks for all your answrs people =).

Ill start a new thread called "Love without attachment" Wich is one this main things for wich i like some of the words of OSHO.

Participare please =).
  • basically any book by osho is worth checking out. they are just documents of his lectures given at his ashram. i don't really like listening to him because he talks extremely slow, but that serves a function as you absorb more.

he has a lot of knowledge and is great at bringing together large ideas and simplifying them. i've listened/read his commentary on the heart sutra, bodhidharma, tantra, krishna, etc.

osho is definitely enlightened. in a way truth manifests in an enlightened being as total individuality. no two people are the same. osho to me represents this.

reading and allowing his words of silence to really clear up my doubt has brought about a significant change in my practice as a buddhist.

i have much respect for this man, who out of such compassion tried his best to wake the world up from it's ignorance.
  • basically any book by osho is worth checking out. they are just documents of his lectures given at his ashram. i don't really like listening to him because he talks extremely slow, but that serves a function as you absorb more.

he has a lot of knowledge and is great at bringing together large ideas and simplifying them. i've listened/read his commentary on the heart sutra, bodhidharma, tantra, krishna, etc.

osho is definitely enlightened. in a way truth manifests in an enlightened being as total individuality. no two people are the same. osho to me represents this.

reading and allowing his words of silence to really clear up my doubt has brought about a significant change in my practice as a buddhist.

i have much respect for this man, who out of such compassion tried his best to wake the world up from it's ignorance.
    Yes man his words really help in daily life.

At least im not the only one thinking that his words can help one as buddhist
  • @StoicBuddhistAlex and @taiyaki have you guys read his little talk on ego the false center? I really like it. It was my first exposure to Osho, and made quite a lot of sense.

Here is a link you haven't and are interested: http://deoxy.org/egofalse.htm
  • yeah very insightful! i love that site btw.
  • I have heard almost every word Osho ever said. It is very obvious that he stopped practising meditation at some point of time in his life and that explains perhaps the lows in the latter part. Having said that, I am personally certain, after having read lot of other writers too, that perhaps no one understood and exlained Buddhism better than him. He is simply the best.
  • I read The Autobiography of a Spiritually Incorrect Mystic and at least one other of his books. I have always enjoyed him... but the I steered away because of the negative rumors i heard about him... I recall him saying "I can contradict myself a hundred times a day because my message is meditation". In other words it doesn't matter what he says all he wants you to get out of it is that you should meditate. He also said that's why he talked so slow. To create the gap in your mind that is synonymous with meditation. I would hate to think that he hurt or tried to hurt anyone though.
  • no ones perfect. even though they may be rumors. it isn't unheard of that very "enlightened" beings or rather people in the public sphere of spirituality tend to have problems.

we always here rumors about teachers having affairs with students. or the misuse of power. just because you are a buddha doesn't mean you're infallible.

now that is a tough pill to swallow, but that is the reality. we idolize and project way too much on "enlightenment". these people are human and still are working out the kinks of karma.

everyone here should read jack kornfield's book called After the Ecstasy, the Laundry: How the Heart Grows Wise on the Spiritual Path.

if we see such negativity we must understand and realize that such negativity has roots within us all. we are literally seeing ourselves. thus it is in our power and incentive out of compassion to first admit that we have such capacities to do harm as well as good. thus from this stance we can cultivate the good, while knowing exactly why we should cultivate the good. if we see a problem with someone, we make the problem, thus it is our job to bring a solution to the problem.

on a side note. osho was a crazy motherfucker. but you have to be a little insane to embody truth.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited September 2011
    no ones perfect. just because you are a buddha doesn't mean you're infallible.
    No, it means you're not a buddha. HHDL on the topic of misconduct:

"If a teacher's actions are unethical, then, even if they have practiced for many years, their practice has been wrong-footed. Quite simply, they lack a proper understanding of the Dharma. There is a gap between the Dharma and their life."

• i suppose it's how you "define" what a buddha is then.
    and what "point of view" you're looking from.

i believe there is always room for improvement, even if you're full awakened.
    integration of dharma into life is infinite because all forms are constantly changing.

the bodhi mind still is in the realm of the body/form. in being so there is karma of living the normal life.
    maybe there are few who make it to full enlightenment.

but how many do it by living a normal lay life? such is like putting oneself into the fire. you're bound to burn. such burning is the teacher.

how else are we supposed to learn if it isn't for suffering and cessation of the suffering?
    in a way people have to fuck up. fucking up is the name of the game. we fuck up till we learn.

and this still applies after awakening.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited October 2011
    I don't understand your POV, tai. The Buddha didn't have any trouble observing the precepts and living a moral life. If someone is enlightened, they would have no need or want for attachments, vice, and all that. That's what enlightenment is about: realizing all that is empty, unfulfilling, and leading to dukkha.

Rajneesh was a tantric practitioner. That explains everything. Read up on tantra, y'all. Very eye-opening.
  • ah i see your point of view.
    i know enough about tantra and what osho stood for.

i suppose my question to you is this.
    if you were enlightened and had clear seeing into the nature of reality. you see the three marks. that is unavoidable and you realize such truths.

what if you decide and make a conscious choice to suffer and cling?

=]

• what if you decide and make a conscious choice to suffer and cling?
    Why would you do that, if you were enlightened?

• out of compassion.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    If gurus are involved in non virtue and politics keep away from them as worldly behaviour is not a good example.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited October 2011
    You mean, to understand from experience what others are going through? Maybe. But you'd be able to see it, you'd have mature, enlightened perception. You wouldn't need to put yourself through all that drama.

But ok. So let me get this straight: you're saying the reason supposedly enlightened leaders like Rajneesh behave terribly, have no concern for the consequences of their actions on others, and cause tremendous suffering, is that they need to see what it's like to be unenlightened, so they can relate, and thereby be better equipped to help people? :scratch:
  • The thing i dont get about rajnesh is the 90 rolls royce.

He was wise but with some flaws thats make more human and approchable.

Practicing a lot of his words bring peace but maybe we can all practice it better.

He readed a lot and he expressed all that knowledge
  • he wore expensive watches and had nice cars to ward away the spiritual materialist.
    he even stopped speaking so that only the real spiritual seekers stayed.
    all if it is a method, even if it is perceived otherwise.

i don't agree with unethical conduct, but after you are awakened to reality then you can have your cake. it's okay.
    the buddha ate because he had to sustain his body because he desired to teach out of his compassion for the suffering beings.

a zen master might slap you in the face.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited October 2011
    OK, let's say that after you're awakened, you can have your cake. But one wouldn't get attached to cake. Don't you think Rajneesh quite overdid it? He seemed to be obsessed with cake. Not to mention the cars. Was it 90 of them? However many it was, wouldn't it have been more enlightened and compassionate to use that money to set up a charitable foundation for a worthy cause? Look at Amma Chi; she funds schools, hospitals and other charitable projects. No obsessive sex or car collections.

• maybe so. i don't know i am not osho. i don't know his mind/heart.
    but if you feel compelled to do so then the way truth will manifest is in your own way.

i believe the cars were gifts to him by his followers and he had many wealthy followers.
    to having a giving mind is to have a mind that takes as well. both are useful in compassion.

now about sex. tantra is a very advance practice where the masculine energy and feminine energy of consciousness is manifested via kundalini in the higher chakra (formless) and the lower chakras (form). it is the dance of the male and female into absolute union. tantra isn't just sex. tantra is the science of awakening using what is in front of us.

it's hard to believe that sex can be used in such a way but when two people in a committed spiritual relationship meet and have tantric sex, it can be totally rewarding. it's a method to the non dual.

but that doesn't matter.

maybe you're right. maybe all that money would be better to help others directly.

i'm not sure really. to me it is better to share truth and to practice, practice, practice verses just material giving. though i don't want to create a dichotomy. as it is the giving mind that we cultivate in practice.

osho helps a certain type of mind. with helping there is always harming. such is the nature of duality.

may we practice so that we can save all beings in the "correct" compassion way that follows our experiential truth.