Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Where can I learn to meditate

FenixFenix Veteran
edited October 2011 in Meditation
Where can I find a place to learn how to meditate?

wikipedia dosent count

Comments

• wikipedia dosent count
    Indeed :)

Have you meditated before?

You can find a center closeby and/or you can set up shop yourself right away to commence.

I am sure there will be many links forthcoming so here is a simple one based on my tradition - which is Zen meditation

To do zazen, it is necessary to find a time and place. Both should be as uncluttered as possible. Wash up. Make sure the space used is neat and clean as well. Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothes. If you like, set up an altar with a statue, a cup of water in front of it and an incense burner in front of the water. Light a candle if you like. An altar is not necessary. If you prefer, simply sit down on your cushion between three and six feet from an empty wall.

A zafu, or round cushion, is often used for zazen. If you use one, put the sitting bones on the front third of the cushion. Find a posture ‚ kneeling, full-lotus, half-lotus, quarter-lotus ‚ that you can hold for the period you plan to sit. If there is some physical infirmity that does not allow you to sit on the zafu, sit in a chair. Again, sit on the sitting bones, spine erect.

Once seated, place the back of the left hand on top of the right palm so that the middle knuckles of the middle fingers touch. Let the thumbs then touch each other lightly. In this way, the thumbs will form an oval. Place both hands against the belly, about two inches below the navel. Technically, the nose will be in line with the navel and the shoulders will be aligned with the hips. To the best of your ability, make sure your knees are touching the ground. This will give your posture stability.

Having created your posture, rock back and forth gently two or three times to make sure you are sitting on the sitting bones in your behind. Take three or four quiet, deep breaths.

Once settled, begin your practice. For those starting out, it is probably best to count the breath. This means to count in your mind ‚ one to ten and begin again ‚ on each exhalation. In your mind, perhaps it sounds a little like, "o-n-n-n-n-n-e, t-w-o-o-o, t-h-r-e-e-e, etc." One to ten and begin again. If there is an interruption ‚ some thought that is other than your counting ‚ just begin again. If you space out and find yourself at 27, then catch yourself, just begin again. Always, just begin again.

The most important part of practice is to keep your promise. If you say, "I will do zazen for ten minutes on Tuesday starting at 6:34 p.m.," then honor your promise. If for some reason you cannot keep your promise, admit it. Zen practice is primarily about paying attention and taking responsibility. So ... pay attention and take responsibility.

Best,

Abu
  • This is the best, most easy follow guide to meditation that I've found.... "Mindfulness in plain english" by bhante helenpola gunatarana. He has a particular gift for explaining with clarity in (plain) english.

http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe.html

You could also search for a local monestary.
  • dud meditating is easy. first off meditation has no set goal other than to look understand. you have to be mindful in meditation anything that you feel you have look at and accept for what it is. and surrender to the nothingness and let go. so how to do meditation it doesnt matter how you do it i do it with my eyes open a lot. thats fine. the main goal is to relax. and when you are relaxed you can look at each thought that comes up and you look at it and you say thats okay that is. the path to enlightenment is this meditation acceptance mindfulness and wisdom.
  • Sit down in a comfortable position.
    Close your eyes.
    Watch thoughts arise and dissolve.
    Make no effort to change the experience
    Eventually the mind becomes still.

That's all there is to it.
  • yeah thats a perfect way to put it. thanks. :)
  • I agree with MintyFresh0.

Here's what I do.

I either just sit, or just lie down.

That's all.

:)
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    edited October 2011
    ...and surrender to the nothingness and let go. so how to do meditation it doesnt matter how you do it i do it with my eyes open a lot.

...the main goal is to relax.
    I do that with the television everynight. The latter I call going asleep

...I either just sit, or just lie down.

That's all.

I´ve been meditating my whole life it seems

• You should know that the goal (if you could call it that) of meditation is to remove all that isn't you. It's kind of like a test to verify for yourself what you really are, and what illusions are being created by the mind. Meditation teaches you many things, but this is the core of it.

Sit down, shut up, and watch yourself exist without feeling the body or experiencing thoughts from the mind. You can verify first hand that whatever you are is beyond everything perceivable.

...do not think meditation will bring about astral projection or other nonsense, it is about getting to the truth that is all

• Where can I find a place to learn how to meditate?

wikipedia dosent count
    On the internet or in your area?

Where have you looked so far?
  • @Cinorjer

Internet, maybe helsinki if I can get there some day out

Wildmind.org and no where else really. I´ve been wary of soothing out from different sources so to not pick up bits of pieces of a wanting picture

There is really good advice actually there, and I have took some of the online courses which made my practice much more "deep". Now I feel like I can´t learn anything more, which is stupid I know, because I feel that there is so much I can practice with already, too much really, but that I just cant put the pieces together.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited October 2011
    http://www.mro.org/zmm/teachings/meditation.php

The place to learn meditation is on your own meditation cushion. :)

HELSINKI ZEN CENTER http://www.zazen.fi/index/HZCEnglish.html
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited October 2011
    @Fenix: Yup. There's nothing to learn here. Just stop creating the difficulty for yourself. Sit, relax. Lie down, relax.

• And despite what everyone else says here, of course it seems hard and unsure at the beginnning, .. or later.

But, like a bicycle, it just takes a lot of practice, a lot of doing, a lot of consistency. Take your time, read some of the instructions given, and then when you are ready seek out a real life center or teacher for guidance.

Meditation is not just "nothing" it's both everything and nothing. Don't be fooled by random comments, but also trust the teachings themself, and your inner guide which will show you when you are on uncertain footing.

Just another penny.

Best wishes,
    Abu
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    Either of these videos may be useful to you.

Or there is this series with Ajahn Jayasaro.

I'll echo what people have said that after a while you'll have to find a teacher, there is only so far you can go on your own.
  • This is the best, most easy follow guide to meditation that I've found.... "Mindfulness in plain english" by bhante helenpola gunatarana. He has a particular gift for explaining with clarity in (plain) english.

http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe.html

You could also search for a local monestary.
    I agree totally with this post. Mindfulness in plain English is the most helpful book I've read on the subject to date. And I've read quite a few. I highly recommend buying, and then reading and rereading this book. Its an excellent starting point.