Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

finding a teacher/sangha that can answer questions

AMHAMH
edited October 2011 in Sanghas
Hi all, I have been going to a Buddhist Study Group for a few years at our local Unitarian Universalist Church. It is a nice group and in fact I often lead the meditation and discussion. I have very little time to build up a new connection with another group however I have a question about an experience that needs a good teacher. I am not sure if I can just call around to ask to speak to a teacher even though I am not a regular attendee or what is the etiquette of that. I have been to other groups and generally the meditations are very nice and led by someone with experience however they are not always led by someone I think can answer my question, if that makes sense. Even though I have not worked with a sangha consistently I have been meditating for over 20 years (have had kids all this time so it is hard to get involved seriously). So what would you do? call around and make a donation? try to attend many and see if I sense a teacher who can answer my question? And of course I am impatient about all of this, better meditate some more.

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    The Mountains and Rivers Order of Zen offers a 'cybermonk' who answers your questions on the internet: cybermonk@mro.org.
  • You can also try contacting the centers, different teachers probably operate differently.

Best,
    Abu
  • Thank you, I may try the cyber monk for now since I do not see a time when I can start calling around even. Maybe Sunday I can go to a buddhist talk but it doesn't seem like the leader is a serious teacher, more just an informational talk with meditation.
  • The Mountains and Rivers Order of Zen offers a 'cybermonk' who answers your questions on the internet: cybermonk@mro.org.
    Thank you genkaku - this is both hilarious and heartwarming - not two, not one.
  • @AHeerdt you can try this one, zen online sangha.
    http://www.treeleaf.org/aboutreeleaf/
  • Thank you, I may try the cyber monk for now since I do not see a time when I can start calling around even. Maybe Sunday I can go to a buddhist talk but it doesn't seem like the leader is a serious teacher, more just an informational talk with meditation.
    You can just snoop around until you find one suited, isn't that how things work and a little info doesn't hurt I think. :)
  • @AHeerdt you can try this one, zen online sangha.
    http://www.treeleaf.org/aboutreeleaf/
    I wouldn't recommend that one. And online is just a substitute if anything IMO.
  • ManiMani Veteran
    Aheerdt,

Use the web and find some actual dharma centers that are somewhat close to where you live. Out of this list, see which school resonates with you, and if you are not sure yet, then try to take some time and pay them a visit. You can often arrange a meeting with the resident teacher at most centers. After all, that is what teachers do; teach dharma to those wishing to learn and practice! If you feel it is important at this point in your life, then you must try to overcome obstacles and find a teacher that resonates with you!

No time to waste, so get a plan together. You can do it!

:)

Good luck

Mani
  • The Mountains and Rivers Order of Zen offers a 'cybermonk' who answers your questions on the internet: cybermonk@mro.org.
    I think the online forum: Dhammawheel.com has a section called: Ask a monk, or something like that.
  • I am working on establishing a zen center in Hawaii and will also try to make myself available to interact with people on this an other websites, discuss issues, answer questions, etc. I am an American zen priest who has lived and studied in Japan and other countries. My Dharma name is Shodo Jishin.
  • I wonder if the admins would be amenable to creating an "Ask a Teacher" category...

The UU's sound really interesting. I know a number of practitioners of Eastern religions who have joined as much for the fellowship and community, as for anything else. Worth checking out.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Teachers are good.

Not-teachers are good.

When it comes to questions on the Internet, I think it is the substance of the answer, not the credentials of the answer-er, that counts.