Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What are some interesting things you know about Psychology?

edited October 2011 in Arts & Writings

Comments

• ToshTosh Veteran
    We have six minds and 51 mental factors. Five of those mental factors are always present (when we're conscious); oh, and mind is clear and aware.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited October 2011
    We have six minds and 51 mental factors. Five of those mental factors are always present (when we're conscious); oh, and mind is clear and aware.
    lolwut? I have 6 minds? Interesting...
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    lolwut? I have 6 minds? Interesting...
    Yes, you have eye mind, ear mind, nose mind, tongue mind, body mind and mind mind. :) Otherwise known as the "Six consciousnesses" or "Six vijñānas"

• shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    Is mind synomous with concioussness in Buddhism? I heard a teacher say that but as I was reading a book of Buddha's teachings it seemed on the contrary.

Just curious.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    I could be wrong.
  • lol interesting!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2011
    There are 5 skandas: form, feeling (like or dislike or neutral), perception (a sound or so forth), formations (opinions or interests etc), and consciousness.

All sentient beings have these skandas.

A rock is not a sentient being because it only has the form skanda. Actually a rock is part of the form skanda of other sentient beings such as a geologist who picks up the rock. The rock is part of that geologists form skanda and he has feelings etc about that rock.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    From my course book:

"If we wander through life unconsciously, simply reacting to what-ever arises in our lives, our surroundings will have an immense influence on our mental well-being. But by beginning to understand the relationship between our minds and the objects they encounter, we can begin to use our minds to influence our surroundings instead."

I'm still fairly new to Buddhism, but doing a two-year foundation course and my current four month subject is Buddhist psychology.

It's a bit dry - so far - to be honest; there's lots of lists. We're currently going through each of the 51 mental factors. I'm sure boredom is one of 'em, but we haven't done that one yet.

But despite my sarcasm, happiness only happens in the mind; so I guess it's an important topic. And a more general point is that modern psychology seems to try to integrate the elements of a personality so that they can exist in a relatively peaceful way, Buddhist psychology is a way of breaking down those elements, so you can see that no 'personality' (self) is there in the first place; our 'self' is just another imputation upon our aggregates.

• ToshTosh Veteran
    Is mind synomous with concioussness in Buddhism? I heard a teacher say that but as I was reading a book of Buddha's teachings it seemed on the contrary.

Just curious.
    Yes, I'm pretty sure it is.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2011
    In Buddhism, mind is synonymous with consciousness, feelings, perceptions and thoughts (mental formations)... in other words, the four aggregates other than "form". All of them. :) Consciousness is one of them, and if you want a good synonym for that it would be "awareness" (which requires an object to be aware of).
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    As far as modern psychology goes, one of the most interesting things I have come across is called "Defense Mechanisms". Once it is learned what they are, you can see people using them every day, even yourself! It's quite interesting. :)

http://personalitycafe.com/general-psychology/13457-ego-defenses.html
  • That everyone is crazy and the degree of our crazy is in direct proportion to the amount of our self obsessed delusional thought. :)
  • Carl Jung...

Let me insert consciousness of this book into your brain... Cosmos and Psyche by Richard Tarnas. Check it out sometime.
  • among the many things i've learned about the psychology of our mindset through my own personal experiences the one thing that stands out is that our subconscious can be reprogrammed, freeing us of the baggage of conditioning... it requires effort on the part of the individual and can take as long as a month to accomplish but like anything thing else that requires dedication, it can be well worth in the end...

Kensho
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I like the bumper sticker that seems to sum up psychology fairly succinctly: "Don't believe everything you think."