Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

mindful eating?

cabossimncabossimn Veteran
edited October 2011 in Diet & Habits
how do you personally do it? how is it done?

Comments

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    "Mindful eating is very pleasant. We sit beautifully. We are aware of the people that are sitting around us. We are aware of the food on our plates. This is a deep practice. Each morsel of food is an ambassador from the cosmos. When we pick up a piece of a vegetable, we look at it for half a second. We look mindfully to really recognize the piece of food, the piece of carrot or string bean. We should know that this is a piece of carrot or a string bean. We identify it with our mindfulness: "I know this is a piece of carrot. This is a piece of string bean." It only takes a fraction of a second.

When we are mindful, we recognize what we are picking up. When we put it into our mouth, we know what we are putting into our mouth. When we chew it, we know what we are chewing. It's very simple.

Some of us, while looking at a piece of carrot, can see the whole cosmos in it, can see the sunshine in it, can see the earth in it. It has come from the whole cosmos for our nourishment.

You may like to smile to it before you put it in your mouth. When you chew it, you are aware that you are chewing a piece of carrot. Don't put anything else into your mouth, like your projects, your worries, your fear, just put the carrot in.

And when you chew, chew only the carrot, not your projects or your ideas. You are capable of living in the present moment, in the here and the now. It is simple, but you need some training to just enjoy the piece of carrot. This is a miracle."

from thich nhat hanh via this website. the article goes on to further explain other practices that might be helpful.
  • I'm such a scoffer when it comes to food. :(
  • One small step I've incorporated to help eat more mindfully is simply the act of chewing every single bite of my food. I'd not noticed that I tended to just swallow so much without even chewing. When I chew slowly and completely, I taste the food more, I enjoy all the sensory experiences of eating more fully, and it's helped with portion control and emotional eating issues.

Zombiegirl's post from the website is an excellent description.