Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Insanity

Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
edited October 2011 in Philosophy
Is there a line between sanity and insanity?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    yes. It's called having children.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    :clap:
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited October 2011
    Sorry for the repetition:

Once upon a time there was a little bird who refused to fly south for the winter. His friends argued and begged, but the little bird was adamant: He wasn't going. So the other birds flew off and the little bird remained. Pretty soon, the wind began to blow and the snow began to fall and the temperature dropped precipitously. The little bird began to rethink his earlier decision. Finally, he made up his mind and took off after his friends.

Alas, he was too late. Ice began to form on his wings. It grew harder and harder to fly. He tried and tried, but at last he was was just too exhausted and fell to earth, convinced that he would die.

As it happened, the little bird landed in a cow pasture and as he lay there waiting for death to take him, a passing cow crapped on him. The manure thawed his body and wings. The little bird was so overjoyed that he began to sing. A passing cat heard the singing, dug through the manure, found the little bird and promptly ate him.

There are three morals to this story:

1. Not everyone who shits on you is necessarily your enemy.

2. Not everyone who gets you out of the shit is necessarily your friend.

and

3. If you're happy in your own (sane or insane) pile of shit, keep your mouth shut.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Yes, when you do things that you know have bad results, but you do them anyway because you like doing them, that is insanity. To not do things that you know have good results, because you don't like doing them, that is insanity.

Sane means to abstain from doing things that you know have bad results, even if you like doing them. Sane means to do things that have good results, even though you may not like doing them. :)
  • Insanity is just an infinitely steep learning curve.
  • Sane vs. insane is subjective....what is "normal"?

I think skydiving is insane, however people do it all the time. Your mileage may vary, just sayin'.

• "When we remember that we are all insane, the mysteries disappear and life
    stands explained." MARK TWAIN

Then there was the Buddhist monk who said to a hot dog vendor -- "Make me one with everything."

• Yes, when you do things that you know have bad results, but you do them anyway because you like doing them, that is insanity. To not do things that you know have good results, because you don't like doing them, that is insanity.

Sane means to abstain from doing things that you know have bad results, even if you like doing them. Sane means to do things that have good results, even though you may not like doing them. :)
    Great, well distilled! I like the metaphor for insainty "planting apple seeds and wishing for oranges."

• Then there was the Buddhist monk who said to a hot dog vendor -- "Make me one with everything."

:)
  • found the little bird and promptly ate him.
    I hope it doesn't happen.

_/\_
  • @genkaku nice story

:thumbsup:
  • Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and over again while expecting a different result from the apparent outcome
  • I'd say there might be a gray area between sanity and insanity. Such as: Borderline Personality Disorder, Pathological Narcissism, and a number of other diagnoses. Some people manage to function in society, but when you look at their behavior, it can be noticeably dysfunctional. But that's still a far cry from insanity. We do have a member who seems to have a background in psychology, maybe she'll give us an opinion.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    yes. It's called having children.
    lol fed i don't have kids, i am insane and somehow i understand
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    "Insanity is hereditary.
    Parents get it from their children."

I like the one that goes,

"If your parents had no children, it's highly likely that you won't either."

huh........?
  • im technichally insane if i stay off my meds long enough.
  • but that doesnt happen for weeks
  • or days depending
    How about staying on the meds and remaining technically sane?

That would be best for you. :)
    now i get the whole buddhist monk/waking up thing

• Then there was the Buddhist monk who said to a hot dog vendor -- "Make me one with everything."

WHY IS A BUDDHIST MONK BUYING A HOT DOG?
    edited October 2011
    where does it say he is....?

And why wouldn't he?
    :eek2:
    I'm not coming back to this thread till I've crossed that line
    what, this one.....?

------------------------------

or this one?

-~-~-~-~
  • Being subject to birth and death, and clinging to that existence as one's self is insanity. Probably 99.9% of human beings on planet earth do this. I exclude the .1% assuming that there may, by chance, be a few Arahants among us. However that percentage may very well be .01% or .001% or .0001% or .0000000001%. It might even be 0%.