Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is a vegivore ?

Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
edited October 2011 in Diet & Habits

For a wake up call on how much flesh we eat, a day in a chicken processing plant is hard to beat. Live chickens sit quietly in crates at one end soon to appear at the other, neatly sliced or diced. The day I was there around 75,000 chickens were killed, processed and packed in cling wrap ready to send to a supermarket near you. That’s around one million birds a month from a single plant – a drop in the bucket of the 459 million chickens slaughtered in Australia each year.

I left this plant impressed and distressed in equal amounts – impressed at the operation’s squeaky clean efficiency, but distressed by the numbers of birds that die to keep us in kebabs and stir fry strips. It’s not like industrial scale killing is any big secret - one glance in the supermarket chiller tells us we’re chowing down a lot of animals.But a first hand view of the process that turns so many warm living things into cold naked fillets provides a different perspective. So with that in mind I set myself a challenge: take a good chicken recipe and cook it – without the chicken.

WHAT?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    What bit don't you get?
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Thanks.
  • one time i was in a car and the truck before us was full of chicken in their cages going probably to the slaughterhouse, the smell was awkful and i felt very sorry for them..an animal is a living thing..i am a vegan since 25 years,i do not support animal killing, i think the karma you cause by eating an animal and causing his death is sticking to you..the problem is also how these chicken spend their life, totally pitiful, the suffering is permanent, i do not understand how people cannot see they are living things..we can live without causing that sort of suffering.
  • A vegivore is a person who eats vegetarians.
  • *haha* what a perfect circle *smile*
  • A vegivore is a person who eats vegetarians.
    Snap!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Anybody think the programme "Man versus food" is an obscene demonstration of ultimate gluttony....?

It's being broadcast on UKTV at the moment. I can't bear it....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1342711/
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Anybody think the programme "Man versus food" is an obscene demonstration of ultimate gluttony....?

It's being broadcast on UKTV at the moment. I can't bear it....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1342711/
    haha, that's america for you. one of the places i worked had some sort of ultimate burger challenge. i can't even remember how big it was now, but believe me, it was disgusting...

i often wonder what a person from a third world country would think if they happened to see a program such as this one.

on a side note, in the newer episodes of MvF, he no longer does the challenges himself, but instead enlists local people to attempt them. i'm sure he received some sort of warning from his doctor. but i will say that the ones that deal with extreme heat (taste, not temperature) are rather interesting to me for some reason. curiosity, i suppose.