Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

When we practise Buddha's teachings we should do so without ommiting or adding anything.

cazcaz VeteranUnited Kingdom Veteran
edited October 2011 in Buddhism Basics
In "Sublime continuum of the Great vehcile" Maitreya says...

"In this world there is no one more skilled then Buddha. His Omniscient mind directly perceives all objects to be known, without exception. Therefore we should practise whatever Buddha taught. If we impose our own interpretations or omit anything we are destroying Buddhadharma."

:)

Comments

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited October 2011
    But then comes the issue of, "What exactly are the teachings of the Buddha?" Some scriptures are disputed as to whether or not they are the literal words attributed to the Buddha. Either way, the writings were written down and orally shared through people other than the Buddha. They were a filter who most likely had their own interpretations as well.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    But then comes the issue of, "What exactly are the teachings of the Buddha?" Some scriptures are disputed as to whether or not they are the literal words attributed to the Buddha. Either way, the writings were written down and orally shared through people other than the Buddha. They were a filter who most likely had their own interpretations as well.
    In order to find that out one has to check the lineage, logically deduce what minds arise from meditating upon what, Check the example of those practising these methods purely and put it into practise yourself. There is not one tradition that was recorded one parchment at the time of the Buddha so all deserve some investigation as to the validity of there ability to get one out of Samsara and help others :)
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited October 2011
    I would second that one caz, as you well know :p
  • In "Sublime continuum of the Great vehcile" Maitreya says...

"In this world there is no one more skilled then Buddha. His Omniscient mind directly perceives all objects to be known, without exception. Therefore we should practise whatever Buddha taught. If we impose our own interpretations or omit anything we are destroying Buddhadharma."

then you become like a soldier...don't you?
    wear a uniform, speak like a parrot, see from one eye, and create uniformity which is the opposite of this nature, clearly...and at the end what do you hope to get? even buddha didnt answer it other than promising some sort of liberation...
    I see people destroying their unique individual potential
    I see more suffering
    I see clueless individuals walking in a path blindly
    I see confusion
    I see false promises
    I see disagreement even on the basics

But,having said that, I see no problem with any religion if you feel comfortable and if you feel happy with it. But don't look at to a distant future...Are you happy right now!? If not, forget it!
    Accept everything that life brings upon you, but reject everything telling you how to live. Even this sentence is problematic in that sense!

• It doesn't matter if something was said by 'the' buddha. What matters is if it is helpful in your life, to escape samsara, or to bring enlightenment to others.
  • If you followed the buddha's teachings you would follow the path, the true path. You may end up with clear view, compassion, wisdom and yes even a uniform maybe, (robes) but then again you may not.

I agree that any religion has the ability to change a person's life into something positive, but personally I would consider what the blessed one spoke, taught and practiced. The name buddhism kind of gives it away.

But sure, we are all human and can take what we want from this religion, that religion or wherever to better ourselves and to help those around us, just personally I am going with the wise one on this.

then you become like a soldier...don't you?
    wear a uniform, speak like a parrot, see from one eye, and create uniformity which is the opposite of this nature, clearly...and at the end what do you hope to get? even buddha didnt answer it other than promising some sort of liberation...
    I see people destroying their unique individual potential
    I see more suffering
    I see clueless individuals walking in a path blindly
    I see confusion
    I see false promises
    I see disagreement even on the basics

But,having said that, I see no problem with any religion if you feel comfortable and if you feel happy with it. But don't look at to a distant future...Are you happy right now!? If not, forget it!
    Accept everything that life brings upon you, but reject everything telling you how to live. Even this sentence is problematic in that sense!

Buddha taught a path to freedom from suffering, This path has a method and the method is to apply Buddha teachings as he taught them to his students in the lineages they are received them from so as they are intact and still convey the essence of liberation and enlightenment to do otherwise is to wonder away from what is liberating and follow our own deluded and misinformed opinions which stemming from self-grasping and self cherishing Ignorance this is the gateway to all suffering. If we are follow our own version of what Dharma is and we are destroying Buddha's teachings and bringing the Dharma ending age to its swift conclusion by creating false Dharma and adding more confusion to the world and others we encounter.

It is better to be a parrot of an enlightened one who's wisdom free's the mind from suffering then to be a parrot of the Mara's who do nothing but lead us to suffering.

Buddhadharma or Adharma everyone has a choice. It is unwise to confuse our own opinions as that of the Buddha's or other accomplished beings. :)

• Buddha taught a path to freedom from suffering, This path has a method and the method is to apply Buddha teachings as he taught them to his students in the lineages they are received them from so as they are intact and still convey the essence of liberation and enlightenment to do otherwise is to wonder away from what is liberating and follow our own deluded and misinformed opinions which stemming from self-grasping and self cherishing Ignorance this is the gateway to all suffering. If we are follow our own version of what Dharma is and we are destroying Buddha's teachings and bringing the Dharma ending age to its swift conclusion by creating false Dharma and adding more confusion to the world and others we encounter.

It is better to be a parrot of an enlightened one who's wisdom free's the mind from suffering then to be a parrot of the Mara's who do nothing but lead us to suffering.

Buddhadharma or Adharma everyone has a choice. It is unwise to confuse our own opinions as that of the Buddha's or other accomplished beings. :)
    What method...I have one method...obey the nature...
    Even Buddha has no match for the nature...
    Nature has its own way of correecting things.
    If you are here, today, deluded, then thats what it is supposed to be. Nature - countless times of evolution - and it is wrong but Buddha is right? You are denying what nature has given to you. You don't need anything! Nothing.
    If you are self grasping and self cherishing then this is how it is supposed to be.

Your body is the product of this nature, your thoughts are no different. They are also part of the nature.

Buddha was lucky. He had no Buddhism to follow!

Buddha taught a path to freedom from suffering, This path has a method and the method is to apply Buddha teachings as he taught them to his students in the lineages they are received them from so as they are intact and still convey the essence of liberation and enlightenment to do otherwise is to wonder away from what is liberating and follow our own deluded and misinformed opinions which stemming from self-grasping and self cherishing Ignorance this is the gateway to all suffering. If we are follow our own version of what Dharma is and we are destroying Buddha's teachings and bringing the Dharma ending age to its swift conclusion by creating false Dharma and adding more confusion to the world and others we encounter.

If you are here, today, deluded, then thats what it is supposed to be. Nature - countless times of evolution - and it is wrong but Buddha is right? You are denying what nature has given to you. You don't need anything! Nothing.
    If you are self grasping and self cherishing then this is how it is supposed to be.

Your body is the product of this nature, your thoughts are no different. They are also part of the nature.

This is Adharma or false teachings. This shows no understanding at all. Buddha came with a path to freedom from suffering but then again there are people who have grown acustomed to their suffering and are under the illusion this is the way things have to be. :)

• Buddha taught a path to freedom from suffering, This path has a method and the method is to apply Buddha teachings as he taught them to his students in the lineages they are received them from so as they are intact and still convey the essence of liberation and enlightenment to do otherwise is to wonder away from what is liberating and follow our own deluded and misinformed opinions which stemming from self-grasping and self cherishing Ignorance this is the gateway to all suffering. If we are follow our own version of what Dharma is and we are destroying Buddha's teachings and bringing the Dharma ending age to its swift conclusion by creating false Dharma and adding more confusion to the world and others we encounter.

This is Adharma or false teachings. This shows no understanding at all. Buddha came with a path to freedom from suffering but then again there are people who have grown acustomed to their suffering and are under the illusion this is the way things have to be. :)
    You just conceptualize what I said..."false teachings" and "no understanding" based on something you read instead of your own logic.
    Thats what religion does to people...you turn into parrots...exactly my point

You just conceptualize what I said..."false teachings" and "no understanding" based on something you read instead of your own logic.
    Thats what religion does to people...you turn into parrots...exactly my point
    Your point was exactly what you wrote and has the following response because it was read clearly :)
  • Too many nested quotes!

• Your point was exactly what you wrote and has the following response because it was read clearly :)
    And thats nature, isn't it...nothing is wrong here...it is as it is supposed to be!

• ... Therefore we should practise whatever Buddha taught. If we impose our own interpretations or omit anything we are destroying Buddhadharma."

What do you really believe?
    Don’t look for a reference in the sutras; don’t give me a quote; I’m asking you.

That’s how it is for me. I have to be honest with myself. I don’t want to play stupid games anymore.
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    edited October 2011
    We don't have anymore the (mis)fortune of living in a more or less isolated country with one (or at most a few) dominating schools of Buddhism that have no awareness of the others and thus believe that their teachings represent the complete teachings of the Buddha - as was the case in the past.
    edited October 2011

That sounds like closer to Taoism to me.

But one interesting thing I heard about the evolution recently - it's a mistake to think that evolution is a process of continuous improvement.

Where does that leave us?

Well, the Buddha said that samsara doesn't get anywhere.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    Literalism does not get you anywhere. Just look at the evangelical movement among Christians.

"We don't care about reason and logic! If our book said Earth was created in 6 days and about 6,000 years ago. It is true! Why? Because the 2,000 year old book SAID SO!"
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited October 2011

Accept everything that life brings upon you, but reject everything telling you how to live.
    Reject the advice to not kill and not steal, etc? That doesn't seem wise. :) To emulate the behavior of a Buddha IS wise because when you do, you stop, somewhat, the making of more bad karma. If everyone emulated the behavior of a Buddha, even if it's just "parroting", things like murder, rape, war, etc. would cease to exist!

• That sounds like closer to Taoism to me.

But one interesting thing I heard about the evolution recently - it's a mistake to think that evolution is a process of continuous improvement.

Where does that leave us?

Well, the Buddha said that samsara doesn't get anywhere.
    I know nothing about Taoism.. Not even read one single paragprah about taoism. I am not taoist. I find my own truth... I only speak what I believe.

Evolution is an improvement. Look around you and you decide. Even the level of consciousness today is improving compared to previous times. More and more people awakening. Although still room for improvement, we have democracy. People are helping each other. Higher consciousness is not a product of technology, technology is the product of higher consciousness and evolution.
    Why nature waste something? Is nature ever waste something? Your improved consciouss level, why nature should waste it? Dont be afraid from downgrading or borning in hell etc.
    You are perfect. Each and everyone of you is perfect. All teachings want you to believe you are some kind of a disease, a flaw in nature. I don't believe that.
    Nature knows where it is going. You all are part of the plan by your existence.
    I was already an ethical person before Buddhism, and nothing changed. I still am... My ethical or moral values are not determined by religion.
    You want to escape because thats what they teach you! That you are a mistake. If I am a mistake than nature knows how to fix it...
    I am here with perfectly designed body, and ability to think and be aware of it. And you are telling me these are curse??? No, I don't accept that.
    My suffering and my joy are also part of the nature.
    If there is enlightenment, if there is Buddha land etc...one day you will all reach there when your time comes. Stop pressuring yourselves with religion and be a unique just like nature created you!
    I am not here for religion...religion is here for me...
    edited October 2011
    For example, if you want to be a professional golfer, or whatever, you try to swing the golf club like the actual professionals do, because they know how to do it right and you don't. So you practice being like them because they shoot a score of 68, meanwhile you are shooting a score of 110, which is terrible. :) The way to shoot a score of 68 is to do the same things that they do and not do the things they they don't do. :)

• Reject the advice to not kill and not steal, etc? That doesn't seem wise. :) To emulate the behavior of a Buddha IS wise because when you do, you stop, somewhat, the making of more bad karma. If everyone emulated the behavior of a Buddha, even if it's just "parroting", things like murder, rape, war, etc. would cease to exist!

Sir, I am not killing or stealing...I am not doing those things NOT because Buddhism told me so. I am not doing those things because this is who I am. I am who I am...Obviously my evolution is made me a person who I am today , it is not the teachings. Your values are within you, not on the paper!
    Your religion doesnt improve one's well being, it only surprasses one's potential and individuality.

• For example, if you want to be a professional golfer, or whatever, you try to swing the golf club like the actual professionals do, because they know how to do it right and you don't. So you practice being like them because they shoot a score of 68, meanwhile you are shooting a score of 110, which is terrible. :) The way to shoot a score of 68 is to do the same things that they do and not do the things they they don't do. :)
    and soo...what is your point?
    edited October 2011

Reject the advice to not kill and not steal, etc? That doesn't seem wise. :) To emulate the behavior of a Buddha IS wise because when you do, you stop, somewhat, the making of more bad karma. If everyone emulated the behavior of a Buddha, even if it's just "parroting", things like murder, rape, war, etc. would cease to exist!

Sir, I am not killing or stealing...I am not doing those things NOT because Buddhism told me so. I am not doing those things because this is who I am. I am who I am...Obviously my evolution is made me a person who I am today , it is not the teachings. Your values are within you, not on the paper!
    Your religion doesnt improve one's well being, it only surprasses one's potential and individuality.

To say "ignore the Buddha's advice" is unwise no matter how you try to spin it. That is my point. :)

• Reject the advice to not kill and not steal, etc? That doesn't seem wise. :) To emulate the behavior of a Buddha IS wise because when you do, you stop, somewhat, the making of more bad karma. If everyone emulated the behavior of a Buddha, even if it's just "parroting", things like murder, rape, war, etc. would cease to exist!

To say "ignore the Buddha's advice" is unwise no matter how you try to spin it. That is my point. :)

parroting...just like any other religious people...
    If it is unwise then so be it...
    @zen_world,

By your own logic, I should practice my chosen path and follow its teachings. After all the nature makes me do so.

• @zen_world,

By your own logic, I should practice my chosen path and follow its teachings. After all the nature makes me do so.

absoulately....thats perfectly fine...thats what I did too...

• the very fact that you are looking and searching...is the evolution...

parroting...just like any other religious people...
    If it is unwise then so be it...
    "Parroting" is a mental fabrication. It is not a coincidence that all the Buddhist masters say the same things. :) "Buddhism" is the practice of what the Buddha taught. If you don't need that, then why do you even come to this forum?

• For example, if you want to be a professional golfer, or whatever, you try to swing the golf club like the actual professionals do, because they know how to do it right and you don't. So you practice being like them because they shoot a score of 68, meanwhile you are shooting a score of 110, which is terrible. :) The way to shoot a score of 68 is to do the same things that they do and not do the things they they don't do. :)
    Buddhism is about life –not about playing a game of golf.
    Trying to be a copy of someone else is not getting us anywhere in life.
    It’s better to wake up to who we really are.

But it’s time to get some sleep for me.
    Tomorrow there will be other dogmatic windmills to fight.

• "Parroting" is a mental fabrication. It is not a coincidence that all the Buddhist masters say the same things. :) "Buddhism" is the practice of what the Buddha taught. If you don't need that, then why do you even come to this forum?

because I dont see Buddhists, I see spiritual people...
  • @zen_world
    If you think Buddhism tells us that we're a mistake, this is not a very good understanding of Buddhism, and I'm wondering why you've chosen to come to our forum if it's your purpose to actually invalidate Buddhism and tell people it's their mistake to be here. That doesn't seem to be helpful at all to new Buddhists.

The Buddha merely investigated the mind, and through his determination was able to finally understand that the cause of all of our "problems" is of the mind, created by the mind, and that we have the capability of rising above them. We have the capability of living fully in every moment without generating (for ourselves or others) or experiencing any kind of suffering. This is a natural evolution in thought precipitated by that very suffering. It's not necessary that everyone choose to apply the Buddha's teachings to become liberated, but it is that very suffering that drives people to those teachings. It's a gateway, a path, to those who seek a path. If you don't seek it, then leave those people alone and live your own life.
    For example, if you want to be a professional golfer, or whatever, you try to swing the golf club like the actual professionals do, because they know how to do it right and you don't. So you practice being like them because they shoot a score of 68, meanwhile you are shooting a score of 110, which is terrible. :) The way to shoot a score of 68 is to do the same things that they do and not do the things they they don't do. :)
    Buddhism is about life –not about playing a game of golf.
    Trying to be a copy of someone else is not getting us anywhere in life.
    It’s better to wake up to who we really are.

But it’s time to get some sleep for me.
    Tomorrow there will be other dogmatic windmills to fight.
    Buddhism is about what the Buddha practiced and taught. :)

>>It’s better to wake up to who we really are.

Yes! And doing things that the Buddha advised against doing, prevents that from happening.

As for the golf thing, the words of a Zen master comes to mind.

"But sadly we do attach to words, usually missing what they point at." ~Zen Master Wu Bong.
  • @zen_world
    If you think Buddhism tells us that we're a mistake, this is not a very good understanding of Buddhism, and I'm wondering why you've chosen to come to our forum if it's your purpose to actually invalidate Buddhism and tell people it's their mistake to be here. That doesn't seem to be helpful at all to new Buddhists.

The Buddha merely investigated the mind, and through his determination was able to finally understand that the cause of all of our "problems" is of the mind, created by the mind, and that we have the capability of rising above them. We have the capability of living fully in every moment without generating (for ourselves or others) or experiencing any kind of suffering. This is a natural evolution in thought precipitated by that very suffering. It's not necessary that everyone choose to apply the Buddha's teachings to become liberated, but it is that very suffering that drives people to those teachings. It's a gateway, a path, to those who seek a path. If you don't seek it, then leave those people alone and live your own life.
    If you don't want me or my opinions on this website, I can go and never come back. No problem. But whoever doesnt want to listen to me can choose to do so. I am not putting a gun to somebody's head. Ofcourse you also have an option to ban me because I share my feelings and opinions -being the moderator and all!

"Each one of you is perfect the way you are and you can use a little improvement."
  • "Each one of you is perfect the way you are and you can use a little improvement."
    sorry I am not responding anymore...obviously my comments upset some people...it wasnt my intention...actually there is nothing to be upset about...it is just a conversation...
    "Each one of you is perfect the way you are and you can use a little improvement."
    sorry I am not responding anymore...obviously my comments upset some people...it wasnt my intention...actually there is nothing to be upset about...it is just a conversation...
    I am not upset at all. If you choose not to respond that's fine.

... Therefore we should practise whatever Buddha taught. If we impose our own interpretations or omit anything we are destroying Buddhadharma."

What do you really believe?
    Don’t look for a reference in the sutras; don’t give me a quote; I’m asking you.

That’s how it is for me. I have to be honest with myself. I don’t want to play stupid games anymore.
    What do I believe? That the Buddha's Dharma is correct :)
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited October 2011
    Ultimately you can not hide.
    There will be situations in your life where (your idea of) Buddha is not going to supply the answers and it is your call...

Where wil you turn then?
    There will be situations in your life where (your idea of) Buddha is not going to supply the answers and it is your call...

Where wil you turn then?
    To refuge :)
  • Still trying to hide.
    Still trying to hide.
    Its called being a practising Buddhist :)
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited October 2011
    I recently have come to kind of drop zen as it is often paridoxical and contradictory, it seems more of a hippy branch of buddhism to me, although it may lead some people to liberation-however not myself personally.
  • Dogmatic faith = deep fear.
    I was raised in a dogmatic Christian environment and I have lived with that fear as a child.

I don’t want Buddhism to be another cramp in the mind, produced by the same fear.

For me Buddhism is not another dogmatic beliefsystem; it is a way of making this deep fear – which makes us cling to dogmatic beliefsystems in the first place – go away.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    Didnt the "teachings" we're supposed to 'follow' leave this world 500 years after Buddha?
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    meh nvm
    edited October 2011
    Didnt the "teachings" we're supposed to 'follow' leave this world 500 years after Buddha?
    No they are still here alive and well,That date should be at least 5000 years not 500 hundred :)
    edited October 2011
    There will be situations in your life where (your idea of) Buddha is not going to supply the answers
    The Dharma supplies all the answers one will ever need...if you actually practice it earnestly. Because if you do, you stop asking unanswerable questions because questions like that don't matter to begin with. Questions like that are a function of clinging and practice the dharma removes clinging. :)

• ''If there is any doubt or apprehension in your mind about the valdility of buddha, the dharma and the sangha as being the ultimate objects of refuge, even though you may have taken part in a refuge ceremony, that very suspicion or doubt prevents you from being a practicing buddhist, at least for the time being'' - the Dalai Lama

The dharma should be known and followed as it was founded and taught from the blessed one.
  • I give up.
  • why do you give up zenff, it only boils down to a matter of opinion and one should not get emotional over such a descussion. I also have something written by the DL which may refresh you a little :)

''The buddha taught in different ways, and buddhism has a variety of philosophical systems. Each one of these schools quotes the word of the buddha from the sutras. If the buddha taught in these different ways, it would seem that he himself was not very sure about how things really are! But this is not the case; the buddha knew different mental dispositions of his followers. The main purpose of teaching a religion is to help people, not to become famous, so he taught what was suitable to his listeners''

By the way, I do not live in fear through dogmatic faith :)