Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Centering Prayer

edited October 2011 in General Banter
I have read about Centering prayer with is Christian based i suppose and found it very similar to Buddhist Meditation for example,

Choose a sacred word that best supports your sincere intention to be in the Lord's presence and open to His divine action within you (i.e. "Jesus", "Lord," "God," "Savior," "Abba," "Divine," "Shalom," "Spirit," "Love," etc.).

3. Let that word be gently present as your symbol of your sincere intention to be in the Lord's presence and open to His divine action within you.

4. Whenever you become aware of anything (thoughts, feelings, perceptions, images, associations, etc.), gently return to your sacred word, your anchor. Ideally, the prayer will reach the point where you are no longer engaged in your thoughts as they arrive on your stream of consciousness. The time suggested for each prayer period is twenty minutes.

Any thoughts? i found it interesting.

Comments

• A lot of religions other than Buddhism have a tradition of meditation. For example, there are a lot of meditation practices within Judaism - such as hitbonenut. As far as I know, the centering prayer comes from the works of Trappist monks, who are contemplative monastics.