Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Never to fight back? Never to fight for your life or the life of others??

2»

Comments

• I agree with the spirit of your argument: the problem that must be addressed is whatever phenomena are at work causing these people to become the way they are. Their behavior is a symptom, a byproduct, not the cause in and of itself. But you must understand that their behavior, unchecked, may become the cause of someone else's profound suffering, and that this suffering may be so great as to prevent that person from ever fulfilling their nature, or understanding dharma.

I am just stressing the fact that some people are beyond reach. They are virtually in Hell, and nothing gets through to them. The toxicity of their hell-experience leaks out of them and damages the world around them, compounding the problem further. I do not believe that imprisoning, exiling or killing these people is an unwholesome act. I do not believe that these acts, inherently, will generate unwholesome karmic fruit. This depends on the nature, intention and understanding of the agent of this 'punishment'.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I agree with everything you say except this:
    I do not believe that imprisoning, exiling or killing these people is an unwholesome act. I do not believe that these acts, inherently, will generate unwholesome karmic fruit. This depends on the nature, intention and understanding of the agent of this 'punishment'.
    I disagree.

• Well there are people who think that killing or harming in the name of ... is righteous.
    Wrong intention is wrong intention. There is no better wrong intention, still it is wrong intention out of wrong view.

As long as we have wrong view we see other being as better or worse, good or bad and judge them in that way. :wave:

When people fighting each other, I always think of my part on it and try to change it first before I judge them. We also need to walk in their shoes first to act wisely and understand whats going on.
  • HanzzeHanzze Veteran
    edited October 2011
    I agree with everything you say except this:
    I do not believe that imprisoning, exiling or killing these people is an unwholesome act. I do not believe that these acts, inherently, will generate unwholesome karmic fruit. This depends on the nature, intention and understanding of the agent of this 'punishment'.
    I disagree.

Yes, but that's the way how it works on what you had agreed. To take the beautiful words is one thing, but to stand in front of the slayer another.

You can not change me if I don't like, its a strange misunderstanding that anything except our own cetana is the cause of our actions. We can not give others the blame for our acts as well as not for our fruits.

"Ohh the society made me that what I am... The world is so mad..." how comes that you are there?
    :wave:
  • Good discussion. I'd like to continue, but I have to go to sleep. Goodnight. :)
  • Wish you a cool and dreamless night! *smile*
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited October 2011
    I do not believe that imprisoning, exiling or killing these people is an unwholesome act.
    Imprisoning them is not unwholesome because that is what is needed to protect other people from them. Killing them most certainly is. :)

>stand in front of the slayer another

Yes it is! And to stand there with the idea of wanting them to be dead or to kill them, instead of ideas and feelings of pity and compassion, is a product and result of unwholesomeness in the mind to begin with. :) One who has a wholesome mind, wishes no harm to come to ANYONE, regardless of what acts they have committed or not comitted. :)