Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Money wastage and "Research"

XraymanXrayman Veteran
edited March 2006 in Buddhism Today
Hi everybody,

Ever seen an incredible waste of money? A while ago some scientist was awarded $60,000 to investigate why the size of penises on crocodiles in the everglades swamps were diminishing.

And more recently, here in Australia, someone was given a $10,000 grant to build a surfboard specifically for women. (the result is absolutely no different to a "mans" surfboard). I'm not discussing the male/female issue here, just the funding scam involved.

We have homeless people on the streets, and our children lack a decent education, but apparently we "Need" to have money dedicated to this type of research.

Is this fair?

just a question for you to ponder.

Xrayman.:-/

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    I agree, it does beggar belief sometimes..... research done in the honourable name of science, which just by asking a few questions, would have produced more immediate and far cheaper results:

Like the research done that shows women like to browse and window-shop, whilst men just go in, shop and come out again

Research done that shows that in doing this, women buy too much, whilst men buy the wrong things.

Research done that shows women gossip more, but that men are more reticent.

Research that shows that in doing this, women tend to live longer, but that men hold in feelings and are therefore more prone to stress, dying of related problems younger.

I could go on, but like Xrayman, I'm not gender-bashing - just highlighting the ridiculous amount of money squandered, that could have been spent better elsewhere....

Can I tap any of these funding agencies for a fiver?

I aim to carry out extensive and exghaustive research that will show that if you spend money, you have less left over....!!
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    The latest one that I've heard is, "According to research, if you don't complete high school, you are more likely to be unemployed and have a lower paying job" well DUH!

We need research to figure that one out!

regards,
    Xrayman
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Yes, I agree that they're are many dubious research programs being funded in the world today. I have a hard time with a lot of the research which uses animals as subjects. And there are others that are clearly ridiculous.

But the one you mentioned about the alligators might be about Dioxin, which would be a very valid study.

Brigid
  • edited February 2006
    Xrayman wrote:
    Hi everybody,

Ever seen an incredible waste of money? A while ago some scientist was awarded $60,000 to investigate why the size of penises on crocodiles in the everglades swamps were diminishing.

And more recently, here in Australia, someone was given a $10,000 grant to build a surfboard specifically for women. (the result is absolutely no different to a "mans" surfboard). I'm not discussing the male/female issue here, just the funding scam involved.

We have homeless people on the streets, and our children lack a decent education, but apparently we "Need" to have money dedicated to this type of research.

Is this fair?

just a question for you to ponder.

Xrayman.:-/

Hi Xrayman!

No, it isn't fair. However, it's been going on for years. I get really irked :rant: at the thought of the waste of my tax dollars---I am sure that most people do! LOL! Just my humble opinion.

Adiana:type: :mullet:
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    Yes, I agree that they're are many dubious research programs being funded in the world today. I have a hard time with a lot of the research which uses animals as subjects. And there are others that are clearly ridiculous.

But the one you mentioned about the alligators might be about Dioxin, which would be a very valid study.

Brigid

Hi Brigid,

I have another for you.

Do you know that a cat blinks always before you hit it over the head with a hammer?:confused:

Now this was research that was funded at one stage. Now I'm a cat person, so this ticks me off no end. Do we need this sort of research?

How about finding cures for Cancer, AIDS, Violence?

Sometimes I believe it's resarch for research's sake. Although Dioxin research may be a valid subject, why? do we need it, if we already know that it is poisonous? eg. Bald eagle egg fragility etc. (yes I know that was DDT), you get my point though?

We know that PCB is dangerous-I used to work with the sh**. I don't need to drink it to calculate its toxicity...:zombie:

I also know that if I inhale asbestos fibres I will get asbestosis and/or mesothelioma. In fact in this country we knew about the dangers of Asbestos , in 1937 Our fascist bully-boys of industry only stopped mining it in 1973! because around 2500 ex-miners and support people (wives etc.) were dying from inhalation of the sh**!:-/

And we have the "best"-most poisonous type, Crocodilite, right here in Aus. woohoo!

regards,

thanks for your input everyone-cool.

Xrayman
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I would prefer to see hundreds of such projects, however apparently bizarre, costing a few hundred thousand sponduliks rather than more and more war preparation costing billions.
  • edited March 2006
    Amen to that, Simon!!!
  • edited March 2006
    What a coincidence! I got a package from my 80 plus year old Aunt in Scotland today and on the back was a very large sticker saying "People need water, not weapons!"

Yay! My Quaker Auntie Mu rocks!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I would prefer to see hundreds of such projects, however apparently bizarre, costing a few hundred thousand sponduliks rather than more and more war preparation costing billions.

YES! I'm with you on that one, too, Simon. VERY good point.
    When I found out how much the Canadian government was spending on defense from an invasion by the USSR in the 80's I nearly went out of my head! Billions!

Knitwitch,

What a cool auntie you have! That's the kind I want to be to my nieces and nephews.

Brigid
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I'm reposting this bit, it may have been lost in translation.

"How about finding cures for Cancer, AIDS, Violence?"

regards,

Xray
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    And education!!!!!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    And education!!!!!

I'm not sure that there is a cure for education.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    LOL!

Nice one, Simon!

Brigid
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Death would suffice.
  • edited March 2006
    Xrayman wrote:
    Death would suffice.

I doubt it ..... anyone passing by where my ashes are scattered will still hear me repeating "no, lovie, one person, two PEOPLE"
  • edited March 2006
    I just heard a good one on the radio this morning:

6 million dollars was spent to research that kids that go on Spring Break end up getting sick from drinking too much, having sex with multiples partners, and getting STD's.

Well no crap!!!
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Hi Yoga,

I agree. What do they hope to learn with sort of research?

Have you ever heard of the LD50 test? This is a test used in research (using animals) as to what Lethal Dosage will kill 50% of the animals tested-animals are fed stuff like poisons and cleaners and even sugar and other (supposedly harmless) materials until they die. What do we need to know this for? if it makes them sick, then it probably is close to being enough already! Friggin' Hell.

I'm no scientist, but if you feed me sugar or even Vindaloo (mmm Vindaloo), I'm sure at one point I'll die. There you go! I've just saved the scientific fraternity $50,000!

*Maybe I'll become a scientist*

regards,
    Xray
  • edited March 2006
    The bit that sickens me Xrayman is that these lethal tests are repeated over and over again on the same type of products - so rather than Loreal saying - hey Maybelline just did a lethal test on their new mascara, let's buy their results from them, they go and do it all over again.

And the results are - eating mascara in vast quantities kills rats! Well bugger me!
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Another pet peeve of mine (but somewhat related to "research") is statistical analysis.

Apparently, according to research, Australian Men under the age of 25 are more likely to die on the roads on a friday night. As opposed to their female counterparts.

Now does this mean
    A. men under 25 have bad health?
    B. higher risk takers
    c. There is satistically more of them on the road on friday nights?
    d. they drive too fast?
    e. they drink too much and have accidents
    f. they are victims of other driver's poor road/car handling skills?

etc. etc.

The Stats can prove or disprove anything

regards,
    Xray
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    A real beauty I just heard of a month ago was

A study showed that "Alcohol was a contributing factor in car/person collisions".

Now I investigated this further and discovered that the study had found that out of 50 accidents involving pedestrians and vehicles, in 30 of those accidents, the pedestrians were drunk or under the influence of drugs and had fallen into the path or walked into the path of the vehicle !

So the stats showed yes there was a correlation-but the media beat it up to somehow make it appear that the drivers were under the influence!

regards,
    Xray
  • edited March 2006
    Xrayman wrote:
    Another pet peeve of mine (but somewhat related to "research") is statistical analysis.

Apparently, according to research, Australian Men under the age of 25 are more likely to die on the roads on a friday night. As opposed to their female counterparts.

Now does this mean
    A. men under 25 have bad health?
    B. higher risk takers
    c. There is satistically more of them on the road on friday nights?
    d. they drive too fast?
    e. they drink too much and have accidents
    f. they are victims of other driver's poor road/car handling skills?

etc. etc.

The Stats can prove or disprove anything

regards,
    Xray

Absolutely! Lies, damn lies and statistics. I tried explaining this to a friend who coldn't see it - what is the most common colour of overcoat for men in the city of London? Black, right? So you could publish statistics that would show you are more likely to be run over if you are wearing a black overcoat because 90% of men involved in accidents in the City of London were wearing them. You could just as well say that 100% of men involved in accidents were wearing trousers, so if you want to avoid them, wear a kilt!