Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

religious affiliation by U.S. state

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
edited October 2011 in Faith & Religion
A friend sent this along in email. Just put your cursor on the U.S. state and the numbers pop up.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/graphics/pew-religion-08/flash.htm

Comments

• 1% of Montanans are Buddhist... that's more than I expected!
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    1% of Montanans are Buddhist... that's more than I expected!
    It's all those mountain lions and rattle snakes, dontcha know? :)
  • No data for Hawaii, but I would imagine we have a higher Buddhist population due to the number of asians
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    i was shocked to see that michigan only has a 1% muslim population. after all, dearborn has the highest concentration of arab americans in the nation.
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited October 2011
    The UK is about the size of some of your states give or take some, so here are stats from 2001 to compare.

Buddhist 152,000 0.3%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_United_Kingdom#Statistics

The new data from the 2011 census should be available soon, cant wait to see the percentage of Buddhists shoot up.
  • I seriously doubt any of the numbers on Buddhists are remotely accurate. Has anyone asked *you* if you were a Buddhist recently? Rather, anyone with a clipboard or a computer, who worked for a polling company?
  • i was shocked to see that michigan only has a 1% muslim population. after all, dearborn has the highest concentration of arab americans in the nation.
    Isn't it the highest concentration of Arabs outside the middle east?? Maybe that's old data (France is undoubtedly higher). Maybe it was per capita or something. Anyway, it's a lot I know. Good humus though!
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    i was shocked to see that michigan only has a 1% muslim population. after all, dearborn has the highest concentration of arab americans in the nation.
    Isn't it the highest concentration of Arabs outside the middle east?? Maybe that's old data (France is undoubtedly higher). Maybe it was per capita or something. Anyway, it's a lot I know. Good humus though!
    i always just heard 'within the US'. the only thing i can think of is that perhaps there aren't as many muslims as you would think. i guess when i really think about it, i meet a lot more chaldeans than muslims. perhaps i just always assumed that chaldeans were more open about their religion than muslims due to the current prejudice.

good point about the data though. i was wondering, if such a clip board carrying census member wandered upon the internet and onto this board... how many people on here wouldn't even consider themselves buddhist? i feel like there are quite a few that would shy away from the label for some reason.
  • Azackly...

Maybe we need to get t-shirts made that say "It's Okay to be Buddhist!" :)
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    As a gizmo, I kind of liked the map ... zipping around with the cursor and getting instant numbers. But I maintain a skeptical eye ... reminding myself gently that there are "lies, damned lies and statistics."
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    No data for Hawaii, but I would imagine we have a higher Buddhist population due to the number of asians
    I read somewhere that Buddhism is the "official" religion of Hawaii.

• Wow, look at Utah. They got that state wrapped up. :D