Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is anyone famialiar with the "mantra of experience"

edited October 2011 in Buddhism Basics
I was reading Chogam Trungpa"s book the Truth of Suffering. In it he mentions the "mantra of experience" also known as the "sixteen incantations".In this practice he states the 4 noble truths are recited 4 ways,in order to build conviction in the teachings.
He states the first set of four is the 4 noble truths,the second set that the 4 noble truths are impermanant,the third that they should be seen clearly and the fourth that there is no suffering,no origin of suffering,no goal and no path.
I am obviously not a scholar, but was not able to google anything under those phrases.Also I now live in a town with no access to a teacher.I previously participated in years of lay teachings and sitting practices and never heard of this mantra .
Anyone?
As a clue,it says it is recited to develop ngepar shepa (thorough conviction)
Thank you in advance .

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    @grout4cake -- I am not familiar with what you read, but it sounds to me like an encouragement to approach and appreciate and actualize the Four Noble Truths in various ways. I could be wrong, but it sounds like coming upon a friend's house: You can go in the front door, the back door or one of the side doors. Or perhaps the uses to which a ball might be put ... kick it, bat it, roll it, throw it, etc.

Imagining that there is only one way that will provide a thorough understanding simply does not compute. It's nothing fancy. It's just a fact.

Or anyway, that's my take.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited October 2011
    I don't know of a traditional practice that does that. When I regard that mantra, it seems like a proactive way to cut at the root of spiritual materialism that arose with the introduction of Buddhism to the west around the 60s. Remember that much of Trungpa's works were transcribed from talks he gave to audiences that were begging for spiritual fulfillment, and then becoming buddhists to fill a void. This led many to grasp the truths of their new spiritual awakening with tight fingers, and they grew buddhist personalities, underpinning ego with spiritual ideals. "I love you, man, cause I'm a buddhist" and "I do the enlightenment thing." Etc.

Trungpa used many types of "buddhism is empty, no clinging to the raft" methods of meditation and instruction. He even has a collection of talks in a book "Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism" where he approaches the issue directly and pragmatically, and offers many "truth is truth, but truth is illusion" type lessons.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited October 2011
    A very good post...
    I don't know of a traditional practice that does that. When I regard that mantra, it seems like a proactive way to cut at the root of spiritual materialism that arose with the introduction of Buddhism to the west around the 60s. Remember that much of Trungpa's works were transcribed from talks he gave to audiences that were begging for spiritual fulfillment, and then becoming buddhists to fill a void. This led many to grasp the truths of their new spiritual awakening with tight fingers, and they grew buddhist personalities, underpinning ego with spiritual ideals. "I love you, man, cause I'm a buddhist" and "I do the enlightenment thing." Etc.

Trungpa used many types of "buddhism is empty, no clinging to the raft" methods of meditation and instruction. He even has a collection of talks in a book "Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism" where he approaches the issue directly and pragmatically, and offers many "truth is truth, but truth is illusion" type lessons.
  • The way he termed it as a mantra used to bolster conviction in Tibetan terms led me to believe it could be commonly used in the monasteries rather than aimed particularly at a western sangha.Also his use of the word incantation to identify it made me think perhaps it was originally Bon.

I found it interesting that early on one would destroy the ground at the same time the ground was being laid.....On this forum and in much of Buddhism, the four noble truths become a kind of a foundation of all other teachings. This teaching ,however,,eliminates the possibility of resting on anything right from the start.It also reminds me of how one is never allowed to practice the deities as really existing, almost like an exercise.
    It eliminates behavior as an objective and aims immediately into the inquiry of the mind.

I would be interested to memorize it as a reminder of clinging to dogma.