Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Thanks a Lot, Tom Corbett *facepalm*

MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
edited October 2011 in General Banter
3 days ago, which is 1 day after my birthday and the day I got my driver's leaner permit, the Pennsylvania governor, Tom Corbett (who was a huge d*** in the first place), signed a new law that doesn't allow drivers under the age of 18 have more than three passengers (excluding immediate family members, and you can only have one passenger until you're 17). Also, rather than having 50 hours behind the wheel practice before receiving your license, you must get 65 hours practice.

So what does this mean for me? Well, I was planning on baby sitting my niece and nephew again this Summer. Hopefully I could drive them to a park or something like that. Nope nope nope. Corbett screwed me over on that one. What about Sara's niece and nephews which are practically her kids?! She is forced to watch them constantly, and they never get out of the house - so she was hoping she could drive these kids somewhere like I park. Nope nope nope. Corbett screwed her too. Why the Hell do these old men of authority always assume that ALLLLL teenagers pile other teenagers into their car and go out to parties rather than sh** like I was gonna do.

This really sucks. Also, since I got my permit before this law was enacted, does that mean that (in regards to the practice time thing) I don't have to do those extra 15 hours practice driving? I was told when I got my permit I only had to do 50, which was before it was changed to 65. So, like I said, am I grandfathered in? Its not a real big deal, though, compared to the other issue.

“You think we’re picking on you? We are, we really are,” Corbett said. “We singled you out because we want you here a long time from now.”

Yeah. Screw you too, Tom. You want us here a long time, but you take money specifically away from the schools. You sure do care about the kids, don't you? *headdesk*

---
And you banned texting while driving for ONLY TEENAGERS? YOU DUMB***, BAN IT FOR EVERYBODY! NOT JUST TEENAGERS! Gah!!!

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    If I just my license I'd be upset too, but since I'm not and I have to share the road with new drivers I think this sort of thing is a good idea, sorry MindGate. You seem like a fairly responsible teen and having taking your niece and nephew to the park wrapped up into this law is a negative. But I've been a teen driver and ridden with other teen drivers and we pretty much thought it was one big game when a bunch of us were together in a car.

I'd say drive your niece and nephew to the park and I'd be really surprised if a cop busted you for that, though I suppose they could if they were in foul mood.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited October 2011
    I'd say drive your niece and nephew to the park and I'd be really surprised if a cop busted you for that, though I suppose they could if they were in foul mood.
    lol, no, the cops would. Trust me. And then I wouldn't be able to drive at all. .....
    But I've been a teen driver and ridden with other teen drivers and we pretty much thought it was one big game when a bunch of us were together in a car.
    Yeah, sure, ban TEENAGERS from being those passengers - or at least extend the family restrictions. Not letting me take my family to the park or to the mall or something is ridiculous. They automatically assume I'm going to have teens, teens, teens with me because thats what the majority does. Democracy is like two wolves and sheep deciding what to have to diner. They never take into account the odd ones out and eventually ruin it for them.
    lol Sorry for the excessive swearing. At least I bleeped them out with asterisks. I was just upset.
  • As a general principle in life, if you need to vent, write it out in Word or Notepad or something, then leave it for a little while. Come back and read it aloud to yourself and see if it sounds skillfully worded, or if it (as is generally likely) seems to need some editing in order to come across as skillful speech :)

Too bad about the driving, but as with all things, this too shall pass. Laws like that are enacted for a reason - they are not arbitrary. Statistically speaking, young drivers like yourself are **much** more likely to be involved in fatal crashes than more experienced drivers. You'll get there though...

• edited October 2011
    You'll get those driving hours done in time for summer, don't worry. And yeah, it sounds like you're a grandfathered 16-yr old! Or is it a 16-year-old grandfather? I mean, er... :scratch:
    But maybe you should contact the Motor Vehicles Dept. to check on that.

The grocery store my parents used to use decided to ban teens, because the local highschool was nearby, and the store would get mobbed by teens at lunch hour, and some would shoplift. Aside from the fact that it's technically illegal to ban an entire class of people (that is, the kids'd win in court if they chose to sue), my question was: what about the teens who are living with grandparents they're helping care for and do the shopping for, or those who are responsible for helping raise younger siblings, or for caring for an invalid parent? There are so many stereoptypes in society. A few black sheep end up spoiling it for the whole flock. Sounds like the guv thinks you're going to be doing drag racing at night, or something.

It'll all work out, MG. Stay cool. We're mellow, unflappable Buddhists, aren't we? ...no? *shrug* Oh well. So much for equanimity. :coffee:

Yeah, pretty dumb banning texting only for teens. Sounds discriminatory. Cell phone use while driving should be illegal everywhere.
    It'll all work out, MG. Stay cool. We're mellow, unflappable Buddhists, aren't we? ...no? *shrug* Oh well. So much for equanimity. :coffee:
    :lol:

Well, anyways, me, Sara, and her two nephews are going to walk to the police dept. tomorrow and ask them about the law. Hopefully the two nephews will guilt them into saying that nephews can be extended to mean "immediate family" if she is the one who takes care of one.
  • This is interesting. Let us know how the strategy works out. But while you have your learner's permit, you have to have an adult in the car until you pass the drive test anyway, right?

btw--watch out in parking lots. People do really stupid stuff in parking lots sometimes, and it's always the fault of the person pulling out of a parking position, no matter what happens. Be on the lookout for idiocy in general.
  • People in charge are always passing laws to fight imaginary problems, especially when it only upsets the people who aren't going to fund their campaigns, anyway.

Yeah, it sucks. Last I checked, there is no epidemic of teenagers cramming a car full of their buddies and going for wild high speed joy rides. Then again, there's no epidemic of undocumented immigrants taking all those great Wallmart jobs from citizens and terrorizing the countryside, but Arizona passes laws like there is. So go figure.

Maybe your generation will find a way to increase the intelligence of the typical politician.

• My sister is a senior risk analysis manager for Geico insurance. I can *assure* you that there is more than ample statistical evidence that people 16-24 are far and away the highest risk group of drivers. That's why their insurance premiums are the highest of anyone.
  • I think that law is as good one. In the UK we can learn to drive at the age of 17, but to actually drive you have to have someone in the passenger's seat with at least 5 years of having their full licence.

If you had kids driving around (and below the age of 18 that is still a kid TBO), then who is to know of their driving ability even if they have simply paid for a learners permit as they are a certain age.

If I was the governor, then I would probably try to pass an even 'harsher' law, something along the lines of the only way you can drive with a mere learners permit on public roads is in a lesson from an actual instructor. That way, it is the safest bet for the community and the driver, plus if you get lessons from friends/familiy members, you often adopt bad habits and it causes arguments in a lot of cases.
  • My sister is a senior risk analysis manager for Geico insurance. I can *assure* you that there is more than ample statistical evidence that people 16-24 are far and away the highest risk group of drivers. That's why their insurance premiums are the highest of anyone.
    Hm...by that standard, why are we not completely outlawing all drivers under the age of 24? So we've decided to only let them endanger three more people at a time with their wild driving, instead of four? For that matter, what possible difference is there between driving with two people in the back seat and three people? If it's dangerous for young drivers to pack a car with passengers, then it's dangerous for older ones, too. So why did the new law only apply to young drivers? And since all back seats have seat belts, why not just pass a law making it mandatory for everyone in the back seat to wear a seat belt, like it is for the front passenger?

Because laws that apply to teenagers but not older adults are always popular, even when they make no sense. We all know those lawless, dangerous, rap-music-listening, barely civilized critters are a danger to us all. There is a so-called mental health and counciling chain in the political news recently where the owner openly calls all teenagers "barbarians" who only need more discipline.

So the argument isn't does a younger driver get in more accidents (and most of those and minor fenderbender type). It's does the law make sense, or is it just a notch on a political belt.

I remember a long time ago, when I was a teenager.
  • edited October 2011
    It is true that other countries take driving instruction much more seriously than in the US. Some countries require several drive tests and several written tests, with required study in between. The instruction offered in the US is very basic, and doesn't prepare people adequately for unexpected situations.

It occurs to me as I write this, though, that the way oil and auto interests have dominated life in the US, taking over and eventually destroying public transportation systems around the country (back in the 1950's), driving is a necessity, not a luxury, as in some parts of the world. Corporate interests have set it up that way. So maybe it serves their interest to ensure that everyone can get a license, and get it easily. Just thinking out loud, but it fits the picture.

I don't think there's any denying that (some) teens can be reckless drivers, and may drive under the influence of alcohol. But this doesn't represent all teens. The heedlessness of some spoils it for everyone.

Keep on keepin' on, MG. Adulthood is no walk in the park, either. You'll get there faster than you think.
  • The biggest fatality to teens is driving or motor accidents in general. We all know that teens in general make worse decisions than that of adults, 'in general'. Peer pressure to do things, fitting in, substances and everything else that can go along with teen life can easily contribute to a bad situation on the road.

If I can remember correctly, in the UK these days you need to first have 10 official lessons with an actual instructor (at the least), then pass the written exam, then there is a hazard awareness exam and then of course your actual test.

I took a few lessons because I thought it was essential for me to drive, then I started to add up everything I would have to pay if I did drive and have a car, being a student at the time I left the idea. Now in thailand I there is even more of less importance to drive. If I wanted to I could take the thai test because it is not that hard here, or drive motorbikes without a licence, but there is a certain charm to public transport and traveling around on trains and buses I find.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited October 2011
    Focus on the positive, MG. You have your learner's permit. Don't let changes in the law get you down. Jump and scream and stomp, get mad, :rant: then let it go. This time will fly by. You're about to get some good practice at winter-driving, how to deal with ice. I could use that.

Where I live, by far the most drivers getting stopped for driving after using alcohol, causing accidents (and deaths) due to alcohol, are adults. Ban adults from the roads, to make them safer to teenagers! (We need a raised fist emoticon, like Vix's avatar.)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2011
    Your doing fine Mindgate, but in my experience as a teen there is a lot of social pressure to stand out and sometimes that means antics from passengers and risky driving to impress.

Now that is a stereotype but I have seen it directly in my life experience as a teen. I don't know where to draw the line 35 50 65? Who knows?

As far as driving under the influence some people do it for years without getting caught, and then some people get caught their first time. My ex got DUI and I drove her to a whole series of classes she had to go to, pee tests, probation officer, and picked her up from jail when she only completed 75% of her community service. After being pulled out of her bed by a law enforcement officer. Moral of the story is don't let that happen to you or worse.